• 92 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio

As an artist I was always told that nothing is really original anymore. Most ideas come from somewhere. I have even been encouraged to do use reference material. That is especially true in comics, video games, manga, television and any commercial art form where characters are important. We can see the traits of celebrities and other characters in alot of things that have been created in out lifetimes. Some people call these characters rip-offs or clones but I like to think of them as homages or tributes. Seeing certain documentaries and extra footage from certain DVD's and hearing what the thought process and inspiration had been for certain things has always been interesting to me. For instance Frank Miller claims that inspiration for the character Elektra was Sand Saref, another female character featured in The Spirit comics. Or as another example, Jim Carrey says that the character Ace Ventura draws it's reference material from birds, everything from his hair, to the way he walks was based around birds. So i'd like to open a discussion about where we think certain ideas come from. 
 
Just to push another example and get this thing started, let's examine Superman for a moment. It's been stated that Superman draws reference from a character known as Gladiator, but interestingly enough, Gladiator isn't an alien..he's a human who gained his powers from a serum much like Captain America. What's also interesting is that the serum that makes Gladiator a superhuman is described by the ability of insects (The proportionate strength of an ant, the leaping ability of a grasshopper). Spider-Man may have drawn inspiration from this. The idea of describing a characters powers in terms of how they would compare to real world objects is drawn from the Gladiator novel. The popular statements of Superman being "faster than a speeding bullet", and "more powerful than a locomotive" and "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" are what comes of this. The concept of a "man of steel" seems to be drawn from Gladiator's original idea of being bulletproof, and being superhumanly durable like steel. Similar to Clark Kent, Hugo Danner (Gladiator) plays high school football in a rural area, Kent is more of a farm boy but they have a similar upbringing. Their parents both tried to keep him from revealing his powers and getting into trouble, both also took interest in the United States' place in wars. By the time Superman had became a popular property he was a propaganda vessel for for World War II but Gladiator fought in World War I as a member of the French Foreign Legion. With all of their similarities the concept of a costumed vigilante or a "Superhero" begins with Superman in the booth going from mild mannered reporter, Clark Kent to the Man of Steel, Superman. Later Superman gains the ability to fly which would be a huge part of the characters powers.."It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Superman". Later came the different types of vision and superhuman senses. Alot of different ideas seems to come from Superman, many of those from Marvel but some even from DC and lesser known publishers... 
 
Captain Marvel-Seems like only a variant of Superman. Similar in appearance but with magical properties and background. 
The Kryptonians-The race of aliens that Superman comes from that mostly all have the potential to be comparable to what he is on earth.
The Marvel Family-This seemed to be a big thing at DC, like sidekicks. Everyone had a side kick and many characters were part of a family or race of characters that we're alot like the hero. For instance The Wonder Woman & The Amazons, Aquaman & the Atlanteans, Martian Manhunter & the Martians etc. 
Super-Soldier-An amalgam creation of crossing Superman with Captain America..both characters that seem to draw inspiration from Gladiator. 
Wonder Woman-Seeming to be the female version of Superman as far as her powers, what she stands for and where she comes from. How she's different is she seems to also draw inspiration from the Roman Goddess Diana whom she seems to be based physically and named after, the Amazons have an origin grounded in the same mythology. Some of the powers she later develops in history seem more based on the goddess, Diana as well. 
Samaritan-A character from Astro City that has the same powers but is almost identical to Superman in appearance. Same color scheme, a Cap and similar facial features and hair.
 
