Vulture

Spider-Girl

#4 Posted by Lvenger (19870 posts) - - Show Bio

Miles Morales

Squirrel Girl

Challengers of the Unknown

Hawk and Dove

Brian Michael Bendis

@TheCannon: Superman?! If it wasn't for him there would be no comic book industry. He represents the archetypal superhero, the measure by which all other heroes are judged by. He was the first proper superhero. He represents the Big Bang of the superhero genre. I take it you don't like him but his role in creating the comic book industry today can't be overlooked.

#5 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sobe Cin:I actually had to research Skitter. But you're right: let him die.

#6 Posted by TheCannon (18697 posts) - - Show Bio

He's overrated. If Spider-man, Batman, and the Fantastic Four debuted at the same time he did, Superman would be ranked with those like the Punisher. Somewhat popular, but he's just to overrated.

#7 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman temporarily disappearing again if it meant we got story quality on the level of '52'...

#8 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan said:

I wouldn't mind Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman temporarily disappearing again if it meant we got story quality on the level of '52'...

I definitely agree with that.

now it's more about characters you'd like to see permanently removed.

#9 Posted by Lvenger (19870 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: But they didn't. Those ideas wouldn't have been possible if the idea for Superman hadn't been around. Superman preceded all other superheroes and created the archetype from which the other types of superheroes e.g anti heroes like the Punisher, sci fi heroes like Captain Mar-Vell and mystical heroes such as Doctor Strange amongst others. Even the heroes that completely deviate from Superman wouldn't have been possible were it not for him.

#10 Posted by TheCannon (18697 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@TheCannon: But they didn't. Those ideas wouldn't have been possible if the idea for Superman hadn't been around. Superman preceded all other superheroes and created the archetype from which the other types of superheroes e.g anti heroes like the Punisher, sci fi heroes like Captain Mar-Vell and mystical heroes such as Doctor Strange amongst others. Even the heroes that completely deviate from Superman wouldn't have been possible were it not for him.

If they hadn't made Superman, they still would of made Batman. Then he would get the credit your giving Superman.

#11 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Weren't Doc Savage and The Shadow the first two?

#12 Posted by Lvenger (19870 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: Batman was created in response to the success of Superman. Editors at National Publications (DC Comics in the future) requested more superheroes to be created in 1939. It was then Bob Kane and Bill Finger created the Batman. And Wonder Woman was created with the intention of being a female version of Superman. So without him, DC's other two biggest creations would never have come about.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (19870 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis: Your knowledge is very impressive. I had forgotten about those two. But the point I'm making is that Superman created the archetypal superhero genre. When people think of superheroes they think of people in colourful tights with powers or abilities fighting crime. Superman was the first proper example of this.

#14 Posted by TheCannon (18697 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@TheCannon: Batman was created in response to the success of Superman. Editors at National Publications (DC Comics in the future) requested more superheroes to be created in 1939. It was then Bob Kane and Bill Finger created the Batman. And Wonder Woman was created with the intention of being a female version of Superman. So without him, DC's other two biggest creations would never have come about.

Wonder Woman I'd give you they wouldn't of made. But they still would of made a character called Batman for some one-shot book. Maybe a little different, but still the same character. Then he would of been popular enough to create people like Aquaman and Green Lantern. Then, when Stan Lee left DC and went to Marvel, he would still create Spider-man, the FF, Thor, Hulk, and all those guys. Superman really had no impact.

#15 Posted by Lvenger (19870 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: It was only after Superman's success that Batman was created. There's been no mention of the idea of Batman being created without Superman debuting first. The idea for Batman only came after Action Comics #1 and it was seen that Superman was incredibly successful so National Publications wanted to replicate that success with more superheroes. And thus the Batman was born.

#16 Posted by TheCannon (18697 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@TheCannon: It was only after Superman's success that Batman was created. There's been no mention of the idea of Batman being created without Superman debuting first. The idea for Batman only came after Action Comics #1 and it was seen that Superman was incredibly successful so National Publications wanted to replicate that success with more superheroes. And thus the Batman was born.

