k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@tglass1976 said:

Before Iron Man and 2005's Batman Begins, the comic book genre was pretty lackluster.

By 2005 we'd already had the first 2 X-Men and Spider-Man movies. Wouldn't exactly call that lackluster.

I am looking forward to seeing what DC does with these movies and despite being a big fan of Superman and Flash, I find myself more excited for Suicide Squad than anything.

I'd say the next sentence is pretty important:

"For every okay to pretty good movie, there were several forgettable ones."

I'm not saying there weren't good comic book movies before the likes of Batman Begins or Iron Man --that's obviously not true. But there were far more bad-mediocre ones and the level of attention/respect the genre received was much smaller. There's obviously a handful of exceptions and there's several pre-2005 CBMs I enjoy a lot, but there's a lot of not so great ones, too. Regardless of how you feel about some modern CBMs, you can at least tell they're often putting much more effort into them and the bar has been raised.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By Captain13

@k4tzm4n said:

@tglass1976 said:

Before Iron Man and 2005's Batman Begins, the comic book genre was pretty lackluster.

By 2005 we'd already had the first 2 X-Men and Spider-Man movies. Wouldn't exactly call that lackluster.

I am looking forward to seeing what DC does with these movies and despite being a big fan of Superman and Flash, I find myself more excited for Suicide Squad than anything.

I'd say the next sentence is pretty important:

"For every okay to pretty good movie, there were several forgettable ones."

I'm not saying there weren't good comic book movies before the likes of Batman Begins or Iron Man --that's obviously not true. But there were far more bad-mediocre ones and the level of attention/respect the genre received was much smaller. There's obviously a handful of exceptions and there's several pre-2005 CBMs I enjoy a lot, but there's a lot of not so great ones, too. Regardless of how you feel about some modern CBMs, you can at least tell they're often putting much more effort into them and the bar has been raised.

Very true. I think the 1989 Batman was good, the first two Raimi Spider-men were great, and the first 2 X-films were great, but there were a lot of stinkers back then. I think prior to the Batman Begins and the MCU, there were a higher percentage of stinkers than there are now. I don't think Hollywood has really started taking superhero films seriously until recently. Raimi and Nolan showed Hollywood that you could make these films grounded in reality while embracing superheroics, and I think the MCU showed Hollywood the value of crossovers. Apparently before the MCU Feige was trying to get the Singer X-films to crossover with the Raimi Spider-man films, but the studios wouldn't have it. Funny how things work out. :)

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I love how people always play the "DC is rushing" card. It's complete bs, as if you know what's going on in the WB offices.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

This schedule is clearly missing the Secret Six Part I-III (2021-25)!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By Zeeguy91

@redbird3rdboywonder said:

@gjgp27: How so, The Rock would be a great John Stewart, having him play Black Adam is just like having T.I. in Ant-Man right, it's just weird

Note: I also love how everyone conveniently forgets that Thomas Jane's Punisher movie(which was really good) came out in 04

Um...are you blind, dude? You have that totally flipped. It would be weird if he was playing John Stewart. He looks nothing like him. But he looks sooooo much like Black Adam. Plus, John Stewart is probably not the Green Lantern that they'll be going with, anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100th post.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By COBRAMORPH

WW will be just as much a disappointment as Superman movies are. Part of the reason why Marvel has done so will is that their movies are not as well known & Iconic as & genre defining as DC's list is. All of these DC A-listers , & its the same with Spiderman & Wolverine movies, they are too big, & can NOT deliever on what is expected of them.

DC should forget about movies with Superman & replace him with Capain Marvel. Use GreenArrow instead of Batman. Replace WW with Starfire. & I am just disapointed in the Flash show, & do NOT want yet ANOTHER barry Aleen, use us (Max)Mercury using the Flash name & a blue & white version of the Flash suit. Use Guy Gardner & just have him be a sexist ass to Starfire.

& NO Sucide Squad. Its disgusting to glorify the villains.

Cyborg will be the only movie to do well, because no one knows who he is.

& I have a feeling these movies will lead up to Darkseid &/or Blackest Night.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My body is ready

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasoninthewoods: Sorry. I didn't actually mean filmed under water. Just taking place under water seems a bit ridiculous.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cobramorph: ................proof of (de)evolution: found.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@gjgp27: How so, The Rock would be a great John Stewart, having him play Black Adam is just like having T.I. in Ant-Man right, it's just weird

Note: I also love how everyone conveniently forgets that Thomas Jane's Punisher movie(which was really good) came out in 04

Um...are you blind, dude? You have that totally flipped. It would be weird if he was playing John Stewart. He looks nothing like him. But he looks sooooo much like Black Adam. Plus, John Stewart is probably not the Green Lantern that they'll be going with, anyway.

No I don't he could play wither character if he came down to it and they better not go with Hal, I despise Hal

TyphonNotMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to see they have a plan at least. I find it weird I'm most interested in Shazam. There's a lot of lore there to enhance the experience, has potential. The casting of the Rock as Black Adam really works, needs to be intimidating.

Vaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have very little faith in the DCCU. They are just rushing along and playing catch up, making what I think are bad casting choices. I also heard that Justin Marks is on board with the Suicide squad, which makes me think DC

aren't taking their time in choosing the best people to be a part in making these movies.

How are they rushing given their second film set within it is coming a full three years after their initial launch? And they have a better cast than Marvel, man. Each actor they've named has better work under their belt at this point in their career than anybody Marvel initially cast as leads with exception to Samuel L., RDJ, and Scarlett. They've also got an Oscar winning writer, Oscar winning director, Oscar nominated and Oscar winning actors as part of their cast and crew for BvS. I know I'm being defensive, but I can't honestly believe when I read posts like these that people are legitimately being objective and don't have some inherent bias against the company.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#114  Edited By fps_dean

I'm glad they're doing a Wonder Woman movie and a Shazam movie. I have always felt that if done right, Captain Marvel could be a huge success on the big screen.

Also, I'm glad Green Lantern is getting a reboot. They could easily make Sinestro be the Loki of the DC universe if done right...

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

No I don't he could play wither character if he came down to it and they better not go with Hal, I despise Hal

Yeah, cuz I'm sure they're gonna chose which character to go with based on your personal preferences. Plus, I love Hal.

Anyway, all evidence really seems to point toward them going with Hal. They're coming out with Cyborg and Shazam movies. Both Cyborg and Shazam are members of the New 52 Justice League roster. Cyborg himself is a founding member and he's going to be making an appearance in Batman v. Superman. Hal is also a member of the New 52 Justice League. So....logic dictates that Hal is the most likely contender.

StarOfElyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

jk jk jk

There are no strings on him!!! D:

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#117  Edited By EyeDCyou
Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has both the potential of standing out and being the next biggest cinematic universe or falling apart like a Robert hall suit, the fate is completely depending on the success of BvS. As much as I have faith in Snyder as a director and liked MOS, the critical reception of that movie was pretty lackluster, the same reception for BvS won't be favorable for DCCU going forward. Despite DC/WB incorporating two of the biggest most Iconic comic book character of all time in their next movie, it's in the hand of same people that worked on MOS, the risk is there. I'm looking forward to how having argo's writer to tweak the script works out. I'm all for success of DCCU though, and more than hopeful BvS will be one of the best renditions of two of the most iconic characters ever. I'm also excited for the announced Shazam, WW and GL movie.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fps_dean said:

I'm glad they're doing a Wonder Woman movie and a Shazam movie. I have always felt that if done right, Captain Marvel could be a huge success on the big screen.

Also, I'm glad Green Lantern is getting a reboot. They could easily make Sinestro be the Loki of the DC universe if done right...

Honestly I thought that even in that crappy GL movie, Mark Strong's Sinestro was pretty spot on. I wouldn't mind them bringing him back for the role.

However, even though Sinestro is my favorite villain, since Green Lantern's gonna be saved for last, they'll probably need to invest in another villain to be DC's "Loki." So...maybe Black Adam or Deathstroke? I would seriously faint from fanboyism if it was the latter (another one of my favorite villains).

daxamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a shazam movie will be epic and heart felt, the loss of billy's father and accepting his new powers from the wizard, and the qualities of being a kid an adult will be very hard to juggle, and the rock dwayne johnson will be a great villain in Black Adam he doe's look egyptian for one and he'd make a great villain opposite billy.. I'm picturing the stteing close to the stargate movie back in the day for starters and working towards things like the tomb of Nabu and the blue scarab of the blue beetle as easter eggs in the movie that would be cool to see. any ways long live the Legion !!!!!!

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By jorgeareizaga

Marvel cinematic universe is SO LAME, CLICHE AND BORING

DC UNIVERSE ALWAYS HAVE BEEN BETTER, HAPPY THERE WILL BE MANY DC MOVIES =) !!

Altought Ben Affleck as Batman sounds terrible!

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Captain13

@zeeguy91 said:

@zeeguy91 said:

Yeah, cuz I'm sure they're gonna chose which character to go with based on your personal preferences. Plus, I love Hal.

Anyway, all evidence really seems to point toward them going with Hal. They're coming out with Cyborg and Shazam movies. Both Cyborg and Shazam are members of the New 52 Justice League roster. Cyborg himself is a founding member and he's going to be making an appearance in Batman v. Superman. Hal is also a member of the New 52 Justice League. So....logic dictates that Hal is the most likely contender.

