Those 1st stories that grabbed you and made you a comic fan.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By goldenkey

I'm sure all of you remember what it was that made you get as addicted to comics as I did.  I had a couple loose books here and there handed down to me from where ever but it was always 1 issue and I never had the other parts.  A Spiderman here, a Batman there.  So one day when I was about 12 or 13 I walked into a comic book with some money and saw the small graphic novel for Days of the Future Past and picked it up.  2 days later I was in the same store and this time I picked up Dark Phoenix Saga.  I didn't who the characters were aside from the cartoons, was amazed when Jean Grey died, and thought "Wow, they die comicbooks"  Sure she came back to me about 5 more times but still. 
     The following week I decided to try Batman and was sold by a cover.  There was the Joker looking thru a camera with the word "Smile" on it.  Inside Batgirl gets shot, stripped, seemingly raped and the Joker tells me that Batman is just as crazy as all the loonies he goes after because of "One bad day" and the only difference between him and them is the motive.  Still my favorite illistration of any comic is inside this book where the Joker is sitting on a throne atop a pile of baby dolls that look like it could be a pile dead babies at first glance and all it says is "You're going mad."  What are some of the stories that grabbed you.  You've told this story before tell it me I want to know.
capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By capall

some white guy dressed in blue with red cape flying around, it was the superman movie i watched when i was young, always wanted to be like him growing up as a young innocent kid
Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

always wish i could answer this. i was five years old, i cant really remember anything other than
my beloved Dr.Doom Secret Wars figure, his Doom Tower, and my Optimus Prime Fruit Of The Looms that i pooped.

konshu101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By konshu101

Denny O Niel's run on Daredevil in the eighties. A few of the covers fired my imagination because I'd never seen anything like them before. They were more like Marvel covers of today. The stories were really dark and I was totally sucked in. Then there was an oversized 80 page Batman special I bought at a newsagents one day because it caught my eye. It had a prose piece at the back that blew me away and I can't even remember who wrote it. That was my first glimpse at the dark world of comic book Batman and I thought it was genius.
Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

The Secret Wars I inherited of sorts , then I started collecting Marvel Team ups (and still do) along with the occational Amazing Spider-man (normaly 80's) along with now aquiring the 90's Ghost Rider series when i come across them. The first time i started collecting a current comic line began with Thor 600 which was then joined by Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter and Utopia. I hope to keep getting more now and not just collecting ones from the past

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By pixelized

No Caption Provided
box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By box turtle

Someone gave me these reprints of the very first Amazing Spiderman series after I liked Spiderman 3 so much.  That got me hooked, so later I went to a comic store and got this She-Hulk comic, and then I was hooked on Secret Invasion.  Then I was in a hospital then so I needed those comics to occupy the time, so I got really into Dark Reign because it was starting then, and tadaa--I'm a huge comic fan.
goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goldenkey
@pixelized said:
"

"

what a wonderful wonderful picture 
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aronmorales

Hmm...

No Caption Provided
My father's book...
goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By goldenkey
@Aronmorales said:
"Hmm...

My father's book... "

What?  your father had something to do with the book or he gave it to you?
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aronmorales

No, he DID the book.
issues one through four.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

First I was browsing at a bookstore and found a book called The Sandman's Book of Dreams, not realizing it was based on a comic book. I really liked it. The next time I was near a comic store, I bought the first book in the Sandman series. Having also only recently seen Batman Begins, I was pleased to see how the normal DC characters were integrated into the Vertigo title (in this case the Scarecrow). Within the next few weeks I bought the rest of the series. After that, I bought some Batman trades. Eventually I branched out and got the Villains United trade. I decided I liked the villains in that (not the Secret Six, I've always disliked them), and bought some of the ongoing series which had them, as well as more trades over a period of a few months. Now I am a regular at my comic book store (a new one now, the old one closed), and have around 600 comics, if you include the trades.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13  Edited By jakob187

Actually, story's didn't get me into comics.  I used to collect cards of all kinds, particularly baseball cards.  Eventually, they started carrying the 1991 Marvel cards at the dollar store down the street, and they were 25 cents a pack).  I'm only missing two of the cards, and I knew who the X-Men and Spider-Man were from Saturday morning cartoons.  However, I was all of a sudden seeing characters I never heard of, like Thanos and Mephisto and Carnage and Warlock...and I was in awe of all the coolness they exuded.  I still have the cards (only missing one card, which is the Ghost Rider hologram card).  This led me over to Wal-Mart, since I didn't know about Bankston's and Golden's at the time (our local comic shops, Bankston's is focused heavily around comics and Magic, while Golden's is more about books in general and also some back issue comics).  They had this Spawn/Batman crossover comic there by a couple of doods named Frank Miller and Todd MacFarlane.  I thought it was pretty cool looking, and I knew who Batman was from the movies.  They also had these 3-comic packs.  One of them was a 3 pack featuring a character called Boof.  They also had a pack that had some Marvel ones in them, including a Warlock and the Infinity Watch #1 comic.  I thought I was hot $h!t for having a #1 comic.  LOL  The following week, I went back to Wal-Mart, and they had a new 3-pack.  It was called "Fatal Attractions".  At the time, I had no clue how big of a deal this was.  It came packaged with X-Men #25, Wolverine #75, and Excalibur #71 for $5.00.  The cashier told me I was buying some good comics for a good price, had no clue what that meant at the time.  Later, I would learn that a friend of mine had bought the other three books in the Fatal Attractions story arc at Wal-Mart for the same price because they weren't reprints like most comics were at Wal-Mart...they were originals that were just bundled together.  I went and checked out the three I had afterwards and found out that I had originals for those three! 

Nonetheless, it was really great when I got into comics.  It was all about discovery.  I would head down to Bankston's and was just in awe over all the artwork and stories.  I was so overwhelmed, and eventually, when Image got big and so many other comic companies started coming out, I really did feel overwhelmed and it was about the point where I stopped reading comics as hardcore as I did.  I ended up thinning my collection down quite a bit a few years back, but I've got a good number of essentials to my collection.  I also got on a really big graphic novel/trade paperback kick about a year ago and updated my library a little.  I feel a little lost when it comes to comics at this point, but I'm sure I'll find my way around soon enough.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

My first comic book was the thing that would later make me a huge comic book fan, but the stories that got me reading comics was The Ultimates, I was just walking through a Books A Million and found out that they sell comics there, I went through all of their TPB and saw The Ultimates Vol.1, I read it and was hooked, seeing the first part with Captain America back in World War II made me like Ultimate Cap probably more them 616 Cap, then seeing how realistic Iron Man looked in the second issue was just amazing, but seeing Hank beat up Jan was the thing that made the book one of my all time favorite, not seeing a man beat up his wife, but seeing how real the story felt (This is probably why I have such a huge love for the Ultimate U)