Let's say I agree with you. Marvel (known as Timely Comics back then) would of still made Captain America and Namor. The only difference for those characters would of been Captain America would of been called Super American.

#17 Posted by Lvenger (19870 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: Super American doesn't sound like a great superhero name but I get where you're coming from. Cap was more of a propaganda tool as were a lot of other superheroes back in WWII, Superman and Batman included. The difference is Cap was created with the intention of being a propaganda tool whereas Superman was already a superhero beforehand and simply utilised as a propaganda tool afterwards. One of the main things I'm interested in about superheroes is their use as propaganda both in WWII and the Cold War. A lot of Marvel characters took a negative stance against communism and upheld American values. Very useful propaganda tools.

#18 Posted by TheCannon (18697 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@TheCannon: Super American doesn't sound like a great superhero name but I get where you're coming from. Cap was more of a propaganda tool as were a lot of other superheroes back in WWII, Superman and Batman included. The difference is Cap was created with the intention of being a propaganda tool whereas Superman was already a superhero beforehand and simply utilised as a propaganda tool afterwards. One of the main things I'm interested in about superheroes is their use as propaganda both in WWII and the Cold War. A lot of Marvel characters took a negative stance against communism and upheld American values. Very useful propaganda tools.

the point is they still would of made Captain America. The name would of been changed because they didn't want him to sound like a Superman rip-off. So they changed Super American to Captain America. He was still popular. Marvel still would of gotten Stan Lee, and they would be earning billions for the rest of the century, and much after that.

#19 Posted by Billy Batson (58023 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sobe Cin said:

I'll play----

Sentry

Deadpool

Skitter

um, Sentry's dead.
BB

#20 Posted by Lvenger (19870 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: You have just said that Timely would have changed the name to Captain America as they didn't want the character to sound like a Superman rip off. Admittedly the idea of an all American supersoldier battling against the Nazis is an interesting concept but that wouldn't have come about if the fascination for superheroes hadn't arisen following the emergence of Superman in 1938.

#21 Posted by TheCannon (18697 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@TheCannon: You have just said that Timely would have changed the name to Captain America as they didn't want the character to sound like a Superman rip off. Admittedly the idea of an all American supersoldier battling against the Nazis is an interesting concept but that wouldn't have come about if the fascination for superheroes hadn't arisen following the emergence of Superman in 1938.

they still would of made Batman, Namor, Captain America (although he would of been called Super American), Aquaman, Green Lantern, and just about everybody.

#22 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1527 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool

Fantastic Four

Superman (superman may be the inspiration for other characters but it still doesn't mean we need him around now)

any character who is so powerful that there aren't able to be actually used in any real storylines.

#23 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupremeHyperion said:

Deadpool

Fantastic Four

Superman (superman may be the inspiration for other characters but it still doesn't mean we need him around now)

any character who is so powerful that there aren't able to be actually used in any real storylines.

Oooh, but why deadpool? He's actually one of my favourites.

#24 Posted by Lukassrod (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, these are the ones I really want to disappear from comics:

Super-man - Yeah I know about his role in the industry and blah, blah, blah, but I don´t really care about him so he can go flying away from comics(just my opinion)

Ant man - It´s just so ridiculous that if it´s not for comic relief then it´s completely useless

The Wasp - The same thing as the above, the concept just doesn´t work

Red Hulk - Maybe the stories got better, but It just seen weird that a old man like General Ross would turn out to became a new Hulk when he completely hated the monster

The Vulture - I can´t really understand how an old man like Thomas would still survive after many and many punchs in the face when he is not a super-human, but just an completely useless character that need to give space to new and good characters

#25 Edited by TheWholeDamnShow (758 posts) - - Show Bio

Squirrel Girl

Emma Frost

Mystique

Booster Gold

Superman

WONDER WOMAN

#26 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Girl (Cassie)

What? don't give me that look. I've never liked her. Ever.

#27 Posted by Wolverine0628 (398 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Girl

Superboy

Spider-Girl

#28 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

Wonder Girl (Cassie)

It's awful to confess, but a few years ago I actually had a crush on your av.

