This Week’s Essential Comics: 10/3/2012

erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By erik_norris

It’s okay, change happens. It’s not the end of the world, we promise. As you may have noticed, we’re bringing a slight format change to what used to be “10 Comics to Buy This Week.”

Now, we’re not trying to tell anyone how to spend their hard-earned money, but our goal for this updated weekly column is for it to be something people can look to for near 100% accuracy when pointing out quality titles. Because as we all know, the problem isn’t finding comics to read, it’s reading the ones that make the most of your limited budget.

Firstly, you’ll notice our typical ten titles have been cut down to five (or there about). But we’re sticking with the old adage: quality over quantity. Lastly, outside further expansion on why we recommend each book, we’re also going to provide preview pages for each title (when available) to give you an idea how the book reads and looks. You can click each image to enlarge.

Animal Man #13 - $2.99

No Caption Provided

It’s finally upon us. The Rotworld crossover between ANIMAL MAN and SWAMP THING officially kicks off this week with Part One of their respective storylines. Here in ANIMAL MAN, we get “Rotworld: The Red Kingdom.” This issue guest stars the Justice League Dark, Beast Boy and a few other surprises.

ANIMAL MAN has been one of DC’s most consistent series in the New 52. Jeff Lemire has been building up to this event for some time now, including issue #12’s prologue. Finally we’re going to get to see what Anton Arcane has done with the world following a full-on Rot invasion.

If you haven’t yet bought into ANIMAL MAN, this week’s issue might be a solid place to jump in. Or, you could just run out and pick up the previous 14 issues (#1-12, #0, Annual #1). Trust us, it’s well worth it.

Daredevil: End of Days #1 - $3.99

No Caption Provided

Brian Michael Bendis returns to writing The Man Without Fear. Bendis teams up with writer David Mack and artists Bill Sienkiewicz, Klaus Janson and Alex Maleev to detail the final days of Daredevil’s life. Consider this series a swan song for Matt Murdock, written and drawn by the folks who helped make the character what he is today.

If you’re a fan of Bendis’ run on Daredevil from a few years back, as I am, then you’ll want to pick up DAREDEVIL: END OF DAYS #1. This first issue is a return to that dark, gritty procedural approach Bendis perfected on the last volume of DAREDEVIL. It really feels like a bookend to Bendis stellar run on the character.

Furthermore, there’s a great mystery set up in this first issue. I dare not spoil anything for you, but suffice it to say, the conclusion of END OF DAYS #1 will leave you drooling for more. And isn’t that what a good first issue is supposed to do… hook ya?

Legends of the Dark Knight #1 - $3.99

No Caption Provided

If you’re a digital reader, chances are you’ve already read this stellar first issue of the new LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT series. Up until this point, this series has been a digital exclusive, telling standalone Batman stories by some of the industries hottest talent.

Well, the anthology series finally comes to print, allowing those who prefer to hold physical copies of their books the opportunity to see what all the fuss is about. This first issue teams up writer Damon Lindelof with artist Jeff Lemire to tell a story about the early adventures of Batman.

Having read the book a few months ago, I can fully endorse this issue; it’s a stellar story with a great moral. Lindelof’s writing is witty and sharp, and Lemire’s pencil work fits the Dark Knight’s world surprisingly well. Don’t let this one pass you by if you have the $4 to spare.

Swamp Thing #13 - $2.99

No Caption Provided

While Animal Man is stuck dealing with the Red Kingdom, Swamp Thing remains trapped in the Green Kingdom. This issue marks the first part of Swamp Thing’s adventures in the Rotworld crossover. Expect some cameos from Poison Ivy, Deadman and the Parliament of Trees.

What is there left to say about Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette’s SWAMP THING? This series has been firing on all cylinders since its first issue, and things haven’t let up since. With the start of the Rotworld event, the stakes are now even higher.

But with Scott Snyder penning and Paquette drawing, we doubt SWAMP THING #13 will drop the ball. It’s been a longtime coming, but thank God the Rotworld event is finally here.

CBR has the exclusive preview for this:

Uncanny X-Force #32 - $3.99

No Caption Provided

We’re inching closer and closer to the end of Rick Remender’s phenomenal UNCANNY X-FORCE series. Judging from what we’ve seen thus far, the end of this series is probably going to brutally dramatic and quite explosive. We say: bring it on.

Now that X-Force has been reunited, they’re heading out to take the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants once and for all. However, judging from what we saw as a teaser for things to come at the beginning of last month’s issue, things are probably not going to go according to plan. But then again, when do they ever?

This book will be an obvious must-buy for those currently caught up on UNCANNY X-FORCE. For those who have not yet checked out the series, you might want to hold off and start with the series first story arc and work your way through it chronologically. The payoff of events will be so much more rewarding. For everyone all caught up, this is a definite buy this week.

[Preview not available.]

Erik Norris is a freelance writer for sites such as ComicVine, IGN and CraveOnline.com. You can stalk him on Twitter @Regular_Erik.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By zackattack529

i think Green lantern(part one of rise of the third army) should b up here as well as Phatom stranger(debut of new 52 raven)

but good list, im gettiing ALL of these :)

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

Screw everything else and hit me hard with SwampThing and Animal Man. I'm in the mood for blood, gore, zombies and the odd vegetable man with wings, and not necessarily in that order.

CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#3  Edited By CircularLogic

I'm just looking forward to a Beast Boy not written by Scott Lobdell and his partners in crime. Plus, unman Hawkman? I'm sold

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By jwalser3

I've waited to long to pick up animal man and swamp thing. I'll just pick it up TPB.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Animal Man, Fatale, Swamp Thing, Uncanny X-force. This is gonna be a good wk :)

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Holy...is that the New 52 Steel in Animal Man? He looks awesome!

