This Week's Essential Comics: 12/22/14

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Another edition of new comic book day is almost here and we want to make sure you're ready for it! The Comic Vine staff has reviewed the latest list of upcoming releasesand each of us are going to tell you what we're really, really anxious to read. We'll tell you why you should consider checking the issues out and provide a preview for each of 'em as well. Once you're all set seeing what we recommend, go ahead and tell the world what your list of essential comics is in the comments below. You just may motivate someone else to try a new comic!

Tony "G-Man" Guerrero's picks

SUPERIOR IRON MAN #3

No Caption Provided

This series continues to be a delight. We’re getting Tony Stark as, pretty much, a grade A jerk. He’s done some questionable things now but because if the Inversion Spell in AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS, his darker side has come out. You can’t necessarily call him a villain. Or can you?

That’s the fun in the series. He’s now doing what he wants and thinks is best for himself. This put him up against Daredevil. Last issue it really looked like Daredevil managed to get the upper hand over Tony but Stark managed to turn things around in a fascinating way. It seems like Tom Taylor and Yildiray Cinar are having fun on this book and it’s showing.

SECRET AVENGERS #11

No Caption Provided

All the pieces are falling into place. This series has a lot going on. The aspect of a smaller and secret group of Avengers working with S.H.I.E.L.D. is always an interesting topic. By continuing the story from the previous volume with M.O.D.O.K. defecting to S.H.I.E.L.D. has had obvious ramifications. This series makes it feel like everything that’s happened so far since issue #1 does matter. We’re still seeing seeds sprout that were planted back then. Despite this being a team book, we’ve been getting to see several different scenarios involving the different characters and this is where it all starts coming together.

Ales Kot brings different tones to this series. We get a nice mix of action and story with the occasional bits of humor thrown in. Michael Walsh always gives us a wide variety in layouts and panel structure that put you in awe. Remember that great (and gorgeous looking) scene in the rain with Hawkeye and Coulson at a standoff? It continues here and it appears we’ll be getting more updates on the other characters too.

ALL-NEW X-MEN ANNUAL #1

No Caption Provided

Did you read UNCANNY X-MEN ANNUAL #1? Brian Michael Bendis and Andrea Sorrentino continue the amazing and hidden time-traveling adventure featuring Eva Bell, one of Cyclops’ new X-Men. She was a character that didn’t immediately stick out for me among the other new characters. We didn’t get too many opportunities to see who she was or what she was about but the first part of this story really opened our eyes.

There’s still a lot of questions going on about the character and the years (for her) she’s been away. Hopefully the fact that no one really noticed she aged (or at least didn’t say anything right away) and the telepaths didn’t bring anything up will be addressed. Sorrentino’s art is making this story quite the visual journey.

DEATHSTROKE #3

No Caption Provided

Tony Daniel is delivering a thrilling new adventure with Deathstroke. This is the kind of series we’ve been waiting for. With the discovery that he’s missing some memories over a recent mission and the transformation he just went through, we’ve been getting almost non-stop action as Slade tries to get to the bottom of things.

Tony Daniel is handling the writing and art duties with great results. Each issue gives you the impression he continues to push himself further to give us the best art we could want. There’s been some pretty crazy and over the top action scenes. That’s exactly what we want with Deathstroke. But the issues have shown this isn’t just gratuitous and mindless action. There’s a fascinating story that keeps you coming back as you await for more pieces of the puzzle to be revealed.

Check out Man Cave Daily for one more preview page.

Honorable Mention: BATMAN ANNUAL #3

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring's picks

GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT #2

No Caption Provided

That first issue was awesome. It's one of the cooler things to come out of the New 52, and one of the best first issues writer Ray Fawkes has done during his time over at DC Comics. What really got e on board with this series was the fact Ben Templesmith was doing the art. This book will be showing us the more dark and mystic side of Gotham, with Jim Corrigan leading the way. Everyone else on the team is new, so it's actually a really great book for new readers to jump on because we're all essentially in the dark on this one. This has the potential to be one of the best books at DC because it's such a far step away from everything else and that first issue was just so dynamite. Check out GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT for sure.

Go to IGN for another preview page.

RASPUTIN #3

No Caption Provided

We all know how I feel about historical fiction. I've been praising MANIFEST DESTINY for about a year now. Currently, I have a new favorite piece of historical fiction called RASPUTIN. The character's mythos is so cool and both the first and second issue made it into each month's Top of the Pile. Writer Alexander Grecian and artist Riley Rossmo have something really special here as each month, we learn a little bit more about the mad monk and those who are closest to him, who are actually trying to kill him. RASPUTIN is a lot of fun and a beautiful book. You need to check it out.

