The Where Should I Start thread

MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By MichaeltheFly

There has been a LOT of threads scattered around Comic Vine lately all asking the same thing:  Where do I start?   A good place to start is Babs' Brutally Honest: New To Comics? video!   

In this thread you can: 

• Refer to what other Viners have already recommended; or
  • Ask for new recommendations; or 
  • Make recommendations! 

Characters, Teams & Titles

Recommendations that have been given for particular teams or individual characters.  Listed alphabetically.  

Avengers

Ultimates & Ultimates 2 (virtually no baggage, but remember it's an alternate universe so there's no connection to regular Avengers) 
Avengers #1 Volume 3 or Avengers #1 Volume 4 (You get to see all Avengers together, so it's a good introduction point & start of a story/series)  

Batman

Year One (gritty & origin story)
Long Halloween & Dark Victory (by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale, early stories)
Death In The Family (death of Robin)
Killing Joke  
Arkham Asylum (gritty with dark art)
Cataclysm & No Man's Land (NML isn't a jumping on point on it's own)
Batman #700 (a mish-mash of collected stories that introduce you to Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson & Damian Wayne as Batman. However it feels like non-canon, more like a homage than a recommendation). 
War Games 
Hush 
Batman RIP 
Heart of Hush 
Battle for the Cowl 
Batman And Robin  (Dick Grayson as Batman)  
Dark Knight Returns (alternate future) 

Booster Gold

Booster Gold #1 to #12

Captain America

The Ed Brubaker run = Captain America #1 Volume 5 (after issue 50 the series is re-numbered to #600; what the original series would have been) 
Captain America #25 (the Death of Captain America, immediately after Civil War
Fallen Son 
Reborn
Two Americas (Captain American #602) & the new Zemo story (Captain America #606) are stand alone stories. 

Darkness

Witchblade #10 (1st appearance) 
Darkness #1 Volume 1 by Mark Silvestri & Garth Ennis (first volume lasted 40 issues)

Deadpool

Deadpool #1 the first on-going series by Joe Kelly & Ed McGuinness (now available in 3 trade paperback volumes)

Doctor Doom

Dr Doom/Dr Strange Triumph and Torment 

Doctor Strange

The Oath (5 issue mini set a few years ago & retells origin story)  
Strange (4 issue mini after he's been stripped of the title 'Sorcerer Supreme') 

Fables

Fables #1 or the Legends in Exile which reprints the start of the series.  Check the Fables page for all collected paperbacks.

Hack/Slash

Hack/Slash & Omnibus Vol 1 (the series started off as one-shots & minis which are collected in the Omnibus)

Power Girl

Power Girl #1Power Girl #4, Power Girl #7Power Girl #9 (various story arcs of the new series)

Spider-Man

Essential Spider-Man (early reprints in black & white)  
DVD collection  (link to Amazon.com) 
Ultimate Spider-Man (alternate universe) 
Brand New Day (modern jumping on point) 
New Ways To Die 
American Son 
The Gauntlet 
Grim Hunt

Star Wars

KOTOR: Knights of the Old Republic (takes place before the game;  liberties have been taken, the things that were left to the player's imagination are revealed to be quite wanting)

Supergirl

Supergirl #1 the current ongoing series (without any connection to previous Supergirls, you wont get weighed down by excessive continuity.  She's new to this Earth, so you start afresh as she gathers her own Rogue's Gallery) 

Superman

All-Star Superman 

Teen Titans

Child's Play story (Teen Titans #71 to #78
Teen Titans #79 to present 

Thanos

Thanos Imperative

Witchblade

Witchblade #1 onwards  

Wonder Woman 

Wonder Woman #600 onwards.   
The Greg Rucka & JG Jones issues (ie Wonder Woman #195 to #226

X-23

X-23:  Innocence Lost  
X-23: Target X  
NYX #3 onwards
New X-Men #21 onwards 
X-Force

X-Men

Also see Chris Claremont (below) 
World War Hulk: X-Men (lots of exposition to introduce you to lots of X-characters) 
Messiah CompleX 
Dark Reign: Dark Avengers / Uncanny X-Men: Utopia 
Second Coming  
X-Men #1 (Newest on-going series featuring the Curse of the Mutants storyline)
X-Treme X-Men (for fans of Storm and/or Chris Claremont's story-telling) 
Astonishing X-Men (for fans of Joss Whedon's writing)  
Essential X-Men (reprints of 1960's issues in black & white) 
Age Of Apocalypse (alternate universe connected to Earth-616 by the Legion Quest storyline)

Creators & Publishers

Listed alphabetically, these are the recommendations given for specific creators (i.e. writers or artists) or playing catch up for particular publishers.

