The very first comic shop that you ever went to?

bluerosekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bluerosekiller

I swear that I saw a very similar threat posted here earlier this evening, but being brand new here, I somehow lost track of it while I was registering as a member & such... So, if you don't mind, I'm going to repost it & if you don't mind, I'd love to see all your replies again as well.

Mine?

It was this area's oldest & best known comics & collectibles store in my native city of Buffalo, NY, the Queen City Bookstore. Which has been around for almost as long as I have to the best of my knowledge.

I just turned fifty this past October & I've been a customer there since I first became a "serious" collector when I was 10 to 12 years old. Sure, there have been stores closer to me where I've lived over the years north of Buffalo in Lockport & North Tonawanda, but I've still maintained a long time business relationship with QCB since I've been just a wee lad. Though usually it's for back issues & some of the stuff I can't find elsewhere. For my weekly stash I go to my buddy George at Halley's Comics here in NT. It's just down the street from me here on Oliver where I live.

Jim

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#2  Edited By TheCannon

I was buying comics from the antique market Shupps Grove. But the first actual comic chop I went to was Cap's Comics.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#3  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

i also bought comics from many sources as a kid......your aveage gas station type store/convenience store had comic racks (anybody else remeber those?)..........but the first actual comic book store (which was like I had died and gone to heaven) was a place called Earth Prime Comics, in Burlington, VT. Every time I go back home to visit, i stop in for nostalgia sake, good times.

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By luckydomino1

newbury comics

SuperShafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SuperShafe

Beaverton Things From Another World. Went in September at the beginning of the new 52. Have been in at least once a month to pick up my copy of Action since then. I've also popped in for back issue sales and I've bought grab bags of back issues. I went in today for Action Comics number eight and some books I needed for school. That's right I needed books for school that I could buy at a comic book shop. I needed Batman : Dark Knight Returns (I think its overrated , Long Halloween and Dark Mirror are two Bat books that quickly come to mind as better but my teacher chose it) and Scott Mccloud's Understanding Comics which is our textbook. I keep going back to the same comic shop because it's close and I like the owner.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By fodigg

The generically named Comics & Cards in Lake Zurich, IL at the corner of Rand and Half Day Rd. The manager was a jerk, they had "this is not a library" and "no reading" signs all over the place, and it went under not long after (at least, that location did) to be replaced by a Kodak film shop. It was my personal example of what not to be when I later ran my shop.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mercy_
Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Atomic

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

Jackie's Book Store it was one of those places you'd never find if you didn't know where to look, stuck between a rinky dink church and a shop that sold cheesy nick nacks.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

An old school comic shop. Nothing but boxes stacked everywhere in a large room. None of that fancy stuff most folks get.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By MrMiracle77

A place called "Third Planet" in Houston, TX.

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Nudeviking

As a youth most of my stuff either came from the B. Dalton bookstore in the local mall, or a tiny, tiny comic book store that would randomly pop up in the same mall from time to time. When I got a license, I started going to Earthworld Comics in Albany. Now that I don't live in America any more I have to get most of my stuff via Comixology or off Amazon...it makes me sad.