The Sad State of Comics Piracy—It's Worse Than You Think

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

@socmalig said:

@deathstroke52: what can you suggest/recommend that I will do? :)

I don't know.

Get a job? Look for discounts?

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I am going to say, I am completely against piracy. People aren't making this content out of fun. It's their job. They are trying to feed their families and pay their bills off this. While you have a few people making money hands over fists in movies and music, the vast majority involved are working long hours for not such a great pay. And when it comes to books, comics, and magazines, there maybe a board of directors somewhere making good money, but a lot of others are living paycheck to paycheck.

That said, any piracy argument has one major flaw. Taking away the 'free' copies doesn't mean that the pirate will start paying. Many would rather just do without. As comics prices continue to rise, new readership declines. Yes, the paper is higher quality. Yes, the printing is better. Yes, the colors are crisper. No, a 10 year old with $5 to spend isn't going to care all that much.

socmalig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger: If you don't mind me asking, what advantage would readers have if they buy instead of downloading comics illegally? Isn't that both sides just obtain the same material? The only difference to the reader is that he would lose money of he didn't pirate the comic book.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat necro

Also, reading online for freeeee is better than pirating or buying digital copies!

:D

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#355  Edited By Mandarinestro

IP laws are pretty dumb IMO. Piracy IIRC is to make copies of someone's work and sell them as if they're yours.

Torrenting is just as evil as lending someone your DVD or your novel. People who seed torrents also do not claim ownership over the works of comic book authors.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever looked into online manga? I think it's way worse.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd never do such a thing.

No Caption Provided

socmalig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you think people who cannot afford to buy comics don't have the right to acquire and read comics?

mrGoodbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only tend to pirate when it's not available for purchase

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@damacguy said:

When I first started collecting comics in the 70's I just piled my comics in the corner. I quickly started bagging and boxing them. By the time I started college, like many comic readers/collectors, I had several (almost 20) long boxes of comics. While they stayed at home through college I had to start lugging them around with me afterwards. Eventually they succumbed to a natural disaster and were mostly destroyed.

Now that I'm older I have more disposable income. I'm more than happy to pay for my comics - but I want them digital for all the obvious benefits. I don't have to worry about transporting or losing them again. I want to be able to make a copy of them that I can backup. I don't want to lease them - if I stop my subscription I want to keep what I've read. I don't want what I've paid for to suddenly disappear if I need to download it again at a later date because the publisher lost the rights to it, or doesn't sell it anymore. I want to read my comics where and when I want, on the device I want. I still enjoy paper comics, but I can't bring myself to trash them, and the resale value isn't like it was in the old days. I'm not going to get trapped into the bagging and boxing addition again. Oh no. *grin*

So, since I'm mostly a DC guy, I'll gladly start buying the digital downloads in September. But if they don't meet most of my criteria then I'm going to look into the pirated copies on-line while I happily continue to pay for the official digital versions that I may not even use. I want the publishers to profit, but I want my convenience.

The comic industry is finally realizing what the Movie industry, TV industry, Music industry, and even the newspaper industry, all to different degrees, have already learned. If you don't provide your product in a format acceptable to consumers, consumers will find a way to get your product in the format they want. Or consumers won't bother with your product at all.

It's nice to see that they're at least trying.

Now, if we can get kids to stop playing computers games all day. maybe they'll buy more comics. ;-)

Old post, but dead on. I pay for support, but many issues of things I like are not in print, or in digital format even. I get my shit how I can and pay for it later, but I am owning my own hard copy on my various drives.

ChomP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@socmalig said:

Do you think people who cannot afford to buy comics don't have the right to acquire and read comics?

YES..

i cant afford a yacht, does that mean i should go steal one..

i want a penthouse suite to stay at but dont want to pay..

i cant afford a 42 bedroom house il;l just move in and not pay..

you DON'T have the RIGHT to to acquire an object for free that comes at a cost..

this is a WANT not a NEED, its a luxury if you cant afford it's too bad TBH..

it's people these days the feel the are entitled to everything. wake up call YOU ARE NOT.....

i'm not saying no to DL and purchase later, as this is what a lot of people do. but those that don't pay are only hurting the industry and when it folds as NO ONE will pay and no longer financially viable, there will be another entitled outrage 'how did this happen'.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Some comics I simply cannot find, I scour the internet and even try to buy off amazon, which i was successful with once, and when it arrived it was in freaking spanish lol!

so if it's impossible to find I try to read online unfortunately. it sucks, but if I can't find the content i will read it some way shape or form.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@chomp said:
@socmalig said:

YES..

i cant afford a yacht, does that mean i should go steal one..

i want a penthouse suite to stay at but dont want to pay..

i cant afford a 42 bedroom house il;l just move in and not pay..

you DON'T have the RIGHT to to acquire an object for free that comes at a cost..

this is a WANT not a NEED, its a luxury if you cant afford it's too bad TBH..

it's people these days the feel the are entitled to everything. wake up call YOU ARE NOT.....

i'm not saying no to DL and purchase later, as this is what a lot of people do. but those that don't pay are only hurting the industry and when it folds as NO ONE will pay and no longer financially viable, there will be another entitled outrage 'how did this happen'.

ChomP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i agree, sometimes there is no other choice. it's the one's who don't look for any other avenue to to purchase the item and no intention of doing so, they EXPECT it for free that really gets under my skin.

@w0nd said:

@sirfizzwhizz: Some comics I simply cannot find, I scour the internet and even try to buy off amazon, which i was successful with once, and when it arrived it was in freaking spanish lol!

so if it's impossible to find I try to read online unfortunately. it sucks, but if I can't find the content i will read it some way shape or form.

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love comics, so I always pay just to show support to my favorite books. It's a small fanbase, so they need all the support they can get.

Being honest, pirating is so easy that if I couldn't afford comics, I would probably do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Marvel and DC comics have been dogshit for decades. There's no way I'm shelling out $4 an issue for that garbagio. Even the decent stuff from publishers like Image, Oni Press and Dark Horse is overpriced.

IMO the only bang for your buck comics are coming from Fantagraphics and Drawn & Quarterly.

KwasiD2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By KwasiD2k

It's dumb to DL comics when they're as easily accessible as manga.

erikarlsson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

Marvel and DC comics have been dogshit for decades. There's no way I'm shelling out $4 an issue for that garbagio. Even the decent stuff from publishers like Image, Oni Press and Dark Horse is overpriced.

IMO the only bang for your buck comics are coming from Fantagraphics and Drawn & Quarterly.

Agreed, comics are so overpriced. A couple of bucks for less than 20 pages.