• 75 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (44235 posts) - - Show Bio

For quite a few people out there, Mondays are a bit of a downer. However, here on our corner of the internet, it's a day worth celebrating because it can only mean one thing: preparing for glorious new comics! Every week, we here at Comic Vine will gaze upon the mighty list of new releases and we'll each pick the ones that we're really, really, reaaaaaally excited to check out.

As always, there's more than a handful of promising titles coming out, so once you're done seeing what we've selected, be sure to chime in with your own list of "essential comics."

*Due to technical difficulties, many of the previews are in reverse order.

Tony 'G-Man' Guerrero's picks

DAMIAN: SON OF BATMAN #1

How long has it been since we last saw Damian? As annoying as he was when he first debuted, the little guy soon grew on us. For a ten-year-old, he was shaping up to be the best Robin. Despite his stubbornness, he was evolving as time went on.

We've seen the alternate future where he took on the mantle of the Bat. We've seen small bits on what happened in between Batman's passing and Damian taking over. With this series, we're going to get some major Damian action.

This may be a "future that may never be" but you never know when it comes to comics. Having Andy Kubert, Damian's co-creator, involved will definitely make this an interesting read.

Damian may be gone but he will not be forgotten!

SANDMAN OVERTURE #1

Sandman. Is. Back.

I remember when I first heard about this. It's almost a surreal feeling knowing we'll get a new Neil Gaiman SANDMAN story. Aside from the obvious fact that it is more SANDMAN, what blows me away is the fact that this is going way back and touching upon the very first scene in SANDMAN #1. How the heck did Morpheus get captured? Some fans might want to see a story going forward but the idea of going back and clarifying what happened before the series started is all I need to know in order to be on the edge of my seat until I get the comic in my hands.

Twenty-five years we've waited to find out.

Of course there's also the fact that J.H. Williams III is doing the interiors (with a cover by him and Dave McKean).

Excuse me while I get a napkin to take care of this drooling that has just started...

NIGHTWING ANNUAL #1

Why haven't we had a NIGHTWING annual before now?

Taking place after NIGHTWING #24, we get to see the next stage in Dick Grayson's life (right before things get…crazy in FOREVER EVIL #1).

Dick and Barbara have always had a deep past but with the New 52, it's been a little unclear what the full extent of that past consists of. This is a way for us to catch up on these two after their current story lines, both of which have been turning points of sorts. What this means for these two remains to be seen. If we get the chance to see more on their past, I won't be complaining. This also will be one of the few remaining moments to read a NIGHTWING story before whatever comes after FOREVER EVIL.

Head to CBR for more preview pages.

Honorable Mentions: SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #20, GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL #2, TRIAL OF THE PUNISHER #2

Mat 'Inferiorego' Elfring's picks

SAGA #15

It's a no brainer. SAGA is hands-down one of the most intriguing and well crafted series on the market. Putting this on the essentials list is like telling you that cars get you somewhere faster than walking. It's a series that keeps getting better and better. It's constantly a fantastic read and constantly on the Top of the Pile list. The solicit for this issue is insanely weak, but if you've been reading, then you know Prince Robot IV is hot on the trail of our protagonists. Is this the issue where he catches up with them at Dr Heist's house? Maybe? Could it be? How's it all going to go down? If you've never read this series, pick up the first couple of trades. You won't be disappointed.

ULTIMATE COMICS X-MEN #33

Since issue #14 of ULTIMATE COMICS X-MEN, the mutants have been waged in an all out war with the world around them. First, it was against the separatists in America. Next, it was against the American government. Now, it's the final battle against Jean Grey and Tian. Kitty Pryde has really stepped up as a great leader, even though technically she's no longer the leader of Utopia. This issue marks the final battle between her and Jean Grey. This won't be a lead up to CATACLYSM, but it will be the conclusion to one epic story that's been building for a year and a half. Writer Brian Wood has done absolute wonders with this series since taking over at issue 13. He's made this into one of Marvel's best (and most under-rated) series. Pick up the older issues and make sure to buy this issue on Wednesday!