Supreme-A Superman created by Rob Leifeld part of a team known as the "Allied Supermen of America" which seems to take reference from the Justice League but is also still working off the concept that Supreme is based on Superman. 
Prime-Seems to be more based on Captain Marvel as like Billy Batson uses the SHAZAM enchantment to go from being a child to the Superman known as Captain Marvel, Prime is a mutant that whose transformation into Prime an adult superhero is part of his mutation. They also share the same color scheme but he's almost identical in features to Hyperion
Apollo-Seems to be the Superman of the team "Authority" which is similar to the Justice League (Midnighter being their Batman,Swift being Hawkgirl,and the other characters being more unique), Apollo has the same powers as Superman but his powers and character seems to be based around the idea that Superman's powers comes from absorbing energy from the Earth's sun. His homosexual relationship with Midnighter seems to also be a step further from the close relationship between Superman & Batman. 
Invincible-A younger character who seems to share abilities with Superman but also the background of being something other than human. 
Superior- same costume set up Superman, similar powers. 
Majestic-Similar costume & abilities to Superman, also of an Alien Race.
 
Miracle Man\Marvel Man-A more hardened version of Superman. No Cape but same powers and color scheme as Superman, costume more reminiscent of the original Superman costume. Absorbs sunlight, very similar story and abilities to the Sentry (a Superman) but proceeds him. Has a sidekick called "Young Marvelman" who is alot like him, playing off the type of sidekicks golden age DC characters had but also has a family sort of like, Captain Marvel.
Sentry-Seems to be based on Golden Age Superman, drawing the inspiration of the descriptions of his powers from Gladiator and Superman alike with the "Power of A Million exploding suns", he is also said to absorb sunlight and has a golden aura at all times. Alot like Marvel Man in "Age of the Sentry" he has sort of a "Family" with Sentress & Scout. His symbol is a stylized S, much like that of Superman.
Gladiator-Possibly named Gladiator after the original character Superman is thought to based on. He's of alien origin just like Kal-El\Clark Kent. His real name is Kallark which when said sounds alot like "Clark". He is also weak to an unknown radiation as Superman is weak to Kryptonian an alien radioactive element.
Wonder Man-Wears the first letter of his character name on his chest much like the "S" for Superman. Wonder is synonym for "Super". His look and style is much like that of Superman and in fact if he was to wear a Superman costume you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them. They have the same build and hairstyle. They have similar powers, Wonder Man's difference is the Ionic energy idea.  
Hyperion-The Superman of the "Squadron Supreme\Supreme Squadron" which is based on the Justice League (Nighthawk\Batman,Princess Power\Wonder Woman,etc.). 
The Marvels-Marvel Comics "Marvels" are characters that are hybrids of the Kree race. Characters that were human but with Kree technology and genetics they are now superheroes. They are somewhat a family like the Kryptonians and The Marvel Family of DC. The idea begins with Marvel's Captain Marvel, whom is similar to Superman as far as his powers and color scheme but he were's the Nega-Bands that enhances his abilities. From that comes characters like Ms.Marvel who is kind of the "Supergirl" in the equation. 
 
Captain America-Captain America is similar to the concept of Gladiator which may be the basis of Superman. He was created to be a "Superman" for the United States military, same color scheme as Superman accept with white added to go with the American theme. They both stand for similar things and fit in the category of "boy scout" leader types. 
Spider-Man-Sort of the Superman of Marvel in the sense that they are both the flagships of their respective companies. They have the same color scheme and Spider-Man's abilities seem to relate back to descriptions of Gladiator's abilities but only referencing what he would gain from the spider he was bitten by giving him his powers. There's also the concept of Spiderman being raised by someone other than his birth parents because he lost his parents, working at a new paper (Daily Planet\Daily Bugle), and being more humble and modest about his abilities as their alter ego or civilian form. 
Thor-Seems to be the Superman of the Avengers. He's has Superman's strength,durability,build,ability of flight but also his abilities granted by being the God of Thunder. They have the same color scheme (red,blue,and yellow) with a red cape. He has a similar role to Superman as a member of the Avengers. 
 
What do you think? What other reference material can you point out that are used in different artforms?

#2 Edited by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

Niiiioce thread.

Fantomex was inspired by Diabolik

Yeah. Nice thread and the Fantomex one is good. Love Diabolik.

#4 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:

Niiiioce thread.

Fantomex was inspired by Diabolik

Thanks. What are their similarities other then costume?
#5 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Gambler said:

Niiiioce thread.

