#1 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi Everyone.

So, as you probably know, the Eaglemoss DC Chess Collection is a thing, and made a Batman set, and is currently selling a Justice League set. My thread about it is here. The Batman set is really good, and The Justice League set seems to be fairly popular with people.

Anyway, today I've found out that Eaglemoss is taking the next logical step, and starting a Marvel Chess Collection. And I'm actually quite disappointed with it. Instead of making sets based on specific parts of the Marvel Universe, like they had initially planned to do, they've gone with a mixed Marvel set.

A mixed set seems like not nearly as good an idea as individual Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man sets, as it excludes so many great characters.

Here's who's in the set:

White

Captain America - King

Black Widow - Queen

Iron Man - Bishop

Thor - Bishop

Spider-Man - Knight

Wolverine - Knight

Silver Surfer - Rook

Hawkeye - Rook

Daredevil - Pawn

Deadpool - Pawn

Elektra - Pawn

Storm - Pawn

Spider-Woman - Pawn

Beast - Pawn

Iceman - Pawn

Ghost Rider - Pawn

Black

Red Skull - King

Viper - Queen

Loki - Bishop

Mandarin - Bishop

Green Goblin - Knight

Doctor Octopus - Knight

Mephisto - Rook

Magneto - Rook

Electro - Pawn

Lizard - Pawn

Sabretooth - Pawn

Ultron - Pawn

Lady Deathstrike - Pawn

Bullseye - Pawn

Mystique - Pawn

Venom - Pawn

I really wish they had gone with seperate sets rather than mixing them all up. And some of the positions are baffling. Ultron just a pawn, Black Widow as queen?! I was really looking forward to Eaglemoss starting a Marvel Chess Collection, but looking at this, I really don't know if I want to collect it.

Anyone got any thoughts on this, positive or negative?

Scarlotte.

#2 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

Just seen the subscription gifts:

Board and binder.

Fantastic Four alternate white king queen and bishops, for premium subscribers.

#3 Edited by SC (12951 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I didn't like the other Eaglemoss collections finished because I like obscure characters and we managed to get in a few there oh but naturally I understand why such collections end. This looks interesting but the decision to go mixed rather than themed almost seems to be a sign there won't be as many additional sets. I mean if we had a Thor theme, we could get characters like Sif, Hela, Enchantress, Skurge, Valkyrie, Beta Ray Bill, and smaller characters would rely on characters like Thor and Loki who are a bit bigger. So you can have an Avengers set, Asgard set, X-Men set, Marvel Knights set **shrugs** I guess if there is a second set it will be made up of X-Men characters as the bulk? Oh my biggest positive is the costumes reflect the more modern era (as opposed to the older collection that often looked at the traditional look)

Thank you for sharing the info.

#4 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: There is to be a second set, but I imagine it'll be a long time before we find out what it is. I'd hoped for an Avengers set, but seeing as most of the white side have been Avengers, I don't know how likely that is. X-Men does seem more likely.

It just seems like they've gone almost exclusively with characters that will appeal to the general public, rather than the four themed sets they proposed before that would have kept comic book readers happier.

And no problem. Seemed like info that should be shared here. :)

#5 Edited by SC (12951 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Yeah which is a shame because an Avengers set would be great with Vision, Scarlet Witch, Ms Marvel, Wonder Man, Tigra, but the big name Avengers are already up there in set one. Unless maybe they are doing it so its interchangeable? Which will mean that you won't have full chess sets but more mix and match? Really just seems odd especially after the DC method which I think is a better way to balance the characters. I think I almost have to assume that Sif or X-Factor characters won't find a way to be made.

At least I can be happy that the Magneto and Rogue pieces will be on totally different boards! ^_^

#6 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: Exactly. It's unfortunate for people like me who don't follow these big name Avengers very closely. My favourites are Captain/Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Yellowjacket, Monica Rambeau, She-Hulk and Wonder Man. I think 6 of them were in earlier the proposed line-up, and there's always a chance there could have been all of them in an Avengers set, maybe. It's annoying that they've clearly put in Hawkeye and Black Widow because of the films, when really Hank Pym and Wasp should have been in their place. Though if I had my way, there wouldn't be a mixed set, so maybe I'm wrong.

