Posted by 14NC3 (1753 posts) 10 months, 19 days ago

Poll: The Death of Gwen Stacy vs The Killing Joke (46 votes)

The Death of Gwen Stacy 22%
The Killing Joke 50%
I just want to see the results 28%

There is no denying both of these stories are the greatest comic book stories of all time. So I'm going to ask you probably one of the toughest decisions you'll ever make in your life: Which one do you like more? The greatest spider-man story or the greatest batman story? CHOOSE

#1 Posted by 14NC3 (1753 posts) - - Show Bio

All those who voted:

Please give a reason why you chose either death of gwen stacy or killing joke

#2 Posted by fil123 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

@14nc3: the death of gwen was ruined for me after the whole norman banging her thing

#3 Edited by 14NC3 (1753 posts) - - Show Bio

@fil123 said:

@14nc3: the death of gwen was ruined for me after the whole norman banging her thing

god that was disgusting.

Anyone else?

#4 Posted by kcjr (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Death of Gwen Stacy. I admit I'm a biased Spidey fan. However, the significance of a villian actually killing the hero's girlfriend at that time was unheard of.

By the way, yes, the "revelation" of Norman knocking her up was the worse thing ever in Spidey comics. Even worse than OMD.

#5 Edited by 14NC3 (1753 posts) - - Show Bio

@kcjr:

Death of Gwen Stacy. I admit I'm a biased Spidey fan. However, the significance of a villian actually killing the hero's girlfriend at that time was unheard of.

By the way, yes, the "revelation" of Norman knocking her up was the worse thing ever in Spidey comics. Even worse than OMD.

Thanks for the honesty and for giving a reason.

Come on, aren't there any Killing Joke fans out there??

#6 Posted by 14NC3 (1753 posts) - - Show Bio

bump.

#7 Posted by sinestro_GL (3127 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted TKJ because of the impact that it had on the characterization of the Joker

#8 Posted by comicbookfan93 (403 posts) - - Show Bio

For myself and I'm sure many others the Killing Joke is a definitive batman story up there with year one except this is the definitive joker story

#9 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6120 posts) - - Show Bio

See results

#10 Edited by Pr0metheus (5089 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6120 posts) - - Show Bio

@fil123: I want Emma Stone to do this lol.

#12 Posted by fil123 (516 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

The Killing Joke is overrated.

#14 Posted by Black_Arrow (2956 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing Joke is better written but I think that stoles concepts of Watchmen.

#15 Edited by jeanespinosa21 (217 posts) - - Show Bio

The killing joke is vey interesting because many people don't know in the last panel batman kills the joker! It is as close as we get to a joker origin story but still for a book to be so great that very few people realize it's an else world story is something truly special.

#16 Edited by Knightfall225 (1988 posts) - - Show Bio

Its cool how The Joker always brings up how he paralized Babs

#17 Posted by batmannflash (6215 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved The Killing Joke because it's a great origin for the Joker. It's sad (like Death of Gwen Stacy too) and very poetic and well-written.

#18 Posted by Gambit474 (1467 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm..Gwen's death gets me. For us we saw Spidey always being cocky and feeling as if he could just easily save the day..Then all of a sudden he realizes how quickly things could go wrong. I think Gwen's death hit him on more then one level besides her having been his girlfriend. If there was any moment of out Peter's history that I could pick as one of his most influential occurrences..I'd have to say Gwen's death

#19 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: no it's NOT... it is a compelling origin story, with a creepy, scary and clever plot featuring Batman's most notorious villain. And it had PERFECT art from the legendary Brian Bolland. Alan Moore, Brian Bolland, Batman, the Joker... if that's not the recipe for a GREAT comic book in your eyes, you should get another hobby.

#20 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by SOG7dc (7021 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing Joke. its one of the absolute best comics ever written. its poetic. its reflective. its emotional. it makes the joker a sympathetic character. it has a message, rather dark but still. and the "killing joke" itself was very very good food for thought.....and that story never lets you stop thinking about it.....and the bck up?????!!!! Killing Joke slaughterstomps