Fantomex was inspired by Diabolik

Thanks. What are their similarities other then costume?

The whole sexy man of mystery thief shtick.

#6 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Gambler said:

Niiiioce thread.

Fantomex was inspired by Diabolik

Thanks. What are their similarities other then costume?

Both thieves, both french acrobatic suave types. Diabolik even had a partner named Eva.

#7 Posted by SmashBrawler (5977 posts) - - Show Bio

The Green Lantern Corps vs. the classic space opera series Lensman from 1937

The Lensmen were created by the most advanced alien race in the universe, the Arisians. The Green Lanterns were created by the Oans (the Guardians of the Universe). The Lensmen are chosen for being the epitome of bravery and honesty, just like the Green Lanterns (sorta). Finally, both organizations give their member a special, unique weapon that can be used by nobody else but the person to whom it was given. In Lensmen's case a lens that gives them telepathic powers, and in Green Lantern's, the green power ring.

I'm totally not stealing this from Cracked.

#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@SmashBrawler said:

The Green Lantern Corps vs. the classic space opera series Lensman from 1937

The Lensmen were created by the most advanced alien race in the universe, the Arisians. The Green Lanterns were created by the Oans (the Guardians of the Universe). The Lensmen are chosen for being the epitome of bravery and honesty, just like the Green Lanterns (sorta). Finally, both organizations give their member a special, unique weapon that can be used by nobody else but the person to whom it was given. In Lensmen's case a lens that gives them telepathic powers, and in Green Lantern's, the green power ring.

I'm totally not stealing this from Cracked.

What a coincidence. I was just about to ask if anyone knew where the idea of Green Lantern came from. I know what characters were seemingly based off of Green Lantern such as... 
 
The Nova Corps-Same concept the Green Lantern Corps with the comic "Nova" or "Green Lantern" being based on a popular earth version of the character. 
 
Blue Light-I don't know his background but he's part of a French Avengers style team and looks ekactly like Green Lantern accept his costume is blue. 
 
Dr.Spectrum-He's the Green Lantern of the Supreme Squadron]\Squadron Supreme, he an energy based character like Green Lantern but instead of a ring he has a crystal planted in his hand. 
 
Characters like Quasar and Captain Marvel are kind of like the GL's too with the Quantam Bands and being able to forum contructs and manipulate energy.
#9 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

 Love Diabolik.

I never heard of him until now LOL.
#10 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@ReVamp said:

Love Diabolik.

I never heard of him until now LOL.

That Animated Series was the sh!t. Or at least I thought so twelve years ago. That combined with the original Avengers United They Stand and JLU was my sh!t.

And I don't really have any good ones for these threads. I think about this a lot actually and occaisionally come up with a good one but generally forget about it soon. I mean, apart from the obvious ones. (Namor/Aquaman, )

Thor-Seems to be the Superman of the Avengers. He's has Superman's strength,durability,build,ability of flight but also his abilities granted by being the God of Thunder. They have the same color scheme (red,blue,and yellow) with a red cape. He has a similar role to Superman as a member of the Avengers.

...I can see where you're coming from but... I mean, he's undeniably based on the original Norse character, I think the whole Superman thing is more of a coincidence, no?

#11 Edited by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said: 
Thor-Seems to be the Superman of the Avengers. He's has Superman's strength,durability,build,ability of flight but also his abilities granted by being the God of Thunder. They have the same color scheme (red,blue,and yellow) with a red cape. He has a similar role to Superman as a member of the Avengers.

...I can see where you're coming from but... I mean, he's undeniably based on the original Norse character, I think the whole Superman thing is more of a coincidence, no?

Yes, exactly. That's why he's broken up into the same area as Spider-Man & Captain America because I don't think the intention was to actually base them on Superman or Gladiator, he's clearly BASED on the Norse God, Thor but they do have similarities. I think the idea to bring Thor in to the Avengers or into the Marvel Universe in the first place may have been inspired by Superman.
#12 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure the Killer from Wanted (the comic) is purposely illustrated to look exactly like Eminem

#13 Edited by ComicMan24 (147107 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

Niiiioce thread.

