Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

Okay, as obvious as this sounds, I've never seen a thread that STRICTLY dealt with answers on this: Why on Earth would they make Joker have his face cut off, then rigged back on? I doubt it's just for shits and giggles. I think his face has something KEY to the plot that we are all overlooking. What does it symbolize? Why would he want to do it? What tricks would it allow him to play? The whole face-thing clearly has something big to do with the story, since that's an enourmous character change with his face literally rotting off.

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Captain_Yesterday

I agree.

Joker may be crazy, but his not batsh!t crazy(no pun attended) There is a method to his madness and that is something only a completely gonzo person would do. Unless... there's another reason/purpose behind it.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Probably just so this scene could happen:

No Caption Provided
z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By z3ro180

@ImTheDamnBatman Joker wanted a make over.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By the_tree

I think it was Tony Daniel's idea, and then when he got taken off of Detective Comics, DC just made Scott Snyder roll with it.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#6  Edited By TheCannon

I have a theory which would make it important for Joker not to have his face...

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By EMH_Bruce
@TheCannon: Which theory? o.o *curious*
BiMor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BiMor

@TheCannon: come on you cant tease us, tell us.

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Autopsad

Maybe it's not the Joker, that's what some of us think, that is until Batman #17

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#10  Edited By TheCannon

@BiMor:

It's highly unlikely, but it's just a little thing I thought of:

What if it wasn't really Joker?

Joker voluntarily has Dollmaker cut his face off (that's what I've read. Haven't personally read Detective Comics, but that's what I've read). Joker disappears for years, comes back with his face tied to his head with a belt.

Am I the only one who doesn't think this adds up right?

Why would Joker voluntarily have Dollmaker cut his face off? Was it so that way someone could pose as Joker to distract Batman and the Family while Joker was doing the real threat?

Hush successfully posed as Bruce Wayne before the New 52 (I now know it was not in the Batman: Hush story, but I know he has done it before), so why couldn't he pose as Joker now? He still hasn't been reintroduced.

I know this is highly unlikely, but still. Like I said, just a theory.

ghostsuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ghostsuck

leather face

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I had always thought Joker had his face cut off because he wanted to "retire" but something happened to him while he was out of the picture that sent him even more over the edge and just had to come back to funk that bat-fam up once and for all.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By JakeN7

@TheCannon said:

@BiMor:

Joker voluntarily has Dollmaker cut his face off (that's what I've read. Haven't personally read Detective Comics, but that's what I've read). Joker disappears for years, comes back with his face tied to his head with a belt.

Why would Joker voluntarily have Dollmaker cut his face off? Was it so that way someone could pose as Joker to distract Batman and the Family while Joker was doing the real threat?

Hush successfully posed as Bruce Wayne before the New 52 (I now know it was not in the Batman: Hush story, but I know he has done it before), so why couldn't he pose as Joker now? He still hasn't been reintroduced.

That was in Paul Dini's run. It was colloquially referred to as "the saga of Tommy Elliot." It consists of four trades:

1. Batman: Heart of Hush
  2. Batman: Streets of Gotham - Hush Money
  3. Batman: Streets of Gotham - Leviathan
  4. Batman: Streets of Gotham - House of Hush

Tommy had decided to take advantage of Bruce Wayne's supposed death or disappearance by surgically altering his face to match Bruce's. It wasn't even that successful either, he wasn't able to convince anyone remotely close to the real Bruce. Selina knew right away. These stories take place after Final Crisis and Battle For the Cowl, and before The Return of Bruce Wayne and Flashpoint.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@JakeN7 said:

@TheCannon said:

@BiMor:

That was in Paul Dini's run. It was colloquially referred to as "the saga of Tommy Elliot." It consists of four trades:

1. Batman: Heart of Hush
  2. Batman: Streets of Gotham - Hush Money
  3. Batman: Streets of Gotham - Leviathan
  4. Batman: Streets of Gotham - House of Hush

Tommy had decided to take advantage of Bruce Wayne's supposed death or disappearance by surgically altering his face to match Bruce's. It wasn't even that successful either, he wasn't able to convince anyone remotely close to the real Bruce. Selina knew right away. These stories take place after Final Crisis and Battle For the Cowl, and before The Return of Bruce Wayne and Flashpoint.

He also appeared as Bruce Wayne in Gotham City Sirens #4, which was also written by Paul Dini. Selina wasn't convinced in that either.

No Caption Provided
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By John Valentine

For now, I'm thinking this face removal just represents another evolution/stage to Joker's character. However, not ruling out the idea that it's not the real Mr J.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Lvenger

I agree there's a method to Joker's madness here but I hope it is actually him and not an imposter. It better not be Alfred.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By JakeN7

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Ah. Thanks. I've been meaning to read Gotham City Sirens for a while now.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@JakeN7 said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Ah. Thanks. I've been meaning to read Gotham City Sirens for a while now.

No problem. I'd recommend it, it's a good series.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Mucklefluga

@ImTheDamnBatman: What if Joker has cut off Alfred's face off after making him temporarily blind. Then Joker attaches his face to Alfred's head permanently. That seems like something crazy Scott would do?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By TDK_1997

We'll see.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm yelling "THOU ART NO JOKER!" at every single panel he's in, let's see if I'm right...

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#22  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

wait til Wednesday........

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By reignmaker

@The_Tree said:

I think it was Tony Daniel's idea, and then when he got taken off of Detective Comics, DC just made Scott Snyder roll with it.

Tony Daniel...

Worst run ever. My only regret is that I waited around, thinking it would magically get better.