CATACLYSM #0.1

Since San Diego Comic Con, lots of fans of the Ultimate Universe, including myself, have been pretty worried about what's going to happen with the Ultimate Universe. At the same time, since Age of Ultron and Galactus' entrance into the Ultimate Universe, those same Ultimate Universe fans, again, including myself, have been super excited for CATACLYSM. Now, this isn't the actual first issue to this event. It will most likely be the bridge between the main book and HUNGER, which just finished up. I've been pretty excited about the creative team on this book as well. Josh Fialkov did a great job on THE ULTIMATES and had a very entertaining mini-series with HUNGER. Artist Mico Suayan did some stellar work a few years back on the end run of MOON KNIGHT. If you've ever enjoyed the Ultimate Universe, you're going to want to pick this issue up!

Gregg 'k4tz' Katzman's picks

TMNT VILLAIN MICROSERIES #7 BEBOP & ROCKSTEADY

After so many teases, THE DUMB YET LOVABLE DUO IS FINALLY HERE! Now that the iconic characters are charging front and center in this reboot, this Micro-Series is going to tell us everything we'd want to know about them.

Before introducing the two to the madness that is 'City Fall,' Karai will utilize them for a "field test." Said field test is going to be full of crazy action and hilarity, that's for sure. There's been a long wait for these characters to appear in the stellar new series and thankfully for us, this issue looks like it was totally worth it and then some. ROCK AND ROLL!

Check out our exclusive preview for this issue!

SCARLET SPIDER #23

Can you hear that? No? Listen closely. Depending on where you are on the globe, it's possible you'll be able to hear me cheering like a fool for this upcoming issue. Kaine takes on Kraven the Hunter in a kill or be killed battle in the zoo. My favorite hero in the Spider family and my favorite Spider-Man villain in a brawl which is sure to be full of win? Yeah, I'm still cheering like a total goof over this one.

Not only am I thrilled for the upcoming battle, but I'm also anxious to see what'll happen with Kaine's supporting cast. I love them all, but let's be honest, the potential is high that someone could meet their end in this one. And if Kraven does indeed fall, what does that mean for his daughter, Ana? GIVE ME THIS ISSUE NOW!

TMNT #27

ANOTHER new IDW TMNT issue? Hit me with a nunchuck because I must be dreaming. 'City Fall' has been nothing short of spectacular and now, the penultimate issue is upon us. How will everything develop as Shredder continues to wage war against other criminal organizations and what will happen now that Hun has taken control of the Purple Dragons? Will we see Donatello be awesome with his gravity gauntlet? How will Old Hob aid the Turtles now that he owes them? That's barely scratching the surface of all the questions I have about this one and I'm sure it'll hit us with plenty of stuff we weren't even expecting, too. Plus, more of Mateus Santolouco is always a good thing.

'City Fall' has without question been my must read event of 2013 and you simply can't miss it if you even remotely like the heroes in a half shell.

We have an exclusive preview for this issue!

Honorable Mention: KICK-ASS 3 #4

Jen 'MissJ' Aprahamian's picks

THE FOX #1

I like pulp hero revivals. I like the Golden Age. I like Mark Waid. I'm going to go ahead and suspect that I'm also going to like THE FOX #1. Promising to place an ordinary fellow in some highly extraordinary situations (with proportionate reactions), THE FOX takes a streamlined, simple look at the un-superpowered superhero. It's a modern reimagining of a classic, but Dean Haspiel (who also plotted the book) isn't shorting us on clean, retro, noir styling. Sleek design overlaid with Waid dialogue makes this one an essential.

ADVENTURE TIME SPOOKTACULAR 2013

It's Halloween week. I would be entirely remiss to exclude a Halloween special in my essentials, especially when it's one as charming and fun as only the ADVENTURE TIME gang can bring. Finn, Jake, Bubblegum, and the rest will star in spooky stories courtesy of Jen Bennett, Bryce Carlson, Ming Doyle, Jones Wiedle, Jay Hosler, Kevin Church, Frazer Irving, and Jen Vaughn, who will hopefully add a few more all-reader-friendly "oooooooo"s to Ooo!

Visit Comics Alliance for a look at the final preview page.

