The Biggest Complaints About the Comic Book Industry--Collected!!

• 150 results
Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Edited By Darkmount1

We're two months in to 2012, and already there has been controversy after controversy in the realm of the comic book industry and the books put out. Some are arguments and problems that have been brewing even before we hit the 2010's, going back as far as the "Dark/Dork Age" of comics in the late 80's to early 90's, and as recent as the mid-to-late 2000's. After reading article after article, blog post after blog post, editorial after editorial, I decided to compile the points each made into what can be identified as the biggest and most prominent problems/cons/negatives/issues that are latched onto the industry that we (sometimes reluctantly) support. Perhaps I'll do a follow-up during the holidays, so I can make this a list of grievances in time for Festivus.

1. Creator rights and the ensuing legal wars that follow

Though this subject goes all the way back to before any of us were born, it still haunts the industry today, thanks to long-running struggles between DC and the Siegel/Shuster families and Marvel vs the Kirby heirs, and fiascoes as recent as the Gary Friedrich case and Alan Moore's denouncement of the "Before Watchmen" prequels. Camps can be easily divided into three: there's the people who support the companies, those who side with the creators, and those in the middle who just don't care or are confused. Whether you want to raise a banner for either side, are pro or anti-work-for-hire, ultimately the one thing to blame for this sword of Damocles hanging over the comic industry is this: the often-manipulated U.S. legal system. If it's anything that's truly suffered, it's U.S. copyright law, for being constantly rewritten and invoked in times where a company wants to keep its profits up, or creators (and sometimes their families) who want to reclaim what they believe is rightfully theirs. If Copyright Law were a living being, there's only one thing I could imagine it saying:

"I AM A HUMAN BEING!!"

Oh, US Copyright Law, how sorry I feel for you so.

2. Depiction of Women in Mainstream Superhero Comic Books

Next to creator rights, the portrayal of women of comic books--mostly the mainstream super hero output of DC and Marvel--is the most hotly debated topic among fans and industry veterans. Whether it be about how revealing or covered-up their costumes are, how intelligent or relatable, how fat or thin, how strong or weak, how sexy or "sexy" they are, this is a very, very divisive subject, one that may never be resolved, until someone takes radical action. And then there's the debate over solutions to the problem: 'getting more women creators', 'giving Wonder Woman pants', 'making the books appeal more to female readers', etc. etc. etc. No one has a clear answer without any counterpoints made, so I classify this particular scuffle as an "infinite issue", doomed to go on and one with no end. Finally, there's the debate over reader tastes: 'are men turned off or on by stronger women characters', 'will women readers not care either way', 'are women militant about seeing advancements in comics', 'will the mostly larger male fanbase oppose efforts to change comic stories', 'why aren't the MEN as sexualized'---it's a BIG headache. What's a good example of this debate in action? Look no further than this recent entry in Kelly Thompson's "She Has No Head!" column on Comic Book Resources' Comics Should Be Good blog:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/02/21/she-has-no-head-no-its-not-equal/#comments

Personally, the only reason(s) we are even having this problem/debate right now is because as our medium changed during the 1990's and the 2000's, characters were becoming more 'photo-realistic' with exaggerated features here and there, as an aura of 'cinamaticism' was added to comics in an attempt to make them more 'interesting'. The sheer fact that comics outside those in kid's lines lack that 'animated' feel as of late is downright disturbing. (There are some exceptions, I know.)

3. Events that leave little to no impact

Indie comics have become a toast of the fan community for those tired of the endless escapades of corporate-owned properties, and it doesn't help that we live in an era of 'writing for the trade', constant short-lived character death after short-lived character death, and events that clog the shelves with enough tie-ins to fill the Albert Hall. Nowadays, when one reader has gone through the death of a beloved character, only for that same character to pop up alive and well after a short period of time, you can almost always expect the following reaction:

It's possible that unless the major comic companies finally realize what fans truly want, we're going to keep seeing these for a long time--much to half the fandom's chagrin.