Why I think they will choose John and why I doubt they will choose Hal:

http://greenlantern.co/john-stewart-for-new-justice-league-and-green-lantern-movies-and-commentary-on-the-green-lantern-fanbase/

Addressing any possible counter arguments:

http://greenlantern.co/addressing-arguments-against-using-john-stewart-as-the-cinematic-green-lantern/#comments

Support:

IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/24/ive-got-issues-how-to-make-the-new-green-lantern-movie-work

Newsarama

http://www.newsarama.com/20826-10-dc-comics-characters-that-should-have-movies-now.html

http://www.newsarama.com/15565-10-things-we-want-from-a-justice-league-movie.html

MTV

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/07/25/justice-league-5-heroes-that-need-a-solo-film/

Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/07/22/when-batman-becomes-warner-bros-dc-universe-crutch/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/07/03/how-hillary-clinton-and-jack-sparrow-helped-make-pg-13-the-one-size-fits-all-rating/

Grace Randolph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqfQNgultyk

ComicBookCast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPYeMtOP4i0&list=UU20DNxT_UjT49mYOIocJAww

Kevin Smith

http://smodcast.com/episodes/neal-adams-ad-man-returns/

Black Nerd Comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgsZH5J4ptE

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Captain13

@gjgp27: Classy.

Please don't comment in ingnorance or as if that's fact.

I recommend the Van Jensen GLC run, the Green Lantern: Mosaic book, and the Justice League cartoons.

Jimosai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaen said:

4. Snyder himself. The director's cut of Watchmen makes my top three comic book films of all-time (tied with Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but behind The Dark Knight and V for Vendetta), and that's because it explores all the philosophical elements of the source material with very little revision on how the plot actually unfolds with a visual style that's entirely unique. And that's really it: he's a director that respects the source material whose visual style is perfect for comic book adaptations. He brings the worlds in his films alive in such a way that it feels like you're stepping into a graphic novel, and that's the experience that I want when I'm in the theater. No other director provides that.

Except that its in this exact respect that Snyder failed in Man of Steel. It felt as though he was ignorant of the source material. Its like all he did was watch Superman 2 and thought: "This, but DARKER!"

I look at this slate of movies and I'm quietly hoping for a Darkest Night movie with Batfleck taking on black lantern Christian Bale Batman, which of course, will never happen.

redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@zeeguy91 said:

They could always go with Kyle, Guy, or SImon. I don't neccesarily think they'd go with Hal due to the fact that, that failure of a GL movie was so recent and Hal was the star of that, Of course they could go with John too but since they already have Cyborg, they've already filled the need of a black character so they don't seem racist, so I doubt they'd add another black character. Anyway give me any gL but Hal, Ch'p would be more interesting than him

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@the_stegman: Yeah, me too. I have watched it it's entirety 3 times. Then bits and pieces when I come across it on HBO. I try to apply all the negative things that people say about the movie to see if I am just glossing over them (b/c I want to like the movie), but I can't. While I find a few things "off", as a whole I loved the movie. I love the flash backs most of all, which to me gave depth to the character.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jv: I agree with you and @the_stegman, I love Man of Steel. I think it gave everyone what they wanted in a Superman flick, but some people cannot be pleased. I have watched it to the point where I can quote the damn thing. I am super excited to get the ball rolling on this cinematic universe. Beyond ready. BEYOND, SON!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Zeeguy91

They could always go with Kyle, Guy, or SImon. I don't neccesarily think they'd go with Hal due to the fact that, that failure of a GL movie was so recent and Hal was the star of that, Of course they could go with John too but since they already have Cyborg, they've already filled the need of a black character so they don't seem racist, so I doubt they'd add another black character. Anyway give me any gL but Hal, Ch'p would be more interesting than him

This is not a discussion of what they could go with. This is about who they probably will, and, sorry, but that's probably gonna be Hal. Personally, I really do hope they go with Hal. He's my favorite. I hate John and Guy. I would be okay with Kyle, but it would still probably rub me the wrong way as they would just be giving him Hal's origin story. Also, how exactly would Ch'p be more interesting?? I think you're letting your personal feelings about the character color your perceptions about any possible story direction.

Anyway, as to your other point, by the time this new GL movie comes out, it will have been almost a decade since the 2011 GL movie. Marvel came out with Incredible Hulk only about 5 years after the disaster that was Ang Lee's Hulk, which also ties into my other point. Saying that Hal shouldn't be the protagonist because of a bad movie from years before is like saying that after the Joel Schumacher movies of the 1990s, DC should have made someone else Batman besides Bruce Wayne. Same logic for the Hulk. Would it have made sense to replace Bruce Banner? No. If you want to tell the story of the Green Lantern mythos, you start with Hal. End of story. Guy, John, Kyle, etc. can come along later, but Hal's the first and he deserves to be the starting point.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: A bunch of arguments from one blogger does not a sufficient argument make. Plus, I can go to the internet and pull out a million other examples in support of Hal. In fact, there is rumor buzz that Chris Pine is actually being considered for the role as we speak:

http://www.moviecricket.com/chris-pine-considered-for-green-lantern-and-justice-league-by-warner-bros-68374/

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/46897/20140923/justice-league-movie-news-chris-pine-as-the-green-lantern-fan-casting-says-the-actor-would-make-perfect-hal-jordan-video.htm

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Captain13

@zeeguy91 said:

If you want to tell the story of the Green Lantern mythos, you start with Hal. End of story. Guy, John, Kyle, etc. can come along later, but Hal's the first and he deserves to be the starting point.

