Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been a long time since I last wrote a blog. I just don't have the time to devote to it. That said, I just wanted to throw this out into the comicvine world. I am tired of "destruction" of my comic book heroes. The "canon" (if you can call it that) is like putty and is changed at a whim to fill the next story.

Got to love it

Everyone has their time in comics when they thought things were right. When a fan feels that the fantasy world was cohesive. The longer you stay with comics however the more that fantasy world erodes. For example my favorite character it Guy Gardner. I loved him when he was with the JLI and even more so when he had the yellow ring. I loved how he got things wrong, annoyed the other heroes, his noble origins and on and on. Then he was transformed into Warrior. It was unsettling to see my favorite hero transformed so completely. The powers were bad enough (in my humble opinion) but what was worse was the complete and abrupt change in his character. Now, Guy of all characters, was a perfect one to do this with because of his history with personality switches due to being driven mad in the Phantom Zone and the repeated blunt force trauma he received. The changing into Warrior however, still seemed like too much of a shock to my system. It just seemed wrong.

Just an average Guy

The Warrior thing did not catch on and Guy would loose his series and fall into virtual obscurity. After what seemed like forever languishing in the new persona he was finally killed. Crushing me yet again by the unremarkable and nonsensical application of his death. He did not get the heroic death. In my mind Superheroes need at least a heroic death. Not just a few panels in a broad comic with a final "Urk". This should be especially true for heroes who carried their own title for a few years. His death was like what you see in a war movie. He was taken out like he was a random henchman with the word "Thug" written on his shirt. I get two arguments on this issue. Number one is: "That kind of random death makes the world more real knowing a hero can die at any moment." My comment to that would be it is not "more" realistic when they can so easily be brought back to life in the next issue or even a few decades later. Number two is: "He was a 'B' lister anyway." My comment to that would be that he is not a 'B' lister to his fans. It really sucks to have a character you love being snuffed out at the end of the story. It would be like having Tony Stark shot in the head and killed when he confesses to being Iron Man at the end of the first movie. It is just to deflating.

Guy was resurrected coming back from hell in an oddly put together story and then again as a Green Lantern and so on until he was reformed in the New 52. In the New 52 his noble origin is taken away and substituted for a good story but still a less remarkable tale the original. It is not easy being a comic fan for more than ten years. It is if the rules are changing every inning of a baseball game. Hal Jordan has gone through the same kind of changes from being cool, to being bland, to being a jerk, to being a criminal, to being cool again, to being evil, to being a villain, to being an agent of hell, to being a victim, to being what ever you want to call him today. If it hasn't happened to you it will. One day you will wake up and the hero you see will only have a name in common to the one you once loved.

The only Crisis done right

My whole point comes to this. I give up. It is like when a person drowns in water. There is this moment when they know they are going to die and they give in. I am giving in. What I decided is not to go along with these revisionist histories. What I plan to do is make my own headcanon based on the books I love. I'll call it "The Liberty Canon". I will cherry pick what I like and ignore the rest. I'm going to make my own timeline and post it in another blog or on my own webpage of what I think the DC Universe should be. In my universe Ted Kord will live and be a mentor to Jaime Reyes, Barry Allen will not come back from the dead and John Stewart and Kyle Rayner will be earth's Green Lanterns. To me Guy will always have his yellow ring and Hal will stay a villain.

Thanks for reading.

In Liberty we trust. =)

#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
What I plan to do is make my own canon based on the books I love. I'll call it "The Liberty Canon." I will cherry pick what I like and ignore the rest.

Congratulations. You discovered what a headcanon is. :P

#2 Posted by JediXMan (30383 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

What I plan to do is make my own canon based on the books I love. I'll call it "The Liberty Canon." I will cherry pick what I like and ignore the rest.

Congratulations. You discovered what a headcanon is. :P

Headcanon has preserved my sanity for years.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: @JediXMan: I thought that only applied to a group of fans not a "lone nut" So to speak.

