The "Change Your Mind About A Character" Thread

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Strider1992

I thought this might be a good idea as I see a lot of people saying they don't like certain characters which of course is to be expected. Not everyone can like everything but the purpose of this thread is to post a character you do not like and have fans of said character recommend story arcs from the character that may change your mind. If after reading the arc suggested you still don't like the character then hey at least you gave it a shot and if you do well you've got another interesting series/character to read/learn about simply because you put your dislike for said character aside for a moment and gave it a shot.

Guess i'll start it off. I don't really like:

• Superman
  • Nightwing
  • Thor
  • Iron Man

Any fans of these characters who can suggest an arc that might make me interested to follow/learn more about them?

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Sharkbite

I hate Superman.

The arc I found that made me like him the most was Red Son. It proved that Lex Luthor was 100% correct and that, even if Superman is being good for the time being, he is simply a product of his upbringing and under the right circumstances, he could turn on earth in a heartbeat. Definately too powerful and dangerous to be left alive.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I used to despise Superman a lot for having so many abilities, being overrated, and way too overpowered, but I'm beginning to like his character a bit more.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Strider1992

@Sharkbite: Thanks i'll check it out!

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Loki9876

@Strider92: okay, why don't you like Iron man?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Strider92: For Superman, you'll want to check out Superman: Birthright. A lot of people will recommend All Star Superman and while that is quite epic, it's sort of a poor starting point for beginners (contrary to popular opinion).  

Kingdom Come has some truly excellent Superman moments, but is a story about DC Earth in general.  

The problem with Supes is that while he is a fantastic character, few writers have understood him, and less have written him well. For a character with around 1500 issues written for him, it would be difficult to list 10 story arcs that are actually good. Not a fault of the character, just writers swinging and missing.  

Here's a blog I wrote a while ago that (while out of date) explains my views on Superman quite well. I used to hate him too.  

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/fadetoblackbolt/an-ode-to-clark-kent/87-50912/
Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Strider1992

@Loki9876: I just find him unlike-able he always seems kind of arrogant and cocky. I can't really picture him being human-ish everything he does seems to just roll-off his back without consequence. Thats the main reason. Any suggestions?

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Strider92 said:

@Loki9876: I just find him unlike-able he always seems kind of arrogant and cocky. I can't really picture him being human-ish everything he does seems to just roll-off his back without consequence.Thats the main reason. Any suggestions?

This is all pretty accurate, tbh. Iron Man isn't misunderstood, he's just a d*ck. When he does suffer as a result of his actions, that story arc is only used to then give him a power upgrade. His fanatical, tyrannical and quite frankly evil actions during Civil War resulted in him getting an intelligence upgrade, better armour, infinite funds again, and a place as leader of the Avengers despite that making no sense. 
SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Strider92: By no means a masterpiece, but I recommend you check out Superman: Earth One (Vol. 1 and Vol. 2). The already mentioned Birthright is another great choice. However, I tend to recommend Superman E1 because for some reason it strikes me as something I'd recommend to someone new to Superman, I can't really explain why.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@SmashBrawler said:

@Strider92: By no means a masterpiece, but I recommend you check out Superman: Earth One (Vol. 1 and Vol. 2). The already mentioned Birthright is another great choice. However, I tend to recommend Superman E1 because for some reason it strikes me as something I'd recommend to someone new to Superman, I can't really explain why.

I'll support the recommendation of Volume 1, but Volume 2 was kind of...bad. Before reading though, it should be mentioned that JMS takes Superman to his furthest Ubermensch sensibilities, in that he's a superman in every respect (supremely intelligent and powerful). 
Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#11  Edited By Deadcool

For the Superman haters/dislikers, read:

• Superman: War of the Worlds (This was the first comic that made me like Superman).
  • All star Superman.
  • Kingdom Come.
  • For the man who has everything (Superman Annual #11).
  • Peace on Earth.
  • Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?

For the Iron Man haters/dislikers, read:

• Iron Man Extremis.
  • Iron Man: Director of Shield.
  • Dark Reign: Iron Man.
  • Iron Man Dissasembled.
  • Ultimate Human.
  • Ultimate Armor Wars.

For the Thor haters/dislikers, read:

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Billy Batson

You should read Alan Moore's short stories such as Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and For The Man Who Has Everything.
Then there's Joe Kelly's AC #775 What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?
For Nightwing: Wolfman's/Perez's New Teen Titans and Dixon's run on Nightwing.
BB

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Loki9876

@Strider92: My opinion is a bit diffirent, sure he has some annoying characteristics, but in my opinion. Certain flaws make stronger characters. I think of him like a superstar. He's liked by most people but for his money and for the Iron man armour. Therefore he doesn't know who his real friends are what results in depression and alcoholism. What I I'm getting at is that I think that deep inside tony is vurneable and hides this fact. and if you want to read something the whole Matt Fraction run of Iron Man is brilliant.

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sharkbite

For Iron Man, there was an issue during Civil War, I believe it was actually an issue of Amazing Spiderman, where Iron Man explains his rational for the Registration in a very self-critical way.

He recounts the story of a time when he was drunk, and then Stilt Man attacked. Tony suited up as Iron Man and was now piloting a billion dollar weapon while he was heavily intoxicated. His actions during that fight nearly killed some bystanders, and they were actually saved by Stilt Man in all irony.

When Tony started ripping on himself as a prime candidate for people who have more power than they were prepared to be responsable for, registration made a lot more sense to me.

Avatar image for mysterioususername
MysteriousUsername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Someone tell me some good Wolverine stories.

