• 79 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (34907 posts) - - Show Bio

This week comes as quite a double-edged sword. Plenty of new and great issues is always a thrilling experience, but it literally comes at a heavy price. Odds are your wallets are going to really feel this one when you exit your local shop or checkout online. It was very tough narrowing down the titles, but we love the following and think they're worthy of a purchase. Because there were just so darn many, there's a massive honorable mentions section, too.

Don't forget to sound off below with your own list of essential comics this week!

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US #10

Every Tuesday shall now be known as "Injustice Day." Digital comics sometimes come with the stigma of not being as good as the titles on the stands every Wednesday. Not only is that hugely false, but this digital comic happens to be without question one of the best stories DC is currently offering. Writer Tom Taylor has been doing a brilliant job crafting the video game's prequel. This comic has run a gauntlet of emotions -- shocking yet hilarious, dark yet fun -- and this short read never fails to impress. For just $0.99 per issue, there's really no reason not to give this an honest chance.

IGN has a 3 page preview of the comic.

== TEASER ==

JUDGE DREDD YEAR ONE

IDW and 2000 AD are teaming-up to bring us an all-new story for Judge Dredd's earlier days. Written by 2000 AD Editor-in-Chief Matt Smith and illustrated by Simon Coleby, this mini-series dives into Dredd when he was fresh out of the academy at 18 years-old. Even if you've fallen behind on IDW's series, this has gotta be incredibly tempting for anyone who watched the recent Dredd 3D. I don't know about you, but the impressive film has absolutely sparked my interest in the character.

CBR has the remainder of the preview.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #2

Geoff Johns has revealed why Waller has created this team, and color me interested. In this second chapter, the team will continue to grow and we'll see what they want in exchange for their service. Claiming to have a huge impact on the rest of The New 52, it's safe to say this book needs to be on your radar if you want to know what's going down in DC's universe. Plus, Martian Manhunter gets his own back-up series. How awesome is that?

There isn't a preview available at the moment, but if one does pop up we'll be sure to add it.

NEW AVENGERS #4

Writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Steve Epting are during a superb job with the return of Marvel's Illuminati. As expected with Hickman, the scope here is huge, already involving the Infinity Gauntlet, and as yoiu can clearly see on the cover to the right, will include the return of the world eater, Galactus. If you're looking for a complex science fiction plot in Marvel's universe, this should be your go to title.

Head on over to CBR for more preview pages.

TMNT: THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE FOOT CLAN #4

I cannot praise this mini-series enough. Simply put: it's a must read if you even remotely like the Heroes in a Half Shell. Mateus Santolouco and Erik Burnham have been creating nothing short of magic with this book and this is the final chapter. Diving into the history of the IDW reboot, this series has been doing brilliant work expanding on the story we're all familiar with. If you really love the franchise, you'll do more than complain on the internet about the upcoming movie -- you'll read the comics.

Visit Comics Alliance for the rest of the preview.

SPECIAL SPOTLIGHT

X-O MANOWAR #11

'Planet Death' starts here! If you're a regular Viner, then odds are you know Mat ' Inferiorego' Elfring and I praise Valiant more than enough. So much, in fact, that you're probably sick of hearing it from us by now. While our rankings of their titles differ, we agree on one thing: X-O MANOWAR is nothing short of amazing. If you haven't been following along, then you'll be happy to know this serves as the perfect jumping on point. Upcoming GREEN LANTERN writer Robert Venditti has been killing it on this book and I have no reservation in calling it the best sci fi title out there.

Enjoy a preview below and then do yourself a favor and pick this one up. You can thank me and Mat later.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

• ACTION COMICS #18
  • ALL-NEW X-MEN #9
  • AVENGERS #8
  • CONSTANTINE #1
  • DAREDEVIL #24
  • DEADPOOL #6
  • HARBINGER #10
  • INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #5
  • INVINCIBLE #101
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE #18
  • NIGHTWING #18
  • NOVA #2
  • SAGA #11
  • SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #6
  • TMNT #20
  • WONDER WOMAN #18

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ and Twitter page in hopes of getting a new follower or two.

#1 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? Action Comics only got an honorable mention? Oh well, I'm excited.

#2 Edited by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

Most excited for New Avengers and Constantine.

#3 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7554 posts) - - Show Bio

From the list I am getting:

JLA, New Avengers, Action Comics, All New X-men, Invincible, Justice League, Nova, Superior Spider-man, Nightwing

#4 Posted by LifePool (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Just Deadpool and All-New X-Men for me.

#5 Posted by SNascimento (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Injustice is such a blast. I didn't expect it to be so good. Hope to see Aquaman in this next issue.

#6 Posted by wessaari (633 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess no one is curious as to how Jason Todd is faring after his face was burned off last issue, no just me?

