THERE ARE NO RULES!!!!!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

This has been bugging me for a while now. What happened to enforcing the rules of the site? Remember when duplicate threads were locked quicker than you can blink? Or when swearing was a deadly sin? Or when topics had to be in the right thread section? Or how about when users had to be respectful of other users. It really does seem like this has all gone out the window. Users are now allowed to make any any topic they want even if it's covered by a topic prominently covered right on the site's front page, those duplicate threads are just thrown anywhere the user was on the site when the created it, swearing is apparently just fine now, and the worse thing of all is the downright disrespectful manner a LOT of users have towards other users.

I miss the good old days when the rules of the site were right on the main forum page and they were heavily enforced. I think that's what made me stick with this site for so long.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2 JediXMan  Moderator

I think the problem is that the veteran users have been replaced by a horde of newbies.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: that's part of the problem but I think some of it is also lack of mods...you wouldn't think it by looking at the list of mods but a lot of them are inactive but are still mods for some reason and then some of them I hate to say this but I don't think some of them even deserve to be mods at all...I remember that they used to say that one of the requirements for being a mod is that you had to have a major presence on the site and some of them have less than a 100 forum posts, no reviews, and no wiki points...so how are they mods?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@jedixman: that's part of the problem but I think some of it is also lack of mods...you wouldn't think it by looking at the list of mods but a lot of them are inactive but are still mods for some reason and then some of them I hate to say this but I don't think some of them even deserve to be mods at all...I remember that they used to say that one of the requirements for being a mod is that you had to have a major presence on the site and some of them have less than a 100 forum posts, no reviews, and no wiki points...so how are they mods?

The mods with few posts are developers. And yeah, it's weird to see why the inactive users are still mods. I remember aztek telling me gave up his mod title months ago.

BB

DigbyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mods, please lock this thread.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Hm I rarely see mods these days, ether that or there just less noticeable with the new sight design

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson: those mods should either be staff or have their own special title...just think of how many people probably message them with issues that just get ignored

I miss aztek :(

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@digbykong: @jedixman: @danhimself:

Why lock it? These are valid concerns from long-time users.

I agree with you guys. The rules on the site seem to have... slipped. Due to both lack of mods and amount of newbies that just don't care about the rules. But they're not being because there's not enough mods.

I think the solution is to have users put up nominations to some of the veteran users, like yourselves, for modship. The staff picks the ones with the most votes and makes them mods.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digbykong: @jedixman: @danhimself:

Why lock it? These are valid concerns from long-time users.

I agree with you guys. The rules on the site seem to have... slipped. Due to both lack of mods and amount of newbies that just don't care about the rules. But they're not being because there's not enough mods.

I think the solution is to have users put up nominations to some of the veteran users, like yourselves, for modship. The staff picks the ones with the most votes and makes them mods.

I don't think that it should be a popularity contest at all...just let the staff replace the idle mods with the users that they feel are best for the job

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@danhimself: Hmmm...

I see your point.

Maybe I need a break from the Gen. Discussion forums.

I've got popularity contest on the brain. :P

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AweSam

No one follows the rules because no one enforces them. The mods don't do anything anymore.

Join the coup.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

You mean I've been censoring my cursing and there was no one to make me all this time, well F**k.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself

You mean I've been censoring my cursing and there was no one to make me all this time, well F**k.

occasionally someone might pop along and say "bad joshmightbe" and maybe slap you on your knuckles with a ruler

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: No, I come and say "This is a family site!"

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: With my luck I'd start just as the mods decided to put their foot down and get banned.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By turoksonofstone

Mods are still around Poet, Pikahyper, and Fesak still all seem active to me. Whiskey Media did run a tighter ship overall than CBS does but such is the price of success.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21 JediXMan  Moderator

Mods are still around Poet, Pikahyper, and Fesak still all seem active to me. Whiskey Media did run a tighter ship overall than CBS does but such is the price of success.

As active as these guys are, they're busy dealing with the wiki.

In fact, most of the active mods are wiki mods. And in fairness, it is a rather taxing job working on the wiki, but they need more mods to deal with the forums.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Many of the great have fallen. Only a few remain.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

The problem is the new users, no offense to anyone but they have really brought the forum down. Not to call any names but there are some users who spam the forums with threads that makes very little sense and some are down right trollish. Like, "Martin Luther King jr vs Cyclops", "Who can beat Jesus?", "What goes on inside a womans head" and many others stupid threads that's a waist of my time mentioning. Add that to the fact rudeness is through the roof and trolling is heavy,you have a forum that is worst then it used to be. That being said I would not put the blame on the mods, they can't monitor everything that goes on with this site they are not omnipresent gods. If anything we need more mods, the ones we have are not the problem they can only do so much they do have lives besides Comicvine so they can't be on here 24/7

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011: I know a lot of people here who are more helpful than most of the mods. Razz and Poet are very helpful, but some of the others just don't care anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-57a27b0adc1c5
deactivated-57a27b0adc1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Martin Luther King jr vs Cyclops", "Who can beat Jesus?", "What goes on inside a womans head" and many others stupid threads that's a waist of my time mentioning.

I cannot help but laugh at the mere sound of that.

I'm one of the fairly newer users, but I use to see on-going stuff like that when I was just a observer passing through. Recently I made an account with a friend mainly because we just said "why the hell not."