CBR has one more preview page.

Honorable Mention: DEATH OF WOLVERINE: THE LOGAN LEGACY #7

Gregg "k4tz" Katzman's picks

ROBIN RISES: ALPHA #1

No Caption Provided

This is the moment so many of us have been waiting for. If you're still behind (tsk-tsk) and don't want a spoiler that was officially released months ago, skip to the next highlight!

Okay, I'll assume they're gone and say I'm beyond excited to see how Peter J. Tomasi plans to conclude Robin Rises. In the last issue, Damian was brought back to life and, thanks to some spoilertastic marketing, we also know he's now sporting some nifty super-powers! As if he wasn't arrogant enough already, the little dude is now going to be physically superior to his father, Batman, and he's returned from the dead! Stronger than before and he's defied death? This is sure to have a huge impact on his ego and I can't wait to see how it's all handled. Prepare yourselves for some amazingly rude and hilarious banter and more jaw-dropping action! You know, after we get all of the heartfelt father and son moments that Tomasi does so very well.

According to Channel 52, it looks like we'll get to see the lovable Robin test out his new might against Kalibak. Man, Darkseid's son isn't having a good year, is he? Damian is back and it makes me want to throw some confetti. Seriously, Robin Rises has been a total blast and I'm confident its conclusion will be more than worthy of your attention.

Go to USA Today if you want to read another page.

TMNT/GHOSTBUSTERS #3

No Caption Provided

This is a team-up I've been waiting over 2 decades to see. Obviously, that raised my expectations pretty high and thankfully, IDW's limited series has been every bit as fun and exciting as I hoped it would be. The story may not be all that thought-provoking (just yet, that is!), but man, it's clear Tom Waltz and Erik Burnham are having such a good time working with the character dynamics and capitalizing on all of the amusement this kind of team-up could generate. Throw in Dan Schoening's amazingly animated art (along with Luis Antonio Delgado's consistently enjoyable coloring) and this is a limited series that demands to be read by any TMNT and Ghostbuster fan. Come on, this issue has Donatello rocking a Proton Pack. What more do you need to know?

DEADPOOL #39

No Caption Provided

Yes, it's a bummer big events keep flooding into Wade Wilson's world -- something the writers have cleverly addressed in this arc -- but the creative team is rolling with the changes and it doesn't stop them from producing amazingly entertaining issues. At this point, co-writers Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn have more than proven they're the perfect writers to handle Wade's crazy world. Either that statement upsets you -- if so, stop buying the comic? -- or you agree they've been doing some tremendous work and can't wait to read yet another issue by them. Even when the bigger storylines from the 616 universe come crashing into Deadpool's story, the two writers find a way to add something significant to it instead of making it forgettable and filler chapters. I'm so glad we're seeing more of the FauX-Men and this is bringing about new drama in his marriage -- something I really hope that'll begin to receive even more attention.

With this issue, it's looking like it may be a little bit of a jarring experience if you're not following AXIS, but the intro page has you covered, so that really shouldn't be much of a problem. The co-writers continue to do an awesome job balancing heart, humor and action and Mike Hawthorne's style continues to be an equally awesome fit for this book. All in all, DEADPOOL puts a smile on my face and makes me care more and more about the Merc with a Mouth and his evergrowing group of friends. Give this a shot if you think Wade's nothing more than a reference-spewing clown.

SUPERMAN #37

No Caption Provided

How could you possibly miss another chapter of Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr's first story on SUPERMAN? Okay, I'm sure some of you out there have your reasons, but for everyone else, this is looking like it'll be gripping. The arc has done a solid job offering an insight into the Man of Steel and left us wondering about what Ulysses' true intentions are. Will it impact the way Superman views humanity or possibly even the way humanity views itself? So many people are rushing for the opportunity to leave this planet and go to a "better" place. How will the world respond upon seeing it's most likely a trick? And will we see Superman give Ulysses' some well-earned punches to the face? I certainly hope so! Even if it's devoid of action and spectacle (which seems pretty unlikely), Johns' handling of Superman and the narrative is absolutely worth the $3.99 cover price.

Uproxx has an additional preview page.