#7 Posted by Ben3000 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Both TMNT books, JLA, Nova, Indestructible Hulk, and Injustice: Gods Among Us. I'm sure I'm missing a few others.

#8 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1174 posts) - - Show Bio

For me:

• JLA
  • Justice League
  • All New X-Men
  • Indestructible Hulk
  • Daredevil
  • Wonder Woman
  • Nightwing
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws

I will gladly get Action Comics next month once Morrison is finally gone.

#9 Edited by dreamfall31 (579 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman, Daredevil, Wonder Woman, and Constantine for me!

#10 Posted by Jake Fury (19189 posts) - - Show Bio
  • JLA
  • Saga
  • Justice League
  • Constantine
#11 Posted by chroinkero (68 posts) - - Show Bio

Getting a few of these this week and it looks like only Marvel:

All-New Xmen #9

Avengers #8

Deadpool #6

New Avengers #6

Superior Spider-Man #6

#12 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

Harbinger and XO! I think blsck beetle is coming out too

#13 Posted by Xwraith (21383 posts) - - Show Bio

Double shot of TMNT, and I might get DC Universe Presents (for Starfire).

#14 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Action Comics
  • Captain America
  • Daredevil
  • DC Universe Presents
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians
  • Justice League
  • Justice League of America
  • Superior Spider-Man
  • Sword of Sorcery
  • Wonder Woman
  • X-O Manowar
#15 Posted by dondave (38890 posts) - - Show Bio

DC

Action Comics #18

Batwoman #18

Birds of Prey #18

Catwoman #18

Constantine #1

Green Lantern New Guardians #18

Justice League #18

Justice League of America #2

Justice League of America's Vibe #2

Nightwing #18

Red Hood and The Outlaws #18

Supergirl #18

Swords of Sorcery #6

Wonder Woman #18

MARVEL

All New X-Men

Avengers #8

Cable and X-Force #6

Captain America #5

Deadpool #6

Indestructible Hulk #5

New Avengers #4

Nova #2

Savage Wolverine #3

Superior Spider-Man #6

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #21

X-Termination #1

Artifacts #26

Invincible #101

VALIANT

Harbinger #10

#16 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20443 posts) - - Show Bio

Judge Dredd : Year One looks awesome. I'm definitely buying that with it comes out as a paperback.

#17 Posted by odysseyuwrf (73 posts) - - Show Bio

How does Ultimate Spider-Man not get more love? That book has been hugely interesting and entertaining.

#18 Posted by havoc1201 (521 posts) - - Show Bio

no Red Hood and only an honorable mention for Nightwing?

#19 Posted by Icon (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics #18.The final issue of the Morrison/Morales run. Looking forward to it. Also JLA #2.

#20 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Saga and New Avengers for sure.

#21 Edited by munkieKONG (145 posts) - - Show Bio

hell... 12 books this week just from those listed here. this one will hurt the ole change purse.

#22 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers

Batwoman

Captain Marvel

Catwoman

Constantine

For me this week.

#23 Posted by modunhanul (415 posts) - - Show Bio

Is X-O MANOWAR good? If so, I might pick it up.

#24 Posted by Uncommon (377 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. All-New X-men #9
  2. Daredevil #24
  3. Avengers #8
  4. Superior Spider man #6
  5. Captain America #5
#25 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

JLA, JL, both TMNT books, Nightwing, and Ref Hood. Jeez, that's a lot of good reading this week!

#26 Posted by sagejonathan (2026 posts) - - Show Bio

Robert Venditti is such a great writer. I have high expectations for him. Also, READ VALIANT! Seriously, at least try one! They are phenomenal.

#27 Posted by Brownghost (47 posts) - - Show Bio

@modunhanul: yes, all of valiant has been great.

#28 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5311 posts) - - Show Bio

New Avengers, Avengers, All New Xmen, Cap America, Deadpool, Ind. Hulk, Daredevil, Superior Spidey, Nova JL, JLA, Action Comics, GL New Guardians, Judge Dredd yer one, TMNT Secret History of the Foot Clan, Saga, Invincible, XO Manowar.

#29 Posted by jstndmnd (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Just Vibe for me!

#30 Posted by The Stegman (25983 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't believe the first issue of Constantine only gets an honorable mention.

#31 Posted by darkwingdan (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: It's an outrage!!!

#32 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
I can. I'm not expecting much from it, especially comparatively.
#33 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League #18

#34 Posted by The Stegman (25983 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kal'smahboi said:
@The Stegman said:
Still it's the first issue of a new series, I would put it over a TMNT mini series. And I've never read Hellblazer so I have no baggage tied to the series, I'm excited for Constantine.
#35 Posted by Saranth (73 posts) - - Show Bio

My wallet will weep. It's one of those weeks.

#36 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8004 posts) - - Show Bio

All New XMEn, JLA, Daredevil, Batwoman, Saga, JL, Superior Spiderman.