Chris Claremont

Uncanny X-Men: he had an original 16 year stint on the title, followed by later stories in the 1990's. Check here & here
X-Treme X-Men

DC

Similar to Red Hood: Lost Days - Red Robin, Birds of Prey, Batman & RobinDark Knight Returns, Watchmen,  Seven Soldiers Of Victory 
Heroes & Anti-Heroes - Secret Six, Legion of Super HeroesBatman #700, Superman #700 & Wonder Woman #600, Rogues' Revenge & Flash Rebirth

Grant Morrison

Seven Soldiers Of Victory, Batman & Robin, New X-Men

Joss Whedon

Astonishing X-Men Volume 3 (issues #1 to #24) & ending with Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men #1

Marvel

After Fallen Son -  Secret Avengers (Dark), Avengers (Flashy) & Thanos Imperative (Cosmic), Heroic Age (restarting many series) 

Top Cow

Something like the Witchblade & Darkness, but 'newer' - Upcoming '13 Artefacts' story line. 

Vertigo

Contact or check the Lists of aztek_the_lost. He daily-updates his lists ranging from 1993-2010 of all the Vertigo comics he has or hasn't read over the years.  

Themes  

Can't quite put your finger on it?  But you vaguely know the sort of thing you're after?  You're not the only one...

Dark

Recent Daredevil & Shadowland, Watchmen,  Dark Knight Returns

Kids

Lockjaw & the Pet Avengers, Fraggle Rock, Power Pack (both the original classic & the many 4-issue limited series set in an alternate universe)
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty
@Michael the Fly: Marry me...!!  Seriously though I've been thinking of a 'recommendation' thread, but this works too.   

If you don't mind, I might edit your first post every now & then with common recommendations :)
MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#3  Edited By MichaeltheFly
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Michael the Fly: Marry me...!!  Seriously though I've been thinking of a 'recommendation' thread, but this works too.    If you don't mind, I might edit your first post every now & then with common recommendations :) "
You can edit other people's post, go ahead, lol, does that offer for marriage still stands?
markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By markini6

I've been redirected by a moderator to here so see if anyone can help :)  I've noticed all the great reviews that Hickman's run on Fantastic Four has been getting, and I love pretty much everything that he's written, so I'm looking to start reading the book. I remember reading somewhere that it might be a good idea to read the Dark Reign: Fantastic Four TPB first, but I've seen quite a few bad reviews for it. So my question is do I need to/should I read it, or can I just ignore it and go straight to 
Fantastic Four By Jonathan Hickman Volume 1 Premiere HC

Avatar image for scipioafricanus
ScipioAfricanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ScipioAfricanus

Could anyone recommend a Magneto comic? I read testament and loved it and would like to read more about him.

Avatar image for guitar_gangster
Guitar Gangster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Guitar Gangster

Hey everyone!  I was wondering if anyone could help me w/ getting started collecting TMNT comics.  How many different TMNT series were there? 

truthinmirrors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By truthinmirrors

I'm interested in starting reading Fables, but there a bunch of different series. Where should I start?

courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By courtney12490

Ultimate Fantastic Four. Do I have to start from the very beginning?