If that's the case, why is Marvel making a movie about Scott Lang rather than Hank Pym?

Again:

Why I think they will choose John and why I doubt they will choose Hal:

http://greenlantern.co/john-stewart-for-new-justice-league-and-green-lantern-movies-and-commentary-on-the-green-lantern-fanbase/

Addressing any possible counter arguments:

http://greenlantern.co/addressing-arguments-against-using-john-stewart-as-the-cinematic-green-lantern/#comments

Support:

IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/24/ive-got-issues-how-to-make-the-new-green-lantern-movie-work

Newsarama

http://www.newsarama.com/20826-10-dc-comics-characters-that-should-have-movies-now.html

http://www.newsarama.com/15565-10-things-we-want-from-a-justice-league-movie.html

MTV

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/07/25/justice-league-5-heroes-that-need-a-solo-film/

Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/07/22/when-batman-becomes-warner-bros-dc-universe-crutch/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/07/03/how-hillary-clinton-and-jack-sparrow-helped-make-pg-13-the-one-size-fits-all-rating/

Grace Randolph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqfQNgultyk

ComicBookCast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPYeMtOP4i0&list=UU20DNxT_UjT49mYOIocJAww

Kevin Smith

http://smodcast.com/episodes/neal-adams-ad-man-returns/

Black Nerd Comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgsZH5J4ptE

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Captain13

@zeeguy91 said:

@captain13: A bunch of arguments from one blogger does not a sufficient argument make. Plus, I can go to the internet and pull out a million other examples in support of Hal. In fact, there is rumor buzz that Chris Pine is actually being considered for the role as we speak:

http://www.moviecricket.com/chris-pine-considered-for-green-lantern-and-justice-league-by-warner-bros-68374/

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/46897/20140923/justice-league-movie-news-chris-pine-as-the-green-lantern-fan-casting-says-the-actor-would-make-perfect-hal-jordan-video.htm

Not one blogger. I posted several prestigious/prominent Comic Book sites (IGN, Newsarama, MTV, ComicBookCast, Forbes) and Comic Book figures (Kevin Smith, Grace Randolph) supporting the arguments for John Stewart being the best and most likely choice for central cinematic Green Lantern--the same arguments I would make.

Also, several black actors have been rumored for the role, including Chadwick Boseman.

We have to wait for confirmation not rely on rumors.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Zeeguy91

@captain13 said:

@zeeguy91 said:

Not one blogger. I posted several prestigious/prominent comicbook sites and comicbook figures supporting the arguments I would make.

Yeah, to which I replied that I could dig up a bunch of arguments in support of Hal, so...I don't see your point. Yeah, some people want John. And...some people want Hal or Guy or Kyle. That's does nothing to suggest that they will go with John. Plus, recent rumors seem to suggest Chris Pine as a frontrunner for the role of Hal Jordan.

Anyway, if you want an example, here's what an article on CinemaBlend had to say about the issue:

All signs point to Hal being the main Green Lantern. Much of the DCCU is being inspired by the New 52, and Hal is one of the founding members of the New 52 Justice League. Hal also has the most interesting origin of all the Green Lanterns. Watching his father die in a plane crash, he spent his whole life overcoming fear and became a pilot so that he could reach past the limitations people tried to impose on him. Having the ring is the ultimate wish fulfillment. He’s able to explore the entire universe while helping others in the process. Hal also has plenty of interesting stories that can be adapted for film, such as his antagonistic relationship with his former mentor Sinestro or his time as Parallax. Also, since Barry Allen will be the DCCU’s Flash, their friendship could be explored in the Justice League films. Like Batman and Superman, Hal and Barry are frequent partners, and it would be great to finally see them fighting side by side in live-action.

It’s possible that DC might try to distance themselves from 2011’s Green Lantern by choosing a different person to wear the ring. Some may consider Hal’s reputation to be tainted by that film, and he didn’t fare much better with the animated series that aired soon after, although that had more to do with poor toy sales than the quality of the show. However, since nine years will have passed when the reboot is released, ideally everyone will realize that the films are not connected in any way and give Hal a second chance. If Bruce Wayne can bounce back after Batman and Robin, Hal Jordan can do the same.

If you want to see what they said about the other Green Lanterns, here's that link: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/5-Heroes-DC-Could-Choose-Headline-Green-Lantern-Reboot-67820.html

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Captain13

@zeeguy91: You have 1 opinion quote from 1 site, when I posted 8 different sites--more well known and prominent that cinemablend, which is known for false rumors.

The upswell of support leans more heavily toward John, and the studio hasn't made any official announcements, so I don't see the point in constantly repeating my points with someone who has no new or effective arguments to make--no offense intended.

