The Walking Dead Book One Review

PenguinYeltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PenguinYeltz

Thought I'd write a review regarding Book One, which I received as a Christmas present. I love to write reviews in my spare time. It's nothing serious at the moment, but eventually I'd love to have a website but for now it's all for fun. So I'll share it here as a post. Just would like feedback on my review as I'm new to reviewing.

Hope you enjoy this post.

The Walking Dead Book One Review

Authors; Robert Kirkman

Artwork; Tony Moore, Charlie Adlard and Cliff Rathburn.

Publication date; 12th October 2010

Hardback 304 pages.

RRP; £25.99

Introduction:

The Walking Dead is a survival horror comic book series which is released monthly. The first comic book in the series was published in October 2003. There are currently 118 issues.

The story begins when the lead character, Rick Grimes, wakes up in hospital following a serious injury sustained during a shootout while on duty as a police officer.

Rick quickly discovers all is not well within the world.

Leaving his hospital bed he soon encounters the effects of the Zombie apocalypse which broke out while he was in a coma for a number of weeks.

He sets off in a post apocalyptic world to search for his wife and son. This is the gruesome story of Rick Grimes and his everlasting struggles to survive.

‘Book One’ features the first 12 issues of the Walking Dead series.

The Story:

The story focuses on Rick Grimes and his struggles to survive a zombie infection which has spread rapidly across the United States over a period of weeks. In this short period of time Rick remained unconscious in a coma and is completely unaware of the events that have occurred and has no idea as to the whereabouts of his family.

Rick returns to his home after scrambling out of the hospital and away from attacking zombies. Rick finds his house empty and with no sign of his family.

Guessing his wife would have taken his son to his wife’s parents, in Atlanta, Rick heads to the City in search for his family.

Without revealing too much of the plot Rick meets various characters as the story unfolds and he learns more about what happened while he was in a coma.

I found the story was gripping right from the start. I instantly feared for Rick and found myself wanting to find out more about him, the whereabouts of his family and whether they were or alive, dead or ‘walking dead’.

As well as wanting to read on for answers of Rick’s situation I also found myself asking ‘what happened to the human race?‘ and ‘what caused this zombie apocalypse?’.

The story is full of twists and turns which kept me wanting more. Admittedly I found some of the story and some of the twists a little too predictable; however this did not detract from the brilliance of the story.

I found myself getting to know the characters in great detail; the writers do a fine job of introducing new characters and conveying the different characteristics each character bring to the story. Each character is introduced in a believable way given the scenario and circumstances of the story.

The end of each page left me wanting more. Whenever Rick meets a new character I found myself questioning what their motives could be and whether their intentions were genuine or otherwise. Again the writers do a sterling job in getting across the ‘end of the world’ feel, which made me want to ask such questions.

The dialogue between the characters is excellent and the story its self is written brilliantly. Overall the journey I experienced with Rick was gripping; it was full of ups and many more downs. It made me excited to get to the end of the book. To discover answers.

The artwork:

The artwork has really grown on me. At first instance I was reluctant and questioned the black and white nature of the drawings. I felt it wouldn’t tell the story as well as some of the more modern comic art work.

However this was not the case. It works very well. In fact I would go as far as to say it makes the Walking Dead that much better and enhances the story.

It’s basic in style, but this basic style makes the more intense scenes stand out more. It really adds to the tension and drama of the story.

The black and white basic style is definitely one of the plus points in the comic series. The detail it goes into in some scenes is quite incredible. It really brings out the gore nicely!

Conclusion:

I really struggled to put the book down. I started reading on Boxing Day and finished the story by the 27

th

. I could not put it down! I am someone who struggles to read for hours on end. If anything I lose concentration quite quickly and many of my ‘reading sessions’ last for no longer than 30 minutes at a time. Where I go off and make a cup of tea or something. Reading the Walking Dead was a different prospect for me. I became hooked.

After I finished Book One, I immediately found myself wanting to read the second book. I duly ordered the same off the internet. I simply cannot wait to continue Rick’s story, such is the awesomeness of this story.

I would definitely recommend this to any fan of the TV series, any fan of comic books and just about anyone who enjoys reading!

Story – 9/10

Artwork – 8/10

Score 17/20.