#1 Edited by Jordanstine (895 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, they are are called "underwear" or "undies" to be politicaly correct, but then sex sells and using panties is sure to get about 10 more hits from men ages 18-69. Sure as heck won't get the same hits if I wrote "briefs" instead.

With the DC's new release of the updated Batman costume revealing the Dark Knight finally coming to grips with his man-hood.  And just the semi-recent update of Wonder Woman's costume without the bathing suit look (although I'm still not thrilled about it), not to mention costume updates of the bathing suit less Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) a few years ago to boot, are we looking at the age of comic costume modernization? 

Marvel has done the same some years ago even before DC, with costume updates of Wolverine, Thor, and even Captain America.  Although Yellow Jacket still had his... he's now been updated as the new Wasp.

Q: Do you Golden/Silver Age fans like this modernization of a heroe's costume?  Or would you rather that they stick their original classic costumes?  What about you the younger generation?

A little too modern? Or just right for the time?
How long before Superman gets the update?   

I personally think he's one of the select few who shouldn't, simply because he's the original super hero, and those hero panties work well on him.
#2 Posted by The Mango (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine's costume looks pretty much the same as always I think. Captain America is a completely different person so his costume update doesn't count, if steve ever comes back as Cap he'll probably wear his classic costume again. I like Thor's new look because it actually resembles armor instead of just spandex.

Wonder Woman's new look won't last very long.

#3 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

they shouldn't try to update Superman's but if they want to put a new Super suit into the books i don't see why they can't give it to Connor

#4 Edited by Jordanstine (895 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Mango said:

"Wolverine's costume looks pretty much the same as always I think. Captain America is a completely different person so his costume update doesn't count, if steve ever comes back as Cap he'll probably wear his classic costume again. I like Thor's new look because it actually resembles armor instead of just spandex.  Wonder Woman's new look won't last very long. "

Well, for Wolverine all Marvel did pretty much was remove that blue underwear as seen in them X-Men Animated Series from the 90's.

Check out the 2 pictures: 

I mean just look at the big difference a panty does!  You could say Wolverine actually looks a lot older and even more mature!  No way a 5th grader would ever bully a no panty wearing Wolverine

Goes the same with Cyclops' too!        
#5 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1131 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be nice.  

I guess Superman could go with a little change 

#6 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12517 posts) - - Show Bio

I have watch so many redesigns of the Superman and Batman suit, but i mean, Spiderman is a Spider, Spiders dont use colors that say hey i am here and i am a Spider, well some Spiders do have those colors still, it looks bad.

#7 Posted by Omegaman10 (540 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Posted by Heml0ck (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Im not a big fan of the Modernization of Costumes or of char. for that matter. gets under my skin when that change a char. to the point it changes who they were altogether, Like turning a male char. female or a white char. black . If they just dont like the cahr. make a whole new char. stop changing the ones we have.
#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I do think that there's been a conscious effort by comic artists to move away from the 'underwear as outerwear' look.  It's more realistic & less laughable.  We really do need to keep character fashion up-to-date & believable. 

#10 Edited by ComicMan24 (147037 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the modernization. I mean who would do this in real life? Times have changed. So should costumes.And that is a very good costume for Superman.

#11 Posted by Winfield (116 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the modernisation. Especially when its just to make the costume more contemporary as opposed to a complete overhaul. In some cases I think it can improve the credibility of the characters

#12 Posted by gunjin (714 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
" I agree with the modernization. I mean who would do this in real life? Times have changed. So should costumes.And that is a very good costume for Superman. "
@Winfield said:
" I like the modernisation. Especially when its just to make the costume more contemporary as opposed to a complete overhaul. In some cases I think it can improve the credibility of the characters "
one of the best things about the ultimate marvel universe when it came out. minus the female costumes, still wholly impractical.
#13 Posted by ComicMan24 (147037 posts) - - Show Bio
@gunjin: I don't think that they will ever change them. But the situation is better than it was in the 90s.
#14 Posted by gunjin (714 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24: agreed, because almost nothing feels better than money in your pocket. videogames, and all other male predominant things are the same, as i'm sure you're aware and everyone else who's been alive in our kind of community. it still baffles me how in a game, guys will wear full armor, but a, i'm assuming smart and deadly woman, would be characterized in a bikini with a straight face.
#15 Posted by Deranged Midget (17968 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jordanstine said:
"
Yes, they are are called "underwear" or "undies" to be politicaly correct, but then sex sells and using panties is sure to get about 10 more hits from men ages 18-69. Sure as heck won't get the same hits if I wrote "briefs" instead.

With the DC's new release of the updated Batman costume revealing the Dark Knight finally coming to grips with his man-hood.  And just the semi-recent update of Wonder Woman's costume without the bathing suit look (although I'm still not thrilled about it), not to mention costume updates of the bathing suit less Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) a few years ago to boot, are we looking at the age of comic costume modernization? 