4. Comic Shops that aren't exactly "customer-friendly"

When most people think of comic shops, that sometimes rare, dying breed of retail outlet, some think of the smell of faded newsprint, dim lightbulbs, countless statues and busts, and one Jeff Albertson; though some shops have improved their atmosphere in recent years, the particular stereotype of the musty, faded store with the surly owner at the register still sticks out to those who aren't necessarily comics fans, and fans who are jaded from the once-in-a-while poor comic shop experience. All is not lost, however--there are those who have the sense to do comic shops "right", like one Michael Doll, owner of Green Dragon in Ithaca, New York:

http://kleefeldoncomics.blogspot.com/2012/02/green-dragon-interview.html

5. A problem that pretty much speaks for itself:

Where ARE the children in all this, the audience that comic books were ORIGINALLY intended for? People ask what comics are good for kids nowadays, and 80% of the time they get referred to indie books. What about output from the Big Two? Sure, they have kid-oriented lines, but what about the stage where kids may want to get into the regular comics as they get older? Also good questions that have been debated heavily on various forums and websites. But I bet there's just one question that hasn't been asked yet: who in their right minds allowed the comic stories to mature along with the longtime readers, robbing the books of the ability that any product aimed for kids possesses, that of constantly adapting/reinventing itself to bring in the fresher, younger faces???

Eric Stephenson, the current marketing director for Image Comics, couldn't have summed it up better than this: "I don't think I need to tell anyone that it's a time of tremendous change for the comics industry." While he refers to the rise of digital comics and the need to support the direct market, you could debate the validity of his quote in light of the aforementioned 5 problems. I see people complain, chime in, snark or otherwise comment on these particular issues whenever they're brought up on various websites and blogs. To those who have done this a lot, I now pose this question to you:

If you have a problem (or 5) with the current state of the comic industry, what are you going to do about it THIS YEAR, and WILL you actually do it?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Decoy Elite

I'm going to keep spamming my support for webcomics.

They're kicking the crap out of mainstream comics when it comes to creativity and I think their potential is only expanding. I can only hope that more webcomics follow Homestuck's lead, allowing for more versatile webcomics.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By azza04

awesome blog mate, very well written.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

well written blog 

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

Honestly, I think the only thing I can do is support the books I do like, which is what Ive always done. I also think that it's a good idea for me to step away from the debate every now and then. Sometimes, I get a little caught up in flame wars to find and enjoy newer books, be they mainstream or indie, or webcomics. The things people want are out there, they just have to find them.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#5  Edited By RazzaTazz

Depiction of women creates issues for sure, but I generally go for the best written characters anyway.  It does bother me sometimes how they are drawn, but if the characters are strong I look past it.  

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Darkmount1

@Decoy Elite: How do you 'spam' your support?

@GundamHeavyarms: Would you agree that most people can't find them because of a lack of info?

@RazzaTazz: Does it hit home for you if it's a strong character AND is drawn a little more "tasteful"?

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

@Darkmount1: Yes, I would say that's true. I know that there was an article last week about word of mouth not being enough for indie books, the coverage of them are small compared to the coverage of mainstream stuff. Even the good mainstream books get over shadowed by the constant coverage of the bad mainstream stuff. The New 52 Flash, Aquaman, and Animal Man have been great, but you don't hear as much about them as you have the Red Hood or Catwoman.

Two of my favorite books are Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man. Ian Flynn has been doing a great job on them. They're fun, action packed, and there's some drama in there too, those are the books that you can enjoy at 5, 15, or 50.

I can't necessarily blame the sites for not posting the good stuff, they have to give the people what they want, and if they want the bad stuff, then that's what they'll get. I think that there should be more balance.

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Decoy Elite said:

They're kicking the crap out of mainstream comics when it comes to creativity and I think their potential is only expanding. I can only hope that more webcomics follow Homestuck's lead, allowing for more versatile webcomics.

u ever read Its Walky

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Manchine

Some webcomics are good. Some are horrible. There are a lot of them and different ones for everyone. There are ones people tell me are good but to me they suck and viceversa. As for OP I agree with all points.

@Decoy Elite said:

Nearl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nearl

i like that old comic shop smell

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Darkmount1

@Nearl: Seriously??? Why???