Honorable Mention: DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES #2

Corey "Undeadpool" Schroeder's picks

UNCANNY X-MEN #29

No Caption Provided

At LONG last the reading of Charles Xavier's will can come to pass with what I am SURE are no further delays, interruptions or massive revelations that require immediate action. Sure. Just like how superhero weddings always go off without a hitch. Brian Bendis has managed to prolong this storyline without hyperextending it or making it feel like it's dragging on and on, but I'm very interested in seeing how he finally ties it all together. Chris Bachalo's art has always been a pleasure to look at and amazing at telling a story, so it feels right that he be on this particular issue of a series he's helped define the current look and feel of so much.

DAREDEVIL #11

No Caption Provided

There's apparently some manner of NEW Daredevil in town, this one more of the Evel Knievel variety. Matt Murdock's had plenty to deal with over the last several issues, and it now seems that he'll have plenty more, both in terms of new players in town AND dealing with his newly opened old wounds after a particularly emotional run-in with the Children of Purple Man. Mark Waid and Chris Samnee haven't steered this ship wrong once, and I have no reason to believe they'll start here. It's odd for a superhero book, but I'm actually looking forward to the emotional content far more than any of the action or villains.

SHE-HULK#11

No Caption Provided

Ever since Jennifer Walters' relocated, mysteries about both her new digs and new co-workers have abounded and it looks like we're finally going to get to the bottom of at least one, if not more, of them. Charles Soule and Javier Pulido have crafted a singularly unique and interesting book, both in terms of the writing qualities and the visual aesthetic that's allowed for storytelling that is both grounded and incredibly surreal without sacrificing either or giving the reader a sense of cognitive dissonance. These enduring mysteries have been kept up for a long time, and it's good that we're finally getting some answers.

Honorable Mention: CATWOMAN ANNUAL #2

Follow us on Twitter: CV, Tony, Mat, Gregg, Corey.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

damn why they gotta release so many comics on Christmas week?

ANyway can't wait for SUPERIOR IRONMAN!!!

and ALL NEW X_MEN ANNUAL!!!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

You can totally call Iron Man a villain. I mean he's just got the whole of San Fran addicted to a Legal High and is now charging them for it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Unfortunately I am gonna have to dissapoint @k4tzm4n Because Superman 37 is the penultimate chapter of Johns' first arc.

Or at least thats what the solicits say:

Can there be peace and good will toward people without a price? Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. serve up some holiday shocks as they answer this question and more in this the penultimate chapter of “MEN OF TOMORROW”! And be warned – some significant changes are in store for the Man of Steel to ring in the New Year!

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Transformers1024

- Gotham by Midnight (can't wait!!!)

- Red Hood and the Outlaws Annual 2

- Saga Vol. 4 (can't wait!)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 k4tzm4n  Moderator
rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My Pull this week :

• Black Science #11

• C.O.W.L. #7

• Rasputin #3

• They're Not Like Us #1

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Science

Batman Annual

Batman Eternal

Deadpool

Saga v4 tpb

mje360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How long is Xavier going to be dead I wonder, and Superior Iron Man has been something great, I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying the series.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My pull list for the week,

1. Aquaman #37

2. Batman Annual #3

3. Batman Eternal #38

4. Catwoman Annual #2

5. Deathstroke #3

6. Earth 2 Worlds End #12

7. Futures End #34

8. Grayson Annual #1

9. Green Lantern Annual #3

10. Harley Quinn #13

11. Injustice Year Three #6

12. Red Lanterns #37

13. Robin Rises Alpha #1

14. Secret Origins #8

15. Sinestro #8

16. Star Spangled War Stories Featuring G.I. Zombie #5

17. Superman #37

18. The Flash #37

19. Big Trouble in Little China #7

Darkseid_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Darkseid_Prime

I will contribute to this, LoL

@squalleon: penultimate - pe·nul·ti·matepəˈnəltəmət/adjective

1. last but one in a series of things; second to the last."the penultimate chapter of the book"
    synonyms:next-to-last, second-to-last, second-last"the penultimate movie on my top-ten list is an animated feature"
Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My only essential for the week is New Avengers. I have really been enjoying the Time Runs Out story line. Also picking up a few other books but not important enough to try to get to before Christmas.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Low on cash at the moment, so I guess it's just Supes and Deathstroke for me this week.

Avatar image for completely_subjective_guy
Completely_Subjective_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Bucky put Fury back in the infirmary? Also am I the only one who doesn't like the new Deathstroke series? It's just... Eh. But that's just my opinion.

