The continuing Sin

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Gah, I'm sick of Marvel publishing gimmicky summer events, they have no lasting impact of the universe, the content from these events always spills over into the other series, ruining whatever coherent story-lines the other writers may have managed to put together

.I would prefer if Marvel stopped trying to "change it up" and focused more on giving us quality stories and stop forcing the characters to inter-cross with each other, the writers aren't letting the characters grow in a natural way and are instead stifling their potential with enough events, move tie ins, and other fluff to make the fans want to vomit it all up and use fanon to pretend the past 12 months never happened (I'm looking at you "Superior Spider-man.")

A little off topic but these comics are WAY too expensive, even with inflation these books shouldn't cost more than a dollar, but the modern comic book costs at least $4 a pop, and with page count shrinking per magazine these past couple of years I find myself closing a lot of books feeling a bit cheated. Fortunately Marvel does have a very generous digital subscription program which I am grateful for.

I'll admit however that the one thing that I think hasn't really ever been better is the writing, for the most part, basically I've found that when I open a Marvel book It's either going to be great or confusing as hell.

For the most part if an issue isn't a part of some drawn out story arc or "event" it's going to be okay, take All New X-men for example, (now I know a lot of people are disgusted of even the idea of the original x-men being here and that the series is the result of the same kind of forced changes I've been complaining about, unfortunately nearly every major title is corrupted by these "events", that being said I find All new X-men to be a silver lining in the cloud of mediocrity, a hidden gem if you will, a blemished flawed gem, but a gem nevertheless ) for the most part we have the story of several misplaced teenagers trying to find their way, rejecting the path set before them by the adults around them.

They being to question everything and develop very differently than the X-men we once knew, each issue is generally enjoyable, they even manage to pull of a tie in with the guardians of the galaxy without it feeling too forced.

But then you have the god awful "Battle of the atom" in which the writers create two or three paradoxes too many by having people from different timelines in the future interfere with what was a comfortable level of confusion by taking it up to 11 and making sure that no one knows what's going on and anyone who does can point out a dozen plot holes.

In "Battle of the atom" the writers are completely ignorant of the fact that time travel was just a Duse ex machina used to get the classic X-men in modern comic books, instead they had to complicate the plot with another "event" and make us all wish that the All new X-men were never created.

Fortunately you can mostly just ignore the Battle of the atom event because the plot was so convoluted and irrelevant, not to mention confusing, that there's almost no danger of anyone referring back to it (much).

But not all events are like this, and plots like this can overtake entire series for months or even years, take Superior Spider-man, we are forced to endure that pain of a completely clichéd and overused trope of supervillan mind switch that would typically not be used as anything other than a filler issue.

The only difference between one of those filler issues and Superior Spider-man is that Superior Spider-man lasted 30 issues.

I'll admit that I was a little entertained by the novelty of it all as I was well aware that Marvel didn't have the guts to actually kill of one of their main characters ( or at least contemporary Marvel dosn't, RIP Gwen Stacy unlike your twenty something clones) but it doesn't excuse the fact that the only thing the entire series amounted to was putting some dirt of Spider-mans street cred, meanwhile robbing us of what could've been some interesting stories about Spider-man.And then after only 3 or 4 issues with our beloved hero back Original Sin comes along and I just sort of die on the inside, I know his new romance interest won't last and decided to just wait until the story arc ends.

This problem of bad events and over the top story arcs can be annoying to well established series, but they can destroy relatively new ones, for instance, Uncanny Avengers;a series with an unlikely but interesting mix of characters, true it was the fallout of the obnoxious AvX event, but I start to see some potential as they deal with Cap trying to overcome his admittedly understandable prejudice against mutants.

This is an undertone of the series for the first few issues but the writers fail to take advantage of the opportunity and instead move on to a lengthy story arc dealing with the celestial's and apocalypse which reads like something from the sermons from a suicide cult, I actually suspect whoever wrote that story arc was either sacrilegious or on crack.

Essentially any series I even start to enjoy is ripped to shreds by executive decisions or and inconsistent writing staff .The only mags I can consistently enjoy are the ones outside the mainstream, if it doesn't have a film adaption then its safe, for this reason I've taken a special liking to Nova, other than a minor appearance in the Guardians films the Nova’s haven’t gotten a lot of mainstream attention, and Thor for a time was left relatively isolated in the comics despite being very well known, but now the character who once boasted the best written mag in marvel is being replaced by his long lost sister.

Given these issues I've decided to start looking for other magazines outside the mainstream because their safe from the problems I've been talking about.

You see what you did Marvel? You turned me into a hipster.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That's right. Let it all out.

Beata

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@acer51: Turning to independent comics makes you a hipster?