The Type of Archery Comic Writers Should Use

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Ever since seeing a different video with this same archer I've wondered why I've never seen a comic book writer think of using this, and I'm guessing it's just that they've never heard of it

What do you think?

Primez0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

That's pretty cool

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That guy is freaky good, although I shudder to think of the time spent training to that level.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who would have thought cw arrows skills are sub par compared to this guy........

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guns.

Primez0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7 said:

Guns are for wimps

Finished it for you :)

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Primez0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they don't know about it. The video itself explains that for the last hundred years or so these methods of archery have been lost. Once guns became to go to form of ranged combat and hunting we stopped using bows and arrows, and so forgot how to use them to their highest potential.

Comic writers, not being historians or well versed in Medieval combat, wouldn't be aware that there are older, better methods of firing arrows than what they've seen professional archers of today's sport use.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor: that's basically what I meant when I said "I'm guessing it's just that they've never heard of it"

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FearTheLiving

@mrnoital: *&*&ING AMAZING! Can the archery community stop giving Hawkeye so much **** from Avengers now? No but seriously that's pretty awesome.

I'd love to see this adapted on the page.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primez0ne: Guile isn't real.. that goes with his opinion too lol.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That vid is awesome.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By ImpurestCheese

< Sigh> Why did I have to be a markswoman and use a handbow for work. Actually I'm certain an arrow would be harder to use then a bolt in this circumstance so maybe it's for the best

MonkeyStarship

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: I can tell you right now, coming from someone who as shot archery their whole life and studied it. this archery was used for show/stunted archery. The book that is quoted in the video is under the show/stunted part. This archery wasn't used for warfare because for this technique you have to use a very low draw weight ( 20-35 pound draw ) which wouldn't be good for combat. Archery warfare was nothing like this video it was simply used for show.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonkeyStarship

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: yeah it went through the chain mail but that's probably as far as it got.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

That's amazing

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeystarship: I think you might need some actual experience in this style before you can talk about it's efficiency, instead of just reading something in a book

MonkeyStarship

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: I've been shooting archery for close to 10 years I think I have experience. I'll say it is amazing how fast he is he's very good that what he does. but thats not good for combat , with a low draw weight like he his using it won't go through chain mail and far enough into the person to be lethal. also he is using a half draw most of the time so the bow isn't shooting with its full power

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeystarship: the problem is your making claims you can't know, you have no idea what his draw strength is or how far the arrow went in, it's definitely lethal and would most likely be lethal to people wearing leather armor which was actually more common, and like I said you'd need experience in this stylebefore you speak about it

MonkeyStarship

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MonkeyStarship
sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sinikettu

Yeah I posted that link here some two weeks ago. The Danish guy: Andersen has said in an interview that he has spent about 10 years and counting in practising his skills.

So its really not that infeasible for a comic book archer like Hawkeye or Green arrow to posses such level of skill, but we all know that the real extent of fictive characters abilities are the writers limits of imagination... So maybe they eventually will show this level of skill?

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: I can tell you right now, coming from someone who as shot archery their whole life and studied it. this archery was used for show/stunted archery. The book that is quoted in the video is under the show/stunted part. This archery wasn't used for warfare because for this technique you have to use a very low draw weight ( 20-35 pound draw ) which wouldn't be good for combat. Archery warfare was nothing like this video it was simply used for show.

Well most hunting bows in museums are in fact between 30-50 pounds of draw weight because you don't need stronger bow (and making a one above 60 from wood, bone & sinew isn't that easy) except when using the bow for war where higher strength is useful for greater range. it's a hollywoodism to think that archers would pick their targets at the field like modern snipers. The normal method was to shoot volleys of arrows behind strengthened positions or from horseback/war chariot to avoid being slaughtered by the enemy foot & cavalry forces.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: @monkeystarship stated he has a decade of experience. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. As it stands, with my layman's knowledge, I too think he is going more for speed then strength in most shots and I'd question the draw weight as well.

That being said, it's amazing/amusing as all getout to watch.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it doesn't look as cool as the archery we see in TV and Movies.

MonkeyStarship

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MonkeyStarship
Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeystarship: @risingbean: you do realize that having experience in one style has no relation to your skill or knowledge of another style

that's like saying you have a decades experience in fencing, and you read a book about sword fighting, so you know all about kenjutsu

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: However with that said, I know that draw weight affects archery on the whole. It's physics. Potential energy from drawing the bowstring is turned into kinetic energy when the string is released and the arrow is fired.

Pulling the string halfway gives you half as much potential, and thus kinetic energy. If you really want to put an arrow through something, having a heavy weight and pulling the string all the way back is the way to go.

And since, I'm a better fist fighter then archer, I'll use an example I'm better with.

If I jab you in the face three times fast, it may hurt some. However if I draw my arm back, torque my hips when I throw my punch and put my weight into it, I'm going to put out a lot more power with that one punch then the jabs.

Its the same concept. The guy in the video is "jabbing" with his half cocked shooting style. He isn't putting all the energy into the bow that he can, and I'm doubtful that he could be terribly effective against most old style armor at any reasonable distance.

Joe_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mrnoital

@risingbean: the most common old style of armor was leather, and this video proved it can go through chain mail

and you might want to watch closer, he pushes forward with his bow arm while drawing back with his arrow arm, and it ends up at almost the same as a full draw

this was where he shot the pop can tab
this was where he shot the pop can tab

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: I don't know. I watched the video again and it seems like in most shots he doing half draws. As for the shots through the chain mail, It doesn't show his distance from the target nor how he drew. I'm going to take things with a grain of salt until which time I get firsthand visuals or see something that is a bit more scientific.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: you should also take claims made over the internet with a grain of salt

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: You forgot the mass and backlash from the bows arms which also affect the bow's 'performance' during shooting.

The bow used looks to be a Hungarian type horn bow which were fairly typical among nomadic steppe people of ancient such as Turks, Tatars, Bashkir, Hungarians, Alans and later the Arabs/Saracens. They usually had the draw weight of about 50-60 and used light and fairly short arrows though modern synthetic horn versions are probably about 60-70.

Also, ancient horse archers usually drew their bows against their chest not ear like you do with longer bows.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mrnoital

@risingbean: it's a shame there's nothing of substance there, only nitpicking at things he clearly exagerated

and couldn't even finish the first link, it discredited itself when it said he can't hit anything over 20 feet away (check the original video at 3:14) then said his gimmick is speed and not accuracy (check it at 1:58)

they didn't even watch the video they were trying to discredit