#1 Posted by Bruxae (12607 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay so I am a fairly new comic book reader and I recently played through the game "The Walking Dead" wich got me intrested in possibly reading the comics,

one of the things in particular that made me enjoy the game as much as I did was that characters kept dying left and right, both new and older loved characters.

This kept it very fresh and uncertain and helped in actually worrying for characters because you knew they could die and if the did, they wouldnt miraculously

come back a little later.

So my question is, is the comics the same way? Do people die and not come back and how often does this happen? please try to answer without spoilers if

you can since im planning to read everything from 1 - 105 if I get good feedback.

Any general comments and reccomendations are welcome aslong as they are spoiler-free! : )

Thanks for reading and replying.

#2 Posted by The_Tree (7219 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yes, character die regularly. I can't tell you how many times I've had a favorite character, then they get killed off, then I find a new favorite character, then they get killed off, and then the cycle continues.

#3 Posted by Icarusflies (12465 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bruxae: I'm pretty sure that if someone dies in the Walking Dead comics, they STAY dead. It's a pretty realistic zombievasion I think.

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (57765 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the phrase that the comic book uses "Nobody is safe." should tell you something.
BB

#5 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bruxae: In the comics people die just as often, if not more than the game. If you liked the game, you will love the comics and I encourage you to buy them!

#6 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17312 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, they die, first you really like them and you think" hey, he is a fan favorite, he can't die right?" but then BOOM! your favorite dies, and someone new comes in....

it's an awesome series.

#7 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bruxae: Brilliant series, and I'd highly recommend it. Never read a 100+ series where all issues have been good. Not all great, but none bad. That says something.

#8 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

I have the same rule for the Walking Dead as i do for Game of Thrones, don't get too attached to characters :p

#9 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yeah, Walking Dead is filled to the brim with character death. No one is safe.

#10 Posted by dondave (34445 posts) - - Show Bio

Characters die left, right and center

#11 Posted by Bruxae (12607 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds awesome, thanks for the feeback.. I believe its time to start reading! :D

#12 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

I still haven't played the game but I will play it in the near future.

#13 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17586 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah characters do die,though Rick probably wont die unless they decide to end the comic.

The TV series is also really good,I like it better than the comics actually.It is different to the comics as well so its just as unpredictable.

#14 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19916 posts) - - Show Bio

Rick and Carl won't die any time soon, although they have both been injured and have lost limbs and other body parts (Carl his eye and Rick his hand). Michonne probably won't die soon, but that's what I thought about some other important characters too...

Other than them everyone is pretty much 99% positive to die sooner or later.

#15 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, there are many characters that can be Hulk.The only reason why writer that is because then Hulk would lose credibility.How embarrassing would it be for Hulk to lose to an X-Men character that's only been in 3 issues.My made up X-character has the power of force fields.The X-character throws Hulk into the sun and he dies there.

#16 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19916 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

Dude, there are many characters that can be Hulk.The only reason why writer that is because then Hulk would lose credibility.How embarrassing would it be for Hulk to lose to an X-Men character that's only been in 3 issues.My made up X-character has the power of force fields.The X-character throws Hulk into the sun and he dies there.

Wrong thread my friend.

#17 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

k my bad

#18 Posted by Cap10nate (2157 posts) - - Show Bio

The Walking Dead is a very emotionally draining series. Right before the season premiere, Comixology had a half off sale on all of the TPBs up to that point (Issue 98 or so. Whatever the last issue before the Fear arc). I bought them all and read them all within the week. It just get's so depressing when you read that many issues in a row, that I haven't read any of the issues since all those. It is a very gripping story that keeps you engaged, but the only thing that I don't like about the series is that it gets a little repetitive:

Find a safe place . . . a few die from zombies . . . Other living people become the real danger . . . move to a new place and repeat.

The story is still great though. I just don't feel like being depressed for a while so I haven't decided if I will pick up any more issues.

#19 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah they do die very often and don't return, cause Kirkman is a douche. nah joke, I dont like his work on Walking Dead but he is great on Invincible. He also kills off some character's there but he gets away with some comic book death power

#20 Posted by Sharkbite (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Kirkman has said that Michonne is essentially safe because his artist doesn't want to kill her and Kirkman doesn't want to have to change artists.

Beyond Michonne though, anyone else is fair game. Kirkman has even stated that he would be willing to kill Rick, and that most likely it will have to happen eventually if he wishes the comic to remain rooted in realism and not have Rick ascend to some sort of superhero status. The quote was something along the lines of "There are only so many bad things I could do to him without killing him before it would become totally rediculous and unbelievable."

So yeah, everyone except Michonne is presently fair game.

#21 Posted by Billy Batson (57765 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek:

Maybe you should edit out the spoilers when the OP hasn't even read the book yet.
BB

#22 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19916 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Maybe you should edit out the spoilers when the OP hasn't even read the book yet.
BB

Wait what spoilers? I don't think I mentioned anyone dying in my post.

And I have a Walking Dead advertisement on my right side. How ironic.

#23 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6040 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bruxae said:

Okay so I am a fairly new comic book reader and I recently played through the game "The Walking Dead" wich got me intrested in possibly reading the comics,

one of the things in particular that made me enjoy the game as much as I did was that characters kept dying left and right, both new and older loved characters.

This kept it very fresh and uncertain and helped in actually worrying for characters because you knew they could die and if the did, they wouldnt miraculously

come back a little later.

So my question is, is the comics the same way? Do people die and not come back and how often does this happen? please try to answer without spoilers if

you can since im planning to read everything from 1 - 105 if I get good feedback.

Any general comments and reccomendations are welcome aslong as they are spoiler-free! : )

Thanks for reading and replying.

YES. People dies and the comic is very brutal and will make you sad for the characters you like to see die. The game and the show are awesome but the comic is the best.

READ IT ASAP.

#24 Posted by Billy Batson (57765 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Wait what spoilers? I don't think I mentioned anyone dying in my post.

And I have a Walking Dead advertisement on my right side. How ironic.

Those injuries?
BB