#1 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

make the perfect superhero 

#2 Posted by Strider92 (16737 posts) - - Show Bio

An omnipotent with a combination of Spider-man's and Superman's mentality.

#3 Posted by Immortal777 (7682 posts) - - Show Bio

There already is a perfect superhero SUPERMAN.

/thread

#4 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (531 posts) - - Show Bio

His would be a perfect synthesis of the Monomyth and the Christ story, being equal parts the Hero with a Thousand Faces and a Christ-figure, with all the trapping of Superman to fill out the details.

I'm actually working on just such a comic myself at the moment. I'm thinking of naming the main character "The Superhuman," though I'm also considering "Superb" and "Archetype."

“Quicker than Quantum Entanglement! Mightier than the Big Bang! Able to traverse the Multiverse in a single stride! Look, up in the heavens! It’s a UFO! It’s an angel! It’s… the Superhuman!

“Yes, the Superhuman, alien savior from the planet Xenon blessed with abilities far greater than those of ordinary individuals; the Superhuman, who can alter the flow of time-streams and bend the laws of physics in his bare hands, and who, walking among us as Guy Godwin, contributor and pundit for a respected multimedia news network, fights on the side of all that it true and just in the cosmic battle between good and evil.”

#5 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman+Goku+Thor+Squirrel Girl+Wally West+Jean Grey+Deadpool+Valkyrie+Wonder Woman+Batman..

Strong, smart, sexy, PIS powers, fast, immortal...seems good to me.

#6 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22230 posts) - - Show Bio

@Immortal777 said:

/thread

I was gonna say this

#7 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

There has already been a perfect super hero and that person is our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

#8 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO:

No need to bring religion into Comic Vine...

Sincerely,

#9 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio
@ZEELLO
#10 Posted by dtm1980 (240 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: I don't know of a superhero that has superpowers and yet doesn't fight. Someone that leaves it to the countless other legends and wannabes and just rescues innocents from the war zone. If you ask me, that would be cool, unlike the other bloated selfish egos that just can't get along hahaha oh god I'm showing my age

#11 Edited by RideASpaceCowboy (531 posts) - - Show Bio

@dtm1980 said:

@kgb725: I don't know of a superhero that has superpowers and yet doesn't fight. Someone that leaves it to the countless other legends and wannabes and just rescues innocents from the war zone. If you ask me, that would be cool, unlike the other bloated selfish egos that just can't get along hahaha oh god I'm showing my age

Professor Xavier (my second favorite hero in comics after Superman precisely because he's more philosopher and preacher than action star).

#12 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22230 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO: thats better than what I said

#13 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (531 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jokergeist said:

@ZEELLO:

Sincerely,

@Matchstick said:

@ZEELLO:

Regardless of your own theological views, the portrayal of Jesus in the four canonical Gospels are definitely a depiction of a "super" hero, and a quite compelling one at that. Grant Morrison called Superman "our greatest idea ever as a human-species" precisely because of the intersection of his absolute moral authority and certainty and his absolute power and ability to solve any problem. This same concept of a human being that is both omnibenevolent and omnipotent, yet able to identify with us in our humanity (just as Clark Kent), was already present in the Biblical and creedal understanding of Jesus.

#14 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

*Facepalm

Sincerely,

#15 Posted by GunGunW (997 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this a hero that's perfect to us personally, or the overall definition of perfection that would apply to everyone?

#16 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18415 posts) - - Show Bio

@GunGunW said:

Is this a hero that's perfect to us personally, or the overall definition of perfection that would apply to everyone?

Good question.

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

@Jokergeist said:

@ZEELLO:

Sincerely,

@Matchstick said:

@ZEELLO:

Regardless of your own theological views, the portrayal of Jesus in the four canonical Gospels are definitely a depiction of a "super" hero, and a quite compelling one at that. Grant Morrison called Superman "our greatest idea ever as a human-species" precisely because of the intersection of his absolute moral authority and certainty and his absolute power and ability to solve any problem. This same concept of a human being that is both omnibenevolent and omnipotent, yet able to identify with us in our humanity (just as Clark Kent), was already present in the Biblical and creedal understanding of Jesus.