By interchangable, do you mean that they could release pieces to replace certain ones to make a set into a themed one? Like release an alternate Hank Pym rook to replace Silver Surfer, and so on, as a method for making your Marvel set into an Avengers set? That would be kinda weird, but I suppose it could happen. I think the DC way was better, especially seeing as Batman has so many good villains.

I'm not very knowledgeable about X-Men, so I'm not sure what you mean.

#7 Posted by SC (12951 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Oh I mean interchangeable in the sense the next set might be just as random, but if a collector wanted to they could take characters from the next set and substitute them with set 1. So mix and match? Lets say that the next set has Ms Marvel and Spider-Woman and Cyclops, Rogue, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Gambit and so on, then someone could take characters from set two and put them with set one (swap Ms Marvel and Ice Man around for example since to some Ms Marvel fits better with Avengers and Iceman fits better with X-Men and so although Set 1 isn't the official Avengers set with new sets fans get the chance to customize.

So I agree with you Hank Pym vs Black Widow for example, and also agree DC system seems superior. Oh Rogue and Magneto was more of a joke thing (I wasn't a fan of their romantic pairing) so just yeah >_>

#8 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: Ah right, I get what you mean now. How annoying would it be if the positions didn't work out and you had three white bishops that you really loved? :P I have seen some people talk about doing something similar with the DC sets, like someone said that they were going to put Green Arrow into their Batman set.

#9 Edited by lykopis (10752 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Elektra -- adore her -- but why would she get a spot and Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) not?

The only character (I think, I could be wrong) that hasn't been in a movie of some sort is Spider-Woman. I guess that is the consumer group they are targeting. :/

#10 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I think apart from Spider-Woman, Ultron is the only one who hasn't been in a film, which perhaps explains why he's only a pawn, when he arguably could be king.

I am glad to see Spider-Woman, but I'm kind of confused as to how she ended up in the set. The lack of Hulk seems strange too.

I really wish they had put Carol in, but the general public probably won't know who she is. Considering the Elektra film is apparently really bad(haven't seen it), I don't get why she would be so appealing to non-comic readers.

#11 Posted by lykopis (10752 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose:

Oh yes, that's right, Ultron!

I haven't seen Elektra's movie either but yeah--the film apparently was pretty horrid.

OMG -- I didn't even realize the Hulk was missing! O_O

#12 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I know, right? If it's supposed to be a big movie cash in, surely Hulk should be the other rook instead of Silver Surfer.

Maybe he'll be in set 2, if it's something it'd make sense for him to be in.

#13 Posted by LightPsyche (77 posts) - - Show Bio

http://marvel-chess.com/

I know this is an old thread, but it appears as if the roster in the OP is different than the roster in the homepage of their website; at the very top of their page, if you click on "the collection" tab, the characters on that page make up the roster that the OP gave. The roster of Heroes and Villains in the homepage match an Avengers theme (with some villains being Spider-Man adversaries).

The most accurate roster will be the one found in the interactive flip-book; on any page, scroll to the bottom and you will come across a red box that says "look inside". Click it, scroll to the second page of the book and you will see the roster (of the heroes side).

I prefer the Avengers theme much more than random figurines being assigned random pieces with no theme.

#14 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Awesome set. Once again wish I had the money for these chess sets. It is weird to me though that they went with Red Skull rather then Doom as the Black King.

#15 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@moonchilde: They have him as an alternate black king in the premium subscribers gift pack, with Malice, Super Skrull and Annihilus as queen and bishops, with The Fantastic Four as white alternate king queen and bishops. :)

@lightpsyche:Wow you're right! They seem to have changed the set for the better. :D I may consider getting it now. It's not my ideal Avengers set, but it has some of my favourites. Carol as queen! :D

Kinda sad to see Spider-Woman and Mystique removed though. I wonder if there's going to be a separate X-Men set considering they removed most of them from the proposed set.

