The Rise to Stardom!

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are big leagues (Spider-man Superman Batman Spawn)

There are little leagues (Moon Knight Bat Girl Taskmaster)

This is all in terms of popularity to the comic book reader.

Which character do you think is rising to the big leagues in terms of popularity the fastest?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Ben 10

Winter Soldier now I guess

Pretty much any marvel movie character to be honest

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rocket Raccoon....evidence is plastered everywhere.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Ben 10? really? I never really noticed, I personally thought his hype calmed down after his original show, then again you probably no a lot more about ben 10 then I do lol :)

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rocket Raccoon....evidence is plastered everywhere.

TRUE

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@proto3296: nah man. In 5 years he when from a nobody to a huge toy seller and a house hold name. He even has a actual movie in development as well.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Carol Danvers, Rocket Racoon, and the hype for Kamala Khan was/is ridiculous.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Spawn's a big leaguer???

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bierschneeman: He's the most successful non marvel or DC comic. To me personally he's a big leaguer.

I'm surprised no one has said deadpool I feel like he got so popular out of no where.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bierschneeman: He's the most successful non marvel or DC comic. To me personally he's a big leaguer.

I'm surprised no one has said deadpool I feel like he got so popular out of no where.

certainly not.

the most successful would probably be the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with their third film series on their way, half a dozen tv series, a long running comic series and although Spawn may have had promo spots with taco bell when their movie came out. TMNT had a long running cross promotion with Pizza Hut tha lasted much longer than the promotion for the movie.

beyond that more successful non dc marvel comics or at least more widely known, Spirit, Sin City, Hellboy, (who printed Sandman? I had several non-comic reading coworkers suggest I read the book, or at least Neil Gaimen's American Gods) Walking Dead, Judge Dread...maybe crow, certainly more popular, not necessarily more successful.

I was avidly following comic based movies tv series and everyonce in a while a random comic (trial and error) throughout the mid-80s and on, I thought their wasn't a tv spot or movie I hadn't seen that was comic based (ever seen Generation X...so good, Nick Fury Agent of Shield? so bad) I was shocked when all the sudden I was asking "who the % is Spawn?" in 2005 only to find out a movie and a series were made, (both of which almost flopped but thats beside the point)

I still find that most people may have never heard of spawn, but really liked any of the ones I listed. Spawn could be a big leaguer, but I think all the Indie comics I listed, and HUNDREDS of Marvel and DC Characters would be big leaguers long before Spawn...

(The Tick probably more mainstream, but not a better selling comic.)

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bierschneeman: I'm not saying he sells best. I'm basing it off popularity. Until maybe 2011 I didn't even know tmnt was a comic as well as tv show/movie. Rather by the time i was 6 I knew who spawn was and owned 3 of his video games. I think it's ign who rates him in their top 100 super Heros. He's the only non marvel or cd character in the top 20 IIRC

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By proto3296

@bierschneeman: I did not recall right lol he ranked 36 on igns top 100 super Heros list

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bierschneeman

@proto3296 said:

@bierschneeman: I'm not saying he sells best. I'm basing it off popularity. Until maybe 2011 I didn't even know tmnt was a comic as well as tv show/movie. Rather by the time i was 6 I knew who spawn was and owned 3 of his video games. I think it's ign who rates him in their top 100 super Heros. He's the only non marvel or cd character in the top 20 IIRC

ahh so we have here is the difference of age, if you were six when you had 3 Video Games (1999 was the year of his third Video Game) than you are barely 20 now, I have a few decades on you as well you missed completely the big cultural influence TMNT had on the early ninties, you could even step into a pizza Hut without seeing them everywhere for at least two years, plus of course their presence riddled everywhere else. also IGNs list has Raphael from TMNT much higher than spawn. plus a few others I mentioned. (crow on 37) Preacher Judge Dredd both ahead et cetera.

my point is not to denegrate Spawn, but to express that in order for Spawn to be a Big Leaguer, there is probably a list of hundreds of characters ahead of him. indeed most Indie comic characters would be like that.

you said it aptly before. IMHO

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bierschneeman: 2002 I turned 6 I'm only 18. But yeah I understand where you're coming from.