The rise of DC

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So we all know DC has been struggling overall as a company the last 12 years......but as of lately it seems like DC is rising back from the pit again. Right now DC has conquering TV, animation and gaming; and with them going full steam ahead with their movies, is it a matter of time till DC conquers movies, or is that asking a bit too much?

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I think that your post in general is asking for a lot, especially the statements that DC has conquered TV, animation and gaming. While Arrow is solid and there are several DC properties lined up to be TV shows, only Arrow is currently out so it's foolish to award them the trophy when most of the shows haven't come out yet, not to mention there are plenty of Marvel properties lined up on Netflix (which is a trend now) and they have AOS (which I think Arrow is better but AOS isn't bad). Animation is a wash because there have been some great Marvel animated shows over the past few years just as much as DC and I haven't been impressed with DC's latest offerings regarding direct to DVD films since Bruce Timm left. While DC does feature the Arkham series for gaming, it's not as though Marvel does nothing in that area, Marvel has been doing more on the mobile gaming market and unlike consoles, the mobile market is growing. Finally, while it's great that the DCCU is starting to take shape under WB, only one has come out and the reactions were mixed.

Is it possible DC ends up winning in all of those areas mention, sure but it's premature, especially when you consider that what Marvel is putting their resources in (streaming shows and mobile gaming) might end up being the future.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that your post in general is asking for a lot, especially the statements that DC has conquered TV, animation and gaming. While Arrow is solid and there are several DC properties lined up to be TV shows, only Arrow is currently out so it's foolish to award them the trophy when most of the shows haven't come out yet, not to mention there are plenty of Marvel properties lined up on Netflix (which is a trend now) and they have AOS (which I think Arrow is better but AOS isn't bad). Animation is a wash because there have been some great Marvel animated shows over the past few years just as much as DC and I haven't been impressed with DC's latest offerings regarding direct to DVD films since Bruce Timm left. While DC does feature the Arkham series for gaming, it's not as though Marvel does nothing in that area, Marvel has been doing more on the mobile gaming market and unlike consoles, the mobile market is growing. Finally, while it's great that the DCCU is starting to take shape under WB, only one has come out and the reactions were mixed.

Is it possible DC ends up winning in all of those areas mention, sure but it's premature, especially when you consider that what Marvel is putting their resources in (streaming shows and mobile gaming) might end up being the future.

Gotham, flash, constantine are all gettin buzz and recognition. Izombie nor the preacher have hit yet, but when they do it will increase the load. Im judging the TV market based on which company is putting more out and has put more out in with good reception. DC already has smallville thats one extra experience....currently DC is doing better, as arrow>>>AoS. Streaming netflix for movies is the trend, not unknown tv shows. Its funny cause the most streamed tv shows on netflix are the ones that have been a major hit on TV. TV will always be more popular than netflix....with five DC shows on major networks, five quick ASAP shows on netflix without recognition from the tv audience isnt gonna help. What was the last good marvel animation? avengers EMH? that was cancelled and now they're on a role of releasing half a season of avengers shows, all missing. The last DC animations, young justice, and green lantern>>>>any marvel animations the last few years. Say what you want, but JL War actually had good reception and even if you dont like the properties from Bruce Timm leaving, its still better than black widow and punisher animated movie..........fact is that DC is doing faar better in the animation department. The console market is going strong every year and will and is >>>>the mobile market. Currently the arkham games are>>>>>any and every marvel game out. IGN rated DCUO as the best online game and lego batman is beating the lego marvel games. Then DC has injustice which is getting a sequel....they are simply doing better in the gaming market. Despite the reactions being mixied, it still did better than the incredible hulk, iron man 2 and the first thor and cap movies, thats good enough.

You're indirectly claiming marvel has won all those areas, which they clearly havnt if we're arguing on the same level, frankly DC is 5 steps ahead of marvel in the gaming, tv and animation department, thats a given. Why is it premature? im assuming you consder marvel to be the victor in all those areas? streaming netflix inclusive shows will not become the future, 99% of the successful netflix streamed tv shows, are TV exclusive shows. And mobile gaming<<<<<<by console gaming and pc gaming, thats a given.

So back to the question, DC is only struggling on the movie field, everything else they've pretty much conquered......my question was aimed at the movie field

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Youknowwhattodo didn't say (indirectly or otherwise) that Marvel is winning, just that declaring any winner between the 2 in many areas is premature, because many of the projects for both have just gotten off the ground. It'd be like declaring a team won baseball game because they have a 2-1 lead in the 3rd inning. IMHO, I think DC is on the right track, but like with any plan, you have to execute it. Let's see if they execute it.

Thorverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you feel that there is only enough audience for one comic universe, than they both win. Right now, as far as the movies go, Marvel has a monstrous lead, especially since Bats is being rebooted. If they built JLA off the DK Trilogy, it'd be about a tie, but they didn't. To compare what Marvel has done against what is basically only MOS, it's a curbstomp right now. Add to the fact that X-Men just did a huuuge movie and the Spiderman reboot is fairly successful, movies based on Marvel books are really the only game in town, if not all Disney property.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There is no doubt that DC has been on the move as of late. I attribute much of their rise to the 10 year success of the Smallville television series. I watched it every week. While I have not followed the Arrow series, I am looking forward the the premiere of The Flash this coming fall. As for films, well, I really do not know why DC lags behind in this category. Perhaps they feel it is better to concentrate on television for now?