#16 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@moonchilde: They have him as an alternate black king in the premium subscribers gift pack, with Malice, Super Skrull and Annihilus as queen and bishops, with The Fantastic Four as white alternate king queen and bishops. :)

@lightpsyche:

Wow you're right! They seem to have changed the set for the better. :D I may consider getting it now. It's not my ideal Avengers set, but it has some of my favourites. Carol as queen! :D

Kinda sad to see Spider-Woman and Mystique removed though. I wonder if there's going to be a separate X-Men set considering they removed most of them from the proposed set.

Awesome! It doesn't look like it's possible to subscribe though if you live outside the UK or Ireland. :(

#17 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@moonchilde: I think the DC Chess Collection was made available for subscription in Australia and South Africa if that helps. I imagine they would offer that for this set too. Maybe they could make the subscription gifts available a little later or something.

#18 Posted by LightPsyche (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@lightpsyche:

Wow you're right! They seem to have changed the set for the better. :D I may consider getting it now. It's not my ideal Avengers set, but it has some of my favourites. Carol as queen! :D

Awesome! It doesn't look like it's possible to subscribe though if you live outside the UK or Ireland. :(

For USA subscribers (such as myself), the local comic book shops will have the collection available; I believe that not only as back issues, but as a subscription as well (I sure do hope so, that way, I can get the sub gifts and for the premium sub, the Fantastic Four alternate leads).

#19 Edited by LightPsyche (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose:

I think this is a humble set of Avengers (actually, I'm only 90% sure that this is an Avengers set); personally, I love the selection anywho. I'm not sure what the most accurate roster for the villains is, but the refreshed list is considerably better than the old (still too many Spider-Man villains, though; Doc Ock and GG are more than music to my ears, yet I'm questioning Venom, Electro, and Lizard in the initial "Avengers" set, but I''l take whatever it is that they give me.)

The site has mentioned that the collection will comprise of two sets, so that is 64 playing pieces right there (excluding specials and alternates).

#20 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightpsyche: It looks like they wanted to throw in as many Spider-Man villains as possible to make up for not making a dedicated Spider-Man set, like was originally planned. It had a great villains side, but the heroes side was a bit weak. It would have been nice if they been able to spread the characters out into the 4 originally planned sets, in which case the Avengers would have been:

Avengers: Heroes
• Black Knight
• Black Panther
• Black Widow
• Captain America
• Falcon
• Hawkeye
• Hulk
• Iron Man
• Quicksilver
• Scarlet Witch
• Thor
• Tigra
• Vision
• Wasp
• Wonder Man
• Yellowjacket

Avengers: Villains
• Abomination
• Absorbing Man
• Baron Zemo
• Enchantress
• Executioner
• Grim Reaper
• Kang
• Klaw
• Loki
• Man-Ape
• Mandarin
• MODOK
• Morgan Le Fay
• Red Skull
• Thanos
• Ultron

I'd make a few tweaks to it, particularly putting Captain(Ms.) Marvel in there, but apart from that, it's a pretty good Avengers set.

#21 Posted by LightPsyche (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightpsyche: It looks like they wanted to throw in as many Spider-Man villains as possible to make up for not making a dedicated Spider-Man set, like was originally planned. It had a great villains side, but the heroes side was a bit weak. It would have been nice if they been able to spread the characters out into the 4 originally planned sets, in which case the Avengers would have been:

Avengers: Heroes

• Black Knight

• Black Panther

• Black Widow

• Captain America

• Falcon

• Hawkeye

• Hulk

• Iron Man

• Quicksilver

• Scarlet Witch

• Thor

• Tigra

• Vision

• Wasp

• Wonder Man

• Yellowjacket

Avengers: Villains

• Abomination

• Absorbing Man

• Baron Zemo

• Enchantress

• Executioner

• Grim Reaper

• Kang

• Klaw

• Loki

• Man-Ape

• Mandarin

• MODOK

• Morgan Le Fay

• Red Skull

• Thanos

• Ultron

I'd make a few tweaks to it, particularly putting Captain(Ms.) Marvel in there, but apart from that, it's a pretty good Avengers set.