Honorable Mention: UNCANNY X-FORCE #13

Corey 'Undeadpool' Schroeder's picks

INFINITY #5

Marvel's cosmic event continues under Jonathan Hickman's control and after not only the events of last issue, but the Avengers and New Avengers developments, I'm positively salivating for the next one. Jerome Opena returning on art is another reason to be hyped for this issue, I can't imagine what he'll move onto after this, but I imagine it'll be great. We're coming into the home stretch and endings are where a lot of superhero events fall apart, so we'll see if Hickman and crew can break from tradition, particularly with the Avengers finally returning to Earth to see what's become of it in the wake of Thanos' invasion.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #8

FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA ON ART!!! Ahem...after last issue's startling revelations about Angela as well as Peter Quill, the stage is set not only for some amazing, Bendis-penned, cosmic action but some intriguing espionage as well. The Guardians have always been a catch-as-catch-can team, which is what makes them so fascinating for cosmic stories, they're not the typical mega-powers of galactic events. Francesco Francavilla will jump on artistic duties and I am excited to see how that turns out. I think I've done a good job keeping that fact low-key...

DEADPOOL KILLS DEADPOOL #4

It seems like a mega-eternity since the penultimate issue came out, and I couldn't be more thrilled to see how this all ties up and ends. From 616-Deadpool actually being involved, to recent storylines of his being front-and-center, Dennis Hopeless' bizarre what-if has truly come into its own as part of the greater Marvel U. Salva Espin's art has been a perfect match, kinetic, gory and absurd at all the right times, so there's no reason to believe this'll be anything but the ultimate Deadpool throwdown we've been anticipating since issue 1.

Follow us on Twitter: Tony, Mat, Gregg, Jen, Corey.

Staff
#1 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing Annual 1

Smallville Special 3

Kick-Ass 3 issue 4

And

Batman/Superman 4 (forgot to pick up a while back.)

#2 Posted by Wilbertus (330 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, this week brings:

Damian: Son of Batman

Nightwing Annual

Aquaman Annual

Forever Evil: A.R.G.U.S.

#3 Posted by Xwraith (18296 posts) - - Show Bio

Double shot of TMNT.

#4 Posted by Dabee (2393 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait to see what happens with Prince Robot IV... hopefully the showdown happens this issue...

#5 Posted by monsterduc (86 posts) - - Show Bio

Saga #15

Guardians of the Galaxy #8

Punisher Trial of Punisher #2

Superior Spider-Man #20

X-Men Battle of Atom #2

I would have Sandman Overture on this list, but I'm grabbing the Special Edition that comes out next month :)

#6 Posted by Jake Fury (18669 posts) - - Show Bio

That Saga cover may be the best one so far. Marko & Alana are awesome.

#7 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America: Living Legend #2

Green Lantern Annual #2 (Lights Out conclusion)

#8 Posted by batmannflash (6222 posts) - - Show Bio

Infinity

Damian

Scarlet Spider

#9 Edited by Bloxxeh (191 posts) - - Show Bio

DKD FOR SURE! FYEAH

#10 Posted by timelord (715 posts) - - Show Bio

DC Comics

• Action Comics Annual #2 I am interested in this due to want to the fact I want to see what happens to Kara and Superboy.
  • Forever Evil A.R.G.U.S. #1 Both Rouges Rebellion and Arkham War have been really good so why not.
  • Green Lantern Annual #2 I am surprised this is not on any of your lists. The wrap up for Lights Out the pre views look dam good so I can not wait.
  • Nightwing Annual #1 This looks like it will be a good jumping on point for Nightwing which I have not been reading. I have been reading Batgirl though and A team up between those two sounds awesome.

Marvel Comics

• Avengers #22 I will end up dropping this book after Infinity not really felling the new characters and the roster is just to dam large.
  • Infinity #5 I am glad all the Marvel events are warping up my wallet can't take much more :)
  • Superior Spider-Man #20 It looks like Peter is coming back soon so I am glad for that. I will be sad to see Doc Ock go.
  • X-Men Battle Of The Atom The final part of Battle of the Atom this event lost steam half way through then picked it up again I hope it finishes well.
#11 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

Captain America: Living Legend #2

Green Lantern Annual #2 (Lights Out conclusion)

Definitely getting that as well, just read the first issue today, got it in the mail!