Avatar image for megacomicslover
megacomicslover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By megacomicslover

Legion of Superheroes seems interesting also :-)
I nocited they have "re-started" the series now. 
This is one group again that I dont know much about, only the little I glanced from the Wikipedia.
Should I start buying it directly now from issue two...or maybe read some TPBs to know the characters better?

f0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By f0rk

Hey guys, 
I've been a casual comic fan for a while, started with Ultimate Spider-man and have collected all the trades up to Ultimatum. Couple of years ago I got Civil War and some of the collections, and also Captain America #1-25. 
Recently I've decided to start reading a lot more, so got all the Captain America trades (up to reborn) and Planet Hulk omnibus just because it sounded like a cool idea.  
I would like to get caught up with the marvel arcs since Civil War (through trades), but there's so much stuff and I'm interested in all the characters (except spider-man). I have a wish list to work my way through, can I get some advice on read order, if I'm missing anything, if some of them aren't worth reading and if they are all good points to jump on. I'm obviously not going to buy them all at the same time.
They are all trades found on Amazon UK. 
World War Hulk 
Invincible Iron Man (#1-19) 
Thor 
Secret Invasion (maybe the Infiltration trade as well. I'm not sure about these two because it seems to have bad reviewers but looks sort of important to the marvel universe) 
Messiah Complex -> Messiah War -> Utopia 
Dark Avengers  
The List
Siege 

Thanks for any help, I'm asking quite a lot >.<.

Avatar image for megacomicslover
megacomicslover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By megacomicslover

Where should I  start Justice Society of America  :-)?
Thanks on advance.

Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Tainted-Cell

Speaking of trades, big important question.
I'm looking for two CLASSIC Spider-man stories to buy in trade, not the stuff coming out these days. I'd like to know what a Spider-man fan would recommend picking up. I've thought about Kraven's Last Hunt, but hmmmmm what do you think? Also bear in mind that I do enjoy lengthy writing styles, as I don't want to just fly through a bunch of well drawn action pages and finish the book in the time it would take to put down one Claremont comic.

Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By Tainted-Cell

Hate to be a bother, but I also don't want to start another thread asking for advice. Can anyone point out some good classic Spider-man story-arcs collected in trade? Talking pre-Maximum Carnage.

scourgexlvii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By scourgexlvii

I've been out of comics for the better part of a decade, and I want to find a good spot to start back again. Mostly, I'm tired of dark, and gritty comics, which was actually one of the reasons I stopped reading, so I'd like something, if not lighthearted and humorous, at least not dark, or morose. I've read a bit of new Blue Beetle, and am still looking to pick up some more trades of it, perhaps, but since it has been canceled for a while, and has no real chance to come back any time soon. I've also read the first 12 issues of power girl, but with the creative team I've known and loved has left, I don't really want to continue on with it, at least until I hear more reports on it, but I don't really like the new direction it seems to be going in. I tried 52, but a combination of the fact that I wasn't familiar with much DC before I left comics (I was a marvel fan for the most part), and I didn't really know anything in DC since, I guess, 2002, so I didn't know about some of the stuff it mentioned, and it alienated me a bit. I want to read deadpool, but when I started with his series, it was a bit harsh and abrasive in its delivery, so if there was a less abrasive book with similar humor I'd like to see it.

Zniperking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Zniperking

Anyone know which Doctor Strange Books to read?

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hinderk

I'm new to comics and would like to get into the DC universe. Up until now I've been sticking with indie titles and one shots because I feel completely lost when trying to read any of DC's current tiles. What should I read to get caught up with what's currently happening in the DC universe?

Powerzone789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Powerzone789

anybody know any good daredevil stories? i just read guardian devil and i wanna get more into him...
N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By N7_Normandy

I was interested in reading about x-23, wolverine, Emma Frost, and Domino.  I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good stories that can help me learn more about these characters?     

also, f or xmen second coming, are the issues that are not part of the 14 chapters vital to read?  Would I be missing much if i just read the 14 chapters?

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By N7_Normandy

So far, I've started reading batman, x-men, and spider-man.  what are some other good series will help me understand both of the marvel and dc universes?  Are the avengers or Green lantern good?  Where would be a good jump in point for the avengers or lantern?  I don't really want to buy to many tpb, so try to give me more current jump ins please.
N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By N7_Normandy

What can I read to learn more about Fantomex?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xerox_kitty
@truthinmirrors said: 

" I'm interested in starting reading Fables, but there a bunch of different series. Where should I start? "

This may sound sarcastic, but I promise it isn't... but #1 really is the best place to start.  A lot of Fables has been collected in trade paperbacks, so that's probably your best bet.   Check out the Fables volume page where Aztek has provided links to the various trades, starting with Legends in Exile.

