The old school creators on todays heroes?

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skunkstein

I recently read an interview with Alan Moore on the new Watchmen comic books, and on the Watchmen movie... and to put in simply, he doesnt approve. So i started thinking:

What do you guys think Bob Kane, Jerry Siegel, Bill Finger, Gardner Fox, William Moulton Marston, Stan Lee and co would think of how their characters evolved and is looked at today? Im sure Stan Lee still has a lot to say.

If you compare the Batman of the 40s to the Batman of the 00s they are not that much alike anymore, the characters they once created have grown a lot throught the last 60-70 years.

Do you think they would aprove of the change, or would they be dissapointed of how much their original characters have changed through the years? And what do you think they would say on the whole comic book media today, with all the new heroes and villians?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Lvenger

Stan Lee doesn't keep up to date with modern comic books. When asked at the London Comic Convention (which I was there for) who he thought would win between the Avengers and the X-Men, he asked why they were fighting in the first place and that he hadn't heard anything about A vs X. Though admittedly he has been focusing on his Marvel studios work and his work at Boom Studios so he doesn't have the time anymore to keep up to date with Marvel as it is nowadays.

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Skunkstein

@Lvenger: Haha, i didnt know that.. thats funny, i would think that he would at least keep in check on Spider-Man once in a while. But respect that he still works, how old is he? 89, right? It would be great to meet him, too bad he doesnt pass by Scandinavia much.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lvenger

@Skunkstein: He knows Brian Michael Bendis and was partially aware of Miles Morales being Spider-Man in the Ultimate Universe when I had the honour to meet him at his hotel after the convention along with some other VIP guests. But he isn't up to date on the current state of the Marvel Universe. And I think he is 89 actually. It's amazing that he's still working extensively for Marvel studios and Boom! studios. And it was awesome meeting him. I even got to shake his hand and ask him a question! Are there Scandanavia comic conventions? You might get lucky if Stan ever decides to do a European tour.

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skunkstein

@Lvenger: Cool, ive heard that hes a really nice guy... Yep, Marvel's in his blood.

There is some small ones, no big profile names, but on the side of being a big fan of american comics im also a fan a few danish and swedish comics, ive had the chance of meeting the writers behind a few of those and even had made a personal drawing from one of the artists.

However, its very cheap, easy and fast to get to London from where i live, where there is a lot of different comic related stuff going on. Also im going to the states in a year or so, me and my friends will try to catch a comic-con either in London or the US at some point.

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

No one likes change in their own work. Even if it is for the best.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lvenger

@Skunkstein: Never heard of any Danish comic book companies though the convention I went to introduced me to a British company called Markosia so I guess if you search hard enough you can find anything almost anywhere. And I'd definitely recommend catching a US or UK comic con. My experience was terrific and once my exams are finished I plan to go to a couple more. And finally Stan really is a nice guy who's incredibly passionate about his work, Marvel Comics and the value comic books have to helping kids to read.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Deranged Midget

Stan Lee seems to appreciate what Marvel's done with his characters and their rising popularity into the film industry.

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skunkstein
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lvenger

@Skunkstein: Interesting. I love Thor the comic book character as well as Thor of Norse mythology so I'll have a look at those links. And you're a DBZ fan as well? You obviously have excellent tastes.

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skunkstein

@Lvenger: You should do that ;)

Well, thanks a lot !

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jnr6Lil

It's called development. If they have a problem with it, oh well.

Though I agree, why are they fighting in the first place

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Enosisik

I'm sure most would enjoy it but being that they were from a different era I'm sure there would be some conflict over the amount of sex and violence. For the most part not many comics have drastic change to the org concept but rather made the story mote life like and modern. I'm sure Jack Kirby would still be drawing giant monsters and Stan would still be writing in his ultra heroic style but at their ages they'd probably have a much broader range as far as perspectives of age and just so much life experience to go off of.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Enosisik said:

I'm sure most would enjoy it but being that they were from a different era I'm sure there would be some conflict over the amount of sex and violence. For the most part not many comics have drastic change to the org concept but rather made the story mote life like and modern. I'm sure Jack Kirby would still be drawing giant monsters and Stan would still be writing in his ultra heroic style but at their ages they'd probably have a much broader range as far as perspectives of age and just so much life experience to go off of.
Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Enosisik

Also there is a documentary about the history of comics and Stan Lee said himself that they wanted to do a lot of the stories that we are reading today but the comic code and government was trying so hard to destroy the industry that they had no choice but to write more politicaly correct (for the time) and kid friendly stories during that era. Another factor is that it just takes a long time to truly develop a great classic comic book character . At one book per month in the old days they just didn't have the time to build the deep relationships and vast universe wide interaction that you see in today's books. I'm sure if Stan,Jack and the rest had our computers and tech that we have today the the history of comics and cheracters would have been far different. Just think, with Jack Kirby's mind and talent and the way comics are made today I bet he would have been able to build a universe of original and solid characters that would dwarf both Marvel and Dc put together.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#16  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Ditko must be piiiissssseeedddddddd

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By BatteredArmor

I'd be pissed if I was them, I actually sympathize with Moore

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Enosisik: Doubt he could. Let's not get ahead of ourselves saying he could beat both Marvel & DC. He created Fourth World which are pretty much side characters in DC.