• 89 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (36123 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to the latest Essential Comics. This is where we take a look at this week's list of new releases and narrow it down to the ones we're incredibly excited for. Sure, there's titles like ANIMAL MAN and AQUAMAN which are steadily awesome and a new chapter of Marvel's AGE OF ULTRON, yet we can't help but be overly stoked for the following five. Don't forget to post your own essential comics in the comments below!

In an effort to give you all more variety in our recommendations, next week you'll see a brand new take on the feature. Usually it's just me and Tony making the selections, but starting next week, each writer (if they have time, of course) will provide their own top 3 suggestions! In the meantime, here's some very promising comics coming out this Wednesday.

GREEN ARROW #20

The brilliantly engrossing new take on the character continues and once again dives deeper into Ollie's history. Written by Jeff Lemire and illustrated by Andrea Sorrentino, the creative team has massively redeemed the Emerald Archer in The New 52, providing a title Arrow fans can be proud of. This issue will yet again reveal how Komodo is destroying the hero's life and what secrets the island holds (only makes sense to lure in the TV crowd too, right?).

Visit MTV Geek for a preview.

HARBINGER WARS #2

Having already read this issue (I was lucky enough to check it out when I visited their office for an interview), I can say with full confidence that it's epic. Last issue laid the groundwork and now we're treated to something quite awesome: Toyo Harada versus Bloodshot. It seems like a totally one-sided fight, yes? Trust me, it's not and you're probably going to love seeing why.

Feast your eyes on an extensive preview below.

HAWKEYE #10

And the award for the most obvious essential comic this week goes to...

Matt Fraction has struck gold with HAWKEYE, crafting a story that consistently generates ginormous laughs and a fresh and welcoming approach to the Avenger's life. There's been plenty of chaos along the way, but despite that, this book has mostly been an uplifting experience. Based on last issue's shocking cliffhanger and below's preview, it's clear that's all about to change.

Check out CBR for the final preview page.

IRON MAN #9

This is a book that has definitely been all over the place. The last story showed promise, but then suffered a lackluster conclusion (at least IMHO). Issue #9, however, is claiming to be a must read issue for "the biggest Tony Stark story of the year." Pretty bold statement, but seeing as it claims to dive into his origin and includes a team-up with Death's Head (so, I guess he didn't die in the explosion?), this issue definitely has our interest piqued.

Now, I know quite a few of you avoid this book because of Greg Land, so you'll be happy to know he's not on art duties with this one. Instead, Dale Eaglesham illustrates this one and Guru-eFX is still on colors. Get a look at the preview below.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #9

I know my fellow staffers are loving SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN, but truthfully, I haven't been enjoying it nearly as much as Marvel's other top titles (THOR, for example). That said, I simply have to pick up this issue. Why, you ask? Because it's a must read experience for any Parker fan. Dubbed "SUPERIOR NO MORE," this issue claims to be a huge turning point for the Otto/Peter dilemma. The outcome seems obvious (especially since we've seen solicits for future issues), but I'm still hugely curious to see how Dan Slott will play his hand. If you're even remotely interested in Spider-Man's struggle, this is definitely an issue you'll want to pick up.

Have a peek at four pages below.

New and on our radar

• TEN GRAND #1
  • THE BLACK BAT #1
  • THE MOVEMENT #1

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ and Twitter page in hopes of getting a new follower or two.

Staff
#1 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14586 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Bat and Hawkeye for me.

#2 Edited by Dernman (14610 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm skipping the pre history bull like I did with First X-Men, Avengers 1959, pre history S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 Posted by Raw_Material (3208 posts) - - Show Bio

Essential - Aquaman #19

#4 Edited by Fenderxx (356 posts) - - Show Bio

This is going to be a big week, think I have like 6 books coming out.

#5 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7470 posts) - - Show Bio

No Aquaman #19? :'(

#6 Posted by jwalser3 (4793 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Bat & Green Arrow!

Essential - Aquaman #19

That as well!

#7 Posted by Cavemold (1669 posts) - - Show Bio

Harbingers wars

Hawkeye

Is shadowman coming out? That too

#8 Posted by longbowhunter (6613 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely grabbing Green Arrow and Hawkeye. Had Freddie Williams do a Daredevil piece for me at C2E2 over the weekend. Told him I'd checkout the Movement. Hope Gail Simone brings some of that magic she put into Secret Six.

#9 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (4786 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel; Hawkeye, Superior Spidey, Iron Man, Thanos Rising, Age of Ultron, All New Xmen, Indestructible Hulk, A+X. DC; Animal Man, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Earth 2 and Detective Comics. Image; Ten Grand, Invincible Universe and Spawn. Harbinger Wars, Shadowman, Black Bat.

#10 Posted by jaybefre (54 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll tune into Iron Man again once the Stark Seven starts up because as the author tried to put it nicely it's been terrible since Kieron Gillen picked it up. His Young Avengers stuff is great but this Iron Man is stale.

#11 Posted by Cavemold (1669 posts) - - Show Bio

Wheres shadowman at greg!

#12 Edited by bladewolf (604 posts) - - Show Bio

Shadowman, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Hawkeye, Detective, and Action for me.

#13 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8838 posts) - - Show Bio

From the list I am getting Green Arrow, Hawkeye, Superior Spider-man, and the Movement

#14 Posted by CitizenJP (588 posts) - - Show Bio

That cover for Superior Spider-Man is pretty sweet.

#15 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh damn! That GA cover is awesome! Komodo and ollie are really going at it. That's the best action scene I've seen in a long time..