@Zniperking said:

" Anyone know which Doctor Strange Books to read? "

Doctor Strange: The Oath is a 5 part limited series that is set a few years ago, but very sneakily tells you his origin story.  It's a great place to start.  I also really enjoyed the recent Strange 4-part mini by Mark Waid. 

@N7_Normandy : X -23 = X-23: Target X & X-23: Innocence Lost.  Then the New X-Men issues after the House of M (issue 21 onwards), and of course the recent X-Force.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xerox_kitty

The Opening Post of this thread has been up-dated to reflect the many recommendations made so far.  Obviously, Batman & the X-Men are the most popular requests.   

However, we have MANY requests for info that have gone unanswered!  Please help with these:

Characters & Teams  

Daredevil

What are the good Man Without Fear stories for Powerzone789

Domino  

N7_Normandy is interested finding out more about the lucky monochromatic lady. 

Emma Frost

Where can N7_Normandy learn more about the diamond X-Lady?

Fantastic Four

markini6 enjoyed Jonathan Hickman's run.  Should he read Dark Reign: Fantastic Four?  Or can you recommend something else? 

Fantomex

Please recommend some good stories where N7_Normandy can learn more about this mysterious mutant.

Green Lantern

Are there any good stories to get N7_Normandy hooked?

Justice Society of America

Is there a good place for megacomicslover to start reading the JSA?

Legion of Super Heroes

Should megacomicslover start with the latest series with #1?  Or is there a better place to start?

Magneto

Please recommend some stories for ScipioAfricanus who wants to read about the Master of Magnetism.  

Marvel

f0rk wants to know which trades to buy that collect the best stories after the Civil War.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I know there are Turtles fans on CV, so someone help recommend a place for Guitar Gangster to start. 

Spider-Man

Surprisingly there haven't been many older stories recommended.   Tainted-Cell has Kraven's Last Hunt, but wants to know about more pre-Maximum Carnage stories.

Ultimate Fantastic Four

courtney12490  wants to know if #1 is the best place to start.  

Wolverine

Please recommend some good stories for N7_Normandy to learn about the Old Canucklehead. 

Publishers & Themes

DC 

hinderk has been an Indie buff for many years, but feels lost trying to break into the world of DC.  What's a good jumping on point for a DC Newbie?

Theme:  Anti-Dark

Are there any fun & witty stories that you can recommend for scourgexlvii?  He's tired of dark & gritty stories, but likes action with banter.
Avatar image for anthonycorletto
AnthonyCorletto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AnthonyCorletto

cool deadpool one more thing i hate that 404 thing i cant post
gotjoe11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By gotjoe11
@Tainted-Cell: 

I'd recommend for you the death of the stacys trade paperback. It's really good. And for the second one I'd recommend you birth of venom.
markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By markini6

So I have the first two volumes collecting Grant Morrison's New X-Men and will soon have the third and final one, and I also have Messiah Complex and the books that follow on from that (Utopia, Nation X). Seeing as though I will soon have finished Morrison's work, I'm wondering what books I should read that came out between his stuff and Messiah Complex. I mainly read non-superhero stuff and after having read Messiah Complex and Messiah War I'm not really interested in X-Force or X-Factor, so if anyone could recommend good books in that period which focus more on the "proper" team, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Avatar image for inspiringmuffin
InspiringMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By InspiringMuffin
@megacomicslover: I think a good start would be the JSA series that started under Geoff Johns in 2007.  Starting Issue. It has a good introduction to the characters, and the Gog arc is particularly good. It helps that it ties in to Kingdom Come, which is a classic.