Fantomex was inspired by Diabolik

Good one. Had completely forgotten about him.

@Gambler said:

Pretty sure the Killer from Wanted (the comic) is purposely illustrated to look exactly like Eminem

Yeah and the Fox from the same book was based look-wise on Halle Berry.

#14 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24: hahaha good call on the Halle Berry one.

#15 Posted by The Poet (8338 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Emma Frost and the Hellfire Club were inspired by Emma Peel and the Hellfire club from the 1960s tv show the Avengers (look at the members of the Marvel Hellfire club and you'll see a number of their members' names are references to the Avengers and other places).

Google it if you don't believe me.

Moderator
#16 Posted by ComicMan24 (147107 posts) - - Show Bio

The Imperial Guard was based on the Legion of Superheroes just as the Squadron Supreme was based on the Justice League.

#17 Edited by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:

The Imperial Guard was based on the Legion of Superheroes just as the Squadron Supreme was based on the Justice League.

I never thought of that before. 
 
@The Poet said:

Well, Emma Frost and the Hellfire Club were inspired by Emma Peel and the Hellfire club from the 1960s tv show the Avengers (look at the members of the Marvel Hellfire club and you'll see a number of their members' names are references to the Avengers and other places).

Google it if you don't believe me.

I do believe you but I looked it up anyway just to see how far Claremont had gone and It appears that Sebastian Shaw,Donald Pierce,and Emma Frost were named after Robert Shaw,Donald Sutherland,& Emma Peel.The Black Bishop or Harry Leland was similar to a character played by Orson Wells.
#18 Posted by JediXMan (31029 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24 said:

@Gambler said:

Pretty sure the Killer from Wanted (the comic) is purposely illustrated to look exactly like Eminem

Yeah and the Fox from the same book was based look-wise on Halle Berry.

This! I've thought that since I first read Wanted!

If they make a real Wanted movie, they need to cast Halle Berry and Eminem.

Moderator
#19 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: This is purely my opinion, tell me what you think.

Clones of each universe:

  • thor/superman
  • namor/aquaman
  • dr. strange/dr. fate
  • thanos/darkseid
  • quicksilver/flash(debatable)
  • quasar/hal jordan
  • ironman/batman

Superman homages:

  • mr. majestic
  • supreme
  • thor(duh)
  • ms. marvel
  • wonder woman
  • black adam
  • captain marvel(dc)

and a whole list of others.

#20 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24 said:

The Imperial Guard was based on the Legion of Superheroes just as the Squadron Supreme was based on the Justice League.

I thought the Avengers and Justice League were "clone' teams....

#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxxddd said:

@Vance Astro: This is purely my opinion, tell me what you think.

Clones of each universe:

  • thor/superman
  • namor/aquaman
  • dr. strange/dr. fate
  • thanos/darkseid
  • quicksilver/flash(debatable)
  • quasar/hal jordan
  • ironman/batman

Superman homages:

  • mr. majestic
  • supreme
  • thor(duh)
  • ms. marvel
  • wonder woman
  • black adam
  • captain marvel(dc)

and a whole list of others.

I agree with all accept Iron Man\Batman. I think their similarities are completely coincidental.
#22 Edited by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro:

Are you saying you believe iron man is marvel's batman coincidentally and not intentionally?

2. If why not, care to elaborate?

3. If why, who do you believe is marvel's batman?

#23 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxxddd said:

@Vance Astro:

Are you saying you believe iron man is marvel's batman coincidentally and not intentionally?

2. If why not, care to elaborate?

3. If why, who do you believe is marvel's batman?

I'm saying I don't believe that Iron Man is Marvel's Batman, their similarities have to do with their use of science and since science is universal we can't say he's really borrowing it from Batman because science was a part of making characters who they are before Batman. 
  
