• 66 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (36433 posts) - - Show Bio

Another Wednesday, another mountain of new comics to read. Most of us out there don't have access to Bruce Wayne's bank account, so deciding how to make use of a limited budget is no easy task. So, we here at Comic Vine want to help you out. We all have completely different taste, so hopefully a few of these recommendations will tickle your fancy. Don't forget to sound off with your own "essential comics" in the comments section below.

Gregg Katzman's picks

THE LEGEND OF LUTHER STRODE #5

If you have a craving for an over the top book, look no further than Justin Jordan's comic over at Image. If you ever wondered what would happen if The Raid: Redemption and Kick-Ass ever had a baby, this would pretty much be it. Jordan's insane action sequences are perfectly complimented by Tradd Moore's ridiculously unique and animated art. A must read for action fans.

Visit CBR for the final preview pages. And yes, there's graphic language.

BLOODSHOT #11

Harbinger Wars is off to a terrific start and -- while BLOODSHOT's technically behind on the timeline -- it gives us the opportunity to see the most spectacular events unfold from a whole new perspective. The fight between Toyo and Bloodshot was amazing and #11 let's us witness it from an all-new angle: Bloodshot's head.

Tony 'G-Man' Guerrero's picks

FF #7

This comic is a great example of how fun reading them can be. Matt Fraction manages to squeeze in humor, action, suspense and tragedy all in one series. We also have the return of Mike Allred on art. With this eclectic group of characters brought together to fill in for the Fantastic Four while they're away on an adventure, Fraction's been slowly building up the mysteries. With the possibility of more loss and betrayal, there's no telling what might happen next. Whenever FF comes out, it soars to the top of my read list.

NOVA #4

NOVA is another series proving to be a fun read each issue. Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness have taken a character I wasn't too crazy about (based on the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series) and turned him into one you really care about. There's is a sense of innocence in charm when a young character has great powers bestowed upon them. We've been seeing a great learning curve when it comes to Sam Alexander trying to figure out how to use his new powers and the new role thrusted upon him. Ed McGuinness' art and Marte Gracia's colors make the overall experience that much more enjoyable.

Sam is about to find out if he has what it takes possess the power of Nova when he finds himself up against the Chitauri.

Mat 'Inferiorego' Elfring's picks

NIGHTWING #20

Nightwing has entered a brave new world where the local police don't take kindly to his folk (masked vigilantes): Chicago. The last issue was amazing as Dick settles down in the Windy City. We got to see the revamp of the Superman villain The Prankster, and the design was pretty awesome.

Writer Kyle Higgins is killing it on this book, and I'm anxious to see this all come together in the next issue, especially with Brett Booth doing some amazing things in the art department.

Go to UPROXX for the rest of the preview.

X-O MANOWAR #13

I will continue telling you how great this book is until it is on your pull list. I will come to your house and take you out to tea if it will persuade you. The Planet Death story arc has been a blast (PAFF PAFF).

With the conclusion of issue #12, we saw that destroying the Vine on Loam won't be as easy as Aric originally thought it would. It looks like his mission of death and destruction may have also turned into a rescue mission. This is brutality and brilliant storytelling at its best.

Sara 'Babs' Lima's picks

WONDER WOMAN #20

The last two story arcs have dealt with the concept of trust and who in Diana's inner circle can actually be trusted. That trust will once more be testing in WONDER WOMAN #20 and it is one issue I am definitely looking forward to reading. This series has continued to be one of my absolute favorites, and I think issue #20 holds a whole lot of promise. If I had to guess I think we will soon be seeing a confrontation between Diana and the God of War, but I guess we will have to wait and see!

Check out Nerdist for the rest of the preview.

