Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

Title speaks for itself. It's a new annual thing I decided to do (which is why I didn't get a review up last week). These are all MY opinions. If you disagree, don't complain.

Best Writer of 2012

Geoff Johns

Johns has been giving us epics all year long with Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Justice League. And after his work on Flashpoint, how is this guy not writing the Flash? Anyway, Johns takes home writer of the year.

Second place: Scott Snyder (while I personally feel his work on Batman is overrated, he is a great writer and deserves to be on here)

Third Place: Brian Azzarello

Best Ongoing Series of 2012

Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman has just been truly amazing. It has an actual story form, it gives WW a great new costume, and it's just down right good. Not to mention it gave us the return of Orion.

Second Place: Aquaman

Third Place: TIE: Batman/The Amazing Spider-Man

Thor: God of Thunder would be on here, however, we only got 3 issues of it in 2012. Though it will probably be in next year.

Best Single Issue of 2012

Thor: God of Thunder #3

It was just an amazing issue. After Two nice issues, Thor: God of Thunder got even better with number 3. While I personally liked #4 more, that was published in 2013.

Second Place: Batman #11

Third Place: The Amazing Spider-Man #700

Best Male Hero of 2012

Aquaman

This is NOT my personal favorite. My favorite character is Thor, though he was a punching bag most of the year. Aquaman gets #1. He went out there, and proved to everyone how f*cking awesome he can be and that he's more than just a joke. Not to mention he just looks epic.

Second Place: Spider-Man

Third place: Batman

Best Female Hero of 2012

Wonder Woman

No one else deserves the spot. Just, no one did anything that impressive.

Second Place: Catwoman

Third Place: Ms. Marvel

Best Male Villain of 2012

Joker

Who the Hell else deserves this spot? Everything Joker has done in 2012? Well, he only had two or three appearances, but still.

Second Place: Dr. Octopus

Third Place: Dr. Doom

Best Female Villain of 2012

Cheetah

Gonna be honest: Not much to say here.

Second Place: Hera

Third Place: Poison Ivy

Best New Character of 2012

Not much to say. Again....

Second Place: H'el (almost took first)

Third Place: Simon Baz

Best Team of 2012

Justice League

I know, a Justice League with no Martian Manhunter is absolutely ridiculous. But they have been the best team this year. I don't even think it's possible to keep track of the dozens of Avengers and X-men teams, so who else is there for #1? Even though they're missing the heart of the League.

Second Place: Fantastic Four

Third Place: Thunderbolts

Best Costume of 2012

Superman

Superman's costume is just truly epic. There were A LOT of contenders for this one. I choose Superman for number one because his Pre-Flashpoint costume was horrible in every way, while it's been massively improved here.

There are so many other contenders, I'll just list them:

  • Thor
  • Wonder Woman
  • SHAZAM!
  • Batman
  • Nightwing
  • Deadpool
  • The Punisher
  • Iron Man

Most Awesome Looking Team of 2012

Thunderbolts

Don't they just look awesome? It's just a perfect looking team. Black & Red are perfect together.

Second Place: Fantastic Four.

Third Place: Justice League Dark

Best Comic Movie of 2012

The Avengers

I LOVED The Dark Knight Rises. I loved everything about it. It's the greatest film DC has ever made, animated or live action. But The Avengers was a better comic book movie, plus I just liked it more.

Now, there will not be a second or third place thing, because there were only two good comic movies this year. The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises.

Best Comic Television Series of 2012

Arrow

It's an amazing show, and the greatest thing seen on TV in YEARS. I love Avengers: EMH, Young Justice, Justice League (Unlimited), and others, but none of those compare to this. If you have not watched Arrow yet, WATCH IT NOW!

Second Place: The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes!

Third Place: Young Justice/Young Justice: Invasion

Best Moment of 2012

Justice League Formation

This was just a truly epic moment. The formation of the Justice League.

Second Place: The Return of the Joker in Batman #13

Third Place: Superman gets an awesome costume in Action Comics #5 or 6 (I forget(

Master of PIS in 2012

Batman

Batman is and always will be the Master of PIS. He'll be taking home the award EVERY year unless something changes.

Second Place: Captain Cold.

Third Place: Every other one of Flash's villains (except Professor Zoom. But I think he's gone).

Worst Moment of 2012

New 52 Power Girl

As bad as it was seeing some of our favorite characters gone in the New 52 (my big sad is Stephanie Brown), what they did to Power Girl was an atrocity (is that the right word?). It's an insult to the name, and it the worst moment in 2012 comics.

Second Place: Stephanie Brown and Wally West still erased from history.

Third Place: Cyclops killing Professor Xavier in Avengers vs X-Men.