But depictions of heroes came about way before the bible was written and Jesus was made up.What about the Greek myths.

#17 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (531 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@GunGunW said:

Good question.

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

@Jokergeist said:

@ZEELLO:

Sincerely,

@Matchstick said:

@ZEELLO:

But depictions of heroes came about way before the bible was written and Jesus was made up.What about the Greek myths.

There are two main differences. The first is that the heroes in Greek myths such as Achilles, Heracles, Jason, Perseus, and Theseus, are only ever at most demigods, finite and limited in their powers and abilities. There are certain problems in the world that they cant't solve, trails that they conceivably would not have been able to overcome. Morrison's Superman, on the other hand, can lift a book with infinite pages (and therefore infinite mass); he can hold Bleed, a metaphysical substance which cannot be held, merely on the basis that he's Superman; he can destroy the god of Evil just by the power of his voice; he can restore reality from a near singularity by using the light within him to power a wish for a happy ending. Final Crisis paints a picture of Superman as being essentially all-powerful. He is in these instances closer to the Biblical portrayal of Jesus, whose Second Coming is said to contain similar feats.

The second and more important difference is that the aforementioned Grecian heroes were rarely ever paragons of virtue (particularly Achilles and Heracles), let alone morally infallible as Morrison portrays Superman to be throughout All-Star Superman, Final Crisis, and Action Comics, or as the Gospel writer portray Jesus to be. Other Apostolic writings such as the Epistles of Paul are absolutely explicit in establishing as doctrine that Jesus never once committed any moral failing.

Most importantly, however, is in the absolute novelty of marrying these two concepts of perfect strength and perfect goodness. Judeo-Christian Monotheism's influence on Western culture has caused us to grow up believing these to be natural pairings, but outside of that religious tradition such conceptions are utterly unheard of. Merely look at ancient Greece, where religious ritual and philosophical ethics were two completely separate spheres of life with no overlap whatsoever.

When writers began to unite these elements into the character of Superman (this wasn't originally present in Siegel and Shuster's version), they were establishing a character which (in those specific respects) had no analogue in literature apart from Christ alone.

#18 Posted by Jean199999 (548 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18415 posts) - - Show Bio

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@GunGunW said:

Good question.

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

@Jokergeist said:

@ZEELLO:

Sincerely,

@Matchstick said:

@ZEELLO:

There are two main differences. The first is that the heroes in Greek myths such as Achilles, Heracles, Jason, Perseus, and Theseus, are only ever at most demigods, finite and limited in their powers and abilities. There are certain problems in the world that they cant't solve, trails that they conceivably would not have been able to overcome. Morrison's Superman, on the other hand, can lift a book with infinite pages (and therefore infinite mass); he can hold Bleed, a metaphysical substance which cannot be held, merely on the basis that he's Superman; he can destroy the god of Evil just by the power of his voice; he can restore reality from a near singularity by using the light within him to power a wish for a happy ending. Final Crisis paints a picture of Superman as being essentially all-powerful. He is in these instances closer to the Biblical portrayal of Jesus, whose Second Coming is said to contain similar feats.

The second and more important difference is that the aforementioned Grecian heroes were rarely ever paragons of virtue (particularly Achilles and Heracles), let alone morally infallible as Morrison portrays Superman to be throughout All-Star Superman, Final Crisis, and Action Comics, or as the Gospel writer portray Jesus to be. Other Apostolic writings such as the Epistles of Paul are absolutely explicit in establishing as doctrine that Jesus never once committed any moral failing.

Most importantly, however, is in the absolute novelty of marrying these two concepts of perfect strength and perfect goodness. Judeo-Christian Monotheism's influence on Western culture has caused us to grow up believing these to be natural pairings, but outside of that religious tradition such conceptions are utterly unheard of. Merely look at ancient Greece, where religious ritual and philosophical ethics were two completely separate spheres of life with no overlap whatsoever.