This was the original set, or is this your dream set? Regardless, I like the selection...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grvh0tVodAM

Looks like they have the first 12 done; I want those Spider-Man and Kang pieces!

#22 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightpsyche: It's an old planned set that was listed in the magazine for French trial copies of the Spider-Man set pieces. The other sets planned were:

Fantastic 4: Heroes
• Black Bolt
• Crystal
• Franklin Richards
• Human Torch
• Impossible Man
• Invisible Woman
• Lockjaw
• Luke Cage
• Medusa
• Mr Fantastic
• Ms Marvel (Sharon Ventura)
• Namor
• Nova (Frankie Raye)
• She-Hulk
• Silver Surfer
• Thing

Fantastic 4: Villains
• Annihilus
• Blastaar
• Diablo
• Doctor Doom
• Mad Thinker
• Malice
• Mole Man
• Psycho Man
• Puppet Master
• Red Ghost
• Ronan
• Super Skrull
• Terrax
• Thundra
• Trapster
• Wizard

Spider-Man: Heroes
• Arana
• Aunt May
• Black Cat
• Daredevil
• Doctor Strange
• Firestar
• Flash Thompson
• Gwen Stacy
• Harry Osborn
• J Jonah Jameson
• Man-Wolf
• Mary Jane Watson
• Prowler
• Puma
• Ricochet
• Spider-Man

Spider-Man: Villains
• Carnage
• Carrion
• Chameleon
• Doctor Octopus
• Electro
• Green Goblin
• Hydroman
• Kraven
• Lizard
• Mysterio
• Sandman
• Scorpion
• Shocker
• Symbiote
• Venom
• Vulture

X-Men: Heroes
• Angel
• Banshee
• Beast
• Bishop
• Colossus
• Cyclops
• Emma Frost
• Gambit
• Iceman
• Jean Grey
• Jubilee
• Nightcrawler
• Professor X
• Rogue
• Storm
• Wolverine

X-Men: Villains
• Arcade
• Black Tom Cassidy
• Blob
• Bloodscream
• Brood
• Deathbird
• Destiny
• Juggernaut
• Lady Deathstrike
• Magneto
• Mesmero
• Mystique
• Pyro
• Sabretooth
• Toad
• Vertigo

My ideal set can be found here.

Those pieces do look good. I wonder when the set will be available.

#23 Edited by LightPsyche (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Oh my, I would've preferred these 4 sets so much more, but I'm a sucker for collections anywho. Let's just hope that if Eaglemoss is subject to change that they will restore this idea.

I think that if they are impressed with the sales figures of the first two sets, then they will expand; they may make more alternates and specials that will kind of make up a third set, who knows.

Their website is updating the accurate roster and their website has a launch trailer for the collection; alternately, here is the link to that YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_2IBJSEf8

Their Facebook page is getting new posts daily; I think this collection is about to start (issues released every other Thursday, hopefully starting today).

#24 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightpsyche: It seems quite possible. It could be seen as more or less likely if they decide to make a third set for the DC Chess Collection.

If that trailer is there, maybe it is out already. I'll have to have a look in some shops.

#25 Edited by LightPsyche (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose:

Here are the first 6 so far:

1. Spider-Man (White Knight)
  2. Iron Man (White Bishop)
  3. Wolverine (White Knight)
  4. Loki (Black Bishop)
  5. Daredevil (White Pawn)
  6. Captain America (White King)

I went to my comic book shop (USA) and they said that the first two will launch on January, the next two on February, and I didn't quite catch if they said that the next two in March or in April. Most websites around the web that are pre-ordering the collection will offer the same release dates, but maybe the UK already has the collection available, I'm not sure.