Worst Comic Movie of 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man

This movie was just terrible. Downright TERRIBLE. It gets the worst comic movie of 2012. For more, look at my review.

Worst Comic Television of 2012

Ultimate Spider-Man

Just... wow. When I first heard about the series, I was happy. I had been reading the Ultimate Spider-Man comics and loving them, and I loved the character Spidey. So, I gave it a try. Worst. Show. Ever. Okay, maybe not that bad. But still horrible. I can't believe they cancelled the Spectacular Spider-Man for this.

Most Underrated Comic Series of 2012

My God, what is with all the hate for Catwoman? It's spectacular. Better than the Batman ongoing. Yes, this cover may not be the most flattering, but still...

Second Place: Superman (why do people hate it before #0)

Third Place: Blue Beetle (I like it more than the previous two, although it doesn't get a lot of hate, so it's not #1. It's underrated people because never bring it up. They never shut up about Batman)

Most Improved Character of 2012

Billy Batson/Captain Marvel/Shazam

I never liked Billy. I found him annoying. Though he's awesome in the New 52. I would of given it to Superman or Aquaman, though those two made their improvements in 2011, right before 2012. But Billy didn't debut again until 2012. So, yeah.

Second Place: Thor (he was a punching bag most of the year, though it took three issues for him to improve)

Third Place: ???

Well, that's my 2012 Comic Awards. Be sure to be here next year for the 2013 Comic Awards.

#1 Posted by Pyrogram (36490 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed, I cannot think of a villain either now you mention it.... That cat women cover is... Lol

#2 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

Agreed, I cannot think of a villain either now you mention it.... That cat women cover is... Lol

Yeah, I couldn't either. And the cover isn't anything special, but I just felt it worked the best.

#3 Posted by Loki9876 (3004 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey that's a very cool idea! And you have some good taste by the way.

#4 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876 said:

Hey that's a very cool idea! And you have some good taste by the way.

Thanks on both comments.

#5 Edited by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree with most. I don't think Spider-Man was that bad of a movie and Arrow sucks as a TV show. X.x Young Justice is where it's at!

Edit:

Oh, and Catwoman. X.x So much mixed feelings!

#6 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@Target_X said:

Agree with most. I don't think Spider-Man was that bad of a movie and Arrow sucks as a TV show. X.x Young Justice is where it's at!

We have completely different opinions there.

And YJ is great, though:

  1. It's been on hiatus half the year.
  2. It's kind of went downhill some in Season 2. Still good, but still.
#7 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@Target_X said:

Agree with most. I don't think Spider-Man was that bad of a movie and Arrow sucks as a TV show. X.x Young Justice is where it's at!

We have completely different opinions there.

And YJ is great, though:

  1. It's been on hiatus half the year.
  2. It's kind of went downhill some in Season 2. Still good, but still.

Tis good to disagree sometimes!

#8 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@Target_X: How true.

#9 Posted by andrewtheking (960 posts) - - Show Bio

can i do this [ mine will be mostly indie tho ] ?

#10 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@andrewtheking said:

can i do this [ mine will be mostly indie tho ] ?

Sure.

What'd you think of my picks?

#11 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

Good blog, and although I don't agree on everything it is well thought out, and explained

#12 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

Good blog, and although I don't agree on everything it is well thought out, and explained

Thanks, and what don't you agree with?

#13 Posted by TheGreen (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is that stabbing Batman?

#14 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreen: Talon.

#15 Posted by TheGreen (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: Ok. Thanks, man.

#16 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#17 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool choices, man! I'm especially looking forward to reading Thor this year

#18 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@JLDoom said:

Cool choices, man! I'm especially looking forward to reading Thor this year

Thanks. And make sure to get Thor. It's so awesome.

#19 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1881 posts) - - Show Bio

Not bad. This kind of stuff is, of course, matter of opinion. Neither I, or anyone else, can tell you your picks are wrong. Mine would be different, but i only have 2 strong disagreements with you.

1) The movies: For reasons I won't get into, (I have in other threads) I had serious problems with The Avengers, and it baffles me to no end that anyone thought it was great. (Good..eh, maybe, but soo many flaws, can't call it great.) I know I'm in the minority here, but I stand by it. I also thought Amazing Spider-man was quite good. I enjoyed it much more than The Avengers.

2) Now, The Amazing Spider-man comic on the other hand, I don't think belongs anywhere near a "top-anything" list. Dan Slott is the master of "Deus ex Machina." and were he writing any other Marvel book/character, he'd have been fired a long time ago.

3) That said, glad to see Wonder Woman getting some props. While I don't think it's the best series, it's very good, and should have more readers. I feel the same way about Daredevil. I'd put them both in the top 5. (heck, I'd put Daredevil at #2)

4) I'm still undecided about Superman's costume. It is better than the underwear on the outside suit, but it's so different, and he's so iconic, it's odd seeing anything about him change. Technically, you are right though. This costume is better.