Needless to say I hate Barbie Cassie too and could never understand what she possibly could add to the Titans.

#29 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

@Ravager4 said:

Wonder Girl (Cassie)

It's awful to confess, but a few years ago I actually had a crush on your av.

Needless to say I hate Barbie Cassie too and could never understand what she possibly could add to the Titans.

You're my new best friend

#30 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: My pleasure really. May I add that the castle's keep has a broad collection of beverages and associated cigars?

#31 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you mean disappear?

Written out of comics

Or disappear for storyline?

#32 Posted by The Stegman (24373 posts) - - Show Bio
Emma Frost The Punisher
#33 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman
Lois Lane
Storm

#34 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson:

No he's not, like all Marvel characters they have the power to resurrect like Jesus.

#35 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

-Hal Jordan

<3

#36 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lukassrod said:

Ant man - It´s just so ridiculous that if it´s not for comic relief then it´s completely useless

The Wasp - The same thing as the above, the concept just doesn´t work

GTFO

#37 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim Drake (most annoying character ever, complete BS that he could find Batman's secret identity when no one else could, hate his "detective skills", and when he is not whining, he behaves like he thinks he is Batman).

Terry Long (and he did but he should be RetConned out of existence).

#38 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor  
Wolverine 
Thor 
Wolverine 
Thor 
Wolverine 

#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger said:

Miles Morales

Squirrel Girl

Challengers of the Unknown

Hawk and Dove

Brian Michael Bendis

@TheCannon: Superman?! If it wasn't for him there would be no comic book industry. He represents the archetypal superhero, the measure by which all other heroes are judged by. He was the first proper superhero. He represents the Big Bang of the superhero genre. I take it you don't like him but his role in creating the comic book industry today can't be overlooked.

It's kind of redundant to wish for characters that are only going to exist for arc to be gone
#40 Posted by Lvenger (19870 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: I never really liked Challengers of the Unknown prior to the New 52. They've never starred in any successful storylines and the characters themselves had weak personalities and were kind of stereotypical. There was the ace pilot, the daredevil, the female member, the strong slow one and the scientist. I found their characters to be quite bland really.

#41 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger said:

@spiderbat87: I never really liked Challengers of the Unknown prior to the New 52. They've never starred in any successful storylines and the characters themselves had weak personalities and were kind of stereotypical. There was the ace pilot, the daredevil, the female member, the strong slow one and the scientist. I found their characters to be quite bland really.

well they are what the FF are based from
#42 Posted by Herokiller12344 (999 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry, cause he's an overpowered douche

EVERY Marvel Cosmic except Galactus - cause it makes Marvel look stupid.

Powergirl, cause her breast and butt are her ONLY defining traits.

#43 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@Herokiller12344 said:

Sentry, cause he's an overpowered douche

EVERY Marvel Cosmic except Galactus - cause it makes Marvel look stupid.

Powergirl, cause her breast and butt are her ONLY defining traits.

Sentry was just Marvel saying we can do Superman but better

And who needs Power Girl when we got Supergirl

#44 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

Superman

Vulture

Spider-Girl

YOU ARE DEAD TO ME!

:P

#45 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by Onemoreposter (4047 posts) - - Show Bio

Miles Morales (only if we get pete back, otherwise eh, he's ok)

Geoff Johns

General Sam Lane

#47 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

aquaman= talks to fish

green lantern hal jordan

daredevil- lame batman wannabe

war machine- never liked the character

falcon- just die already lame name, powers and stupid communicate with birds

#48 Posted by Onemoreposter (4047 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01: Whats with all the hate for folks who talk to animals?

#49 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

Miles Morales (only if we get pete back, otherwise eh, he's ok)

Geoff Johns

General Sam Lane

If he's in then, Brian Michael Bendis.

#50 Posted by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01 said:

aquaman= talks to fish

green lantern hal jordan

daredevil- lame batman wannabe

war machine- never liked the character

falcon- just die already lame name, powers and stupid communicate with birds

???