I hope to at least set a better example although I have never started a thread before (Looking for a good or greater reason to). I just participate in the on-going discussions. I consider myself a newer comic book reader so I can still learn a thing or two.

DJ1107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DJ1107

Think my favorite thread is the Superior Spider-man general discussion where it's more angry fanboys bashing the book then it is discussing about it.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to be clear here...I don't have a problem with new users...it's the lack of enforcement that's the problem...the new users are coming to a site where all these rules used to exist but now no one is enforcing them...so it's like raising a child without ever disciplining them and they don't know they're breaking the rules

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Rules just cramp peoples style I guess.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

There's a site rules thread pinned to all forums, as well as one written by myself explaining how to put things in proper forums. Feel free to link users to them ad nauseum.

And as always, if you have an issue with a topic, flag it or PM the mods. There are only so many of us and we only have so many hours of time available, You have to help us help you - you can't expect us to be omniscient.

I'm here a lot and whenever I see a thread in the wrong section or something that's gotten out of hand, I handle it, per my job as a moderator.

But I am not all seeing nor all knowing and it's an unfair burden to expect us to be on top of everything without utilizing systems that have been made available to you.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

There's a site rules thread pinned to all forums, as well as one written by myself explaining how to put things in proper forums. Feel free to link users to them ad nauseum.

And as always, if you have an issue with a topic, flag it or PM the mods. There are only so many of us and we only have so many hours of time available, You have to help us help you - you can't expect us to be omniscient.

I'm here a lot and whenever I see a thread in the wrong section or something that's gotten out of hand, I handle it, per my job as a moderator.

But I am not all seeing nor all knowing and it's an unfair burden to expect us to be on top of everything without utilizing systems that have been made available to you.

you are one of the few mods from the list that I see doing things though and I think you're doing the absolute best you can do

I don't expect the mods to be on top of everything either

my main point is that the mods list is full of inactive mods who are never on the site anymore...like BB mentioned above Aztek hasn't been active in like a year and yet he's still a mod and he's not the only one...I think that the mods that are active are doing the best they can do but you can't have 2 cops patrol an entire city and expect there to be no crime

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If mods locked every Duplicate thread then the main page will be filled with only locked threads or it will eventually replaced by another rounds of duplicate threads.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@billy_batson: those mods should either be staff or have their own special title...just think of how many people probably message them with issues that just get ignored

I miss aztek :(

They'd get PMs as staff too and how do you know they don't answer them? :p

Shhh, he might see that.

@mercy_ said:

There's plenty of them just in the G.E. discussion alone :V

@rustyroy said:

If mods locked every Duplicate thread then the main page will be filled with only locked threads or it will eventually replaced by another rounds of duplicate threads.

They can delete them though.

BB

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I feel you, man. It's gotten pretty bad lately.

I need to be made a mod, I'd lay down the law in these forums like it's nobody's business.
I need to be made a mod, I'd lay down the law in these forums like it's nobody's business.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious....I've only been here about a year..maybe 18 months max. And "respect for other users" has never been here in that time. How far back are we going? I've found myself on the defensive since day one, anytime I write something someone doesn't agree with, or I make an error. As a result, I've accepted that's the way it is, and am not always "respectful" myself. ( I admit that) Especially when I'm put on the defensive by another user. I'd love to see respectful debates, but in the time I've been here, that doesn't happen. (Much)

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By warlock360

@dccomicsrule2011: as someone who has been here 6 years I can tell you every new wave had its good and its bad few. The longer you hang around the more you notice nothing really changes in the long run.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@jedixman said:

I think the problem is that the veteran users have been replaced by a horde of newbies.

This really. I felt the change most after coming back on here after a month's absence due to exam revision. The newbies are cramping the veteran Viner's style.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An old saying in Liverpool

"It could be worse"

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@jedixman said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

This really. I felt the change most after coming back on here after a month's absence due to exam revision. The newbies are cramping the veteran Viner's style.

We're not all bad :(

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@jedixman said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

Does no one realize how ... wrong this is? Why shouldn't there be "newbies"? There should ALWAYS be newbies and as for cramping "veteran" Viner's styles, oh PUHLEASE.

Don't go in the thread, don't read and if you see a duplicate thread, link it to a mod and FLAG it. I see no problem at all -- and as for the swearing, again, link it to a mod and FLAG it.

It isn't a matter of moderators doing their jobs, it's a matter of users helping them do their jobs. Jobs, by the way, that they volunteer to do since they are users as well. How about we help them a bit -- there are reasons why there is a flagging option.

If anything, maybe a moderator who is on all night would be a good idea -- such as someone from Oceania when their day is North America's night or someone who has been known to be on CV during those hours.

Besides that, I see no problem.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: I somewhat agree, but I do feel the mods are doing less than they used to. It's true, whenever a duplicate thread popped up in the past, it would get locked on the spot. Trolling, swearing, etc, were usually dealt with. Of course we need more new users. The more veteran ones tend to be worse. They think they have some sort of immunity against getting banned. I've only been here for a year and a half, so I don't really consider myself a veteran.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

we need a new sherriff in this lawless place

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just feel that there are less mods, I remember the mods back when I started around here...they scared me.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43  Edited By comicace3
@thetimestreamer said:

we need a new sherriff in this lawless place

haha yeah... It seems as if we flag the threads nothing will happen but when we pm the mods, to them it's annoying.