#12 Edited by Hancock89 (94 posts) - - Show Bio

This seems like a great week overall, can't wait to get my hands on these:

• Sandman Overture #1
  • Saga #15
  • Infinity #5
  • Avengers #22
#13 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17567 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Aquaman Annual
  • Scarlet Spider
  • Saga
#14 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by longbowhunter (7097 posts) - - Show Bio

Really excited for Saga and Sandman Overture. Plan on grabbing the Fox and probably Adventure Time Spooktacular for my son. Couple things not mentioned here worthy of my money are Trial of the Punisher #2 and Swamp Thing annual #2.

#17 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Sandman #1 a good jumping on point?

#18 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6340 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for Nightwing Annual, Aquaman Annual, Forever Evil ARGUS, and Damian: SOB.

#19 Edited by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeboy: last week a DC essentials Sandman issue for a dollar was released, check if your comic shop has it. I think thats good enough to read The Sandman Overture which is a prequel.

TMNT

SAGA

Infinity

Avengers

Scarlet Spider

Green Lantern Annual

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED! Finally- NOT EVEN COMING OUT OMG. IM DONE.

and Superior Spider Man.

Guess I can either get sandman overture and or a trade alongside the Death of the Family acetate hardcover

#20 Posted by TheUnN4med (86 posts) - - Show Bio

SAGA 15
Witchblade 170
The Sandman Overture

Yeaaaaaaah!!

#21 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

SAGA and Infinity

#22 Posted by TheMantisShrimp (238 posts) - - Show Bio

Saga

Aquaman Annual

Superman Unchained

Jupiter's Legacy

#23 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by jstndmnd (1009 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman Annual

#25 Edited by Archfiend20xx (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my list:

Five Ghosts #6 (Image) - It feels weird typing that issue name, as this was originally supposed to be a 5-issues mini (I'll probably reuse that sentence in a couple months with Five Weapons #6, which I also look forward to). Not only that, but it has the word "five" in the title. Anyway, really glad this is continuing. This issue is standalone and I believe a new arc starts with #7.

Guardians of the Galaxy #8 (Marvel) - This series has finally started to pick up after veering away from the "Spartax/other Marvel alien races"-arc-type-few-issues at the beginning and slowing down. Hopefully we'll get some more concrete story... and Francavilla on art for this issue, which is awesome.

Super #2 (Unlikely Heroes Studios) - The first issue of this was really fun, and a huge delight for something I picked up on a whim (it didn't hurt that it was $2.99 for like 50-something pages). Apparently the book was funded via Kickstarter a little while ago. I'm guessing this book has a tiny print run, but if you're lucky or live in a good area for comic book shops, you can find it and the first issue too. Or you can buy it online. That works too.

True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys #5 (Dark Horse) - After really a slow and (somewhat) confusing start, at least for me, this book really picked up with #4 and I'm excited to see how it ends with #s 5 and 6.

Wild Blue Yonder #3 (IDW) - I don't know what happened, but this issue is like 3 months late (?). #2 came out early July or something like that. Anyway, I don't know how many people are reading this (probably no one), but I thought the first couple were brilliant, and can't wait to finally continue.

X-Men Battle of the Atom #2 (Marvel) - Sure, it's had its ups and downs, but I've really enjoyed this event as a whole. At least way more than I thought I would... it's been a pleasant surprise with the exception of some rough patches recently. But yeah, can't wait to see how it ends.

MAYBE:

Captain Midnight #4 (Dark Horse) - I'm an issue behind, so we'll see, but I'll probably wait on this to save money for now.

Forever Evil A.R.G.U.S. #1 (DC)... trying to stick to the main Forever Evil and stay away from the tie-in series to save money. This looks pretty decent.

Skyward #4 (Action Lab)... not the biggest fan, but for a book that I initially saw and totally glossed over, it's been pretty decent despite some cliches.

EDIT: And I'm reading Saga in trade, so no #15 for now.

#26 Posted by RaggedScarecrow (852 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers A.I. #5

Ultimate Comics X-Men #33

Uncanny X-Force #13

X-Men: Battle of the Atom #2

and maybe Forever Evil: A.R.G.U.S., I'm waiting for a preview before I decide.

#27 Posted by SwampPing (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey Corey Dennis Hopeless doesn't write Deadpool Kills..., its been Cullen Bunn from the very beginning.