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wow, no love for the conclusion to Green Lantern Godhead event.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Aquaman #37

• Deathstroke #3
  • Flash #37
  • Superman #37
  • Superman/Wonder Woman #14
  • Cyclops #8
  • All-New X-Men Annual #1
  • All-New X-Factor #18
  • Captain America And The Mighty Avengers #3
  • Hawkeye Vs Deadpool #3
  • Magneto #13
  • Secret Avengers #11
  • She-Hulk #11
  • Uncanny X-Men #29
  • Unity #13
vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Deathstoke, superman, aquaman, green lantern annual, robin rises, futures end.

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man's series is beautiful

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Batman Annual #3

Black Science #11

Daredevil #11

Gotham by Midnight #2

Maybe I treat myself to Rasputin #2 and #3 for Xmas and my birthday.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#21  Edited By fables87

Sad that She-Hulk is ending. Reminds me of indie stuff. Rasputin looks cool too.

LordDarkFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Gone this week, can't pick anything up. So if I haven't been responding to anyone, it's because I can send only one message a day. In other words, please don't reply to this I want as few messages as possible so I don't miss anyone when I come back.

P.S. Deathstroke is still a dumb series (no offense to Tony Daniel), and JLD needs more respect.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fastestmanalive

Not a bad week for me.

Superman #37

Deathstroke #3

Superman/Wonder Woman #14

Grayson Annual #1(Maybe)

Aquaman looks good as well.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Oh wow that Superman cover is so good.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By 2cool4fun

Holly s*** that Superman cover looks so badass :O

mjbiebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might be an incredibly stupid question, but is there a Charles Xavier in the Ultimate Universe, I have never read any of the Ultimate series? I ask this because I was wondering if that is how they will bring him back through the Secret War event.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Where's the COWL love?

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My girl, Shulkie, god, that woman, I love her.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mak13131313: Wow. Too rich for my blood. I will have to stick to DC cheapoes.

substance104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very! VERY! Hyped for Robin Rises! Cannot wait

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can totally call Iron Man a villain. I mean he's just got the whole of San Fran addicted to a Legal High and is now charging them for it.

Agreed. He's more than a villain, he's:

Loading Video...

On another note, good thing I've got my DnA GOTG & Nova books, not a lot for me this week. Though Gotham by Midnight does look interesting...loves me some Spectre, might have to check it out.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• All New X-Men Annual #2
  • Avengers & X-Men: Axis #9
  • Batman Annual #3
  • Earth 2: World's End #12
  • Justice League Dark #37
  • Robin Rises: Alpha #1
  • Uncanny X-Men #29
Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke #3 seems like the only comic I'll be getting at the moment due to me not being caught up with the other ones yet.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senglord: Yeah, my wallet isn't going to be happy!

Slonewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Slonewolf
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws Annual #2
  • Robin Rises: Alpha
  • Batman Eternal #38
  • Earth 2 World's End #12
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman/Wonder Woman #14

Superman #37

Grayson annual #1

Uncanny X-Men #29

Batman annual #3

I'm debating whether or not to pick up the All new x-men annual. I didn't know it was a two-parter so when I got the end of the first half in the uncanny x-men annual I was pissed off. Now I have to decide whether to continue the story or deny Marvel's money grubbing tactics.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

• Gotham by Midnight #2 already. Sweet!
  • Colder: Bad Seed #3
  • Mind MGMT
  • The Massive
  • They're Not Like Us #1 ... sounds like I should check it out, too! :)

Plus further catching up on Harbinger... finally!

HydeParkSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got a busy week.....

Batman Annual 3

Batman Eternal 38

Deathstroke 3

Gotham By Midnight 2

Flash 37

Grayson Annual 1

Harley Quinn 13

Robin Rises: Alpha

COWL 7

Deadpool 39

Hawkeye v Deadpool 3

Secret Avengers 11

Shewee...Merry Christmas to me.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaspercole:

Wow, no love for the conclusion to Green Lantern Godhead event.

Any word on a TPB of the Godhead Saga?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just TMNT/Ghostbusters this week. And since I dropped X-O Manowar, it will be the last new issue I'll be buying this year.

Wurzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Wurzel

@mak13131313:

And still you have a Marvel's character as avatar :)

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman #37

Superman #37

Superman/ Wonder Woman #14

Magneto #13

Garbage Pail Kids #1

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a lot here for me, I don't like marvel anymore.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#48 TDK_1997  Online

Mine are:
Batman Eternal #38
New 52 Futures End #34
Robin Rises Alpha #1
New Avengers #28