B.P.R.D.: HELL ON EARTH: WASTELAND #1

What sounds like a good recipe for solid B.P.R.D. issue? A mysterious mission to find and rescue missing B.P.R.D. agents in Chicago, Ogdru Hem and humans that have been transformed into monsters -- yup. These are only some of the things promised to us in the upcoming issue of B.P.R.D.: HELL ON EARTH: WASTELAND #1. Johann leads the team in what will likely be a rather interesting B.P.R.D. story, and I for one am really looking forward to it. Issue #1 means it is the first issue in the short series, but also a continuation of the previous story. Chances are the issue will be a good jumping on point for new readers, and that's promising.

Jen 'MissJ' Aprahamian's picks

FATALE #14

Brubaker & Phillips have been consistently amazing me with the dark, beautiful tale they've been spinning in FATALE. I credit this book with my newfound interest in gritty noir stories, and this one just keeps getting better.

I'm especially a fan of the recent done-in-one flashback issues. #14 is the last of these historical standalone issues, and I'm certain that it will be as captivating and tragic as the ones before. This time, Jo's up against Nazi cultists; I'm expecting something a little bit like Indiana Jones, if Indy were the star of a horror series.

CBR has the rest of the preview.

MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC #7

My pull list is about 80% superheroes, and 19% weird, dark Image books. But that last little slice? PONIES. This series is as smart as it is cute, and the storytelling is true to the animated series without recycling plots.Issue #7 brings us a big reveal with the new Nightmare Moon, and our pony pals are in a precarious situation. I love big villain stories, and Nightmare is THE pony villain.

This issue also features gorgeous variant covers, including some beautiful watercolor work by Agnes Garbowska (I suddenly feel compelled to become a collector!).

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ and Twitter page in hopes of getting a new follower or two.

Staff
#1 Posted by The Stegman (23135 posts) - - Show Bio

This week is kinda ''meh'' for me, though Supergirl looks like fun.

#2 Posted by ccraft (5065 posts) - - Show Bio

X-O Manowar seems like a cool title.

#3 Edited by Mandrewgora (294 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah FF!

#4 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing and Wonderwoman

#5 Posted by longbowhunter (6784 posts) - - Show Bio

Light week for me. FF and Fatale, oh and Regular Show #1 if its not delayed again.

#6 Posted by Doctor_Whovian (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to Injustice #18. Then again, I look forward to every issue.

#7 Posted by GothamRed (2562 posts) - - Show Bio

Did they give Nightwing Prankster to be like his Joker?

#8 Edited by cc1738 (358 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm only getting Nightwing.

#9 Edited by darkwingdan (186 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing, Wonder Woman, and FF for me!

Maybe X-O Manowar if I decide to take advantage of the comixology sale...

#10 Posted by kriminal (642 posts) - - Show Bio

i gotta get the 3rd printings of injustice 1 and 2 also getting:

supergirl 20

wonder woman 20

age of ultron 8

iron man 10

regular show 1

#11 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing and Red Hood for me this week.

#12 Posted by Dman1366 (547 posts) - - Show Bio

So stoked. WatX, X-O, and Bloodshot

#13 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

XO and Bloodshot:)

#14 Posted by Archfiend20xx (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice week, nice week :)

Age of Ultron #8

Batwoman #20

Cable and X-Force #8

Helheim #3

JLA Vibe #4

Mark Waid's Green Hornet #2

Nova #4

and maybe Dream Thief #1 from Dark Horse.

#15 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20149 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing #20 and Kick-Ass 3 #1

#16 Edited by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

Did they give Nightwing Prankster to be like his Joker?

That's what I'm thinking. Prankster seems to be more sane and intelligent though.

#17 Posted by bladewolf (614 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm only really excited (and sad) for one comic this week: Sword of Sorcery 8, the end of the series.

#18 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

Bloodshot and Fatale.

#19 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (881 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers: Enemy Within, maybe Green Hornet, maybe It Girl. Depends on how many Captain Marvel books my LCS has

#20 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahahaha. Aw man, completely not ironically at all, not sarcastic at all, I kind of love that Jen has My little Ponies on her essential list.

