Posted by Squalleon (4607 posts) - - Show Bio

Well,I was looking through some DC titles for the past weak and noticed a common but great "mistake" amongst them!

LACK OF DIRECTION of course mediocre writers/artists are a problem too!

Most DC titles lack general direction and goals.Look at BLUE BEETLE,MISTER TERRIFIC.Both of them canceled titles which lacked general direction.The protagonists felt like they wander aimlessly making the book boring.

Another example is GREEN ARROW.Maybe one of the most popular DC heroes!Still his book is bad,PLAIN,SIMPLE BAD!No offence to the writers but i speak the truth!Since issue #1 Green Arrow was a bad title.The protagonist was just a brawler with no personality.I mean there wasn't even a pattern, a motive behind the story arcs,no goals or fallouts,simple fights with enemies who spawn out of nowhere.GA himself lacked motivation.Even in the origin issue (issue #0),GA was uninteresting.SUPERMAN was another title which suffered the same fate before Scott Lodbell took over!

Another title which has lost its goal is BATMAN&ROBIN.B&R had a great start with an interesting arc which filled the purpose and goals of the book,the releationship between BATMAN and ROBIN,after that B&R lost it since we barely saw this two together.

Let's see the other side now(THE DARK SIDE :-P):"The MOST successful DC titles"

EXAMPLES:

• BATMAN
  • WONDER WOMAN
  • GREEN LANTERN
  • SWAMP THING
  • ANIMAL MAN
  • ACTION COMICS
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE

All of them have a goal,the story arcs have a natural progression and leave an imprint of their existence,the characters feel alive,full grown personalities (OHH shut up JL haters i am trying to make a point here).Yes,the creative teams of the successful titles are great,i get it but don't forget that CATWOMAN had Judd Winnick a very good writer,SUPERMAN had George Perez,Nicola Scott,Keith Giffen,Dan Jurgens and still lacked interest.

Let me know if you agree and if you disagree tell me why?

#1 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

All of them have a goal,the story arcs have a natural progression and leave an imprint of their existence,the characters feel alive,full grown personalities (OHH shut up JL haters i am trying to make a point here).

Why would the "JL" haters get mad at you for saying they have personalities?

#2 Posted by Squalleon (4607 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake: Well JL gets a lot of hate for the Supes/WW releationship,for cyborg not being in the center of things recently we got the debate about which WW is better Azzarello's of Geoff's.

#3 Edited by Goldenboy_Prime (172 posts) - - Show Bio

: You can add Nightwing to the list of books/characters with no direction. I would really appreciate less Batman crossovers for the next year. It may help sales but it is ruining Nightwing.

#4 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goldenboy_Prime said:

: You can add Nightwing to the list of books/characters with no direction. I really appreciate less Batman crossovers for the next year. It may help sales but it is ruining Nightwing.

I agree, they need to stop doing crossovers for awhile

I hope the next riddler story isnt a crossover too

#5 Posted by Havenless (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

The mistake of DC was creating the perfect Superhero and them trying to convince everyone that he needs a team to beat villains he can already handle in his solo comic. I still think JLA would work so much better if it worked more like Goku and the Z warriors

#6 Posted by Goldenboy_Prime (172 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox: Same here. IIRC I thought that story was said to be dealing with the history of the Wayne family or something along those lines (G-man's podcast w/ Snyder). Which if true could still suck for me because I think Kate Kane, my favorite character, is suppose to be Bruce's cousin so she may get dragged into it... Of course I could be misremembering the podcast entirely.

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@Havenless: You mean everyone gets their ass beat while they wait on Superman to finish yelling so he can shoot an energy beam?

#8 Posted by SoA (4828 posts) - - Show Bio

@Havenless said:

The mistake of DC was creating the perfect Superhero and them trying to convince everyone that he needs a team to beat villains he can already handle in his solo comic. I still think JLA would work so much better if it worked more like Goku and the Z warriors

i thought they did humble superman in N52 but some writers still put him as way too powerful (lifting the weight of the planet for days on end )

#9 Posted by Havenless (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

What plot point does Aquaman or Cyborg genuinely fill, other than to be captured by the villain so Superman has to come save them?

#10 Edited by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Havenless said:

What plot point does Aquaman or Cyborg genuinely fill, other than to be captured by the villain so Superman has to come save them?

What are you talking about? Neither has been kidnapped so far

• Origin: Only Superman gets kidnapped close to the end of the arc
  • Two other issues: No one gets kidnapped
  • Villain's journey: No one from the League gets kidnapped, only Steve Trevor
  • Secret of the Cheetah: No one gets kidnapped
#11 Posted by Havenless (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

I meant it hypothetically. Joker and Lex Luthor and Cheetah team up with a bunch of C-grade superthugs and Superman needs 6 teammates to help him cope with this? Really? I think JLA would flow a lot better if WW led the team and Superman wasn't on it. Have him act as an outside force in the DC universe, with the usual teamup comic every year or so. I realize removing the most iconic character ever wouldn't go over so well with fans, but I do think the team would have more dramatic stories, better dialogue with a female lead, and just be more balanced.

#12 Posted by Charetter115 (475 posts) - - Show Bio

@Havenless: Having a bloodthirsty, danger seeking, warrior lead a team of Heroes who defend the world would be an upgrade to a world peace seeking boy-scout would be an improvement, how? For better dialouge you could put the Flash in charge but he does not suit the role either. the only people capable of leading the team are superman, aquaman, and batman, and let's face it, no one wants aquaman in charge, and the JL does not want Batman to be in charge because he has no powers. Superman is the only person capable of leading this team.....except for THE WONDER TWINS!!!!

#13 Posted by SmashBrawler (5731 posts) - - Show Bio

@Charetter115 said:

the only people capable of leading the team are superman, aquaman, and batman, and let's face it, no one wants aquaman in charge

Well I do :P

Seriously, I think it would be cool if Arthur was in charge.

#14 Posted by Charetter115 (475 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Aquaman, he is epic, but overall I don't think many people would like it. Wait! Here's an Idea, I will make a poll and then we will know.

#16 Posted by Squalleon (4607 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goldenboy_Prime said:

: You can add Nightwing to the list of books/characters with no direction. I would really appreciate less Batman crossovers for the next year. It may help sales but it is ruining Nightwing.

Actually i should and i thought about it :-P

#17 Posted by The Poet (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

nice point.

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33317 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Sethlol (1296 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting points.

#20 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe ask each superhero to give the purpose of life in the first page of each issue so we can all know what direction each title is going ?

#21 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually can say that B&R has some short of direction, still they kinda ruined it at the ending of the first arc, but nothing compared to the other examples.

Justice League..... it has a direction but it really feels weak (if it wasn't for Shazam...)

Nightwing it's kinda lossing direction since the end of "Night Of Owls" with luck "Death of the Family" will return some direction to it.

#22 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6824 posts) - - Show Bio

GOOD Points and Green Arrow is getting a new Writer, Jeff Lemire, Which will automatically be good.