Marvel's Batman can be several characters. There is Moon Knight who has a similar style costume style, he's insanely rich, he names all of his gadgets and vehicles with a the prefix in his own name. For instance "Mooncopter\Batwing, Moon Darts\Batarangs, etc." 
 
Then there is Nighthawk whom is the Batman of the Squadron Supreme. Squadron Supreme is based on the Justice League (Hyperion\Superman, Green Arrow\Golden Archer, Power Princess\Wonder Woman, Lady Lark\Black Canary, Dr.Spectrum\Green Lantern etc.)
#24 Edited by nick_hero22 (6971 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

As an artist I was always told that nothing is really original anymore. Most ideas come from somewhere. I have even been encouraged to do use reference material. That is especially true in comics, video games, manga, television and any commercial art form where characters are important. We can see the traits of celebrities and other characters in alot of things that have been created in out lifetimes. Some people call these characters rip-offs or clones but I like to think of them as homages or tributes. Seeing certain documentaries and extra footage from certain DVD's and hearing what the thought process and inspiration had been for certain things has always been interesting to me. For instance Frank Miller claims that inspiration for the character Elektra was Sand Saref, another female character featured in The Spirit comics. Or as another example, Jim Carrey says that the character Ace Ventura draws it's reference material from birds, everything from his hair, to the way he walks was based around birds. So i'd like to open a discussion about where we think certain ideas come from.

Your an artist?

#25 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@nick_hero22 said:

Your an artist?

Yes. 
#26 Posted by nick_hero22 (6971 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@nick_hero22 said:

Your an artist?

Yes.

Proof?

#27 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@nick_hero22 said:

Proof?

..........
#28 Posted by nick_hero22 (6971 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@nick_hero22 said:

Proof?

..........

Post ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@nick_hero22 said:

Post ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I wanted to post my work on comicvine, I would be in the artist-show off section. This thread isn't really about whether I'm an artist or not.
#30 Posted by nick_hero22 (6971 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@nick_hero22 said:

Post ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I wanted to post my work on comicvine, I would be in the artist-show off section. This thread isn't really about whether I'm an artist or not.

You made the claim Vence, and now you have to prove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;p

#31 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@nick_hero22 said:

You made the claim Vence, and now you have to prove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;p

It wasn't a claim, it was a segway. 
#32 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman was inspired by Zorro. they both wear masks, Zorro was a billionaire playboy, Zorro had a butler, and Zorro had an underground cave where he kept his horse.

#33 Posted by RustyRoy (13350 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther, Daredevil, Nighthawk, Moon Knight, Midnighter, Iron Man,Cyclops, Spider man, Punisher, Wolverine, Green Arrow, Nite Owl, Blue Beetle, Ozymandias and many more from not only Marvel and DC but also other publishers(and not only limited to comic) share similarities with Batman and maybe some of them are inspired by him even if very little but not all of them are though. Captain America also seems an amalgam Superman and Batman.

#34 Posted by tupiaz (2230 posts) - - Show Bio

An awful long list of names without any real proof or evidence that all of them have the fundamental idea from Batman. I don’t believe that many have their roots in Batman. For instance the only thing Batman and Spider-man has in common is that they event they build their gadgets. The gadgets are not that important in the Spider-Man mythos. Anyone has the idea where Daredevil idea comes from? It is some remark to blind justice or something else? Daredevil had by the way in many years more in common with Spider-Man and was “the poor man’s Spider-Man” until Frank Miller took over as a Writer.

#35 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@tupiaz said:
Anyone has the idea where Daredevil idea comes from? It is some remark to blind justice or something else? Daredevil had by the way in many years more in common with Spider-Man and was “the poor man’s Spider-Man” until Frank Miller took over as a Writer.
Death-Defying Devil 
This is a link the original Daredevil. The character had to change it's name when Dynamite took the property because Marvel owned the name Daredevil.  
 
