RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz
No Caption Provided

Something occurred to me this past weekend that I had never thought of before. I was away from the internet and thus I was catching up on some reviews and some other comic reading. In an issue from some 1960s era romance comic there was a woman that was pulling her nylons up her legs. This is a fairly common image among women, as it has become famous in other movies such as the Graduate and Pretty Woman. Without going too far into details, the nylons or pantyhose go to the same place essentially that a man fantasizing of sex would want to go. The process is therefore charged with sexuality, at least as an image in popular culture. Fast forward about 40 years of comic history and Supergirl was doing the same in a recent issue of her own series, albeit with her knee high socks (which I had assumed were boots previously). It does seem to be a bit of a double standard when the usual image is applied to superheroes, because the majority of superheroes wear tights or something to that degree. We never get to see Dick Grayson of Gambit seductively pulling on his uniform, but it is still a common enough image among female characters. I am not naive enough it think that this will ever change, but it is always nonetheless interesting for me to point out the differences in the medium as between male and female readers.

No Caption Provided
Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jorgevy

It's not as attractive when a man does it. Trust me

PS: THOSE ARE SOCKS???? I thought they were boots! Need to pay more attention to the images than to the speech bubbles

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheCrowbar

Ummm how else would you put on those boots?

As to the "Never seen Nightwing do it" you also never see Nightwing viciously beat Batman over a misunderstanding. Supergirl is a horrifically bad character.

I also think you're reading WAY too much into the "male mind" I have NEVER looked at a woman putting a sock on and thought "Damn now that's hot," in anyway shape or form.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RazzaTazz
@Jorgevy: No doubt, it is just interesting that only women have to put on their clothes for others to see on panel.   

@TheCrowbar: I am not saying that men fantasize over watching women put on pantyhose, but say if a woman did it in a crowded train station, a lot of men would stop for a look.  
Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jorgevy

@TheCrowbar said:

I also think you're reading WAY too much into the "male mind" I have NEVER looked at a woman putting a sock on and thought "Damn now that's hot," in anyway shape or form.

I have. Also, what's the problem with Supergirl? are you talking about her beating up Supes in a recent issue?

@RazzaTazz: because of that I just remembered Thor in his movie when he is pulling his pants up. It's the male equivalent, putting pants up (or puttin on a tight sleeveless shirt)

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By umbrafeline

@RazzaTazz: not only would men stop, but i bet a percentage of women will stop too, just to hit their husbands/boyfriends for looking lol

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Jotham

Those are definitely boots.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheCrowbar

@RazzaTazz:

Well to put on pantyhose though you need to reveal more than a normal sock. The equivalent would be a man putting pants on.

@Jorgevy:

Every iteration of her is belligerent and insane for no good reason.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jorgevy

@TheCrowbar: well, she has just arrive at an unknown world and in the 1st 5 minutes a bunch of robots attack her and a maniac kidnaped her. I think she has pretty good motives to distrust most humans for now. Specially when Superman was acting insane, almost killing people and Superboy told her he was a clone (she has a slight phobia of clones) and a super weapon

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Jorgevy:

I read the first arc, Superman wasn't acting insane. He was explaining himself and she attacked him. And right before the reboot we had "Dark Supergirl" I could go on. No really I could. I want this character killed off, she's useless.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TheCrowbar: I know a thing or two about putting on pantyhose, I just chose the word sock in the title because of the alliteration, maybe that i confsuing but I talk about pantyhose throughout.   

@Jotham: She puts her boots on like I put on knee high socks though.  I am sure the bottom of the foot is quite sturdy.  
TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheCrowbar

@RazzaTazz:

Ahh then I stand corrected on that, but again still sexualization of characters in comics isn't anything really new or specific to females. If you like I could find you the collage of Nightwing's ass.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jorgevy

@TheCrowbar: wasn't acting insane? he threw a person of a roof!

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Jorgevy said:

@TheCrowbar: wasn't acting insane? he threw a person of a roof!