I usually ignore Hal comments, but yours came across as rude so I gave a thorough reply that addresses all points you make--before you even made many of them.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Zeeguy91

@captain13 said:

@zeeguy91: You have 1 opinion quote from 1 site, when I posted 8 different sites--more well known and prominent that cinemablend, which is known for false rumors.

The upswell of support leans more heavily toward John, and the studio hasn't made any official announcements, so I don't see the point in constantly repeating my points with someone who has no new or effective arguments to make--no offense intended.

I usually ignore Hal comments, but yours came across as rude so I gave a thorough reply that addresses all points you make--before you even made many of them.

Well, again, no offense intended, but you just seem to be ignoring evidence that you find discomforting. And just because you quoted 8 fansites doesn't make your evidence any more persuasive than mine. And lets just be honest here, eight sites do not constitute an "upswell of John-leaning support." Its anecdotal evidence at best. Meanwhile, the practices of DC and the decisions that they've made thus far heavily suggest Hal. There's no denying that.

They seem to be basing the DCCU heavily on the New 52 comics. Hal is a founding member of the JL in the New 52. They cast for the role Barry Allen, the other Silver Age counterpart to a more "modern" Flash (Wally West). Hal and Barry are usually paired together. CinemaBlend, even if you deem them "unreliable" is not wrong when they say that the preponderance of evidence points to Hal Jordan. I apologize if that is not what you want, but that is what we have.

So, if you're so smart, maybe you should craft a "thorough reply" that addresses the point why almost everythingDC has done up to this point suggests Hal is going to be in the new Green Lantern movie.

redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

This is not a discussion of what they could go with. This is about who they probably will, and, sorry, but that's probably gonna be Hal. Personally, I really do hope they go with Hal. He's my favorite. I hate John and Guy. I would be okay with Kyle, but it would still probably rub me the wrong way as they would just be giving him Hal's origin story. Also, how exactly would Ch'p be more interesting?? I think you're letting your personal feelings about the character color your perceptions about any possible story direction.

Anyway, as to your other point, by the time this new GL movie comes out, it will have been almost a decade since the 2011 GL movie. Marvel came out with Incredible Hulk only about 5 years after the disaster that was Ang Lee's Hulk, which also ties into my other point. Saying that Hal shouldn't be the protagonist because of a bad movie from years before is like saying that after the Joel Schumacher movies of the 1990s, DC should have made someone else Batman besides Bruce Wayne. Same logic for the Hulk. Would it have made sense to replace Bruce Banner? No. If you want to tell the story of the Green Lantern mythos, you start with Hal. End of story. Guy, John, Kyle, etc. can come along later, but Hal's the first and he deserves to be the starting point.

You can't say "who they probably will" because there's no telling who they'll go with, and you're forgetting one MAJOR thing, this GL will debut in the Justice League movie first and then go on to star in that solo GL movie, I highly doubt they'd go an Avengers route and have 3 different actors play the same character, especially when the JL movie is the starting point. Your examples of Batman and Hulk are not a good comparison due to the fact that while their have been many variations of both characters, both Bruces have always been the focal point of their respective characters, like there has never been a time where someone has taken of the Hulk's powers away from BB(clearly I'm talking about the one true Hulk and not guys like Rulk, She-hulk etc) and even when they were separated, they were still connected. Same thing for Batman, though many people have stepped in or filled in temporarily, but Bruce always remains central to the character of Batman, however the GL doesn't work like that. Wit the GL it's not just one character filling in temporarily for another, or even about different variations of the same character, it's different characters having the same powers being apart of the same corps, which is why they don't have to start with Hal, they can start with any of the other 4 simply because they want more diversity in the film, or they want whatever perspective/character qualities the character will bring, perhaps they want John to be the straight man to the Flash's funnyman like in the JL cartoon and in fact maybe they just go with John just to recapture fans of the animated series , Maybe they want Guy, so his bad boy act causes more tension in the group and so he pisses off Batman, Maybe they go with Ch'p just to expand the alien aspect and have him be the answer to GOTG's Rocket Raccoon, Maybe they go with Simon, Maybe they go with Kyle, they don't have to go with Hal simply because "he is the first" there are many ways DC can go at it

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Captain13

@zeeguy91 said:

@captain13 said:

Well, again, no offense intended, but you just seem to be ignoring evidence that you find discomforting. And just because you quoted 8 fansites doesn't make your evidence any more persuasive than mine. And lets just be honest here, eight sites do not constitute an "upswell of John-leaning support." Its anecdotal evidence at best. Meanwhile, the practices of DC and the decisions that they've made thus far heavily suggest Hal. There's no denying that.

They seem to be basing the DCCU heavily on the New 52 comics. Hal is a founding member of the JL in the New 52. They cast for the role Barry Allen, the other Silver Age counterpart to a more "modern" Flash (Wally West). Hal and Barry are usually paired together. CinemaBlend, even if you deem them "unreliable" is not wrong when they say that the preponderance of evidence points to Hal Jordan. I apologize if that is not what you want, but that is what we have.

