The term "overpowered"

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cameron83

I don't understand this term,why is it even used in forums?

It's one of the most double-standard,hypocritical terms that people (mainly people that can't accept others being more powerful than their favorite characters) use,what the heck does it even mean exactly?

What's the limit that puts a certain character in that category and why does it work for some characters but not others?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By PeppeyHare

I wonder the exact same things.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By joshmightbe

@cameron83: Its a term people use when they lack the imagination to see the possibilities present with a powerful character. Or to whine when their favorite character gets the s**t kicked out of them.

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I use it for characters who have more powers than they are supposed to (i.e. Flash).

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman

I can understand why people think that but I disagree some. There have been times where I thought they overpowered characters I liked. What it comes down too is a matter of preference on how you like a character and story told.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_red_viper  Moderator

I see this term as a way of describing invincible or nigh-invincible characters/items. That's why I get mad at people who say Superman is overpowered, because a multitude of other characters can beat him and have done so before.

Dr. Doom for example has defenses against anything you can or cannot think of, is a master of magic, can warp time, has a suit that gives him superhuman stats, and possesses two different IGs from two different universes. Calling HIM overpowered is concievable.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@cameron83: Its a term people use when they lack the imagination to see the possibilities present with a powerful character. Or to whine when their favorite character gets the s**t kicked out of them.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's the same as "overrated"...doesn't exist

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

There's certainly such a thing as overpowered, it's just used wrong... pretty much always. It rarely applies to comic books, though, because plot requires everyone lose at some point.

I would define OP as winning with ease every time in every scenario, with no risk of losing ever.

TOAA could face anyone in the Marvel Universe and win with ease every time in every scenario with no risk of losing ever and he is not over powered

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By danhimself

@mitran said:

@danhimself said:

@mitran said:

There's certainly such a thing as overpowered, it's just used wrong... pretty much always. It rarely applies to comic books, though, because plot requires everyone lose at some point.

I would define OP as winning with ease every time in every scenario, with no risk of losing ever.

TOAA could face anyone in the Marvel Universe and win with ease every time in every scenario with no risk of losing ever and he is not over powered

That's the point of his character. He's the highest of the highest tier, and nobody else is with him. Compare to say, Silver Surfer. Competently fighting anyone below his tier should be a quick and easy win for him due to diversity and scope of powers. He's OP in that case. However, at his level and above, he's no longer considered OP.

well then that's not really "overpowered" it's a mismatch....a good battle should be between two people who are so even in power levels that it's hard to pick a winner

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By w0nd

i consider someone who just can't lose over powered. When a universe blows up in your face and you shrug it off then you are over powered. It's assumed though the character fights threat levels in his range so it's fine, but when you have Hyperion, Hulk, and Thor on the same team, that right there is over powered.

it's like saying spider-man is overpowered when he fights thugs, well he is, but that's why they aren't his main story villains lol.

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of the most double-standard,hypocritical terms that people (mainly people that can't accept others being more powerful than their favorite characters) use,what the heck does it even mean exactly?

What's the limit that puts a certain character in that category and why does it work for some characters but not others?

And pretty much, you identified the main reason folks call other characters over powered: because their favorite character gets trumped by a more powerful character. I think some writers shy away from characters in the "heavy weight" class or who are otherwise immensely powerful, because they may feel they are just not believable. Some writers particularly prefer the street level characters for that very reason. But really, it takes all flavors to please different fans. I think writers imposing these limitations simply lack imagination.

In terms of its use, generally it is someone whining because their favorite character, as you mentioned, was simply out matched.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most people just use the word incorrectly. When a character has so many powers stacked on them that their allies can't compete, and only one villain is a threat, that is overpowered.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Havenless

@cameron83 said:

It's used to identify characters who's power set does not equate to their setting. The One Above All is omnipotent. However, he is established as the god of the Marvel Universe, so he is not overpowered. He should be omnipotent.

On the flipside. The Flash lives in a small apartment and has a day job that pays less than 60K a year. His villains include a man with a ray gun that shoots cold air, a man who can make reflections of himself, and a man who can make it rain. Now in this instance, what would you guess his powers would be? If you guessed that he could move at 8 times the speed of light, time travel, and change dimensions at will, you'd be right. But taking all of this into account, he lives a pretty unbelievable lifestyle for someone who can do this. He is too powerful to exert the proper drama that makes a comic interesting, ergo overpowered for his book. He's still fun, and there are great moments when Zoom and Gorilla Grodd come along... but then he goes back to his small apartment and his crummy job, and then Weather Wizard makes some fog.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a term which thrown a lot around by non comic book readers who only have knowledge about few Superheroes or when their favorite character have no way to win against another character. ...For example - for all those people who have only seen those old Superman movies always label him overpowered because they seen him doing that silver age stuff & facing only Lex luthor who also they never got right.....its not Superman's fault that movies can't get him right or didn't show him facing threat of his level or you haven't read his post crisis comics or don't have knowledge abt him or don't know there are lot & lot more powerful characters like Silver Surfer , Mr Majestic , Thanos , Franklin Richards.
Another thing that surprises me directors like Nolan & Joss Whedon also saying Superman is like a "God" , "Removed from humanity", "Unrelatable character" when this kind of ignorant statement comes from these acclaimed directors it certainly doesn't help in clearing people misconception over Superman being overpowered. Well i just can Hope more people will pick Superman comics up & future Mos sequels will show him facing off more threats of his level like Brainiac , Darkseid , Hank Henkshaw , Doomsday etc.