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#12  Edited By RazzaTazz
@Darkmount1: Depends but generally yes.  My faves among DC female characters are Wonder Woman, Soranik, Carol Ferris and Voodoo, so there is a lot of differences in representation among them
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By ReVamp

I'd like to add that a month's gap is a long time if you're not used to it.

Nearl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nearl

why wouldn't you like that smell

it's delicious

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Darkmount1

@aztek_the_lost: Buddy, that's not a revolutionary idea--that's the easy way out.

@Nearl: Some people would, maybe, but what about the potential customers who might be put off?

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Darkmount1

@aztek_the_lost: Your idea is valid, it's just a matter of convincing every comic fan in the country to try it out. And convincing them to make better judgement when trying to introduce people to the medium. And there are other ways too...(with the last resort being somehow convincing the entirety of the media to be a little more progressive....).

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Darkmount1

@aztek_the_lost: ............Fine. (Stupid political undertones...) Is it a crime to think people ought to use their brains more in a buyer's market???

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Manchine: True, but I fell there are some big innovators in terms of what they can do with content and I'm hoping to nuture that by trying to get more people on board with those kind of webcomics.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Manchine

I agree.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lykopis

**sigh.**

...anyHOO...

1) Can't do anything about this. Its unfortunate that laws stand as they are, but to make enough noise to change this? Not on my list.

2) This is a biggee - biggest one on my list. Its wrong and should change. There is no defence for the objectification of either gender - just so happens it is more pervasive in regards to females. Spectacular article by the way. As for the comic industry giving what its fans want? Well - they are listening. Some things are changing, more enlightened fans are taking notice, and hopefully this continues.

3) Products are products. Gotta grab the attention of fans, especially when you are in the business of trying to retain (and attract) customers. How do you compete with video games, etc? Its "look at me, LOOK AT ME!!!" tactics. We'll get used to it.

4) I live in a large city - I have lots of choice in comic stores. But I do understand your points.

5) This one is a concern. I got into comics as a kid - loved it, and don't see that happening anymore. There are some comics that can be perused by children, but again - video-games? Kind of hard. Maybe get more graphic novels in schools - try it that way.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Darkmount1

@lykopis:

2. Some examples of progress as of late??

3. How about instead of competing with video games--they come up with ways to work with them?

5. It'd also depend on the content of said graphic novels, and figuring out at what stage of their lives would they get into comics before video games step in.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lykopis

@Darkmount1 said:

@lykopis:

3. How about instead of competing with video games--they come up with ways to work with them?

5. It'd also depend on the content of said graphic novels, and figuring out at what stage of their lives would they get into comics before video games step in.

2) Just a tiny bit of progress - I am pointing out the re-design of Power Girl as one. Still, a long, long way to go.

3) True - but then again, isn't putting out games with DC/Marvel characters already them working together? Maybe carrying some storylines that lead into the comics or vice versa?

5) Exactly. Tiny Titans is a good one that can be brought forward.

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By redleigh86

@Darkmount1: Interesting blog and I agree with a lot of, particularly #2 and #4, however I take issue with this:

Personally, the only reason(s) we are even having this problem/debate right now is because as our medium changed during the 1990's and the 2000's, characters were becoming more 'photo-realistic' with exaggerated features here and there, as an aura of 'cinamaticism' was added to comics in an attempt to make them more 'interesting'. The sheer fact that comics outside those in kid's lines lack that 'animated' feel as of late is downright disturbing. (There are some exceptions, I know.)

That is nowhere near the only reason, and the depiction of women in comics was an issue long before the 90s. It's so much more than just the physical depiction of women that's the problem. I know this is a wikipedia link, but damn does it do a good job of explaining the problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrayal_of_women_in_comics . It's how women are treated and the roles they're given. It's even worse for racial/ethnic/religious/sexual minorities. But anyway, I suggest looking at the sources on that wikipedia page to read up even more about it. As a male it's inherently more difficult for you to understand the problem with women in comics because it's not something that effects you personally and how you're viewed by men - as a woman though, it's obvious to me (and I'm sure the other women here on comicvine) that the issue is more than just the art.