So, if you're so smart, maybe you should craft a "thorough reply" that addresses the point why almost everythingDC has done up to this point suggests Hal is going to be in the new Green Lantern movie.

If Hal is such a lock, then is makes no sense as to why WB has kept Johns from using the character in the Justice League book for 2 years of the 3 years the New 52 has been going on.

In addition, you seem to be projecting your lack of evidence/weak evidence on me. I said there is a lot of support and logic behind the John choice, while you make the assertion that Hal is a certainty when the films have changed the ages and races of the New 52 characters already. Not to mention the fact that it is borrowing elements from non-New 52 stories like the Dark Knight returns--for example the inclusion of Carrie Kelly as Robin. Where is that in the New52 again?

Feel free to keep your blinders on. I will wait until official confirmation rather than claiming certainty based on weak speculation.

And yes, I do believe John will be the studio choice for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Again, see:

http://greenlantern.co/addressing-arguments-against-using-john-stewart-as-the-cinematic-green-lantern/

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Hal is such a lock, then is makes no sense as to why WB has kept Johns from using the character in the Justice League book for 2 years of the 3 years the New 52 has been going on.

In addition, you seem to be projecting your lack of evidence/weak evidence on me. I said there is a lot of support and logic behind the John choice, while you make the assertion that Hal is a certainty when the films have changed the ages and races of the New 52 characters already. Not to mention the fact that it is borrowing elements from non-New 52 stories like the Dark Knight returns--for example the inclusion of Carrie Kelly as Robin. Where is that in the New52 again?

Feel free to keep your blinders on. I will wait until official confirmation rather than claiming certainty based on weak speculation.

And yes, I do believe John will be the studio choice for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Again, see:

http://greenlantern.co/addressing-arguments-against-using-john-stewart-as-the-cinematic-green-lantern/

Actually, Jenna Malone's role is not confirmed. They haven't said who she's playing yet. Some people are saying its Robin, but there really isn't any evidence to suggest that. Plus, I'm pretty sure they also came out with a statement that Jena wasn't necessarily playing Robin. At the same time, though, Carrie Kelley actually is in the New 52, as Damian's tutor/friend. So...

Also, last I heard, Hal is returning to Justice League in a few months. I'm pretty sure there was a report on CBR about it. Oh, here it is:

Hal Jordan will return to the Justice League. Johns stated that Hal Jordan -- a character Johns is very familiar with from his years on "Green Lantern" -- will return to the League "soon."

So...if we get Hal, Cyborg, Barry, and Shazam all on the Justice League, well, that just seems like DC is promoting their movie line up.

So, pretty sure I'm not the one who has blinders on here, bud...

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Captain13

@zeeguy91 said:

@captain13 said:

Again, see:

Actually, Jenna Malone's role is not confirmed. They haven't said who she's playing yet. Some people are saying its Robin, but there really isn't any evidence to suggest that. Plus, I'm pretty sure they also came out with a statement that Jena wasn't necessarily playing Robin. At the same time, though, Carrie Kelley actually is in the New 52, as Damian's tutor/friend. So...

Also, last I heard, Hal is returning to Justice League in a few months. I'm pretty sure there was a report on CBR about it. Oh, here it is:

Hal Jordan will return to the Justice League. Johns stated that Hal Jordan -- a character Johns is very familiar with from his years on "Green Lantern" -- will return to the League "soon."

So...if we get Hal, Cyborg, Barry, and Shazam all on the Justice League, well, that just seems like DC is promoting their movie line up.

So, pretty sure I'm not the one who has blinders on here, bud...

In a more recent article, Johns says he can't say which GL will be joining the team, so that has likely changed--or else why would he go back on what he said?

The studio hasn't confirmed Jena Malone's role, but an extra on set has.

And Carrie Kelly was never Robin in the New52, only the Dark Knight Returns, so....?

Also, Aquaman isn't Polynesian in the New52, Flash doesn't have jet black hair, Batman isn't in his 40s, etc.

Also, the rumored Suicide Squad roster doesn't match up with the New 52 either...

Oh, and Shazam won't be a part of the DCCU--it has a universe unto itself.

Hal isn't guaranteed and you know it.

Many notable sites are rallying behind John, and numerous high profile actors have expressed interest in the role and support for the character--including Chadwick Boseman, Idris Elba, Dennis Haysbert, and Dwayne Johnson.

You can keep pretending Hal's selection is a fact, but the evidence contradicts that.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a more recent article, Johns says he can't say which GL will be joining the team, so that has likely changed--or else why would he go back on what he said?

The studio hasn't confirmed Jena Malone's role, but an extra on set has.

And Carrie Kelly was never Robin in the New52, only the Dark Knight Returns, so....?

Also, Aquaman isn't Polynesian in the New52, Flash doesn't have jet black hair, Batman isn't in his 40s, etc.

Also, the rumored Suicide Squad roster doesn't match up with the New 52 either...

