k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Yes, we try to avoid big spoilers in here*

Instead of hitting us with an epic and explosive mid-season premiere, The Walking Dead decides to return with character-driven episode, focusing completely on Michonne and the relationship between Carl and Rick. The best part about this strong focus on each character is the fact they're able to tell us a whole lot about the three without blatantly spelling everything out for us. There's some legitimately creative shots and somewhat subtle moments that are totally appreciated throughout this one.

The decision to shine the spotlight on Carl more than usual is certainly going to be a polarizing move. Sure, Carl isn't nearly as likable as he is in the comic and yes, you'll want to scream at him in this one, but despite this, it was still a surprisingly effective character study. Although, who else gets insanely frustrated when zombies seem completely unable to bite someone's legs even though they have all the time in the world to do so?

Watching Carl go through this struggle is interesting (albeit annoying a few times), but the real highlight is with Michonne. Her dialogue is incredibly limited in this episode, yet "After" is still able to speak volumes about who she is as a person and what she wants. Plus, there's quite a bit of her slicing and dicing zombies, and who doesn't enjoy that?

Focusing on three main characters is good and all, but it's a surprising approach for the mid-season premiere. Yes, it's a good reminder of what they need to face again and allows them to show their true colors, but to give us no hint of the greater picture is a bit of a letdown and it also makes me somewhat concerned the post-prison source material could be drawn-out just like in Season Two. Also, this episode does drag at times, so the pacing is likely going to make or break it for some of you. Lastly, there's a scene taken from the comics (between Carl and Rick) which didn't translate all that well and went on longer than expected.

"After" is a great character study of Carl and Michonne. It doesn't build the hype for what's to come and definitely feels a bit too slow at times, but it's a good reminder of what life outside the prison fences is like and, more importantly, it's a solid analysis of two key characters. It may not be the most exciting or gripping episode yet, but it's one that's sure to give you a better connection to these two very important characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Carl was a prick in this episode and I wanted to kill him but him learning his lesson at the end and the other big thing that happened at the end (no spoilers) made the episode come full circle and really sealed it for me. The big thing that happened at the end was extremely powerful. So I liked it

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

I love this episode, and unlike some, I don't mind the slower episodes, not every minute has to be non stop action, character development is even more important.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Loved this episode. The acting was top notch. The writing was utterly phenomenal. And Michonne's dream sequence? One of my favorite scenes in the entire series.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

It was great slow episode.

This killed me.

No Caption Provided

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I loved this episode. I can understand the reasoning for Carl acting the way he does in the episode. He lost his mom and sister. And he thinks everyone from the prison is dead. He's going to do what most teenagers do and takes it out on the only one he has left. Michonne's scenes in the episode are phenomenal!

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By mak13131313
Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

More Michonne and less of Carl running around like an idiot please

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Promising.

Character development is fine, but please try to move the damn story along at the same time. Its not that hard.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Yawn

While Carl is starting to develop, and at this time in the comics he wasnt that cool either. You kinda have to be threw the big whiny baby phase.

Michonne is cool though.

Imo this was only 2.5 or 3 star episode.

EDIT: this was a 4 star episode for the sole reason that the Governors not dead!

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the Carl crying scenes were so bad they were funny.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Jacobin_Wisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jacobin_Wisdom

I'm glad they producers, and writers of the show decided to go this route of showcasing a few characters per episode to help develop them further. It'd be rather challenging if they had them reunite at first 20 or half hour of the show. That way, when they do reunite then the dynamics would have changed, and everything will feel fresh.

People complaining about the storyline taking too long to progressed, or don't like the slow burn of characters developing just want action, action and action. Kinda sad in a way.

skfalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carl wasted 5 bullets and a shoe.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Yawn

While Carl is starting to develop, and at this time in the comics he wasnt that cool either. You kinda have to be threw the big whiny baby phase.

Michonne is cool though.

EDIT: this was a 4 star episode for the sole reason that the Governors not dead!

ummm the Governor is dead. They showed his dead body in the first 2 minutes. Did you miss it?

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

Yawn

Michonne is cool though.

ummm the Governor is dead. They showed his dead body in the first 2 minutes. Did you miss it?

I saw it, his eye twitched then the camera went to michonne. I think he is alive.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The big problem I had with is I felt Carl was never in any danger. They would not kill of him because it's a TV show so the whole episode fell flat to me.

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By batsymyplaything

@allstarsuperman: no, it was the blurry close up shot focus that made it look like he was twitching, but wasn't. He is dead. Plus, I don't think it would be productive to bring him back and the writer from this season is orientating himself more towards the comic series guideline than his previous predecessors

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batsymyplaything: I watched it twice, I am pretty sure his eye is twitching/about to open. And killing off the Governor was a mistake in the comics, I don't think he is surely dead.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh said:

@allstarsuperman said:

Yawn

Michonne is cool though.

I saw it, his eye twitched then the camera went to michonne. I think he is alive.

I'm 99% sure he's dead. I rewatched that part several time, and he barely moved. You are looking too much into it. Even if he was alive, the zombies would have gotten him while he was laying in the ground.

batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Oh come on, the new guy is awesome. I think he beats The Governor by a mile just with his charisma.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Oh come on, the new guy is awesome. I think he beats The Governor by a mile just with his charisma.

F NO! Negan is okay, but Governor was much much better.

I'm 99% sure he's dead. I rewatched that part several time, and he barely moved. You are looking too much into it. Even if he was alive, the zombies would have gotten him while he was laying in the ground.

ehh, just like how that 1 zombie should have got Carl? its all plot. I truly hope he is not dead. I hope he lives but doesnt return on screen for quite some time. If he is dead then a Zombie Governor should bite Ricks hand, so technically Governor is still the one to take his hand.

