• 58 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

A whole bunch of brand new comic books are going on sale this Wednesday and there's bound to be something for everyone. From gritty street level stories to cosmic craziness, there's plenty of variety. In fact, there's so many being released that it may be a little difficult to decide how to distribute your budget. Well, there's no need to worry because the Comic Vine staff has your back! We've reviewed the latest list of new releases and each of us will tell you what we're excited to read and why. Once you're all set seeing what we recommend, go ahead and post your own list of essential comics below. You just may convince someone else to check out a new comic!

Tony "G-Man" Guerrero's picks

LADY KILLER #1

No Caption Provided

LADY KILLER is a series that snuck up on me. Getting a chance to read the first issue early and talking to writer Joëlle Jones about it, I started looking forward to the New Year. We all have our favorite ongoing series but it’s extremely refreshing to be able to read a brand new comic with new characters.

Taking place in the 60s, this series looks to capture the essence of the period while also hitting you upside the head with some dark situations. Basically, the lead character is your average 60s housewife except…she’s also a trained killer for hire. Joëlle Jones’s art with Laura Allred’s colors will blow your mind.

Don’t miss out on this series, especially if you’re looking for something a little different.

DEADLY CLASS #10

No Caption Provided

DEADLY CLASS was one of my favorite new series of 2014. It’s great to start off the first week of 2015 with a new issue. Last issue we saw some of Maria’s past and Marcus is playing a dangerous game by getting involved with Saya. We’ve seen plenty of stories with a lot of teen drama but when the teens in questions all go to a school for assassins, it takes things to a completely different level.

This issue looks like it’ll show us what a ‘day off’ is like for a couple of the kids in the streets of San Francisco in the 80s. Of course if Marcus is hitting the town with Maria, what happens if she finds out about him and Saya? There’s a good chance we’ll see plenty of action and violence as the world these characters live in never lets up. Rick Remender and Wesley Craig always have something cooking in this book.

BUCKY BARNES: THE WINTER SOLDIER #3

No Caption Provided

When Bucky Barnes was given a new role in the Marvel Universe after the events of ORIGINAL SIN, I was really skeptical. Being an “intergalactic protector” isn’t the direction I wanted to see for the character. The thing is, Ales Kot is really making me come around to the idea.

We’ve seen some really crazy things so far in just the first two issues courtesy of Kot and Marco Rudy. It’s one of those, you-never-know-what-to-expect situations. Having Daisy Johnson in the book is an added bonus. A big added bonus. Last issue we had a little time travel involved (and Loki). Now it looks like there’s more time travel (Bucky from the future?) and a space queen? There really is no telling what is going to happen. That’s what makes this so fun and exciting.

ANGELA: ASGARD'S ASSASSIN #2

No Caption Provided

Angela was an interesting character when first introduced. It seemed like we never really got to know her. From what I recall, she only really cared about one thing, hunting and killing Spawns. Having the character arrive in the Marvel Universe was a curious decision. The more I see her these days, the more I become intrigued with her character.

In the first issue, Kieron Gillen and Marguerite Bennett started showing us a little more of Angela and what she’s about. With a big confrontation and cliffhanger, there’s no way we could miss this issue. The combined art of Phil Jimenez and Stephanie Hans in the different scenes was pretty fantastic and I can’t wait to see how it continues in this issue.

DETECTIVE COMICS #38

No Caption Provided

Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato are back on DETECTIVE COMICS and last month we saw the first part of their Anarky arc. This version of Anarky isn’t messing around and we had a bit of a cliffhanger as well. Could we have seen the last of Batman and Harvey Bullock? Of course not. That being said, we can’t wait to see more of these two butting heads, trying to stop this new menace that has hit Gotham City.

Manapul and Buccellato are great storytellers, combining interesting situations with gorgeous visuals. Having them on this title makes you happy to be a Batman fan.

Visit Nerdist for one more preview page.

Honorable Mention: NAILBITER #9

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring's picks

ANT-MAN #1

No Caption Provided

While SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN is no more, and my heart is still broken, the recent preview of ANT-MAN #1 seems like a great place for fans of FOES to transition to. ANT-MAN didn't seem as comical as FOES, but it still had that great sense of humor Nick Spencer originally brought to the book with a little bit more of a serious tone, like we've seen Spencer bring to other books. Frankly, I'm an Ant-Man fan (more Eric O'Grady than anything else, but I'll take some Scott Lang as well) and I cannot wait to see what this issue has to offer. Plus, the opening features Superior Iron Man, another character I'm a huge fan of right now. This book seems like it's full of win. In addition, G-Man gave it 5 stars in an early review, so that's pretty rad as well.