When writers began to unite these elements into the character of Superman (this wasn't originally present in Siegel and Shuster's version), they were establishing a character which (in those specific respects) had no analogue in literature apart from Christ alone.

One could say the same for Jesus since many of the gods had an array of impressive powers such as been able to fly super strength control over the elements,and they fought various monsters.Just like Superman and other heroes have their own abilities and set of foes.

But Superman was originally not nearly as powerful as he is now,since his character has gone through many changes.

Battles of good and evil have been present in human history long before the bible and the creation of Jesus.

The early Inspiration for superheroes came from this notion and not a particular character like Jesus. And current characters and stories have progressed to involve much more complicated and interesting ideas.

#20 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha! Now this is funny. The thread has become a debate between Jesus and Superman. Who knew religion would find itself into the comic-infested bowels of the Vine?

Sincerely,

#21 Posted by Onemoreposter (4069 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Posted by Perfect Cell (3470 posts) - - Show Bio

With the Perfect Theme Song
#23 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Perfect Cell: yeah sure, Cell. I must have been watching DBZ upside down :D

what people have been saying about Jesus and Supes, it's quite true, several writers have made the analogy obvious throughout the years.

Still, I'd say the perfect hero would need something more.....

#24 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

how much prep?

#25 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Immortal777 said:

/thread

#26 Posted by Ben836 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

The battle smarts and Super Saiyan transformations, the power source and durability of Superman, the genius and thoughts of Tony Stark, the magic abilities of Buu, The speed of the flash (or Sonic), The hammer of Thor. Although I think Superman and Goku together would be more than perfect. The combat ability and mindset of Goku combined with the raw strength and power source of Superman(along with his super brain to help make up for Goku being a little on the slow side.) They would be perfect. I would call a potara fusion between them, Goku-man? Super-Kakarotto? Super Saiyan-man? Saiyatonian? Oooh wait I got it, Ultimate Goku-man. Imagine it, The power to pull the weight of a thousand Galaxies behind him, the speed to go Quadrillions of lightyears away and back before he even left, The ability to put out a star by breathing on it, The ability to flick away Doomsday, Omega Shenron, Ultraman, and Galactus without trying. He'd be absolutely unstoppable.

#27 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio

Me.

#28 Edited by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO:

The ideal super Hero:

+
#29 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

@Immortal777 said:

/thread

This. This times a million.

#30 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is not a god. Just an alien, and an illegal alien at that.

#31 Posted by Lvenger (20773 posts) - - Show Bio

@satyrgod: He has godlike powers though, has performed unbelievable feats yet chooses only to selflessly help humanity and serve as a symbol for everything postive in humanity. To hell with his illegal alien status considering all the good he's done.

#32 Posted by MonsterStomp (19371 posts) - - Show Bio

His name is Captain Atom.

#33 Posted by Xorion (446 posts) - - Show Bio
THE DOCTOR
#34 Posted by dngn4774 (3223 posts) - - Show Bio

His name would be Mary Sue. Nothing more boring than reading about a character without any flaws.

#35 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

Our Lord and Savior:

Son of God.

And Goddess.

#36 Posted by Esquire (3833 posts) - - Show Bio

@satyrgod: I'm curious. Are you referencing the teachings of a specific religion in the post above? I can't think of one that fits the (admittedly sparse) criteria of the perfect hero, born of both God and Goddess.

#37 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman already exists.

#38 Posted by Daaerk (204 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO said:

our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

I agree.

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Superman+Goku+Thor+Squirrel Girl+Wally West+Jean Grey+Deadpool+Valkyrie+Wonder Woman+Batman..

Strong, smart, sexy, PIS powers, fast, immortal...seems good to me.

@Strider92 said:

An omnipotent with a combination of Spider-man's and Superman's mentality.

LOL', love it.

Daaerk

#39 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Me.

I like this idea.

@InnerVenom123 said:

Superman already exists.

And this too.