In Supergirl or in Action Comics? When she meets Superman for the first time, he tries to talk to her.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jotham

@RazzaTazz: Actually, that's pretty much the way I put on socks too. Although it looks more manly when I do it.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TheCrowbar: No doubt but Nightwing is an exception.  There are pictures of him for sure, but how many more of female characters?  I wasn't trying to overthrow the comics industry here, I was just making an observation, half expecting no one to read or comment on it.  
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RazzaTazz
@Jotham: Fair enough, only they don't usually show men putting on socks in a seductive way.  
TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheCrowbar

@RazzaTazz said:

@TheCrowbar: No doubt but Nightwing is an exception. There are pictures of him for sure, but how many more of female characters? I wasn't trying to overthrow the comics industry here, I was just making an observation, half expecting no one to read or comment on it.

How many times did Superman go half naked(from explosions and such) in comics during the 90's?

Batman's recent stint in the Catwoman comic.

Namor...in general.

The overly tight spandex men wore in the 80's forward.

Sexualization is actually rather equally applied in women and men.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jorgevy

@TheCrowbar: oh yeah I was confusing with the other incident. but still. my interpretation

No Caption Provided

as you can see, he does try to calm her down but he barely knows who she is.

I mean, if a super powered stranger appear out of nowhere claiming to be your cousin on an alien world 5 minutes after you being attack when he was supposed to be 1 year old 2 days ago, Id probably think it's a trap

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TheCrowbar: There is certainly some sexualization, my point was more so that things like a revealing costume or having that costume blown off are passive activities, whereas when a female character seductively rolls up her tights, it is an active decision.  
TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Jorgevy:

Thinking it's a trap and attacking someone are two different things. Neither his actions or postures are offensive.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Deranged Midget

Seductive? The image has to be very specific but even in that case it's not that eye-catching to me.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheCrowbar

@RazzaTazz said:

@TheCrowbar: There is certainly some sexualization, my point was more so that things like a revealing costume or having that costume blown off are passive activities, whereas when a female character seductively rolls up her tights, it is an active decision.

How else would those be put on though?

When I put on my rubber pants(Shut up) for river fishing it's a very similar pose.

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MenaceForever2

Why don I find that attractive...........like at all.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ratman19

i dont like how they draw supergirl, her face looks weird

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jorgevy

@TheCrowbar: she thought it was some kind of dream, or an alien world, and he was very supernatural. I dont blame her. Also, he has a somewhat threatning posture when he appears flying above, but that could be just me

@RazzaTazz said:

I think I remember seeing somewhere a hero dress his costume in a seductively manner... But I agree, it happens more with women than with man. But I think it's because men are almost always dressed in a way they can quickly get costumed but women aren't

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TheCrowbar: Its jut that they don't show the same action for male characters, though comics would be one of the few places where it would be something actually relevant (other than some fishing magazine I guess)
TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheCrowbar
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TheCrowbar: I am sure there are some there, it doesn't change the fact that there is a passive sexualization and an active one.  
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@menaceforever said:

You were reared in a generation without the oppression of socks. It takes others years to become orphaned to the illusory, that the shin is the most attractive part of a woman.
TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheCrowbar

@RazzaTazz: I think it being active or passive is irrelevant being someone has to draw them in that pose. Either way sexualization still happened.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jorgevy

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@menaceforever said:
You were reared in a generation without the oppression of socks. It takes others years to become orphaned to the illusory, that the shin is the most attractive part of a woman.

I just find most parts of a woman's body attractive. Nº1 being legs, so I guess stocks/stockings have that effect, but I can vouche it's not something common amongst this newest generation

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By dernman

Points to the issue where you see Gambit's naked butt in the shower and him casually walking out to his closet in the other room..

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jorgevy: In other words, sexuality is transforming. It's not hard to imagine given that the women in my family work in construction.
Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jorgevy

@sesquipedalophobe: really?!? that's unheard and awesome!