GREEN LANTERN #38

No Caption Provided

Godhead was one fantastic event and one of the best cross-over stories of 2014. A lot happened in that final issue and now, Hal Jordan is off for some R&R. I'm really excited to see how all of this weighs down on Hal. With the creatures from the Source Wall back to life, mainly Relic, and knowing there's a force out there, the New Gods, who still could be friend or foe, how will Hal handle all of this? Also, Hal did just find out that Carol and Kyle are now an item, and while he seemed cool with it in the issue, how will he react to that afterwards? I can't wait to see what Robert Venditti has in store for readers this week.

Check out Robot 6 for an extra preview page.

BIRTHRIGHT #4

No Caption Provided

You'd be birthwrong for not reading this! Wait... did I just get fired? I still love what's going on in BIRTHRIGHT. The family is on the run now, after a little incident at the police station and we're still learning more and more about what's going on in this world and the fantasy world as well. BIRTHRIGHT has been not only a lot of fun but a brand new take on a familiar concept.

The creative team on this book is just killing it since the beginning. Joshua Williamson is pacing this book out exceptionally well, even with it being juggled between two stories/worlds. The art from Andrei Bressan and Adriano Lucas is utterly breathtaking and this is a book you should check out.

Gregg "k4tz" Katzman's picks

THE PUNISHER #14

No Caption Provided

Do you like seeing Punisher being amazingly badass? If so, you need to buy this series. Seriously, this could be your very first issue of this run and, based on the thrilling preview, the odds seem pretty good it'll win you over. I mean, just take some time to really analyze the preview and you'll see this isn't just the gazillionth scene of Frank Castle taking out goons. Yeah, the situation is something we've seen countless times before, but writer Nathan Edmondson and Mitch Gerads fill it with so much creativity. These aren't your generic panels that don't leave an impact or stick in your mind. They pull you right into the scene and make it feel amazingly cinematic. From the use of angles and perspective to the vivid colors, this is looking like it'll be one hell of a ride as Punisher takes on gangs in Los Angeles. See, that sounds so generic, but the creative team is executing it in such a refreshing way.

How can you not get pumped after they handle something as simple as Punisher exiting an elevator and taking aim in such a cool way? Really, spend some time enjoying the preview and hopefully you'll agree they're going all-out with this one. And yes, Frank decided to toss a grenade at dudes who were already destined to fall and splat against the ground. How insane yet awesome and brutal is that?

ROBOCOP #7

No Caption Provided

Speaking of insane yet awesome and brutal, the second pick is another series that focuses on a protagonist who has no problem putting a bullet in a bad guy. The classicRoboCop has returned and the franchise is in very good hands. Joshua Williamson and Carlos Magno'sBOOM! Studios' series has been one big love letter to the franchise. It picks up right after the first film and has been non-stop craziness. There's a proper villain that brings out the worst in this world, the atmosphere feels right, the supporting cast is being fleshed out, and RoboCop finally has some upgrades. Based on the preview, it's looking like an upgraded RoboCop is going to be a ridiculously fun to witness. I never thought I'd see RoboCop punt a dude's head off, but there you have it.

DEATH OF WOLVERINE HC

No Caption Provided

When a character's death is announced in advance, there tends to be an understandable amount of skepticism. How can they make a death powerful if we see it coming a mile away? Is it a blatant cash grab just because they know many people will be curious about how a popular character dies? Thankfully, Charles Soule and Steve McNiven'sDEATH OF WOLVERINE isn't just good, it's one of the more memorable stories from last year. The combination of McNiven's phenomenal artwork and Soule's understanding and appreciation of the iconic character made this a terrific albeit short journey. The ending caught, well, just about everyone off-guard, but I think it was an appropriate way to conclude Logan's journey (for now). It's one of those endings that you may not immediately like, but when you really give it a good amount of thought, you just may fall in love with it. If not, oh well. At least the rest of the story is awesome, right?

This beautiful and exciting story embraced Logan's history and, even though there's a development that I wasn't a fan of (one of Wolvie's lesser-known villains is once again dead), this is still a great read and something every Wolverine fan needs to check out.

Honorable Mention: GREEN ARROW #38 (Hal and Ollie team-up!)