@N7_Normandy: For Green Lantern, I can't help but recommend the Sinestro Corps War. It's a great arc. If you're really looking to get into what's going on now, I suppose you could just read Issue #29 and on if you want the origin story AND the lead in to the current time. You can skip the origin story if you know it really well, but I found it to be a good read, as I wasn't terribly familiar with Green lantern before Rebirth. Again, Sinestro corps war was easily one of my favorite arcs, I really recommend it. 

@scourgexlvii: It might be a little dark, but for sheer humor, I found that I'm liking Chew a lot. If you're looking for a completely blood-free book, this isn't it, but it's got humor and action. It's really off-beat, so that helps: Also, the first TPB is 10 dollars, which is pretty tough to beat. If you're looking for good clean action that isn't grim and gritty, I've been loving the current Fantastic Four run with Hickman. And for another recommendation: Guardians of the Galaxy, the current run. It's got great moments of humor and action, and it avoids taking itself too seriously.

Hope this helps, folks!
daken_2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By daken_2513
@markini6 said:
"So I have the first two volumes collecting Grant Morrison's New X-Men and will soon have the third and final one, and I also have Messiah Complex and the books that follow on from that (Utopia, Nation X). Seeing as though I will soon have finished Morrison's work, I'm wondering what books I should read that came out between his stuff and Messiah Complex. I mainly read non-superhero stuff and after having read Messiah Complex and Messiah War I'm not really interested in X-Force or X-Factor, so if anyone could recommend good books in that period which focus more on the "proper" team, that would be great. Thanks in advance. "

I would say Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men cuz is somewhat of a contituation of Morrison's New X-Men and the House of M cuz that story arc was somewhere in between his run on Astonishing

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By markini6
@daken_2513: I've already read House of M and so far on my "to buy" list I've got the big Astonishing X-Men Collection by Joss Whedon, Deadly Genesis, Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire and X-Men: Supernovas. Any others to suggest or tell me not to get which I've listed?
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Mercy_
@xerox-kitty: OMG. The OP looks amazing!
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
Ok, let's see.

Fantomex

Please recommend some good stories where  N7_Normandy can learn more about this mysterious mutant.

New X-Men is the go-to series in search for good Fantomex stories, since it was the series that introduced the character, courtesy of Grant Morrison. He appeared prominently in the New Worlds TPB (more accurately, New X-Men # 128-130), Assault on Weapon Plus (# 139-145), and was present during Planet X (# 146-150).

He returned during the relatively recent
Nation X storyline, as well as the Dark Reign: The List - Wolverine, one-shot. 

Magneto

Please recommend some stories for  ScipioAfricanus who wants to read about the Master of Magnetism.  

One of the things with Magneto is that he resonates strangely with people. He's equally effective as a ruthless, but charming, idealistic villain, or a noble anti-hero. So, Magneto as depicted in the following stories is not consistent, but, the beauty of the character is his different facets through the years. The following is a list with him mostly being the latter, rather than the former.

Magneto: Testament, is a great recent mini-series about Magneto's early years. It's a nice starting point for the character, as it vividly illustrates the whys and wherefores that came to shape Max Eisenhard into Magneto ("Magneto" never actually appears).

Uncanny X-Men # 150 is also very good, as Magneto comes to draw a line between his life as a villain and ponder on if he actually became what he always abhorred.

Uncanny X-Men # 200 features the trial of Magneto, which is a turning point for the character as, not only he faces the consequences of his prior evil deeds, but eventually Xavier wants him to become headmaster of the Institute, and teach the New Mutants. 

God Loves, Man kills
- Magneto stands with the X-Men in their quest against the fanatical William Stryker.

Age of Apocalypse
- All things considered, I view this is one of the penultimate Magneto stories. It's basically a giant "what if?" but it works to near perfection, and Magneto is in its core, as founder and leader of the X-Men in honour of his fallen friend, Charles Xavier, against the forces of Apocalypse, who has dominated humans and mutants alike. 

Nation X - I included this, not under the belief that it was such a great story, but because it will help people catch up with Magneto's current status, and, as far as Magneto is concerned, Fraction did a good job capturing the driving force and internal struggle of his character.