Adventure Time Playing Fire VOl 1

Avengers Enemy Within

FF

Nova

Regular Show

@kriminal: You know who else is getting Regular Show #1? MY MOM! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!

#21 Edited by RedX9 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman and Ultimate comics Spider-man for me

#22 Posted by jwalser3 (4796 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a very 90s gun BloodShot is holding....Lol.

#23 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (5931 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League, Redhood, and Nightwing and is JLA coming out this week even though it came out last week.

#24 Posted by CitizenJP (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Nova and Nightwing for me!

#25 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

Uktimate Cokics Spider-man

#26 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Comics Spider-man

#27 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit!!! I am loving the new series of Gambit thus far. Remy definitely needs some love from fans! :-)

#28 Edited by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

The essential list is pretty good besides FF and My Little Pony (really?) and show's what I'm looking for, too. Both Valiant titles have made the list - impressive!

I will also try the Dream Merchant (Image Comics) and Doomsday.1 (IDW).

#29 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6103 posts) - - Show Bio

These last two weeks have been really slow and light. Anyway I'm getting

BATWOMAN

BATGIRL

WOLVERINE AND THE XMEN

DOOMSDAy #1 (GO CHECK THIS OUT FROM IDW!)

#30 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6103 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League, Redhood, and Nightwing and is JLA coming out this week even though it came out last week.

Justice Leage doesnt come out this week and JLA # will be out 29th

#31 Posted by fables87 (945 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the FF artwork! OMG Poseidon looks more human then fish! FATALE!

#32 Edited by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

Supergirl because it is a new writer start from godwin he the guy that wrote 28days .

#33 Posted by Fenderxx (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Nova and wonder woman. ..... And for some reason iron man keeps tricking me into buying it.

#34 Edited by GothamRed (2562 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson: More sane, but Joker is pretty smart

#35 Edited by dreamfall31 (526 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman, Batwoman, FF and maybe Iron Man now the Greg Land is gone for good!

#36 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5931 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller said:

Justice Leage doesnt come out this week and JLA # will be out 29th

So is it next week cause I really want to see Despero?

#37 Posted by mattwing87 (426 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that the Chitauri on Nova #4? :P

#38 Posted by ThorBoy (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Age of ultron

Nova

Iron man

Easy on the wallet this week *phew*

#39 Posted by Cap10nate (2160 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing, Wonder Woman, and FF for me!

Maybe X-O Manowar if I decide to take advantage of the comixology sale...

I purchased the X-O books from comixology today because I wanted to read this title after all the good things I heard, and they are as advertised. The story and art are both fantastic. It is well worth the buck a piece for the 11 books.

#40 Edited by haydenclaireheroes (8895 posts) - - Show Bio

From the list I am getting:

FF

Nova

Nightwing

#42 Posted by manwithoutshame (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Conan The Barbarian and Fatale

#43 Posted by bob808 (6756 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing

Batgirl

Red Hood and the Outlaws

Justice League of America's Vibe

Green Hornet

Dream Thief

#44 Posted by G-Man (30652 posts) - - Show Bio

@mattwing87: Guess you didn't read what I wrote about NOVA :(

Staff
#45 Edited by kilomac29 (322 posts) - - Show Bio

The only things for me thing week are Red Hood, and also Wonder Woman. I just started Wonder Woman with issue #19, so I have no idea what is going on, but it hooked me when she kicked the crap out of Orion.

#46 Posted by bsavelli (57 posts) - - Show Bio

I KNEW IT GREGG IS A BRONIE

#47 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20149 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man:

No one is excited for Kick-Ass 3?

#48 Posted by chalkshark (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. I don't read any of those books.

#49 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome picks! Don't believe I actually get any of 'em but they look great nevertheless!

#50 Posted by Mucklefluga (2522 posts) - - Show Bio

REGULAR SHOW 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!