Corey "Undeadpool" Schroeder's picks

WOLVERINES #1

No Caption Provided

Who knows how long Wolverine's death will last, but the fact remains that the event itself was fantastically entertaining and had some great emotional impact, even if the pacing was a bit compressed at times. Now series architect Charles Soule brings us back to the scene of the crime and, amidst the numerous follow-ups, we get our first official sequel AND we get to see Soule further delve into what seems to be fast becoming his specialty: taking B-list characters, especially villains to interesting, unexplored and perhaps even underutilized. Deathstrike, X-23 (the sole hero of the bunch), Daken and even Sabretooth all in the same book? Possibly forming some kind of team? Nick Bradshaw on the art? The book is pure potential.

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #12

No Caption Provided

Spider-Verse's core title has, perhaps by virtue of the tie-ins filling in a lot of the background story, advanced at an absolutely thrilling, almost breakneck pace but one that still leaves room for characterization and development. Apparently this issue will be a knock-down, drag-out slugfest the likes of which we have not been privy to and I can't wait to see what further stops Dan Slott will pull out. We've also got series regular artist Giuseppe Camuncoli making his return, and his visuals always have a more dark, brooding, hard-edged flair than a lot of the artists on this series, which sounds like this issue will call for.

WOLF MOON #2

No Caption Provided

It's always struck me as odd that, for how overdone vampires are in the current pop culture mindset, werewolves languish as Syfy Original or direct-to-DVD/VOD movie monsters, so when a piece of media comes along that takes a new spin on the creature, it feels like it has even more impact as it's overcoming more baggage. That is the roundabout way to say that Cullen Bunn has found a truly interesting take on the oldest of werewolf formulas where the curse of the wolf causes a full-moon transformation in a seemingly random person. It's a small change, but one that fundamentally shifts the entire focus and point of the story and that first issue proved that it's also incredibly compelling, especially with Jeremy Haun's graphic, gory visuals.

Robot 6 has an extra preview page.

Honorable Mention: SPIDER-MAN 2099 #7

Follow us on Twitter: CV, Tony, Mat, Gregg, Corey.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Like Mr. Elfring, I can't wait for Green Lantern, Ant-Man, and Death of Wolverine.

I also can't wait for issue two of Wolfmoon, if anyone here has yet to pick up the first issue I encourage you to check it out.

Lobo #4 and Injustice Volume 2 are also must buys.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Looking like a real good comics week.

Ant-Man

Punisher

Amazing Spider-Man

Batman Eternal

Fade Out

Birthright

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Blade_R

Mortal Kombat X #1 available digitally tomorrow, im too hyped for it.

mje360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Only Angela, Amazing Spider-Man, and maybe Wolverines for me.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God it's gonna be good to have Hal back on earth, even nicer to give him a little time to cool off. Vinditti's shows a lot of strength as a writer when things slow down, and judging by that preview I'm in for a very welcomed breath of fresh air from everything that's happened (not that I'm complaining, Godhead was awesome).

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

Lady Killer looks like a fun read. Deadly Classes cover creeps me out. Someone save that goat before Chester gets to it first.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Deadly Class for me

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

Oh right I forgot about that, now that I can't wait for.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I'll be picking up The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, but I'm still not sure if I'll actually like it. And I already know what I'll replace it with if I don't.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

We;re literally back in the 90s.........EVERYBODY gets a book.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: It's even better then I imagined, I've been waiting for a proper MK comic for so long (I almost shed a tear).

Avatar image for amazing_spiderman
Amazing_Spiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punisher spider verse

_Nox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Except Cassandra Cain. :(

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: It's even better then I imagined, I've been waiting for a proper MK comic for so long (I almost shed a tear).

Same here dude, hopefully plenty of people will pick it up, I want it to do well.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Would definitely buy Ant-Man if it wasn't $4.99. Will wait to get it cheaper as a trade paper back. Don't forget Avengers: No More Bullying. How could you not have the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1 on this list?

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: It's Mortal Kombat, it'll sell like hotcakes. Hopefully just like Injustice, it gets more people reading comics.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By lagozzino

Lady Killer looks really fun!

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blade_R

@blade_r: It's Mortal Kombat, it'll sell like hotcakes. Hopefully just like Injustice, it gets more people reading comics.