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By redleigh86

@Darkmount1 said:

@lykopis:

In ref to 2 - female characters are being drawn without ginormous breasts and Barbie waists (a few at least), they're not being told they should be doing "women's" work rather than fighting crime or pursuing careers, they're not being disregarded or ignored or underestimated simply because of their gender... again, a few are at least. But it's spreading to a lot of comics. Honestly I think Stella Olemaun is a decent female character, given the material. And Carrie Stetko. And perhaps some of the women in Fables. A discussion of the changes for the good and what's still around of the bad is here http://www.denofgeek.com/comics/1126496/the_changing_role_of_women_in_comic_books.html . http://girlsreadcomics.com/ is trying to compile a list of the best female characters, but even still a lot of the options are... :/

Another discussion of the bad, though: http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/women.html and here http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/r-gsimone.html and here http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/10/13/female-characters-superhero-comics/ and this site discusses it quite a lot http://www.comicbookgrrrl.com/ and this is a thesis about the portrayal of women in comics when comics first started to get big http://www.mcnair-program.pdx.edu/MaryjaneDunne_Journal%20Aritcle.pdf a list of some of the worst http://www.feministfrequency.com/2011/04/tropes-vs-women-2-women-in-refrigerators/ and another good article discussing the problems http://www.badhaven.com/featured-posts/are-superheroes-sexist-the-truth-about-women-in-comics/ and of course the great Kate Beaton here http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/06/28/strong-female-characters-webcomic-kate-beaton/ .

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Darkmount1

@redleigh86: I know of the other problems too, don't insult my intellect. I was being personal with that sentence, I apologize. Perhaps I should've rephrased it a bit, right?

Outside the character depiction problem, what are your thoughts on 3 and 5?

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By redleigh86

@Darkmount1: I'm not insulting your intellect I'm telling you that that's outright wrong. The source of the problem of the portrayal of women in comics is older and deeper than the just the physical. It's like having an "opinion" that the sky isn't blue, it's red. It's not red, it's blue. It may be red sometimes, around dawn or dusk, but it's mostly always blue. The physical appearance of women in comics, given the more "cinematic" turns of art of recent, makes that a recent problem (even though even that's not really true, as they've almost always been shown with Barbie proportions). Insisting it's just because of the way they're drawn is trivializing the problem. The art is a symptom of the attitude.

Also, as a man it is difficult if not impossible for you to know what it's like for a woman. It's the equivalent of a white man telling a black man he knows how it feels to experience discrimination as a black man. He can sympathize, but cannot empathize.

eta: I clarified this, as I'm not trying to start any debates on race. That's not my intention nor what this discussion is about, and terminology varies enough that it could cause some friction.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Darkmount1

@redleigh86: Geez, geez, GEEZ! Okay, I get it, I'M COMPLETELY OFF! Sorry!

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By redleigh86

@Darkmount1 said:

Outside the character depiction problem, what are your thoughts on 3 and 5?

I think they're both valid complaints. 3 is annoying and something that was brought up a lot with all the recent reboots, but I think it's a difficult thing to fix, especially for the long-running universes. Eventually things need to be retconned or erased or changed or forgotten just so characters can return or new stories can be done. There's only so much can be done. It's why no one in comics ever ages. And why AUs seem to be pretty popular-- it's a way of seeing your favorite characters in a new way and engage in new situations and experience that have no bearing on the "primary" world. I think by shifting universes more often the longer-running comics would feel "fresher", but it'd probably piss off those fans who are attached to "their" universe lol.

Five has been a problem for a long time, except I don't really think it's a problem. There are comics out there for kids, a lot of comics in fact. It's just that some of the big ones are more for older kids (like 7, 8 plus). But I think it's mostly an issue of parents not wanting to parent their children. My mom was quite active in attempting to choose entertainment appropriate for my age. The only comics I was allowed before the age of 7 or 8 were Archie Comics, and those in the newspaper. It's not the comic industries job to parent, censor, or provide entertainment just for children. The variety is there and it's on the parents to involve themselves in their kids interests and help them find appropriate reading.

eta: I clarified.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vortex13

My comic book store smells fine. And pretty much everyone I've been to isn't dirty, dingy, or unorganized. Really don't think that stereotype is an actuality to be honest. And all except one of the comic book stores I've gone to the owners were all helpful. I've never had that issue, ever.