But I'm just gonna get Saga and Cataclysm this week, I'll buy the the Deadpool Kills... when they go on sale

#28 Posted by HushoftheWind (996 posts) - - Show Bio

If Aracely dies in Scarlet Spider, i will unleash a devastating wrath on the COO of Marvel.

#29 Posted by nappystr8 (1108 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to pick up Sandman Overture but I think the price is a bit ridiculous. Also, I don't trust DC to keep JH Williams on the book, even for such a short limited series.

#30 Posted by derf_jenkins (402 posts) - - Show Bio

If u have not read Saga yet, get ur life figured out by Wednesday so u can get the new issue.

#31 Posted by Hanson724 (561 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlet Spider

Battle of the Atom

King Conan Hour of the Dragon

Saga

Bushido

and the Green Lantern Annual

#32 Edited by Archfiend20xx (19 posts) - - Show Bio

@thefirstlantern: Seeing as you seem to be excited, I hate to break the bad news, but Superman Unchained isn't out till next week. It has been a while now that I think on it.

#33 Edited by Wolverine08 (42386 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlet Spider, Infinity, TMNT,and Captain America: Living Legend for me!

#34 Posted by Hanson724 (561 posts) - - Show Bio

@hushofthewind: I think I accidentally flagged your comment sorry. I meant to hit reply and say I'm right with you about Aracely!

#35 Edited by KaraZorL (59 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Superman Unchained
  2. Teen Titans Annual #2
  3. Aquaman Annual
  4. Green Lantern Annual #2
#36 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8009 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm definitely picking up Damian: Son of Batman.

#37 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6917 posts) - - Show Bio

DAMN IT! Locke and Key got delayed just like always :(

#38 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian Son of Batman

Green Lantern Annual

Herobear and Kid =))))))))))))))))))))))))!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nightwing Annual

Saga

TMNT

So couple questions for whoever can answer them. First off is Justice League 24 really as good as I've been hearing? Secondly will I have to have read the original Sandman series to make sense of Sandman Overture? Yes I know what have I been doing with my life blah blah blah, I plan on picking up the two Sandman omnibuses soon so that won't be an issue for long.

#39 Posted by saoakden (1047 posts) - - Show Bio

From DC: Superman Unchained (If it comes out this week), Action Comics Annual(Looking forward to the Krypton Returns Storyline!), Green Lantern Annual, Nightwing Annual, Damian: Son of Batman, Teen Titans Annual, Smallville Special,

Maybe From DC: Forever Evil: A.R.G.U.S.

From Marvel: Superior Spider-Man, Scarlet Spider, Infinity, Avengers, X-Men: Battle of the Atom, Cataclysm: The Ultimates Last Stand, Ultimate Comics X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, Superior Spider-Man Special, Captain America: Living Legend, Punisher: Trial of the Punisher

Maybe From Marvel: Deadpool Kills Deadpool, Avengers A.I., Thor: Crown of Fools

TMNT

Marvel is going to make me go broke.

#40 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

Witchblade 170 Ron Marz is back and that,s reason enough.

#41 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

@thefirstlantern: Seeing as you seem to be excited, I hate to break the bad news, but Superman Unchained isn't out till next week. It has been a while now that I think on it.

Sad face/Angry face.

#42 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio

Really nobody reads kick-ass?

#43 Posted by CitizenJP (597 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss Damian. :/

#44 Posted by Cap10nate (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers

Infinity

Living Legend

Scarlet Spider

Maybe GOTG and Saga. I've been considering dropping both of them for a couple months.

#45 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by petermed51 (25 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Superman Unchained
  • Sandman Overture
  • Green Lantern Annual
  • Superior Spider-Man
#47 Edited by zodac (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandman

Saga

Both Ultimates

Both TMNT

Kick-Ass

Good week

#48 Posted by cameron83 (7344 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider Man

Infinity (automatic)

Damian

Scarlet Spider

#49 Edited by Whounner1 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

my buddy's ex-wife makes $63 an hour on the laptop. She has been out of a job for six months but last month her check was $15863 just working on the laptop for a few hours. this contact form....www.Rush64.com

#50 Posted by Cap10nate (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

@thefirstlantern: meh. I have never been that infatuated with it. It is an interesting story and I like the art but it just doesn't do it for me.