Things That Made Me a Comic Fan

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

Edited By Raw_Material

Hey what's up Viners and CV followers, here's some of the characters, movies, tv shows, and so on...that actually influenced me to falling in deep admiration to comics. Make sure to come by my page and check out the other lists, reviews, and blogs I have up. click here for the list this display came from.

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

One of the first, if not the first comic-related superhero movie I've actually watched and found myself to like. Seen the entire trilogy of the 1990 films they put together. Watching those never gets old.

2. The Mask

The legend, himself. At first watching this movie gave me the creeps, but this was one of the movies where you'd flip through the channels and always ended up watching this movie.

3. Power Rangers

This was before I knew there were more channels than Disney.

4. DragonBall Z

Never missed an episode!

5. Super Friends

Watching this animated series was probably how I found to like the Justice League. They were probably the first team of superheroes I've found out about besides TMNT.

6. Batman & Robin

After watching this movie was probably the start of me picking up my first comic issues. One of my favorite movies of all time.

7. Batman Returns

And he returned!

8. X-Men

All the X-Men movies were badass; but this one totally took me away. The characters matched perfectly from the comics.

9. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

<3

10. Hulk

This movie was the start of me having an admiration to the character, leading me to picking up all the Hulk comics after that.

11. Spider-Man

Spidey!

12. Daredevil

One of my favorite movies at the time.

13. Hulk
14. Hal Jordan

Really found Hal Jordan to have been one of my most favorite characters during Geoff Johns' run with Green Lantern.

15. Aquaman

Coming from the reality side of things, I love to surf and I'm pretty much in the water almost everyday; I think Aquaman seems to be one of the superheroes that I've looked up the most growing up.

16. Geoff Johns

My favorite writer of all-time; and now that he's taken the throne to write for Aquaman in 'The New 52', it makes it that much more satisfying.

17. Justice League of America

Always loved the Justice League. From their first animated series to their current one right now (Young Justice); I've always found to have liked the Justice League having Green Lantern, Aquaman and Batman being founding members of the team.

18. Teen Titans

Loved the first animated series growing up. And Cyborg's just a beast in the series too.

How were you greatly influenced to becoming a comic reader like myself?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I love Hulk but detest that movie, similar situation for Daredevil (though I don't like him as much as Hulk).

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

6. Batman & Robin

After watching this movie was probably the start of me picking up my first comic issues. One of my favorite movies of all time.  

But really, mind if I ask why it's one of your favorites?

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Raw_Material

@k4tzm4n: At the time I was probably 5-6 years of age and had the privilege to watch the premiere of the movie in theaters. It was maybe the first movie I actually remembered watching in theaters, which also had the persona of a real-life Batman walking around during the trailers before the movie started; which made it that much more exciting and memorable. Aside from the thrill and remembrance I had watching BATMAN & ROBIN in theaters, I really enjoyed the story line especially the duo of Batman and Robin, as well as the characters that played a role in it; Batman, Robin, Bane, Batgirl, Poison Ivy, and Mr. Freeze were some to point out. I was very young at the time, so I didn't really have much of a criticizing mind and based my interests off of the thrill, looks, and story of the movies I watched at the time.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By the_tree

Hey, I actually made one of these, too! Great minds, man, great minds. I definitely get you on Batman and Robin. Here's mine:

Things That Made Me a Comic Fan

A timeline detailing my comic fandom.

1. Batman & Robin

My first EVER comic book movie. I look back on it with fond memories because as a kid I thought everything about it was so cool. While I now think that it's a terrible movie, it still holds a special place in my heart.

2. Batman

Specifically, Batman: The Animated Series. It was on whenever I could watch it. It was my all-time favorite cartoon growing up. When I was 3 or 4, I went as Batman for Halloween while my little brother was Robin.

3. Terry McGinnis

Specifically, the Batman Beyond cartoon. I thought the whole future thing was too cool! The show still holds up today along with the others on this list. Similarly to when I went as Batman for Halloween, the next year I went as Terry McGinnis.

4. Spider-Man

The Spider-Man animated series was the bomb growing up. It's still pretty enjoyable, too.

5. X-Men

Specifically the animated X-Men series, I used to watch that all the time at my babysitter's house. And X-Men: Evolution was pretty cool as well.

6. The Batman/Superman Movie

I remember begging my mom to buy this for me on VHS. I mean, come on! It was Superman and Batman in the SAME movie!

7. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero

Due to the cover, I begged my mom for this one too. It's still my favorite Batman: The Animated Series movie.

8. Spider-Man

It was the first comic book movie I ever went to see in theaters. Green Goblin was terrifying, but Spider-Man saved the day in an epic fashion.