Good list though, and I did enjoy reading your opinions.

#20 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manwhohaseverything said:

Not bad. This kind of stuff is, of course, matter of opinion. Neither I, or anyone else, can tell you your picks are wrong. Mine would be different, but i only have 2 strong disagreements with you.

1) The movies: For reasons I won't get into, (I have in other threads) I had serious problems with The Avengers, and it baffles me to no end that anyone thought it was great. (Good..eh, maybe, but soo many flaws, can't call it great.) I know I'm in the minority here, but I stand by it. I also thought Amazing Spider-man was quite good. I enjoyed it much more than The Avengers.

2) Now, The Amazing Spider-man comic on the other hand, I don't think belongs anywhere near a "top-anything" list. Dan Slott is the master of "Deus ex Machina." and were he writing any other Marvel book/character, he'd have been fired a long time ago.

3) That said, glad to see Wonder Woman getting some props. While I don't think it's the best series, it's very good, and should have more readers. I feel the same way about Daredevil. I'd put them both in the top 5. (heck, I'd put Daredevil at #2)

4) I'm still undecided about Superman's costume. It is better than the underwear on the outside suit, but it's so different, and he's so iconic, it's odd seeing anything about him change. Technically, you are right though. This costume is better.

Good list though, and I did enjoy reading your opinions.

I just personally hated everything about ASM (other than Emma Stone, the costume, and the Stan Lee cameo) and feel there's nothing to like about. I don't want to go into too much, but I have a review for The Amazing Spider-Man AND the Avengers if you want to hear my full opinions.

I just personally enjoyed it, and I wanted at least one Marvel thing in all my categories. Thor was too early in it's run, and the only thing I had was Spidey.

Yeah, WW is an extremely underrated book. I don't see how it's not selling better. I haven't read DD, and I probably won't because I asked a major DD fan if it's good and he said not to get it. So I listened to him.

I just hate the underwear look and feel anything is better for him. I love the costume, and it till has the famous Red & blue, S logo, cape, and tights, so I really don't think it matters how iconic the old look was. This still is.

Thank you.

#21 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1881 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@Manwhohaseverything said:

Not bad. This kind of stuff is, of course, matter of opinion. Neither I, or anyone else, can tell you your picks are wrong. Mine would be different, but i only have 2 strong disagreements with you.

1) The movies: For reasons I won't get into, (I have in other threads) I had serious problems with The Avengers, and it baffles me to no end that anyone thought it was great. (Good..eh, maybe, but soo many flaws, can't call it great.) I know I'm in the minority here, but I stand by it. I also thought Amazing Spider-man was quite good. I enjoyed it much more than The Avengers.

2) Now, The Amazing Spider-man comic on the other hand, I don't think belongs anywhere near a "top-anything" list. Dan Slott is the master of "Deus ex Machina." and were he writing any other Marvel book/character, he'd have been fired a long time ago.

3) That said, glad to see Wonder Woman getting some props. While I don't think it's the best series, it's very good, and should have more readers. I feel the same way about Daredevil. I'd put them both in the top 5. (heck, I'd put Daredevil at #2)

4) I'm still undecided about Superman's costume. It is better than the underwear on the outside suit, but it's so different, and he's so iconic, it's odd seeing anything about him change. Technically, you are right though. This costume is better.

Good list though, and I did enjoy reading your opinions.

I just personally hated everything about ASM (other than Emma Stone, the costume, and the Stan Lee cameo) and feel there's nothing to like about. I don't want to go into too much, but I have a review for The Amazing Spider-Man AND the Avengers if you want to hear my full opinions.

I just personally enjoyed it, and I wanted at least one Marvel thing in all my categories. Thor was too early in it's run, and the only thing I had was Spidey.

Yeah, WW is an extremely underrated book. I don't see how it's not selling better. I haven't read DD, and I probably won't because I asked a major DD fan if it's good and he said not to get it. So I listened to him.

I just hate the underwear look and feel anything is better for him. I love the costume, and it till has the famous Red & blue, S logo, cape, and tights, so I really don't think it matters how iconic the old look was. This still is.

Thank you.

I wonder what the reasoning was for the huge DD not liking current Daredevil? I'm a huge Mark Waid fan, and don't mind saying that probably skews my view a bit, but it did win the Eisner Award for "Best ongoing series." Hate to say it about WW..but maybe she doesn't sell as well because she's a female hero in a predominantly male audience medium?

#22 Posted by TheVoiceOfReason (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman is definitely the best on-going series right now.

#23 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there a page on the internet somewhere that just shows all the New 52 issue 0 covers?