@rogueshadow your thoughts on the episode?

batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By batsymyplaything

@allstarsuperman: Lol. Like how you used his favorite word's abbreviation to disagree of not liking him over The Governor.

As for him in the show, he has a bullet hole in his temple. So, he won't be gnawing on Rick's hand. Sorry, lol.

No Caption Provided

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Lol. Like how you used his favorite word's abbreviation to disagree of not liking him over The Governor.

I did that on purpose. lol

As for him in the show, he has a bullet hole in his temple. So, he won't be gnawing on Rick's hand. Sorry, lol.

No Caption Provided

Dammit! I never saw the giant hole in his skull!

IronAngel89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IronAngel89

Sometimes, slow is better. I'll be honest, Season 2 was probably my favorite season.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I don't even like Carl in the comic :- \

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By danhimself

@jonny_anonymous: SAY WHAT!!!??? I can agree that he's not that great on the show but he's my favorite character in the book

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rogueshadow  Moderator

@allstarsuperman: I think I might start doing a blog for this. Not sure. I'll tag you if I do.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@danhimself: if been hoping since like the second arc that he'd get eaten

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did no one read the comic? A lot of the comments on here sound like you haven't. This episode follows the ninth(? I think) chapter very closely. Of course, some stuff was added but this one was fairly good about following the original story. I personally was a little disappointed. I thought it was a little anti-climactic but then again, so was the ninth chapter. I'm just waiting for them to find Abraham (I like the actor I'm pretty sure it is).

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_stegman  Moderator

I hate Neagan, he's just a foul mouthed version of the Governor.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I really want Carl to die. It probably won't happen, but I'd cheer if it did. I hate that kid.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jedixman said:

I really want Carl to die. It probably won't happen, but I'd cheer if it did. I hate that kid.

Well, it's possible we'll see him get shot in the face this season.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@k4tzm4n said:

@jedixman said:

Yeah, yeah, I know...

batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By batsymyplaything

@the_stegman: Do you know how hard it is to create such foul riddled mouth of his, i mean I think he created whole new art genre, lol. Plus, I like his way of thinking compared to The Governor, which was kill kill kill and rape.

@k4tzm4n said:

@jedixman said:

Oh man, don't reminder me. Had to pop couple of Xanax after seeing that in the comic series.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By viin

A little slow but I guess you will have that. All of Michonne's sword slicing was probably the best part. Theyve really done a great job this season on that as well as giving Michonne more sword/zombie time.

The Walking Dead has also been on a kick the last year about making slow episodes and showing scenes that really are not that important and dont need to be shown. The only scene I had a problem with in this episode was Michonnes dream..for some reason I got a weird Resident Evil feeling and the acting was not as good as other scenes that Michonne did. I also think Rick's acting is slipping either that or hes just overacting way to much.

CAAARRRLLL!!!!!

Oh and that overhead shot from the opening scene with the tank was a great callback to the first episode(s).

MaximumGeyser5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MaximumGeyser5

This killed me.

No Caption Provided

that door did what Rick should have

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wooden doors beat aliens and kids.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the_stegman  Moderator
Avatar image for ssjdarthplagueis
SSJDarthPlagueis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This killed me.

No Caption Provided

Door: 1 Carl: 0

No Caption Provided

You wont believe how satisfied I was when I saw this. But I wanted something more gruesome for his death.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh said:

This killed me.

No Caption Provided

Door: 1 Carl: 0

@batsymyplaything said:

No Caption Provided

You wont believe how satisfied I was when I saw this. But I wanted something more gruesome for his death.

Door Vs Carl: Door Wins

Tank vs Daryl: Daryl Wins.

SlickyMike88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like these episodes with less characters , it's more focus and exciting to watch if you ask me.

shonen3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This killed me.

No Caption Provided

oh shit it started back ?

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I watched the parasite show "Talking Dead" (which comes on just after) and was astounded by the contrast between Michonne's anti-verbosity and Danai Gurira as a non-stop psuedo psychological/philosophical chatterbox.

Nicotero's Herschel head was cool until Chris Hardwick tried to feed it pudding. Seriously? Who comes up with these lame ideas which are clearly attempts to fill out an hour with only 15 minutes worth of material.

The episode was a little slow but important. Some of the acting was hard to watch (Chandler Riggs) but although I cringe a little whenever Carl appears (both page and screen) I think what he represents as the "new post-apocalyptic person" is interesting. Glimpses of this can also be seen with Carol's other little disciples and their new morality. Slight genre hints at Golding's Lord of the Flies.

One thing is for sure, if you did watch Danai Gurira wax eloquently on Talking Dead, at least in her mind, Michonne is a powerful new metaphor for our post-modern age. She certainly squeezes as much as is humanly possible from the character.

MaximumGeyser5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shonen3 said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

This killed me.

No Caption Provided

i know that door was ready

shonen3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By shonen3

@shonen3 said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

This killed me.

No Caption Provided

Imagine dying because of this. You try to act badass and knock through a door,only to fail and fall over. At which zombies chew u up

MaximumGeyser5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MaximumGeyser5

@shonen3 said:

@maximumgeyser5 said:

@shonen3 said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

This killed me.

No Caption Provided

Imagine dying because of this. You try to act badass and knock through a door,only to fail and fall over. At which zombies chew u up

exactly, that and the Door has better Durability and Disciplinary skills than Rick