Oh, and Shazam won't be a part of the DCCU--it has a universe unto itself.

Hal isn't guaranteed and you know it.

Many notable sites are rallying behind John, and numerous high profile actors have expressed interest in the role and support for the character--including Chadwick Boseman, Idris Elba, Dennis Haysbert, and Dwayne Johnson.

You can keep pretending Hal's selection is a fact, but the evidence contradicts that.

Again, its probably going to be Hal.

Plus, you do know that Ezra Miller can probably just dye his hair, right? But, even so, Barry Allen in the TV universe has brown hair. Plus, all of this is superficial characteristics. Do you think that Aquaman, even though he's Polynesian in appearance, won't be Arthur Curry? Or that Batman, cuz he's older, won't be Bruce Wayne? Uh...obviously not.

Furthermore, that ScreenRant article you cited literally says nothing about Shazam being in its own universe. Its still being produced by Warner Brothers. What it says is that he's not "a Justice League character," which is probably just them saying that he's not going to be a founding member. Well, that's fine. Neither is he in the New 52. It also just says that it'll have a different tone to it. Nice way to jump to conclusions with no evidence, but hey, I guess that's what you've been doing from the start.

Anyway, a bunch of other websites have also rallied behind the idea of Hal Jordan returning and have noted several actors, among them Chris Pine, Nathan Fillion, Bradley Cooper, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, etc. Also, Dwayne Johnson has already confirmed that he's playing Black Adam in Shazam, which is more likely than not in the same universe as the rest of these movies. So, he's definitely not gonna be John Stewart.

You can keep pretending like Hal's not a possibility, but the evidence supports his inclusion in the DCCU. Ignoring that evidence and jumping to conclusions based on minimal evidence is hurting your point more than helping it.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Captain13

@zeeguy91: Actually, I have been saying John is the more likely choice and Hal isn't a certainty as you've been saying. That's why you had to use the words "probably Hal" in your most recent post. I have said again and again that we need to wait for confirmation--way to go back on what you have been posting. Hal isn't certain, and John is the better choice for all the reasons previously mentioned. Also, there's a reason that brand name sites like IGN, Forbes, Newsarama, etc. support John. There's a reason why Kevin Smith (who is close to details on the project) and Grace Randolph support John. You haven't offered up people with the same level of band-name/respected opinions yet.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Zeeguy91

@zeeguy91: Actually, I have been saying John is the more likely choice and Hal isn't a certainty as you've been saying. That's why you had to use the words "probably Hal" in your most recent post. I have said again and again that we need to wait for confirmation--way to go back on what you have been posting. Hal isn't certain, and John is the better choice for all the reasons previously mentioned.

That is just a blatant lie. Don't put words in my mouth!! If you actually go back through my posts, you'll see that what I've said is that evidence "heavily suggests" Hal. That is verbatim what I've been saying. And it does.

Don't say I've said something I haven't said!! Don't twist my words around to make me look like the bad guy. That's just disingenuous.

If you want to debate what I've said on its merits, go ahead. But if you can't, then just walk away instead of making crap up.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Zeeguy91

You can't say "who they probably will" because there's no telling who they'll go with, and you're forgetting one MAJOR thing, this GL will debut in the Justice League movie first and then go on to star in that solo GL movie, I highly doubt they'd go an Avengers route and have 3 different actors play the same character, especially when the JL movie is the starting point. Your examples of Batman and Hulk are not a good comparison due to the fact that while their have been many variations of both characters, both Bruces have always been the focal point of their respective characters, like there has never been a time where someone has taken of the Hulk's powers away from BB(clearly I'm talking about the one true Hulk and not guys like Rulk, She-hulk etc) and even when they were separated, they were still connected. Same thing for Batman, though many people have stepped in or filled in temporarily, but Bruce always remains central to the character of Batman, however the GL doesn't work like that. Wit the GL it's not just one character filling in temporarily for another, or even about different variations of the same character, it's different characters having the same powers being apart of the same corps, which is why they don't have to start with Hal, they can start with any of the other 4 simply because they want more diversity in the film, or they want whatever perspective/character qualities the character will bring, perhaps they want John to be the straight man to the Flash's funnyman like in the JL cartoon and in fact maybe they just go with John just to recapture fans of the animated series , Maybe they want Guy, so his bad boy act causes more tension in the group and so he pisses off Batman, Maybe they go with Ch'p just to expand the alien aspect and have him be the answer to GOTG's Rocket Raccoon, Maybe they go with Simon, Maybe they go with Kyle, they don't have to go with Hal simply because "he is the first" there are many ways DC can go at it

Well, the Flash has had several different identities, yet they are going with Barry Allen, the character who like Hal is the most well-known progenitor of all of the others that came after him.

