This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: The Comic Vine 2013 Movie Awards VOTING: Best Director (562 votes)

Alan Taylor (Thor: The Dark World) 6%
Baltasar Kormákur (2 Guns) 1%
James Mangold (The Wolverine) 6%
Jeff Wadlow (Kick-Ass 2) 1%
J.J. Abrams (Star Trek Into Darkness) 15%
Jon M. Chu (G.I. Joe: Retaliation) 0%
Guillermo del Toro (Pacific Rim) 19%
Peter Jackson (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug) 22%
Shane Black (Iron Man 3) 6%
Zack Snyder (Man of Steel) 25%

Welcome to the second edition of the Comic Vine Movie Awards! We know there's plenty of fantastic looking movies heading our way in the years to come, but let's take some time to reflect on just how much awesomeness was packed into 2013. We each have our favorites and now you have the opportunity to tell the world why these films deserve praise.

Keeping it limited to just comic book movies would restrict matters, so we included a few films we know the community really dug this year, too. We've created 10 categories -- ranging from best director to best movie -- and ultimately, the winner of each category will be determined by your votes. Will Marvel and DC take a majority of the awards or will one of the other films swoop in and earn extra praise? Go get your vote on, Viners!

To vote in other categories, check out the main article which will be located on the homepage!

Winners will be announced next Monday (12/30/13).

#1 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6487 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Jackson.

#2 Posted by Deranged Midget (17987 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Jackson takes the cake easily!

#4 Posted by Mucklefluga (2605 posts) - - Show Bio

Mangold or Jackson.

ABRAMS = LENS FLARES

#5 Posted by SynCig (750 posts) - - Show Bio

James Mangold would have gotten my vote if it wasn't for the finale of The Wolverine. I just watched the extended cut last night and I absolutely adore 95% of the movie but I really hate the giant adamantium mech. So I gave my vote to Guillermo del Toro, who is one of my favorite directors.

#6 Edited by monkeyonurback_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

WHY. IS ZACK SNYDER ON TOP.

i expect this from geek tyrant and maybe even newsarama but i thought comicvine was better than this...

#8 Posted by RustyRoy (14448 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by RustyRoy (14448 posts) - - Show Bio

lol CV is possibly the only place where Snyder will win best director.

#10 Posted by Doomnaut (1994 posts) - - Show Bio

Del Toro.

#11 Posted by Xwraith (22619 posts) - - Show Bio

Mangold or Jackson.

ABRAMS = LENS FLARES

I actually never noticed the lens flares in his first Star Trek until someone pointed it out to me.

Same with Greedo shooting in the re-release of Star Wars.

#12 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8478 posts) - - Show Bio

Guillermo del Toro!!!!!!!!!!!

how is Zack Snyder winning? Oh yeah this is COMICvine.

#13 Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio

Jackson.

#14 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

taylor, for saving thor from oblivion

#15 Edited by BlackLegRaph (1212 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Jackson.

#16 Edited by Outside_85 (10607 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Jackson>Del Toro.

#17 Posted by Lunacyde (19530 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Jackson.

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (15253 posts) - - Show Bio

Either Snyder or Jackson.

#19 Edited by marvel_dc_heroes_villains (139 posts) - - Show Bio

Jackson. What on earth is going on with all the Man of Steel votes? Snyder couldn't direct a good film if his life depended on it. I still get acid flashbacks to how he butchered Watchmen. A sex scene set to Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah? Ugh.

#20 Posted by bloggerboy (642 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Jackson.

#21 Posted by Doctor_Malekith (58 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted J.J. Abrams, but the lens flares are annoying as hell.

#22 Edited by Nerd Of A Hero (910 posts) - - Show Bio

Guillermo del Toro (Pacific Rim) got my attention and vote.

- I had my up's and down's with MOS.

- Thor 2 and The Wolverine was just okay-ish.

- Iron Man 3 was great up until the second half of the movie.

- Have not seen the rest of those movies due to low budget and school/work time.

#23 Posted by buttersdaman000 (10835 posts) - - Show Bio

I had to go with J.J. Abrams.

Even though it was my favorite movie of the year MoS had some serious pacing issues. Star Trek, however, was fluid and awesome throughout

#24 Edited by TimeLordScience (1450 posts) - - Show Bio

If Man of Steel wins this one I genuinely lose faith in the community. I get that it's Comic Vine, but please people, see past the fanboyism and realize that Zack Snyder is definitely not the greatest director in this list.

#25 Posted by feedonatreefrog (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Del Toro. Such a well realized vision of a live-action anime.

JJ Abrams directed STID perfectly.

Although I wasn't a huge fan of IM3, I'd say the directing was perfect as well.

Even though I love MOS, there are some bonehead directorial choices, such as the inclusion of subpar CG shots, the lighting filters on certain scenes, etc.

Hobbit needed another edit imo.

#26 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF is Zack no.1 now?
I saw you guys bitching about how boring the story is, too much action, no character dev whatsoever...now he's on top of JJ, Del Toro??? YOU MUST BE JOKING.

So CV Award becomes popularity contest now?! like any other award out there?

#27 Edited by Shallbecomeabattoo (369 posts) - - Show Bio

For me Zack wins this. People on the web hate him, but he is one of the best visual genre directors and his direction in MoS was the best out of all those movies. The small scenes are intimate and like out of Tree of Life and the actionis bigger than Michael Bay big. You can have problems with editing, story or whatever, but on direction MoS wins this. By a mile.

#28 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5468 posts) - - Show Bio

This is where its obvious that MoS is winning most categories by blind fanboys. Snyder over del Toro and Peter Jackson? Please, only on Comicvine.

#29 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

For me Zack wins this. People on the web hate him, but he is one of the best visual genre directors and his direction in MoS was the best out of all those movies. The small scenes are intimate and like out of Tree of Life and the actionis bigger than Michael Bay big. You can have problems with editing, story or whatever, but on direction MoS wins this. By a mile.

Nope, people, including me hate this result is because Zack over Del toro and Peter Jackson. No one question his visual sense, but Del toro, JJ and Peter Jackson are just as good, if not better.

#30 Posted by MasterBelmont (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Jackson. He's just awesome.

#31 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Jackson and Snyder this year.

#32 Posted by Mister_Sensational (198 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't get me wrong I LOVED! Man of Steel, but Alan Taylor deserves a lot of props for what he did with Thor: The Dark World. The whole time I'm watching the scenes based in Asgard I was saying to myself "YES! Now this is what Asgard and the Asgardians themselves should look and act like!" Who would've thought a guy who's most notable credits prior to directing Thor 2 were "Director of some episodes of Game of Thrones" I mean he made Kenneth Branaugh look like a freakin' amateur director!

#33 Posted by munkieKONG (146 posts) - - Show Bio

If peter jackson wins for that movie ...

#34 Posted by acaciopereiraoliveira (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not a matter if what i like and my favorite hero or superhero... Peter Jackson labors a work of love... and the true Lord of the Rings is in a contest withouth rival... loved the man of steek editing -and probably the best movie in other category, but the diretion and scripting goes to the Hobbit... Althought it suffers from beeing the 2 out of 3 (like the Two Towers)... still its the best directed movie, in the ones that were selected. Just a opinion of course.

#35 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm torn between Peter Jackson and Alan Taylor! They both made me very happy.

#36 Edited by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

*cougH Nolan cougH*/tHread

-ABstract4$$#073-

#37 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (7197 posts) - - Show Bio

Jackson

#38 Edited by ghost_rider_888 (34 posts) - - Show Bio

jackson and del toro