The downfall of the Superior Spider-Man

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By noj

Dan Slott is coming dangerously close to losing me with the Superior Spider-Man. Ive been a supporter of Slotts run since Big Time. I really enjoyed seeing Peter's adventures and ESPECIALLY his work at Horizon Labs. I grew to really like these characters, Grady, Max, Sanjay Uatu ect. It really felt like these guys were going to be the biggest addition to Spider-Man supporting characters in years.

When the now infamous 700 hit I was apprehensive but I rolled with the punches and was really liking Superior Spider-Man. For all his faults Octavius was a compelling character and in many ways WAS a Superior Spider-Man. He was breaking new ground at Horizon, improving his crime fighting, even going back to school for his doctorate and getting a new girlfriend in the process. But lately its all falling apart. He has too much on his plate. He's become an insufferable jerk to everyone around him instead of being a tolerable and even slightly enjoyable one.

The straw that almost broke the camels back for me was in the latest issue 18. It was a small moment the look on Max Modell's face when he was practically begging "Peter" not to take his equipment from the lab as it would cause trouble for everyone. He then said something along the lines of "You arent acting like the man I hired". Thats when it hit me. Doc Ock was truly ruining everything Peter had built up in the past couple years. His friendships with his new co workers, his relationships with his loved ones, and his reputation amongst the hero community.

I understand what Slott is doing. This is the beginning of the Superior Spider-Man's downfall. His hubris is about to come back and bite his ass. Hes about to learn the hard way why Peter was never able to balance his social, work and hero lives. Its just a shame Slott isnt writing an Ock that is as balanced as when his run first started. Ever since Peter's "ghost" was eliminated Ock has really lost it. Dan Slott built up this character that I was really enjoying a villain who was learning to be a hero and then pulled out the rug and hes back to being nearly a straight up villain. I'm going to keep reading but I hope something happens soon. Sorry for the long past lol, just something I felt I needed to say.