However, the argument ignores one huge fact: that pretty much ALL of the other Green Lanterns are tied to Hal in some way, shape, or form. Guy and John only exist because they were chosen by the Guardians as back ups in case Hal could no longer perform his duties, Kyle Rayner was given the ring only because of the whole Parallax thing which was a huge moment not only in Hal's history but in the history of the Corps, and Simon Baz only got the ring after Hal's most recent "death." Plus, Simon is only two years old. You seriously think they'll go with him? Every single one of them is tied back to Hal in their origin and their story necessitates that you tell Hal's first.

If you cut out Hal, you basically remove all context for the other Lanterns to effectively have their stories told. They could try to give one of them Hal's origin story, but that would essentially just be them making a movie about Hal Jordan, but with a different name.

The fact is that the majority of the Green Lantern franchise is built around the character of Hal Jordan: Sinestro is mostly Hal's villain, Carol Ferris has historically been Hal's love interest, Coast City is Hal's hometown, etc.

Anyway, its already been three years since the first GL movie and by the time the first Justice League movie comes out, it will have been six. Again, the second Hulk movie followed that first flop after only about 5 years. And people really liked the second one. So...

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Desh

@zeeguy91 said:

Heheh. This rumor buzz you speak of is from April 29th. That was... quite some time ago, man. I haven't heard anything about Chris Pine being Hal Jordan since then. I think you may as well give up on that one :p

If you want some definite proof of John's support, then here. You will likely refuse to accept this somehow, but there's no denying it. I'm sure WB sees and considers all of this stuff. Fan reaction matters to them, especially when the last GL movie bombed so hard. These results are from some of the largest comic book sites in the world.

http://greenlantern.co/news/ign.png

http://greenlantern.co/news/poll1.gif

http://greenlantern.co/news/poll2.gif

http://greenlantern.co/news/sr-poll.jpg

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Captain13
@zeeguy91 said:
@captain13 said:

@zeeguy91: Actually, I have been saying John is the more likely choice and Hal isn't a certainty as you've been saying. That's why you had to use the words "probably Hal" in your most recent post. I have said again and again that we need to wait for confirmation--way to go back on what you have been posting. Hal isn't certain, and John is the better choice for all the reasons previously mentioned.

That is just a blatant lie. Don't put words in my mouth!! If you actually go back through my posts, you'll see that what I've said is that evidence "heavily suggests" Hal. That is verbatim what I've been saying. And it does.

Don't say I've said something I haven't said!! Don't twist my words around to make me look like the bad guy. That's just disingenuous.

If you want to debate what I've said on its merits, go ahead. But if you can't, then just walk away instead of making crap up.

I think you've twisted your own words enough.

redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

Well, the Flash has had several different identities, yet they are going with Barry Allen, the character who like Hal is the most well-known progenitor of all of the others that came after him.

However, the argument ignores one huge fact: that pretty much ALL of the other Green Lanterns are tied to Hal in some way, shape, or form. Guy and John only exist because they were chosen by the Guardians as back ups in case Hal could no longer perform his duties, Kyle Rayner was given the ring only because of the whole Parallax thing which was a huge moment not only in Hal's history but in the history of the Corps, and Simon Baz only got the ring after Hal's most recent "death." Plus, Simon is only two years old. You seriously think they'll go with him? Every single one of them is tied back to Hal in their origin and their story necessitates that you tell Hal's first.

If you cut out Hal, you basically remove all context for the other Lanterns to effectively have their stories told. They could try to give one of them Hal's origin story, but that would essentially just be them making a movie about Hal Jordan, but with a different name.

The fact is that the majority of the Green Lantern franchise is built around the character of Hal Jordan: Sinestro is mostly Hal's villain, Carol Ferris has historically been Hal's love interest, Coast City is Hal's hometown, etc.

Anyway, its already been three years since the first GL movie and by the time the first Justice League movie comes out, it will have been six. Again, the second Hulk movie followed that first flop after only about 5 years. And people really liked the second one. So...

Now IIRC about my GL mythology, Hal wasn't supposed to receive the ring first, Kyle was, Hal only received it because he was closer and again you're ignoring the fact that they don't need to show Hal, look at the animated series Hal was never shown and it did great, so great in fact that until the movie and recently cancelled series debuted, most casual fans didn't even know there were any GL's but Hal, I mean this is Hollywood we're talking about, if they can change the race of a character like Johnny Storm in the new F4 movie then they can easily work around Hal if they chose too, hell look at Arrow, Star city in the comics is Starling city now, Dinah isn't Black Canary(not yet) her sister Sarah is/was.

Avatar image for marvel_kills_dc
Marvel_kills_DC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC is nothing compared to Marvel. That's how it is and that's how it always will be

Grim187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel_kills_dc: Fail lol. I love both marvel and DC but when I hear "Super Hero" I immediately think of Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Spider man (Marvel, duh), Flash, and sadly Robin. I guarantee that majority of ppl who aren't heavily inflicted with "Fanboyism" would agree. Imho, the most Iconic super heroes are Supes, and Bats. I see the Bat sign far more used/worn than any other comic characters insignia.