Memorable stories with the character being a rogue would be
X-Men: Mutant Genesis, Fatal Attractions, X-Men # 112- 113, and Planet X (which takes it to the extreme, so it should preferably be read within context, otherwise it makes no sense).

Ultimate Fantastic Four

Pretty much, yes. The Ultimate Fantastic 4 have made various appearances in other titles (Ultimate Spider-man, Ultimate Extinction, Ultimate Power), but this is their core volume and the obvious choice for someone who wishes to read more of them.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#31  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Morpheus_ said:

Ultimate Fantastic Four

Pretty much, yes. The Ultimate Fantastic 4 have made various appearances in other titles (Ultimate Spider-man, Ultimate Extinction, Ultimate Power), but this is their core volume and the obvious choice for someone who wishes to read more of them. "
It's also a great read. (I was so tempted to say it's a fantastic Reed, but the badness of that pun would destroy the Universe if used seriously).
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@FadeToBlackBolt: I liked the portions of Ultimate Fantastic 4 that I've read, but Ultimate Spider-man vol. 1, and the Ultimates (Which volume you ask? But there are only two volumes. What? Loeb has written a third? I refuse to believe this) are my favourites from the Ultimate Universe. I enjoyed Ultimate X-Men for the most part, as well.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Morpheus_ said:

" @FadeToBlackBolt: I liked the portions of Ultimate Fantastic 4 that I've read, but Ultimate Spider-man vol. 1, and the Ultimates (Which volume you ask? But there are only two volumes. What? Loeb has written a third? I refuse to believe this) are my favourites from the Ultimate Universe. I enjoyed Ultimate X-Men for the most part, as well. "

I haven't read Ultimate X-Men, I was too afraid to, just in case I didn't like it. I love Ultimate Spidey too (I have hardcovers 1-9, so I haven't read the last 4 arcs), but the real Ultimates (1 & 2) are just unbeatable as far as the Ult. verse goes. :)
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" I haven't read Ultimate X-Men, I was too afraid to, just in case I didn't like it. My love Ultimate Spidey too (I have hardcovers 1-9, so I haven't read the last 4 arcs), but the real Ultimates (1 & 2) are just unbeatable as far as the Ult. verse goes. :) "
Have no fear in picking up Ultimate X-Men. It only started to fluctuate 20-30 issues before the end, but it was a good read prior to that.

I love Ultimate Spider-man and Millar's Ultimates a great deal, so I can't really choose between them, especially since they are radically different in style.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Morpheus_ said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" I haven't read Ultimate X-Men, I was too afraid to, just in case I didn't like it. My love Ultimate Spidey too (I have hardcovers 1-9, so I haven't read the last 4 arcs), but the real Ultimates (1 & 2) are just unbeatable as far as the Ult. verse goes. :) "
Have no fear in picking up Ultimate X-Men. It only started to fluctuate 20-30 issues before the end, but it was a good read prior to that.

I love Ultimate Spider-man and Millar's Ultimates a great deal, so I can't really choose between them, especially since they are radically different in style.
"
That's true. What do you think of the current Ultimate Comics stuff? (Avengers and Spider-Man, not the Loeb stuff)
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" That's true. What do you think of the current Ultimate Comics stuff? (Avengers and Spider-Man, not the Loeb stuff) "
I enjoy the Avengers, but it's a fun comic, mostly. No real depth to it, and that's fine, because it's still worth the read, but it's not up to the standards Millar previously set with his Ultimates.

I haven't read Ultimate Comics Spider-man in a while, the rt has put me off to it. I do intend to catch up, though.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Morpheus_ said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" That's true. What do you think of the current Ultimate Comics stuff? (Avengers and Spider-Man, not the Loeb stuff) "
I enjoy the Avengers, but it's a fun comic, mostly. No real depth to it, and that's fine, because it's still worth the read, but it's not up to the standards Millar previously set with his Ultimates.

