#1 Posted by Inverno (13315 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you guys think the scene in The Dark Knight Rises where Bane breaks Batman's back was too abrupt and anti-climatic or should have been more emotive and longer?

#2 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio

It could have been better.

#3 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

Not nearly as good as it's comic equivalent.

#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a necessary thread. 

#5 Posted by JediXMan (30949 posts) - - Show Bio

I did not like it. I'm not asking for slow motion, because that does not suit Nolan's Batman, but it could have been better. I wanted to see Batman broken over Bane's knee, not just slammed into it. Very anti-climactic, and the entire... I guess the first third of the movie was incredibly rushed to the point where I couldn't take anything in.

For further reading, see my review.

#6 Posted by dondave (38535 posts) - - Show Bio

I did not like it. I'm not asking for slow motion, because that does not suit Nolan's Batman, but it could have been better. I wanted to see Batman broken over Bane's knee, not just slammed into it. Very anti-climactic, and the entire... I guess the first third of the movie was incredibly rushed to the point where I couldn't take anything in.

This

#7 Posted by Joygirl (20063 posts) - - Show Bio

My mom gasped out loud when it happened, so I think maybe we are jaded to it, expected more.

#8 Posted by JediXMan (30949 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

My mom gasped out loud when it happened, so I think maybe we are jaded to it, expected more.

I guess from that perspective it might be a little shocking, but really, everybody who follows comics saw that scene coming a mile away. It just didn't do the moment justice.

#9 Posted by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually don't understand this scene. If Bane broke Batman's back, shouldn't Batman be paralyzed or invalid or stuff like that?

#10 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14959 posts) - - Show Bio

When I saw the title I thought of this.

@JimTheSurfer: It's called the magic rope of healing.

#11 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7909 posts) - - Show Bio

I found the way it was filmed to be slightly distracting and a bit to close, I get that it was a very confined space and the fight was supposed to be like that, but I felt a lot of it was slightly underwhelming.

#12 Posted by Inverno (13315 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

This is a necessary thread.

Well I didn't expect that...

#13 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2016 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

When I saw the title I thought of this.

#14 Posted by drixaeterna (30 posts) - - Show Bio

there was a part of that scene where he throws one of those smoke thingies...the smoke was so thin, I don't see how it would have distracted anyone...

#15 Posted by Strider92 (16737 posts) - - Show Bio

@JimTheSurfer said:

I actually don't understand this scene. If Bane broke Batman's back, shouldn't Batman be paralyzed or invalid or stuff like that?

If I recall correctly his back wasn't broken. The guy in the pit told him that some vertebrae had become dislocated. No back break.

#16 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3563 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been a while since I saw it, but I believe that I did like that scene. He really got his butt whooped for a couple of minutes and then it happened. I don't think it was too abrupt, I think the quickness of the fight adequately showed Bane's superiority.

But again, I saw it just the one time in theatres on opening night. My memory's a little fuzzy.

#17 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

It could have been better.
#18 Posted by TheCannon (19008 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was a truly epic moment. The effects could of been a little better, but it was still great. Easily among the greatest moments of the film.

#20 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

It was mostly perfect. Camera angle was Meh, but the actual slam was perfect. Nolanverse is grounded in reality, and there is no way any practical fighter would break someone's back like Bane did in the comics.

#21 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

It was incredibly anti-climatic.

#22 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23233 posts) - - Show Bio

I think if it had a little slow mo and panning out to Bruce's face during the impact would have been a little better. On the other hand, would have become unintentionally hilarious if his facial expression read to something like. "OoOoOoOoOoOOoOoOoOOoohhhhhhhh my back is broken!!!!"

#23 Posted by JediXMan (30949 posts) - - Show Bio
@jedixman said:

What this guy said.

#24 Posted by comicace3 (6032 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Honestly I can't remember it, but I 'm sure I agree with the statement above.