Alright, hear me out. Wouldn't it be awesome if the powers that be put out comic book taking place in middle earth. I honestly am surprised it has not happened sooner. In my opinion the possibilities for story lines are pretty vast and numerable, but here is just a few of the top of my head.
1) An alternate front during the war of the ring( we saw a little of this in the game LOTR war in the north)
2) A story taking place in the older ages like the second or 3rd
3) kind of like 2, What happened with Morgoth, maybe we could see how sauron became who he is, and is decent into darkness under Morgoths control.
4) What about all of those Kingdoms in the Barrow Downs that fell to Angmar, lets see hoe they held out against it, and what they were like when they were in power.
5) Aragorn when he was strider riding all over middle earth, meeting up with gandalf, and hanging out in Rivendell.
6) Stories from the perspective of either Gimli, or Legolas before or after the war of the ring.
7) events taking place in the 4th age, where basically everyone in the fellowship has a position of power
I think anyone of these story lines done right has the possibilty to be down right BAD ASS.