@RustyRoy said:

Black Panther, Daredevil, Nighthawk, Moon Knight, Midnighter, Iron Man,Cyclops, Spider man, Punisher, Wolverine, Green Arrow, Nite Owl, Blue Beetle, Ozymandias and many more from not only Marvel and DC but also other publishers(and not only limited to comic) share similarities with Batman and maybe some of them are inspired by him even if very little but not all of them are though. Captain America also seems an amalgam Superman and Batman.

Nighthawk, Moon Knight, Midnighter, and Nite Owl definitely take reference from Batman but I don't think those other characters do. DC also has character the predates Captain America that he's more like that carries a shield and whose persona is based on the United States. I can't think of his name right now though. I agree he reminds me alot of both Batman and Superman but I don't think they were his direct inspiration.
#36 Posted by tupiaz (2230 posts) - - Show Bio

@ Vance Astro Doesn’t sound like Marvel’s Daredevil. Daredevil is IMO an adverb and should therefore be a public domain.

#37 Posted by RustyRoy (13350 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@RustyRoy said:

Black Panther, Daredevil, Nighthawk, Moon Knight, Midnighter, Iron Man,Cyclops, Spider man, Punisher, Wolverine, Green Arrow, Nite Owl, Blue Beetle, Ozymandias and many more from not only Marvel and DC but also other publishers(and not only limited to comic) share similarities with Batman and maybe some of them are inspired by him even if very little but not all of them are though. Captain America also seems an amalgam Superman and Batman.

Nighthawk, Moon Knight, Midnighter, and Nite Owl definitely take reference from Batman but I don't think those other characters do. DC also has character the predates Captain America that he's more like that carries a shield and whose persona is based on the United States. I can't think of his name right now though. I agree he reminds me alot of both Batman and Superman but I don't think they were his direct inspiration.

I'm not saying they fully copy them but Batman and Superman are one of the biggest fictional characters of America and many writers and creators are inspired by atleast some aspects of their characteristics.

#38 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@tupiaz said:
@ Vance Astro Doesn’t sound like Marvel’s Daredevil. 
What? 
 
@tupiaz said:
Daredevil is IMO an adverb and should therefore be a public domain.
I don't know if Dynamite had to change the name because they weren't allowed to use it but more so because Marvel's Daredevil was so popular that for Dynamite to also use the name for "Death-Defying Devil" would deny him a fair shot at selling books.
#39 Posted by tupiaz (2230 posts) - - Show Bio

@ Vance Astro Death-Defying Devil seems like his nothing like Daredevil and that is only the name they have in common. I was asking where the idea for a blind superhero that has radar sense and is a lawyer came from. Lev Gleason choose to change the name because they didn’t wanted to get in conflict with Marvel, the case has never been for a court. Because Lev Gleason chose not to go to court it probably mean that Marvel could win the name Daredevil, even though I feel it would be wrong.

#40 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34016 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: that idea came from Black Bat

@Vance Astro: I thought Superman got the name Clark, nick name Man of Steel(Bronze) and the Fortress of Solitude all from Doc Savage.

#41 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@tupiaz said:
@ Vance Astro Death-Defying Devil seems like his nothing like Daredevil and that is only the name they have in common.
Well the idea of a blind lawyer didn't come from Death-Defying Devil but I think certain ideas that were used for Daredevil earlier in his creation came from him.  
#42 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro: I thought Superman got the name Clark, nick name Man of Steel(Bronze) and the Fortress of Solitude all from Doc Savage.

Could be but I think Doc Savage is based on Gladiator.
#43 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34016 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro: I thought Superman got the name Clark, nick name Man of Steel(Bronze) and the Fortress of Solitude all from Doc Savage.

Could be but I think Doc Savage is based on Gladiator.