9. Static

Static Shock was an excellent cartoon series that I also watched as a kid. I remember waking up early on Saturdays to watch it on The WB. Virgil Hawkins was and still is awesome.

10. Sonic

When I was in elementary school, Sonic the Hedgehog was THE videogame series. In 3rd grade, my friend brought in an issue of the Sonic the Hedgehog Archie Comics series. That issue was the first comic I ever read, and I immediately went out to buy several more issues.

11. Batman Begins

While I didn't know what was going on at the time, I still thought everything Batman had and was doing was badass.

12. Krypto

I used to love watching the Krypto the Superdog cartoon as a kid. I feel sort of bad for the kids that missed out on such a show. :P

13. Teen Titans

The Teen Titans cartoon was completely awesome, and it still is. I can watch this show whenever, and I never feel like I'm too old. The show also introduced me to my beloved Doom Patrol, whom I can't get enough of.

14. San Diego Comic-Con

Watching the broadcasts of this on G4 pushed me further into the comic realm.

15. The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite

The first graphic novel I've ever read. Back when I was a youngster, I was really into My Chemical Romance, so when I learned that Gerard Way was making a comic book I just had to check it out. It's one of the most memorable and odd books I've ever read and I really enjoy it.

16. Watchmen

I was searching for several different superheroes one day on the web around 2006 when I stumbled upon news for a Watchmen movie. I didn't even know who the hell the Watchmen were, they just looked interesting. As the years went on, my interest in them further peaked. It wasn't until a few months before the release of the movie that I was given the graphic novel and read it.

17. Watchmen

One of my first graphic novels, the first one I've read that is considered a classic.

18. Green Lantern

After following movie info on Watchmen, I further went to follow the Green Lantern movie. I thought that the concept for Green Lantern was awesome, and to tide me over until the release of the movie, I took to reading Blackest Night. (And the movie turned out to be a colossal disappointment)

19. Blackest Night

This was the series that made me serious about collecting comics. I went out and picked up issues 1-8, and I've never looked back.

20. Doom Patrol

The Doom Patrol is amazing. I grew to love them from the Teen Titans cartoon. After I purchased Blackest Night, the Giffen run on Doom Patrol was the first superhero, team ongoing series I ever picked up. The series is fantastic, and I'm still upset about it getting cancelled because of Flashpoint. My first ever collectible comic is a Doom Patrol issue as well, it's their first appearance, My Greatest Adventure #80.

21. Booster Gold

I read about Booster online, from lurking on forums. I later decided he was interesting and then picked up the first 32 issues of his series. I later proceeded to read the entirety of those issues in one single day. It was just so damn interesting and it still is. Booster is my favorite superhero of all time.

chocobojam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By chocobojam

What influence me in reading comics are:

Batman animated series

cartoon network Teen Titans

and Geoff Johns Teen Titans

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Raw_Material

@The_Tree: LOL! Nice list man. Great minds do think alike. Yea I fully agree with you on BATMAN & ROBIN and believe this movie caught my attention because of how old I was at the time. Knowing that BATMAN & ROBIN was one of the first superhero movies you've ever watched and that a Sonic comic was one of your first issues you've read, I'm guessing you were born around the late 80s/early 90s like myself? Again, nice list bro!

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_tree

@ckuakini: Sort of, I was born in '95.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Raw_Material

@The_Tree: nicee..pretty much what I meant by early 90's, from year '95 - down. The Batman Animated Series was one of the main shows that influenced me into liking Batman even more and introduced me to a whole world of superhero characters. The first Spider-Man movie definitely got me to like the character more than ever and had influenced me into picking up my first couple Spider-Man issues after that. Really loved the Blackest Night story arc and thought of it as one of the best story lines in comic history; fell in love with Geoff Johns during is run with GREEN LANTERN.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_tree

@ckuakini: Yeah, as a kid I couldn't get enough Batman. Whether it was from Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Batman & Robin, or the straight to VHS movies. It was all just too cool. My favorite animated series was Teen Titans, though. It was superheroics at its best, it was really fun, and I really enjoyed seeing all the heroes and villains that made appearances.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jack Donaghy

Anything Batman related but mainly Batman: TAS, Spider-Man: TAS, X-Men: TAS, Superman: TAS, Justice League/Unlimited are what made me a comic book fan.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raw_Material

@chocobojam: @Jack Donaghy: Yea I stand by the fact that most of us born around the 90's have been greatly influenced by the animated series of superhero comics such as Batman: The Animated Series, Super Friends, Teen Titans, Justice League: Unlimited, X-Men: The Animated Series, Spider-Man: The Animated Series, and the many other cartoon animated TV series.

Frenemy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Frenemy

TMNT and The Mask were so cool in the 90's lol