GamerGeek360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By GamerGeek360

@zackattack529 said:

i think Green lantern(part one of rise of the third army) should b up here as well as Phatom stranger(debut of new 52 raven)

but good list, im gettiing ALL of these :)

I agree with Green Lantern but I think DC said Phantom Stranger has been delayed a week.

Avatar image for sweetesttoaster
sweetesttoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sweetesttoaster

To make a suggestion, Detective Comics #13 comes out this week. New creative team which looks to be better than the last one. Definitely can't wait for that. Can finally read Detective again.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Of all these, Legends of the Dark Knight #1 I'm getting because I've been wanting it ever since I heard about its digital debut. Now in hardcopy format I'm definitely going to get it!

caughtmau5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By caughtmau5

@zackattack529: Well said apart from Uncanny X-Force,Green Lantern is second most ESSENTIAL!!! :)

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By DonFelipe

There's only a few New 52 that surely rock! Snyder's Batman, Azzarello's Wonder Woman, and gory Animal Man are the best 3 so far, and by far. Speaking of gore galore... bring on the bloody Rotworld!

No Image Comics in the list! Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to the Non-Humans mini series, and of course the next issues of Fatale and Thief of Thieves.

JayMar89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JayMar89

Im going to have too pick up animal man and swamp thing just for steel

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By longbowhunter

Great selections this week. As much as I'd like to get Daredevil: End of Days, I'm gonna wait for it to be collected. It'll look nice on my shelf. The rest of the picks are absolute buys for me. Anxious to read the Lindelof and Lemire Batman story.

darth_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By darth_jones

Steel, Black Orchid, Red Beast Boy, and zombie Hawkman? What the hell is happening in Animal Man?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By DonFelipe

Oh. I'm also curious about what John Layman (Chew) will and can do with Detective Comics. Of course it will be overshadowed by Snyder's Batman anyway; especially with the Death of the Family arc coming up next week.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By Zeeguy91

I am definitely getting Animal Man and Swamp Thing. Those series have been nothing short of phenomenal. And I'm also glad that I can get a dose of Beast Boy without having to read Ravagers. That series just wasn't doing it for me. I'm also getting Action Comics, Green Lantern, GI Combat, and Amazing Spider-Man. I had previously dropped ASM because it was costing too much, but that cover and the synopsis drew me back in again. For this issue at least.

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bunkerbuster05

There are so many great books out, oh my lord.

i'm getting every book on this list. I get paid Friday so I don't give a flark.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18  Edited By Green ankh

wow nothing here for me.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck

@zackattack529: Phantom Stranger is out on 10/10. I contacted DC yesterday morning as I posted the article about Raven and their site said this week but Previews didn't have it listed.

To those that mentioned Detective, yes, I am curious too. The idea here is to go more with what we know in our recommendations versus what we think or hope will be great. Otherwise we'd have a crazy long list and end up being disappointed each week.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20  Edited By sora_thekey

Strange that there's no mention of AvX.

whitelantern64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By whitelantern64

What about earth 2 and fairest? Both of these have been equally as great

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cc1738

I'm getting Green Lantern.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I am actually not getting anything from this list this week

erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By erik_norris

@haydenclaireheroes said:

I am actually not getting anything from this list this week

Carve out the pull space, son. All good stuff.

Avatar image for carnivalofsins00
carnivalofsins00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

#25  Edited By carnivalofsins00

I've actually dropped GL after the 0 issue, so I think I'll give the new DD series a try instead. If Erik likes it, then I just might.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Mucklefluga

I'll be getting Uncanny X-Force (what an awesome ending to the last issue), Earth 2 (Yay! They're gonna fight together!) and Green Lantern (can't wait to see this new Green Lantern in action).

@sora_thekey: They've finally realised it sucks.

yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By yo_yo_fun

The Legends of the Dark Knight #1 sounds really good, I might have to pick that up.

I'm also getting Action Comics #13 this week.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28  Edited By sora_thekey

@Mucklefluga said:

@sora_thekey: They've finally realised it sucks.

I'm guessing you're not a fan... I've enjoyed it for the most part.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#29  Edited By Cavemold

Getting minum carnage that's all from this week

broo1232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 180

User Lists: 45

#30  Edited By broo1232

Avengers vs X-men #12

Avx vs #6

Swamp-thing #13

Uncanny X-force #32

Bobzenub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bobzenub

>No Non-Humans

I'm a saaaad plush panda.

Jawshco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jawshco

Good list, but I agree that Phantom Stranger should be here as well.

I wouldn't limit the number of books for these features. I'd like to see as many or as few "must read" titles as there are being published each week.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#33  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Animal Man and AvsX

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By butters911

No indies? I love Marvel and DC but there are a lot of great indie titles out there too. New issue of Fatale this week for example

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SmashBrawler

I'm getting from this list:

• Animal Man
  • Swamp Thing
  • Uncanny X-Force
  • Daredevil: End of Days

The rest:

• Action Comics
  • Dial H
  • Earth 2
  • Green Lantern
SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By SavageDragon

Earth 2, Fatale, Minimum Carnage and i will read A V X in the store.

Mowgli22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mowgli22

@zackattack529: yea green lantern should be up here.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SandMan_

No Action Comics 13 ? :(

AltyAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AltyAce

I will buy Earth-2 if James Robinson promises to be on this weeks podcast

Avatar image for deactivated-60c0fe8840030
deactivated-60c0fe8840030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to invest in the GL crossover, but Rotworld and Death of the Family are already breaking the bank for me. I may have to grab the GL stuff in trade.

On a side note--while I enjoyed most of the #0s, I'm glad they're finished now.

garlyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By garlyle

1. Uncanny X-Force

2. Uncanny X-Force

3. A sandwich of some sort

4. Uncanny X-Force

5. Uncanny X-Force