I'm trying to post images, but it is not allowing me to do so, so here is one site with the images (click on the links below the image to view the other pieces)...

http://www.manofactionfigures.com/products/marvel-chess-figurine-6-captain-america-white-king-eaglemoss

#26 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightpsyche: I think I heard that the U.K. gets the DC Collection issues earlier than America, but maybe they've changed it so they all get released at the same time.

#27 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Random aside - L'Invisible is a much cooler code or superhero name than Invisible Woman.

#28 Posted by LightPsyche (77 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightpsyche: I saw that today. I'll be going out for a copy as soon as I can. :)

The pieces look good in that video.

#30 Posted by zewler (2 posts) - - Show Bio

That sider man set was a bit weak on the hero side I'm sure they punisher would be able to slot in the white side !!! I would love a complete x men set :)

#31 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

I've just seen that there are alternate white rooks coming. Hulk and She-Hulk. :)

#32 Posted by PowerHerc (83251 posts) - - Show Bio

The pieces look really cool.

#33 Posted by LightPsyche (77 posts) - - Show Bio

I've just seen that there are alternate white rooks coming. Hulk and She-Hulk. :)

Awesome; people where wondering why there was no Hulk piece, but this is good enough!

Gah...3 months waiting for my first piece and my retailer has received no pieces as of yet...ooohhhh I'm sooo mad!!! XD

#34 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightpsyche: It's nice to have the option to choose your rooks, but it's kind of unfortunate if you're a fan of all of them. I'm alright though, as I'll swap Black Panther for She-Hulk.

That sucks having to wait. Have they at least given you a date to wait for?

#35 Edited by impossibilly (885 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought the entire Batman chess set from Eaglemoss, but stopped there because I was running out of shelf space to display them. This Marvel set does look quite nice. If I knew this Marvel set was coming when the Batman set began, I may have held out for this.

#36 Edited by LightPsyche (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose:

No date given; only the dates that they are available, but they do not translate to dates that they will ship overseas from G.B.

It think Eaglemoss is always short-handed in the products that they make and will second-prioritize their products to non-subscribers; having said that, if you have no subscription to any service, then their products are only guaranteed to non-subscribers if their are none to be given to subscribers at the moment; well that is just perfect for me, seeing as how subscriptions aren't allowed in the U.S. and many Eire and U.K. subscribers will get theirs way before me.

I kind of want to move to the U.K. I'll show them not to hand out pieces only when it is convenient for them! XD

#37 Posted by zewler (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I can only assume the next special is two black rooks ... Abomination might be one

#38 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been seeing this list posted around, so I thought I should put it here. The second set of the collection, unsurprisingly is X-Men:

I'm not a big enough fan to get this whole set, but there's definitely a few pieces in it that I'll swap into my Avengers set. :)

Anyone looking forward to this?

Edit: Oh, there's apparently also going to be a Rocket and Groot double pack as alternate white knights.

#39 Edited by KeystoneKC (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: where did you come across that list? I remember there being another board discussing this, but I must have killed the braincell that was storing it's location.

Oh, and upthread you mentioned wanting to swap your Black Panther rook for the She-Hulk from the special. Is there a secret underground trading cartel out there that I haven't found? I've been looking for one & would appreciate directions. Thanks.

#40 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@keystonekc: The X-Men list? A few people have posted it on the Facebook page. Apparently it comes from Eaglemoss in emails, so it appears to be official. :)

I just meant that I was going to use the She-Hulk instead of Black Panther. The pieces seem to generally be quite readily available. Are you outside the U.K.? I think they're released a little later in other countries.

#41 Posted by KeystoneKC (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: I'm in the USA, and am late to the party. I must have been asleep & missed the first 2 DC sets completely, so I'm building my own Avengers vs Justice League set. This is the first I've heard of the X-Men pieces, so I may need to add a third team.

As far as trading, I'm just cheap. I picked up a few duplicates, when the price was right, & hoped to swap 'em for pieces that I still need. That special "Hulk pair" also has me stymied because I want Hulk, but have no use for She-Hulk. Just thinking out loud...