Well Doc Savage has no superpowers, he's just peak human mentally and physically but he grew up in a small town in Kansas, his first name is Clark, he's widely known as the Man of Bronze and he has a hideout called the Fortress of Solitude that's in the snowy wilderness of the artic

#44 Edited by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Well Doc Savage has no superpowers, he's just peak human mentally and physically but he grew up in a small town in Kansas, his first name is Clark, he's widely known as the Man of Bronze and he has a hideout called the Fortress of Solitude that's in the snowy wilderness of the artic

I should have said Philip Wylie, who created Gladiator wrote another novel called "The Savage Gentleman", which may be the basis for Doc Savage. 
#45 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro:

One thing I noticed that is vastly different between the clones of the marvel and dc universe is how they are written.

Take Quasar and Hal Jordan for example.

Quasar doesn't have a "mini universe" like Hal does.

And it's like that for the other clones, too.

Have you picked up on this?

#46 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxxddd said:

Take Quasar and Hal Jordan for example.

Quasar doesn't have a "mini universe" like Hal does.

I don't know much about Quasar. I just see the similarity in their abilities. What do you mean Hal has a mini universe though?
#47 Posted by NazarethSavage (214 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a simple one.... 

Sun Wukong is a character from a chinese novel, known as Journey to the West. Sun Wukong is a monkey god who has vast strength,flies on a cloud,uses a staff weapon that grows in size (same as Goku & Son Son), he has superhuman strength & speed, he's also a great fighter & a shapeshifter. In human form he's unable to hide his tail (like Goku) he's from a clan of other monkeys (like the Saiyans), and there are other characters from Journey to the West that seem to pop-up in Dragonball. There is an Bull King which is probably the inspiration for Chi-Chi's father,Ox-King..There is a pig character that is probably the inspiration for Oolong,etc. Son Goku is the Japanese name for Sun Wukong and there are several different animes & mangas that have a Goku such as (Dragonball Z,Saiyuki,Monkey Typhoon,& Goku: Midnight Eye. 
#48 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Hal has the green lantern corps. There is no "Quantum Corps."

Okay, here is a better example(I know you disagree):

Ironman and Batman.

batman has gotham city.

It's his city, the villains there are his villain, and everything that happens there is centered around him.

Iron Man is in NYC....just like most other major marvel characters/teams.

Or Hawkeye and Green Arrow.

Oliver has Star City, there, the allies there are his allies, the enemies there are his enemies, he's the center of attention.

Clint has no such mini universe.

See what I"m getting at?

#49 Posted by Vance Astro (91296 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxxddd said:

@Vance Astro: Hal has the green lantern corps. There is no "Quantum Corps."

Okay, here is a better example(I know you disagree):

Ironman and Batman.

batman has gotham city.

It's his city, the villains there are his villain, and everything that happens there is centered around him.

Iron Man is in NYC....just like most other major marvel characters/teams.

Or Hawkeye and Green Arrow.

Oliver has Star City, there, the allies there are his allies, the enemies there are his enemies, he's the center of attention.

Clint has no such mini universe.

See what I"m getting at?

I think I understand..you're saying that Quasar has no real jurisdiction? He has no place to call his own that he protects and nobody else does? Like how Daredevil has Hell's Kitchen?  I thought you were talking about an actually "mini-verse".
#50 Edited by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro:

1. No, lol, it was a figure of speech.

2. Do you see what I mean? Hawkeye isn't the protector of any city. Where as Oliver is. When solo issues are made, there will always be a location where Oliver is the king, where you may see Mia, or Roy Harper, or Black Canary, but in the end, they all revolve around Oliver.

Iron Man isn't the protector of any city like Batman is, Thor isn't the protector of any city like Superman is, and so on, and so forth.

This "mini universe" thing that DC does is why I like their stories more. There is a set location where everything is going to go down for a hero. A hero's personal beliefs and relationship with the world around them can be further explored. Their strengths(as well as their flaws) are easily identifiable.

If Hawkeye, was say, the protector of Miami, and had a "rogue gallery"(his own assortment of villains, like how Green Arrow had Dark Archer, Cupid,etc.) and allies in that city, I would like Hawkeye more than I do now.

Because no matter what happens with hawkeye, there is no place he reigns supreme.