I haven't read Ultimate Comics Spider-man in a while, the rt has put me off to it. I do intend to catch up, though.
"
I really liked the Ghost Rider arc, but that's mostly because of how awesome Ghost Rider makes everything he touches. The only thing that worries me is the characters he's using. I'm enjoying the stories, but his new Hulk really annoyed me.
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" I really liked the Ghost Rider arc, but that's mostly because of how awesome Ghost Rider makes everything he touches. The only thing that worries me is the characters he's using. I'm enjoying the stories, but his new Hulk really annoyed me. "
I didn't mind Cash, but I begin to fear we'll end up with ten different versions of the Hulk running rampant in the Ultimate universe, much as they do in Earth 616.

Ghost Rider was great all the way through.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Morpheus_ said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" I really liked the Ghost Rider arc, but that's mostly because of how awesome Ghost Rider makes everything he touches. The only thing that worries me is the characters he's using. I'm enjoying the stories, but his new Hulk really annoyed me. "
I didn't mind Cash, but I begin to fear we'll end up with ten different versions of the Hulk running rampant in the Ultimate universe, much as they do in Earth 616.

"
Yep, the Devil's Bounty Hunter, that's how I like my Ghost Rider. The ending with the Punisher was surprisingly well done as well.
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @Morpheus_ said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:

"
Yep, the Devil's Bounty Hunter, that's how I like my Ghost Rider. The ending with the Punisher was surprisingly well done as well. "
The moral of the story was that
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Morpheus_: Heh, that's been the awesome moral of both arcs so far =]
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @Morpheus_: Heh, that's been the awesome moral of both arcs so far =] "
Haha, indeed.
spider-pig23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By spider-pig23

X-23: Would Target X be a good starting point?

Avatar image for greenlantern555
GreenLantern555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GreenLantern555
@xerox-kitty: @N7_Normandy: Here is a list of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps Stories from Rebirth: 

Green Lantern: Rebirth (collects the six issue miniseries) (Mar 28, 2007) 

Green Lantern VOL1: No Fear (collects #1-6) (May 20, 2008) 

Green Lantern Corps: Recharge (five issue miniseries) (Jun 21, 2006) 

Green Lantern VOL2: Revenge of the Green Lanterns (#7-13) (Oct 7, 2008) 

Green Lantern Corps VOL1: To Be a Lantern (#1-5) (May 2, 2007) 

Green Lantern VOL 3: Hal Jordan - Wanted (#14-20) (January 13, 2009) 

Green Lantern Corps: The Dark Side of Green (#7-14) (November 7, 2007) 

Sinestro Corps War, Vol. 1 (GL #21-23 and GLC #14-15) (May 5, 2009) 

Sinestro Corps War, Vol. 2 (GL #24-25 and GLC #16-19) released on June 23, 2009 

Tales of the Sinestro Corps (various one-shots and backstories of the Sinestro Corps) released on June 30, 2009 

Green Lantern Corps: Ringquest (#19-20, 23-26) (December 2, 2008) 

Green Lantern: Secret Origin (#29-35) (December 16, 2008) 

Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns (#26-28, 36-38, and the FC one-shot) released on July 7, 2009 

Green Lantern Corps: Sins of the Star Sapphire (#27-32) released on June 9, 2009 

Green Lantern: Agent Orange (#39 - 42) released on November 10, 2009 

Green Lantern Corps: Emerald Eclipse (#33 - 36) released on November 10, 2009.      

-Blackest Night 

#Brightest Day 

Hope this helps ;-)
Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By Mediant
mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mavfan626

Big time Marvel and Deadpool fan still new to comic's, so were should I start with DC?  
Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By Jotham
@mavfan626 said:
" Big time Marvel and Deadpool fan still new to comic's, so were should I start with DC?   "
The Long Halloween, Transmetropolitan, Hellblazer. I'm a Marvel and Deadpool fan and I liked them all. And of course I recommend it in nearly every thread, so: All-Star Superman.
Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48  Edited By Roxanne Starr
@mavfan626 said:
"Big time Marvel and Deadpool fan still new to comic's, so were should I start with DC?   "

Superman: Red Son
mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mavfan626
@Jotham:@Roxanne Starr: 

I'm not really a big superman & batman fan. I like the underdog types any idea's?
Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Jotham
@mavfan626: Transmetropolitan and Hellblazer.