Marvel has done the same some years ago even before DC, with costume updates of Wolverine, Thor, and even Captain America.  Although Yellow Jacket still had his... he's now been updated as the new Wasp.

Q: Do you Golden/Silver Age fans like this modernization of a heroe's costume?  Or would you rather that they stick their original classic costumes?  What about you the younger generation?

How long before Superman gets the update?    I personally think he's one of the select few who shouldn't, simply because he's the original super hero, and those hero panties work well on him. "
Thats actually a wicked looking suit.
#16 Posted by Robyn 666 (22 posts) - - Show Bio
@Winfield said:

"I like the modernisation. Especially when its just to make the costume more contemporary as opposed to a complete overhaul. In some cases I think it can improve the credibility of the characters "

I agree... "in SOME cases" being the key words there. I think to often they can get a bit carried away with stuff. CLASSIC is just that, CLASSIC! And it doesnt always need a revamp. I just could not, would not accept Superman without the red and blue... *shakes head vigoruosly* uh uuh noooo way!!  
#17 Posted by 123422 (1010 posts) - - Show Bio

Modernization is a good thing sometimes, but for the really, really classic icons (case in point, Supes) it's better to let it stay that way

#18 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19759 posts) - - Show Bio
@Robyn 666 said:
I agree... "in SOME cases" being the key words there. I think to often they can get a bit carried away with stuff. CLASSIC is just that, CLASSIC! And it doesnt always need a revamp. I just could not, would not accept Superman without the red and blue... *shakes head vigoruosly* uh uuh noooo way!!   "

exactly . QFT .
#19 Posted by Jake Fury (19203 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the new Superman costume shown here.
#20 Posted by speedlgt (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

I am for some updates but rule #1 BLACK IS OFF LIMITS!!! we dont need a GI JOE movie style Justice league!  

NO BLACK in super hero uniforms!!! this is not tim burton and his wally land of candy!  when a costume gets redone in black it looks cheap easy and 100% lacks real artistic skill. 

the only hero that can use black is batman and this ONLY for the cowl everyone else bust out the primary colors and neon and lets DO THiS!
#21 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jordanstine said:

@The Mango said:

"Wolverine's costume looks pretty much the same as always I think. Captain America is a completely different person so his costume update doesn't count, if steve ever comes back as Cap he'll probably wear his classic costume again. I like Thor's new look because it actually resembles armor instead of just spandex. Wonder Woman's new look won't last very long. "

Well, for Wolverine all Marvel did pretty much was remove that blue underwear as seen in them X-Men Animated Series from the 90's.

Check out the 2 pictures:

I mean just look at the big difference a panty does! You could say Wolverine actually looks a lot older and even more mature! No way a 5th grader would ever bully a no panty wearing Wolverine!

Goes the same with Cyclops' too!

Old topic, but have to say, of all the costume changes, wolverines was one of the few that you can look back at and still think wasn't that bad. I don't think I can say that for any other former brief wearers other than Batman.

Young Justice Batman
#22 Edited by xybernauts (853 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jordanstine said:

How long before Superman gets the update? I personally think he's one of the select few who shouldn't, simply because he's the original super hero, and those hero panties work well on him.

I think they announced Superman's update around July 2011 in The New 52, a free preview book. And @Jordanstine: started the topic around Aug. 11, 2010. So basically it took, give or take, 11 months for them to update Superman's costume; from the date you started this topic.

the new Superman costume for the upcoming "Man of Steel" movie.

I think his update worked quite nicely. I think the updated costume is better then the original. It's the best Superman costume I've ever seen.

@drgnx said:

Old topic, but have to say, of all the costume changes, wolverines was one of the few that you can look back at and still think wasn't that bad. I don't think I can say that for any other former brief wearers other than Batman.

No, Wolverine's costume was bad too...

#23 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jordanstine said:

Yes, they are are called "underwear" or "undies" to be politicaly correct, but then sex sells and using panties is sure to get about 10 more hits from men ages 18-69. Sure as heck won't get the same hits if I wrote "briefs" instead.

With the DC's new release of the updated Batman costume revealing the Dark Knight finally coming to grips with his man-hood. And just the semi-recent update of Wonder Woman's costume without the bathing suit look (although I'm still not thrilled about it), not to mention costume updates of the bathing suit less Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) a few years ago to boot, are we looking at the age of comic costume modernization?

Marvel has done the same some years ago even before DC, with costume updates of Wolverine, Thor, and even Captain America. Although Yellow Jacket still had his... he's now been updated as the new Wasp.

Q: Do you Golden/Silver Age fans like this modernization of a heroe's costume? Or would you rather that they stick their original classic costumes? What about you the younger generation?

How long before Superman gets the update? I personally think he's one of the select few who shouldn't, simply because he's the original super hero, and those hero panties work well on him.

that superman design looks really really REALLY good

#24 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Also Psylocke is actually fully clothed for once