@ratman19 said:

i dont like how they draw supergirl, her face looks weird

I like it :D Id totally help her out with her stockings

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jorgevy: It's becoming pretty common for women to work construction, actually. It's just a matter of surviving the few, those being the chauvinists. My sister once told me, "It's considerably more difficult for me to take a desk job than it is to do what I do. Makeup, staying quiet, keeping pretty. In construction, I can be just as good as the men and I don't have to work so hard for it."
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RazzaTazz
@Renchamp: I had to think about how to write that part ;)
Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jorgevy

@sesquipedalophobe: that's incredible awesome! Kudos to your family!

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jotham

@RazzaTazz said:

@Jotham: Fair enough, only they don't usually show men putting on socks in a seductive way.

Frankly, I think it's more intimate than seductive. Maybe they feel readers need a more in depth relationship with the character than you would get just watching them in action. I don't know, otherwise it's just another case of female characters being treated differently than male characters.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By No_Name_

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@menaceforever said:

This. So much.

shadowpdf1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shadowpdf1

Stems. Pins. Gams. The female leg has been the object of male affection and attention for millennia. The male leg, however, has not been such a singular object of attraction with women. Men and women focus on different features (physical, material, and personality). I cannot speak for women, but I believe that the female leg (as well as the well-turned ankle) has received such attention over the years because until fairly recently those limbs were well hidden beneath folds (often many folds) of cloth. What you can't see you fantasize about.

That particular pose you mention is specific to motion pictures and was carried into print in magazine photographs and in comics. It didn't originate in print. And you're right that it is sexually charged, but not always. Sometimes (like in your Supergirl example) it's just a pretty way to draw a girl.

And you forget one important, very historical use of the image of a male donning clothing in comics:

No Caption Provided
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RazzaTazz
@shadowpdf1: I agree completely with you, it is just that one of the few places where the image might be used for males is in comics, and it is not used there.  
VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By VyseCarma
No Caption Provided

So hard at the Nightwing comment

tdrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tdrake

I'd definitely be up for more male characters pulling on (or taking off) tights lol

There's a pretty funny blog that collects a lot of sexy male scenes actually:

http://shirtless-superheroes.blogspot.com/

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By Zdaybreak

@TheCrowbar: @TheCrowbar said:

@RazzaTazz said:

@TheCrowbar: No doubt but Nightwing is an exception. There are pictures of him for sure, but how many more of female characters? I wasn't trying to overthrow the comics industry here, I was just making an observation, half expecting no one to read or comment on it.

How many times did Superman go half naked(from explosions and such) in comics during the 90's?

Namor...in general.

But there are more scenes of women showering, dressing, and so on.

Sexualization happens to both men and women, yes, but more so often to women. Quit denying the truth.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Shotgun said:

@TheCrowbar: @TheCrowbar said:

@RazzaTazz said:

Namor...in general.

But there are more scenes of women showering, dressing, and so on.

Sexualization happens to both men and women, yes, but more so often to women. Quit denying the truth.

Sorry that's patently untrue. When men are wearing what might as well be a painted on costume with little speedos more often than not, to say "It happens more often to women" is remarkably blind.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DocFatalis

@TheCrowbar said:

@Jorgevy:

I read the first arc, Superman wasn't acting insane. He was explaining himself and she attacked him. And right before the reboot we had "Dark Supergirl" I could go on. No really I could. I want this character killed off, she's useless.

I totally agree with this statement. When you get a female rip-off of a hero to start with it usually is a bad omen.

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CapFanboy

@menaceforever said:

Cause it's not real.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By cyberninja

Awesome thread, and yet again I don't know what we men did but on behalf of all men I would like to say "we're truly sorry."  I can't wait for your next thread so I can apologize yet again.  This is fun. 

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RazzaTazz
@cyberninja: On behalf of my kind I graciously accept your apology.  It seems as though we misjudged you, things are gonna change for the better now.