#1 Posted by Hipsterhobo (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, hear me out. Wouldn't it be awesome if the powers that be put out comic book taking place in middle earth. I honestly am surprised it has not happened sooner. In my opinion the possibilities for story lines are pretty vast and numerable, but here is just a few of the top of my head.

1) An alternate front during the war of the ring( we saw a little of this in the game LOTR war in the north)

2) A story taking place in the older ages like the second or 3rd

3) kind of like 2, What happened with Morgoth, maybe we could see how sauron became who he is, and is decent into darkness under Morgoths control.

4) What about all of those Kingdoms in the Barrow Downs that fell to Angmar, lets see hoe they held out against it, and what they were like when they were in power.

5) Aragorn when he was strider riding all over middle earth, meeting up with gandalf, and hanging out in Rivendell.

6) Stories from the perspective of either Gimli, or Legolas before or after the war of the ring.

7) events taking place in the 4th age, where basically everyone in the fellowship has a position of power

I think anyone of these story lines done right has the possibilty to be down right BAD ASS.

#2 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, that would be pretty cool. I usually find LotR boring (except the movies), but I could probably get into this.

#3 Posted by Hipsterhobo (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I understand where your coming from the books themselves are hard to get into but the whole universe is rich and full of detail, also on a separate note I could totally see IDW, or Dark Horse putting out a comic like this, just not Dynamite, I've never really cared for them.

#4 Posted by Kingsford (45 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hipsterhobo: I thought I've seen a LOTR comic before but im not totally positive. If I find out I'll let you know.

#5 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Urgh, no, this would likely taint the franchise.

#6 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Urgh, no, this would likely taint the franchise.

This, basically.

#7 Posted by Hipsterhobo (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking the same thing, but imagine if it was done right? Also there were tons of LOTR properties that were bad for example the movie games, or the terrible cartoon.

#8 Posted by LukeOwen (3 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6257 posts) - - Show Bio

An expanded universe could be a risky move, but I imagine comic adaptations of Middle Earth books would go down pretty well.

#10 Edited by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Im so down for number 3. Sauron origin.

#11 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6257 posts) - - Show Bio

Creative teams would be an important factor if they were to expand things. I think J.R.R. Tolkeins' son completed an unfinished Middle Earth book, so he seems like the kind of person who would be worthy of adding more stories.

#12 Edited by RustyRoy (12018 posts) - - Show Bio

The adventures of Bilbo Baggins, I'd love to read that. Vertigo is the right place for a LoTR/Hobbit comics. Number 1 and 5 are awesome.

#13 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

It'd need to be Dynamite or Dark Horse, as I feel IDW doesn't always care for the original material.

I've also been thinking similar for Harry Potter as well, but LotR would be cooler.

#14 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw the title of this forum and thought "yep I want to see that, now!"

Lets make it happen people!

#15 Edited by MandoViking (347 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see this happen.

#16 Posted by Cap10nate (2241 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a comic for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time which is quite similar to Middle Earth and even more grand in scale. I personally haven't read it so I can't comment on the quality of the comic.