#16 Edited by Xwraith (14526 posts) - - Show Bio

"Change out of that outfit right now... it reminds me too much of your mother."

I think we can expect another New 52 debut soon.

#17 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

How about Indestructible Hulk? I'm getting that book.

#18 Edited by Raw_Material (3208 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

Black Bat & Green Arrow!

@raw_material said:

Essential - Aquaman #19

That as well!

You're right too..definitely Green Arrow..Let's see what Jeff Lemire's Ollie is made of!

#19 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely grabbing Green Arrow and Hawkeye. Had Freddie Williams do a Daredevil piece for me at C2E2 over the weekend. Told him I'd checkout the Movement. Hope Gail Simone brings some of that magic she put into Secret Six.

I read the preview and it definitely has a Secret Six vibe to it. I'm pumped.

#20 Edited by Dm225 (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman #19

Age of Ultron #7

Indestructible Hulk #7

Superior Spider-Man #9

Thanos Rising #2

#21 Posted by thebluedragon07 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally we get to see Black Bat come back. I wonder what they did with Cassandra Cain in this one, I hope she is still adopted by Bruce, and still part of the Bat family.

#22 Posted by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

Indestructible Hulk, Hawkeye, and Shadowman. Should be fun.

#23 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4595 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Parker memory fragment will be transferred somewhere and Doc Ock will have full control until the Parker Memory Fragment gets a new host (Kaine*wink*wink) to try yet again to gain control of his own body.

( + )

#24 Posted by kilomac29 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye for me, and maybe Aquaman.

On an unrelated note, but because I'm late to the party, its new to me. I just read issue #1 of East of West. MIND BLOWN! (definitely hooked)

#25 Edited by Dark_Guyver (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Just Detective Comics for me this week.

#26 Posted by knightofthechronicle (638 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: I almost jumped out of my chair when I read that.

So anyway, Detective Comics and Aquaman are going to be great too.

#27 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwing

#28 Edited by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do the Iron Man issues always make the list? They always suck and have bad reviews.

#29 Posted by AustinHasten (218 posts) - - Show Bio

WHERE THE HELL IS SWAMP THING?

#30 Posted by Hawkguy (571 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yes, another issue of Hawkeye, that basically makes the week!

#31 Posted by RedX9 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics

Green Arrow

Aquaman

Swamp Thing

Animal Man

All New X-men

Hawkguy

#32 Posted by Bigross123 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Age of Ultron #7 (wish I would have never started this mini series)

All-New X-Men #11

Aquaman #19

Detective Comics #20

Green Arrow #20

Movement #1

Superior Spider-Man #9 (I still hate that I love this series)

Ten Grand #1

#33 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye and Superior Spidey this week from this list.

#34 Posted by jstndmnd (950 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and Earth-2, both of which didn't make the list. Man, my comics never seem to make this list!

#35 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19497 posts) - - Show Bio

im behind and i think im gonna wait to go in until FCBD, which then i will get:

Justice League 18, 19

Superman 19

Action Comics 20

Earth 2 12

#36 Posted by Rixec (350 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (5856 posts) - - Show Bio

DAMn I love the first week of the month.

GREEN ARROW!!!

HAWKEYE!!!!!!!

Animal Man

Swamp Thing

All New XMEN

#38 Edited by HempKnight757 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics - Wasn't planning on sticking around, but 19 was good enough to come back.

Essential - Aquaman like Raw_Material said.

Earth 2

Snapshot

On the fence - Batwing

#39 Posted by nappystr8 (1016 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though I've been bracing for it since it was announced, I am not terribly happy to see Francovilla's art in Hawkeye. Maybe with Fraction giving him interesting design elements to play with, his art might start to grow on me.

#40 Posted by k4tzm4n (36123 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do the Iron Man issues always make the list? They always suck and have bad reviews.

They always make the list? That's news to me.

No Aquaman #19? :'(

It gets a nod in the intro!

@cavemold said:

Harbingers wars

Hawkeye

Is shadowman coming out? That too

Can't spam the feature with all Valiant, man.

Staff
#41 Edited by Waddly_Hobbins (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Arrow #20 for me.

#42 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (830 posts) - - Show Bio

Animal Man, Green Arrow and Hawkeye this week for me.

#43 Edited by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

Harbinger Wars

Earth 2

Savage Dragon

#44 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really looking forward to Ten Grand. It's got an intriguing premise and story: "Would you endure an eternity of pain and death, dying over and over, to be with the woman you love for just five minutes each time you died? Most people might say no. But Joe Fitzgerald isn't most people."

Plus Green Arrow, Hawkeye, Shadowman, Thanos Rising, and the final issues of Snapshot and Son of Merlin, and of course Animal Man & Swamp Thing. I may also check out The Movement.

Oh, and I can't believe you, Gregg, didn't mention Shadowman #0 at all - well no "honorable mentions" but "new and on our radar" this week. o.O

What a great week for comics!

#45 Edited by ThorBoy (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Solid week for comics:

Action comics

Indestructible hulk

Iron man

Superior spider-man

Age of ultron

#46 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics

Detective Comics

Superior Spider-Man

possibly Ten Grand

and the two Manhattan Projects trades if my LCS got them in.

#47 Edited by Overlander (429 posts) - - Show Bio

I find the lack of All-New X-Men disturbing.

#48 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

TEN GRAND COMES OUT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm now excited.

#49 Posted by saoakden (1010 posts) - - Show Bio

From here: Green Arrow, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Superior Spider-Man. Maybe The Black Bat.

#50 Posted by BoyWander (318 posts) - - Show Bio

What about The Wake by Scott Snyder!?