Xangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Xangel

from Pure Nerd Nip

As most comics fans know, tomorrow marks the second week of DC's Zero month, a time in which every title will release an 'Issue #0' to highlight some event that took place prior to the book's first installment. The Zero Issues main focus is to fill in shadows of origin, backstory or character that were intentionally left open ended or blank at the start of the New 52 reboot last year. This was generally applauded as it allowed for 52 new titles to hit the ground running while neither overwhelming new readers nor pissing off returning fans with as many Year 1 origin stories. However, since the initial fade of excitement the entire line has been plagued with issues of people still wanting continuity to the old world and stories, as well as between the individual titles to create a cohesive universe. While I agree that 'Zero Month' is a great way to build back up some of that hype, it will again be unsustainable if the individual titles don't attempt greater than to put out more of the same.

Unfortunately, after the first wave of books have come and gone, it appears that Zero Month is currently the largest non-event in current comics events.
The first week featured Action Comics, Animal Man, Batwing, Detective Comics, Earth 2, GI Combat, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Dial H, Phantom Stranger, Storm Watch, Swamp Thing, and Worlds Finest. To be honest I don't read the majority of these titles regularly; and at it's core I feel that DC is making a legitimate attempt to once again offer readers an easy access point into a world regularly criticized for it's dense uninviting continuity. However to make every issue #0 seems superfluous. GI combat probably didn't need a dedicated origin story and other titles like Dial H which had their #1 issue only a few months ago might not best be served with this same zero issue handling. The titles that remain again hinge on the current creative teams running each.

Sadly this is Zero month's downfall; there is nothing inherently special about any of the books. Yes, they have a plot that's different in continuity than last months. But rather than really plan out a big reveal, or bring in a classic writer for each character or story; it's been left to the discretion of the same teams that handle them, well...every other month. If you hate how Green Arrow has been served to date, this month's #0 isn't going to change your mind. If you feel that Detective Comics has had poor stories and has been the weakest of the dozen or so bat-titles, well as my DC #0 Review explores, you can expect more of the same.

For better or worse each title is just maintaining itself and merely falling into a mandated marketing ploy. Earth 2 is still a beautiful superhero team up with grand scale and ambition, Worlds Finest continues to have surprising heart and emotionality, and Grant Morrison continues to insist on putting pig heads on people in Action Comics. Will this push sell more books? Of course it will; with all the hype that DC has put into it, Zero Month can't not bring a bump to sales. Will it be a huge event like Darkest Night or industry changing move like the original New 52? No, it will barely be a blip on the radar. It's an interesting ploy to that might bring a few wayward readers back into the fold.

Zero month itself isn't going to make me a regular reader again for any of the titles I've dropped over the years. Who knows though, in a world where 6 month story arcs are the norm, maybe a nice one off on Barbara Gorden's recovery to become Batgirl or how Bruce Wayne built up the cape, cowl, cave, and gadgets that make him Batman will be a refreshing change of pace. Again, it all depends on the people that regularly deal with the character; same as it does every issue. So keep reading the books you normally would anyway; as 'Zero Month' should be the additional amount you'll spend picking up titles you don't love.
fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By fodigg

I'll take this type of a event over a crossover that derails individual books entirely.