#4 Posted by JediXMan (30383 posts) - - Show Bio

@Liberty said:

@InnerVenom123: @JediXMan: I thought that only applied to a group of fans not a "lone nut" So to speak.

Headcanon is what an individual person accepts as canon in order to keep themselves sane. Some people share headcanon, others are alone in their opinion.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@Liberty said:

@InnerVenom123: @JediXMan: I thought that only applied to a group of fans not a "lone nut" So to speak.

Headcanon is what an individual person accepts as canon in order to keep themselves sane. Some people share headcanon, others are alone in their opinion.

Good to know.

#6 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: @JediXMan: I changed the blog accordingly. I'm kind of bummed that it may have made the blog look silly or stupid. As they say there is nothing new under the sun.

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13011 posts) - - Show Bio

I know how you feel. one of my favorite characters, The Creeper has gone through more retcons and changes than Guy. on top of that, it seems like they're replacing him with a NEW Creeper in the april issue of Nightwing.

#8 Posted by Mr_Hudson (300 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why I tend to like works that only have one creative team behind them. The characters are always pretty consistent and most development is organic.

#9 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr_Hudson said:

This is why I tend to like works that only have one creative team behind them. The characters are always pretty consistent and most development is organic.

Till the team changes.

#10 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I morn for you. I can relate. I must admit my only knowledge of the Creeper is from the DCAU and his short lived interaction with the JLI. In both he comes off as a quasi Joker/Animal hybrid with a good guy streak. I am curios to know what you like and why. Broaden my mind so to speak.

#11 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Liberty said:

@Mr_Hudson said:

This is why I tend to like works that only have one creative team behind them. The characters are always pretty consistent and most development is organic.

Till the team changes.

Well I meant creator owned stuff like webcomics. :V

#12 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5429 posts) - - Show Bio

I like your idea and look forward to your canon DC. I like that Ted is alive in your DC :)

#13 Edited by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

There's more or less 52 universes in DC and more than 616 in marvel's.

Pick one for you, where you can call everything you like canon, and ignore everything you didn't like.

(In my world, the New 52 Harley Quinn is a clone, Nightwing Pre-52 stories are still canon.and a lot more of weird things...)

#14 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13011 posts) - - Show Bio

@Liberty said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I morn for you. I can relate. I must admit my only knowledge of the Creeper is from the DCAU and his short lived interaction with the JLI. In both he comes off as a quasi Joker/Animal hybrid with a good guy streak. I am curios to know what you like and why. Broaden my mind so to speak.

you pretty much nailed a big part of the character. the original version of him actually had more in common with Batman himself, but still manged to juggle that incredibly fun, manic energy with that dramatic predatory feel that you get from characters like Batman or the Shadow.

His civilian half Jack Ryder was fairly interesting as well. The original version was a hard nosed, ayn randian journalist like Vic Sage but he was later altered into much more sympathetic character, Len Kaminski re-imagined him as a Bruce Banner type character and gave him and the Creeper a relationship similar to the Bruce/gray hulk relationship which offered an interesting psychological dynamic.

but all good things come to an end. especially when writers like Dan Didio, Chuck Austen, and Steve Niles got to him ( to be fair, my only real complaint with Niles version was that he connected the Creeper's origin to the Joker which i personally was not fond of)

#15 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Way to go Liberty! I've been 'head-canoning' for a while now. Awesome!

#16 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

That's how I roll. Especially w/the new-52 no-reason changes.

#17 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I didn't like the connection with Joker either. It took away a lot of individuality. In the JLI Jack was a talk show like correspondent who regularly slammed the league. The bad part was is the stories just petered out on that. At the time I was wondering what was going to happen but nothing ever did.

@RedheadedAtrocitus: That is funny. I don't know what it is from but that was great.

#18 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13011 posts) - - Show Bio

@Liberty said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I didn't like the connection with Joker either. It took away a lot of individuality. In the JLI Jack was a talk show like correspondent who regularly slammed the league. The bad part was is the stories just petered out on that. At the time I was wondering what was going to happen but nothing ever did.