Both Avengers Titles suck.

#37 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Heavy week, so many titles XP

#38 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
@Kal'smahboi said:
@The Stegman said:
Still it's the first issue of a new series, I would put it over a TMNT mini series. And I've never read Hellblazer so I have no baggage tied to the series, I'm excited for Constantine.
That's understandable. My apprehensiveness comes mostly from the preview, though. The rest actually is rooted in my love of the old series, as the creative team had more or less free reign over the universe the story was set in. Now they have several hundred rules and regulations that they need to tell a story around. It just can't compare.
#39 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22965 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi said:

this its the end of grant morrisons run! im so excited to see how he finishes it off!

im also getting nightwing 18, i might pick up JL 18 or not im thinking about droping it.

#40 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio
@AllStarSuperman said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

this its the end of grant morrisons run! im so excited to see how he finishes it off!

I know, me too :)
#41 Edited by k4tzm4n (34907 posts) - - Show Bio

HOLD UP. THIS GUY HAS DIFFERENT PREFERENCES THAN ME BUT STILL INCLUDED THE COMICS I LOVE IN HONORABLE MENTIONS?

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Said at least 5 people every week.

Yeah, Constantine starting is worth noting -- and that's why it's in the list -- but I've encountered way more people who are upset/concerned about it than thrilled for it. The others highlighted, however, we're pretty sure will rock your socks off. Then, they'll put them back on for you 'cause they're nice like that. As for Action Comics, it has felt really hit or miss, but clearly it's once again worth noting and that's exactly why it's included in the list.

#42 Posted by modunhanul (415 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brownghost: Thank you!

#43 Posted by Mezmero (968 posts) - - Show Bio

It's going to be a good week for me. JLA, New Avengers, Superior Spidey, Saga, Daredevil, Deadpool, and of course Wunda Womaaahn.

#44 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

JLA #2, Action Comics #18, Indestructible Hulk #5, and Justice League #18 for me with those listed.

#45 Posted by GothamRed (2553 posts) - - Show Bio

Both Avengers, JLA, Nova, Hulk, and All-New X-Men for me

#46 Posted by ME24601 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm picking up:

• Avengers #8
  • Batwoman #18
  • Constantine #1
  • Daredevil #24
  • Indestructible Hulk #5
  • Justice League #18
  • Justice League of America #2
  • New Avengers #4
  • Nightwing #18
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws #18
  • Saga #11
  • Sword of Sorcery #6
  • Wonder Woman #18
#47 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

There's this tiny part of me that wants Hopeless to kill off X-23 in the next issue just so I can make good on my promise to stop reading Marvel altogether and maybe actually be able to afford all the books that look interesting each week. (and don't worry, it's a really tiny part of me that I am actively trying to exorcise)

My list this week is Nova, DC Universe Presents: Starfire (because I liked the Red Hood one), and Red Hood (I'm honestly a bit terrified).

I dropped JLA because there's a coffin on the cover a few issues from now and frankly I am so sick of being teased or promised death in books that I'm just starting to get into. I did like the first issue though.

I'm beginning to think I need to be reading All-New X-Men to complement Uncanny X-Men...

#48 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2264 posts) - - Show Bio

JUSTICE LEAGUE #18 $3.99

WONDER WOMAN #18 $2.99

INVINCIBLE #101 [DIG] $2.99

ALL NEW X-MEN #9 NOW $3.99

AVENGERS #8 NOW $3.99

DAREDEVIL #24 $2.99

INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #5 NOW2 $3.99

NEW AVENGERS #4 NOW $3.99

NOVA #2 NOW $3.99

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #6 NOW $3.99

X-FACTOR #253 $2.99

#49 Edited by DonFelipe (1288 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

HOLD UP. THIS GUY HAS DIFFERENT PREFERENCES THAN ME BUT STILL INCLUDED THE COMICS I LOVE IN HONORABLE MENTIONS?

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Said at least 5 people every week.

Yeah, Constantine starting is worth noting -- and that's why it's in the list -- but I've encountered way more people who are upset/concerned about it than thrilled for it. The others highlighted, however, we're pretty sure will rock your socks off. Then, they'll put them back on for you 'cause they're nice like that. As for Action Comics, it has felt really hit or miss, but clearly it's once again worth noting and that's exactly why it's included in the list.

Good point! However, moving Hellblazer as Constantine from Vertigo to DC and the New 52 universe is a big story and it has sparked some controversy. Many of those people who may be upset and concerned will still pick it up and check it out. I really can't see how Constantine #1 is less essential than a #10 of Injustice: Gods Among Us (it's an adaption from a computer game, right?) or whatever TMNT story with all due respect to the fans of Injustice and the TMNT.

#50 Posted by Hanson724 (565 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America, JLA, Supergirl, GL New Guardians, Harbinger, XO Manowar and frickin' Saga!!!!