While I don't hate the character, I've never been too much of a fan and I really regret getting Old Man Logan(not a bad comic, but the comic in my collection that I like the least as it's not my kind of thing.)

I'd prefer a story where everything isn't covered in a thick coat of grit for once if possible.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Green Lantern. The series/character hasn't don much for me since O'Neil and Adams. To be fair..don't read much GL. (Any GL..Jordan, Stewart, gardner...all suggestions welcome.)

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Jorgevy

@Sharkbite said:

I hate Superman.

The arc I found that made me like him the most was Red Son. It proved that Lex Luthor was 100% correct and that, even if Superman is being good for the time being, he is simply a product of his upbringing and under the right circumstances, he could turn on earth in a heartbeat. Definately too powerful and dangerous to be left alive.

wow that's like the total opposite of what i got from Red Son...

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Target_X

@Strider92: The new Thor comic in Marvel NOW is actually astoundingly good so far. I was never a fan of his either, not really, but I recently picked this up to give it a try and was thoroughly impressed.

For Superman, Kingdom Come, but I see a lot of others have already said that. I can't really help you with the others.

As for me, I dislike Hal Jordan.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#19  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

I used to despise Guy Gardner but now i can tolerate him.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

I can not stand any of the X-Men. Convince me otherwise.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jwalser3

Recommended Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, X-men, and believe it or not....Batman.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3 said:

Recommended Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, X-men, and believe it or not....Batman.

Batman? Umm..what of Batman have you read? So that the many potential request aren't recommending stuff you've read before.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

How far back do you go with the X-men? because there's always this storyline:

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-The-Dark-Phoenix-Saga/dp/0785122133

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 47

#24  Edited By TheCannon

I use to HATE Superman. I just didn't like anything about him (except the animated series). The costume sucked, he was overpowered, his character was lifeless, etc.

But I love him in the New 52. Sure, he's still kind of overpowered. But he's actually good now.

Anyway, I hate these characters:

• Rocket Raccoon
  • Squirrel Girl (seriously, WTF Marvel?)
  • Guy Garner
  • Alan Scott
  • Dick Grayson

You'll never change my mind about SG, RR, or Alan. I just hate them with all my heart.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DarkDay

@Manwhohaseverything said:

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

How far back do you go with the X-men? because there's always this storyline:

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-The-Dark-Phoenix-Saga/dp/0785122133

I'd also add these:

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-God-Loves-Man-Kills/dp/0785157263

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Mutant-Massacre-Chris-Claremont/dp/0785138056/ref=pd_sim_b_9

http://www.amazon.com/Astonishing-X-Men-Omnibus-Joss-Whedon/dp/0785138013/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357009078&sr=1-4&keywords=astonishing+x-men

http://www.amazon.com/Uncanny-X-Force-Dark-Angel-Saga/dp/0785146601/ref=pd_sim_b_17

As for me, I hate Daken. Also Hal Jordan. He's my least favorite Lantern.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jwalser3

@jwalser3 said:

Batman? Umm..what of Batman have you read? So that the many potential request aren't recommending stuff you've read before.

Little to nothing. I've read Knight Fall and Court of Owls I was going to pick up No man's land but didn't.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3 said:

@jwalser3 said:

Little to nothing. I've read Knight Fall and Court of Owls I was going to pick up No man's land but didn't.

For recent stories, I'd say go with HUSH. I can't believe DC has never put the Englehart/Rogers runs from the mid 70's into TPB yet..:(... And to get the collection of back issues would cost around $500. (Same with the O'Neil/Adams run from the early 70's) They do however have Frank Miller's "Year One" and "The Dark Knight Returns" If you don't like any of those, then I'd say you probably won't like many Batman stories.

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By selinaky

Not a huge fan of Deadpool or the X-Men. It's not that I don't like X-Men, I've just never had the chance to get truly into it, don't know where to even start with that one!

Mr_Winchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mr_Winchester

I don't hate Superman, it's just one quality of his in particular that I don't like, the fact that he doesn't kill. Don't know if there are any stories of his that might help change my mind...

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Mr_Winchester said:

I don't hate Superman, it's just one quality of his in particular that I don't like, the fact that he doesn't kill. Don't know if there are any stories of his that might help change my mind...

John Byrne's run.

RoyHarperBLOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RoyHarperBLOW

Can anyone recommend something with Cyclops. I was never interested in his character and he seems like a douche.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Veitha

I hate these characters, but I hate them very very much lol:

1. Rachel Grey

2. Captain America

3. Superman and anything related to him(from Kripton to Supergirl)

And there are some character I think I could never be interested in such as Deadpool, Thor, Black Widow and Batman.

what could I read bout them to change my mind?

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Veitha: There's the story for Superman my screen name is based on "For the Man who has everything"..might especially help you to see that the Krypton angle can be used very creatively. It's Superman annual #11 (I think from 1986-1987 or so..maybe earlier) There's a TPB of Alan Moore's superman stories that also include "Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?" which is also great, but might require a decent chunk of knowledge of Superman's past (The Legion of Super-Heroes, Lana Lang, Pete Ross, and so on.) to fully appreciate. They can all be found here:

//www.amazon.com/Superman-Whatever-Happened-Man-Tomorrow/dp/1401227317/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357577339&sr=1-1&keywords=alan+moore+superman

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Veitha

@Manwhohaseverything: Thanks, I'll check it!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#35  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I hate Superman, Thor, Captian America, Namor, Emma Frost, and Damien Wayne.