Agreed 100%. according to JLA secret files, Creeper was a reserve member of the team (the team was to creeped out by him to take him as a regular member). Imagine how great it could have been if he had actually joined up with them. i bet he could have even surpassed Guy as the team trouble maker

#19 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Liberty: If you have a copy of Superior Spider-Man issue 3, read the letters section... there's a guy in there, Nathan H..., who wrote a letter and it deals with exactly what you're talking about... he got into comics about the time that One More Day was happening and he couldn't understand why so many fans were upset and talking about giving up the Spider-Man series... and now, years later, he feels the same way they did back then... because of Super Spider-Man... He finally gets it... As YOU said, if you read comics long enough..... you invest a part of yourself in the stories and you feel a connection to the characters and stories... and then some asshat comes along and just erases all that......

#20 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: How cool would it be to have Guy and Creeper deal with each other. That would be hilarious.

@Timandm said:

@Liberty: If you have a copy of Superior Spider-Man issue 3, read the letters section... there's a guy in there, Nathan H..., who wrote a letter and it deals with exactly what you're talking about... he got into comics about the time that One More Day was happening and he couldn't understand why so many fans were upset and talking about giving up the Spider-Man series... and now, years later, he feels the same way they did back then... because of Super Spider-Man... He finally gets it... As YOU said, if you read comics long enough..... you invest a part of yourself in the stories and you feel a connection to the characters and stories... and then some asshat comes along and just erases all that......

From your mouth to God's ears. Awesomely said. Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have that issue. I wish I did... now.

#21 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

What I plan to do is make my own canon based on the books I love. I'll call it "The Liberty Canon." I will cherry pick what I like and ignore the rest.

Congratulations. You discovered what a headcanon is. :P

Headcanon has preserved my sanity for years.

QFT

#22 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I am seriously going to do this or at least give it an honest try. I thought I could build a time line. For most of it I will establish it in "years ago" Like Guy Gardner became a Green Lantern XX years ago. For historical characters I'll have actual dates. Like Jonah Hex has to be in the American Civil War. So I could say he enlisted in 186X.

I'll also do it one character at a time without mentioning other characters. So I would establish when Guy went to U of M, joining the Corps and getting the ring. Then I'll add the next character like Hal Jordan, Ice, and Batman. When I add a new character I establish when their time line crosses the already established time line. So when I add Hal I can say he got the ring first and took Guy's Ring. Basically broadening why Guy got the yellow ring and so on.

If this makes sense to you and you want to add Creeper's canon in the Liberty Canon. I will welcome your help.

#23 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13011 posts) - - Show Bio

@Liberty said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I am seriously going to do this or at least give it an honest try. I thought I could build a time line. For most of it I will establish it in "years ago" Like Guy Gardner became a Green Lantern XX years ago. For historical characters I'll have actual dates. Like Jonah Hex has to be in the American Civil War. So I could say he enlisted in 186X.

I'll also do it one character at a time without mentioning other characters. So I would establish when Guy went to U of M, joining the Corps and getting the ring. Then I'll add the next character like Hal Jordan, Ice, and Batman. When I add a new character I establish when their time line crosses the already established time line. So when I add Hal I can say he got the ring first and took Guy's Ring. Basically broadening why Guy got the yellow ring and so on.

If this makes sense to you and you want to add Creeper's canon in the Liberty Canon. I will welcome your help.

that sounds great. I'd love to add Creeper : )

#24 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Liberty: I could post of scan of that letter if you'd like to see it?

#25 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

@Liberty: I could post of scan of that letter if you'd like to see it?

That would be awesome.

#26 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@Liberty: Well, awesome I am... LOL!  At least, that's my story and I'm sticking with it...
 

.
#27 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: Thank you for posting that. I loved it. Kudos to Marvel for even printing it.

#28 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13011 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this still going on?

#29 Edited by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

Good idea!

Good for you.

I don't blame you.