The Future of Damian is Beyond Us

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 86

Edited By RavenVice01

First of all, I apologize for my rude candor regarding Nolan's vision of Batman and his possible involvement with future DC films (which I hope doesn't happen but anyway). Some users have been wondering about the fate of Damian Wayne in the future. As a Batman Beyond fanatic, I think this turn of events will be good because Damian Wayne is a conflicted anti-hero like Jason Todd. Its too bad that the Hush Beyond story arc involved a clone of Dick Grayson posing as the new Hush. It would have made a bigger impact if Damian was the one locked up in Cadmus Labs after having Gotham wired to explode in Batman 666. Hush Beyond would go on and on about calling Terry McGinnis a pretender of the real Batman like the mantle of the Batman should have fallen to him or should be returned to him. The whole issue about Damian and Connor Kent all grown up and replacing Batman and Superman was kind of a good idea but the chronology was off for me and akward because Damian was training Terry instead of Bruce. Terry McGinnis' parents would be the same age as Damian right now and having Terry trained by Damian who would be no older than his own father in the future, would be redundant. That kind of takes away from the bond of old Batman sharing his war stories with the younger, inexperienced Batman of the future.

Anyhow, if the Red Hood could turn Batman's world upside down, imagine what Batman's own son could do. People will be glad to see Damian's old sadistic self resurrected by the Lazarus Pits (any other form of resurrection would probably be viewed as unoriginal like cloning or another reality altering event which I think all of us are getting tired of). I just fear the worst for Tim Drake because Damian has always had it in for him. Jason will probably want to eliminate Damian since neither one cares for one another. Dick and Bruce would be the only targets that Damian would have a tough time trying to kill. True, Damian didn't leave this world on bitter terms with his father or surrogate brother but it would make for a great story arc if Damian becomes a villain. What do you think?

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By reignmaker

If Damian makes a return at all I think it will have to be within the next 5 years. It took a lot to sell the comic readers on the whole "Batman is a daddy" thing. Fortunately this weirdness became a strength under the direction of Morrison and Tomasi. The more time passes however, the more that will become a negative again. I can only see DC revisiting that plot-line if Damian's established fan base is still in tact (and clamoring for his return).

More likely than not, Damian will be retconned from existence and the whole Grant Morrision run will be treated as something outside of Bat cannon.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By the_tree

It would not make for a great story if Damian came back and became a villain. That'd just be stupid Under the Hood rehash. Most fans of Damian, myself included, would be pissed.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 86

@the_tree: I had sometime to go over my blogs and saw your comment about Damian. I think Damian as a villain would play for Batman Beyond rather than the current New 52 story line because I will admit nobody wants another Under the Red Hood rehash. However, you have to admit Damian still harbors hatred and jealously towards Tim Drake and at one point, even went up against Jason Todd. Damian feels that neither Tim or Jason are fit to be fighting alongside Bruce or for that matter should even be considered the Sons of Batman.

I mean imagine for a second. Damian is put into isolation by Cadmus or Argus for lets say two decades then he breaks free. Damian at first is amazed by the Gotham of the Future then he sees the usurper...Terry McGinnis wearing the mantle of the Batman. A title that should have been his or his to maintain.