The Stereotype is false.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By acer51

Let's face it the stereotype for someone who reads comics is an either obese or scarecrow skinny little nerd who wears coke bottle glasses bookworm who gets wedgies at school and is socially outcast. In my experience that's really not true. Not that I have anything against classic Parker style bookworms but I've noticed that people who enjoy comics at least in modern times don't tend towards that stereotype.

Out of people I've known without telling you anything that would violate their privacy.

A Jock. Seriously nothing nerdy about this guy at all and good in a fight too but can talk shop about comics all day long.

A Skater. Last person I would ever suspect to know anything about superheros but in the middle of a philosophical argument he'll be like "...it's just like in issue # 144 of Incredible Hulk where Banner says that thing about how...

A Smart girl. Yea sure she's smart and likes books but you could know her for months and not realize she can go into detail about the clone saga(spider-man clone saga not SW clone saga).

And those are the three biggest comic fans I know.

So I want to ask is this an isolated perspective or do the majority of comic book fans seem to be hidden comic book fans? Some of the comic book fans I know do fit the stereotype but the majority of them are just regular people who almost-secretly like comics.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Well I don't fit into the category of obese, or skinny nerd. Reading comics is a hobby of mine, but not my only one, I love to do outdoor activities. I love reading and learning new things, but I'm not a nerd.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I saw a guy who looked like a hardcore body builder walk out of my LCS whith a stack of comics once....

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Pokeysteve

I'm not that stereotype either. I just sold my Harley lol. Going to the same comic shop for 2-3 years though, yeah, that stereotype is a stereotype for a reason!

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Yeah, I don't think I look like a nerd either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 looks like a stereotypical nerd for sure, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never seen a stereotypical comic book lover before actually. All I've seen are normal looking people and some pretty big, professional looking guys in my comics shop.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Wolverine008
Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

*puts pens in my pocket*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Blade_R

Yeah I agree this stereotype isn't always true. Most of my friends, my past and current gf were really surprised when they found out I was into comics, manga/anime video games etc. people find it odd that im into that kind of stuff because I don't fit the stereotypical descriptions of someone who does like that stuff.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work out as much as I can, party (not as much) and a host of everything. Uh, just a stereotype nothing more. Which is something that angers me about Big Bang. The character Stewart owns a shop and is poor and a virgin. Man the guy I buy comics from, when I can, drives a Corvette and has a hot ass wife.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I met a chick at college who didn't seem into superheroe's at all but then suddenly went off on a tangent about one and I was like, hmmm.