Lol im looking at it another way, im hoping it will get more comic readers into MK :)

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

@captainmarvel4ever said:

Lol im looking at it another way, im hoping it will get more comic readers into MK :)

The art looks perfect for the series as well. It's one of those art styles that your going to be sad to see go later :(

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@blade_r said:

The art looks perfect for the series as well. It's one of those art styles that your going to be sad to see go later :(

Agreed it looks really good to me. Idk how true it is but somebody on MKO said that one of the writer's said that this series could go on for a long time even after MKX's release, and im really hoping that happens lol

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

@micah said:

@blade_r said:

Agreed it looks really good to me. Idk how true it is but somebody on MKO said that one of the writer's said that this series could go on for a long time even after MKX's release, and im really hoping that happens lol

I wouldn't mind if it stuck around for awhile. It will be a very different book than from what DC usually puts out, and I like that.

jonnyh101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ant Man for me is already sorted pre-ordered 3 variants
Green Lantern
Detective Comics
Lady Killer maybe
Winter Soldier
Wolverines
Angela Assassin
And Amazing Spiderman

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Blade_R

@micah said:

@blade_r said:

@micah said:

@blade_r said:

I wouldn't mind if it stuck around for awhile. It will be a very different book than from what DC usually puts out, and I like that.

Same here, hopefully these guys do it justice, and from what I have seen and read, its sounds like they will do a really good job :)

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Birthright #4

Deadly Class #10

Fade Out #4

Nailbiter #9

Swamp Thing #38

Despite loving Scott in FF and Spencer on Superior Foes, I'm not keen on the $5 price tag. Gonna have to sit Ant-Man out.

GhostPirateX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GhostPirateX

HAWKEYE VS DEADPOOL #4

HULK #10

LEGENDARY STAR LORD #7

UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #1

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, nothing here seems worth buying tbh.

I'mma just catch up on some comics via viewcomic

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really have high hopes for Ant-man.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CitizenJP

Deadly Class is pretty much the jams!

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By johnny_blaze

Ant-Man #1

Punisher #14

Lady Killer #1

Green Arrow #38

Amazing Spider-Man #12

Happy reading folks!

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadly Class! YESSSSSSSS

GokaiFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, last 2 weeks have been pretty slow for me. Probably just picking up ASM and Batman Eternal this week.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_nox_: She will get one wheen Convergence happens. So don't worry.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By mak13131313

My pull list for the week,

1. Aquaman and The Others #9

2. Batman Eternal #40

3. Detective Comics #38

4. Earth 2 #30

5. Earth 2 Worlds End #14

6. Futures End #36

7. Green Arrow #38

8. Green Lantern #38

9. Birthright #4

10. Nailbiter #9

rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rac_shade

My Pull this week :

• Birthright #4

• Deadly Class #10

• God Hates Astronauts #5

• Hellboy And The B.P.R.D. 1952 #2

• Lady Killer #1

• Men Of Wrath #4

• Nailbiter #9

• ODY-C #2

• The Fade Out #4

• Trees #8

• Casanova v2 : Gula The Complete Edition HC

SoftMachineOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for Green Lantern!

TheIndecider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheIndecider
  • Batman Eternal #40
  • Amazing Spider-Man #12 - I think I'm going to drop Amazing after Spider-verse is over, I'm starting to get sick of Slott's writing
  • Ant-Man #1 - It's not Superior Foes, but it still a damn good replacement for it on my pull list
  • Miracleman #14 - Only one more issue until... well, you know
  • Spider-Man 2099 #7
  • The Fade Out #4
Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

ooh, angela, wolverines aka mystique, and antman all come out this week

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

ROBO COP!!!!

Then amazing spider-man and detective comics

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that art on Detective Comics is phenomenal.

For me this week...

Batman Eternal #40

Detective Comics #38

Flash Season Zero #4

John Carter #3

Ant-Man #1

Iron Fist #8

Hulk #10

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Essential for me: Legendary Star-Lord & Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier. Thinking about checking Ant-Man out though.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

lady killer reminds me of that upcoming Katie holmes film

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sealife
DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By DonFelipe

That's going to be a wonderful week/end: Angela AA, Army of Darkness, Hinterkind, Lady Killer, Nailbiter, Operation SIN, Wolf Moon, and Tom Sutton's Creepy Things Chilling Archives of Horrors hardcover - I love those remastered and recolored collections of old horror classics!

Hey TED!
Hey TED!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

@_nox_ said:

@punyparker said:

Except Cassandra Cain. :(

I know,what the f8ck?!

Angel,Silk,a bunch of minor characters from SPider-Verse,and Cassandra doesn't?!.....