#24 Posted by andrewtheking (960 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree with the show and female parts

#25 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheVoiceOfReason said:

Wonder Woman is definitely the best on-going series right now.

Agreed.

@ZEELLO said:

Is there a page on the internet somewhere that just shows all the New 52 issue 0 covers?

Not that I know of. I just googled Wonder Woman 0 in google images and got what I needed. Same with Catwoman.

@andrewtheking said:

I disagree with the show and female parts

Which show and how come?

#26 Posted by tomlikesfries (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely agree with your choice of Best Looking Team. The new Thunderbolts series has the potential to be one of the greatest comic titles of the decade, but, unfortunately, it utterly sucks.

#27 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomlikesfries said:

Absolutely agree with your choice of Best Looking Team. The new Thunderbolts series has the potential to be one of the greatest comic titles of the decade, but, unfortunately, it utterly sucks.

Thanks. And feel free to form your own opinion, but I personally feel it's too early to judge the Thunderbolts title. So, I'm waiting another few issues.

What did you think of the other picks?

#28 Posted by tomlikesfries (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: I agree with lots of your choices, except for the Worst Comic of the Year (ASM).

And, to be honest, I don't think there really is any hope for Thunderbolts. Maybe there would be if Dillon left. Seriously, the art is terrifying. The writing isn't that good either, but I do believe the pencilling is the weak link.

#29 Posted by briangsharon (147 posts) - - Show Bio

I agreed with a lot of what you said... except

My God, what is with all the hate for Catwoman? It's spectacular. Better than the Batman ongoing.
#30 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@briangsharon: IF you don't mind me asking, how come you disagree with that?

#31 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

Apart from Batman winning the PIS stuff,its nice.

#32 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpoolrules said:

Apart from Batman winning the PIS stuff,its nice.

What's wrong with Batman taking home that award?

#33 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20151 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated Catwoman #0 and Amazing Spider-Man wasn't that bad, although it was the weakest of the superhero films of 2012, so it does qualify as the worst.

#34 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Catwoman was not bad (I'm talking about the whole series, more than #0), which is why it got most underrated comic.

And Amazing Spider-Man deserves the worst. It was downright horrible

#35 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

You thought Ghost Rider was better than ASM?

#36 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero: Haven't seen Spirit of Vengeance.

#37 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: Probably better that way.

#38 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero said:

@TheCannon: Probably better that way.

I take it that it's not that good?

#39 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20151 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@Razero said:

@TheCannon: Probably better that way.

I take it that it's not that good?

If you think Amazing Spider-Man was bad watch Ghost Rider : Spirit of Vengeance

#40 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@Razero said:

@TheCannon: Probably better that way.

I take it that it's not that good?

I seriously regret spending money to go see it.

#41 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@TheCannon said:

@Razero said:

@TheCannon: Probably better that way.

I take it that it's not that good?

If you think Amazing Spider-Man was bad watch Ghost Rider : Spirit of Vengeance

I do like bad movies (you know, stuff SO BAD it's good like Batman & Robin. ASM was just downright bad), so I will. But I'm not spending money on it. I watched the first one for free on TV.

#42 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero said:

@TheCannon said:

@Razero said:

@TheCannon: Probably better that way.

I take it that it's not that good?

I seriously regret spending money to go see it.

Well with Nicholas Cage, I already knew not to spend money on it.

#43 Posted by SavageDragon (2250 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting choices, I like most of them. Geoff Johns is one of the best writers when hes on point, and Aquaman had the best comeback of the New 52. I read the Trench and the others story arcs on my Ipad and loved them (art was awesome too). I havnt read Wonder Woman sometime I need to get on that.

Im surprised there were no Indie Books on your list. 2012 was a HUGE year for Image and Vertigo and IDW to lesser extent. Yeah Ultimate Spiderman is a disaster but I didnt dislike ASM the film all that much. Superman looks cool in his new costume.

#44 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@SavageDragon: Yeah, Aquaman is amazing. And so is Wonder Woman, you really need to read it.

Honestly, I don't read much indie stuff. I can only go by what I've read/seen.

And ASM was just terrible. At least some horrible movies are so bad they're funny, but this was just pure sh*t.

#45 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I might have to start reading the new Thor series. Trying to avoid Marvel, as I hated everything I read by them last year, but the constant praise I keep hearing for the new Thor definitely has me intrigued. Plus when Thor is written well (IE: not as a punching bag) he's one of my favorite characters.

#46 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moonchilde: I understand how you feel (I still refuse to buy anything Avengers or X-men related), but Thor is by far the greatest thing Marvel has right now. If he's one of your favorite characters (as written correctly, like you said), then you will want to get this series.