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By redleigh86

@Darkmount1: Don't think I'm trying to attack you or anything either, because I'm really not. It's just something that means a lot to me and it's an issue you're clearly aware of, which is good (especially since I know so many men who deny it's a problem ugh), so I just wanted to... well, educate sounds pompous, which also isn't my intention. I just wanted to show you there's more to it.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Darkmount1

@redleigh86: I agree strongly on the AU bit--as Tom Bondurant on CBR says it, they're popular approaches because the depictions of characters like Superman/Batman/Spider-Man are called "ideal aggregations" since they're made up of the best bits of the characters' history. As for your bit on 5--yeah, it's a recurring bit in the debate over kids comics. As the most recent saying of it by Brian Griffin goes (though the focus for that particular Family Guy episode was television), "Responsibility lies with the parents." Truth be told, it can get annoying if it's repeated over and over again without the parents ACTUALLY taking heed.

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By redleigh86

@Vortex13 said:

My comic book store smells fine. And pretty much everyone I've been to isn't dirty, dingy, or unorganized. Really don't think that stereotype is an actuality to be honest. And all except one of the comic book stores I've gone to the owners were all helpful. I've never had that issue, ever.

You don't want to go to my local comic shop then! I had an awful, awful, awful experience there, and it was dirty and smelly D:

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Darkmount1

@redleigh86: Sorry, it's just I can be a little sensitive---and feel pretty ridiculous when I get called out on something.

Also, was the person running your LCS anything like Comic Book Guy?

@Vortex13: I didn't say EVERY store fit that stereotype--it's just that a lot of people outside the comic fan community would probably think so (a bit).

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vortex13

@redleigh86 said:

@Darkmount1: I'm not insulting your intellect I'm telling you that that's outright wrong. The source of the problem of the portrayal of women in comics is older and deeper than the just the physical. It's like having an "opinion" that the sky isn't blue, it's red. It's not red, it's blue. It may be red sometimes, around dawn or dusk, but it's mostly always blue. The physical appearance of women in comics, given the more "cinematic" turns of art of recent, makes that a recent problem (even though even that's not really true, as they've almost always been shown with Barbie proportions). Insisting it's just because of the way they're drawn is trivializing the problem. The art is a symptom of the attitude.

Also, as a man it is difficult if not impossible for you to know what it's like for a woman. It's the equivalent of a white man telling a black man he knows how racism feels. He can sympathize, but cannot empathize.

Very well said.

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By redleigh86

@Darkmount1: I agree. Parents not wanting to take responsibility for the parenting of their children has been a problem for a long time lol It's likely to never change :(

Not that there aren't good parents. It's the few bads ones who are the most vocal (which goes for everything of course).

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By redleigh86

@Darkmount1: I understand that. I really didn't mean to make you feel ridiculous. Trust me, I've been called out plenty of times as well lol.

And my local comic shop guys... yeah, they were kind like the character from The Simpsons, but meaner and more blatantly sexist. Their problem though. I've easily spent several hundreds of dollars, if not more, on comics in the last few years, and those sales ended up going to good comic shops!

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Darkmount1

@redleigh86: You're forgiven. And on the subject of you spending good money at much better shops, I guess the only thing that could be said to your local Comic Book Guys is something very fitting: HA-HA!

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jorgevy

I agree with all points except partially for #2

Id explain all the points and my opinion on them better but not today, dont have time. But yes, we definitly need some kind of revolution (evolution?) in comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 - The enviroment for creator owned and/or self published comics is in a better state than ever before, with the rise of multiple independent comic imprints as well as webcomics, This is no longer an age where working for marvel or DC and having zero rights over your creations was the only option to get into the industry. This is an issue that is resolving itself and while issues exist from earlier times this is going in the right direction. Also we have to remember in many cases the creators knew the deal going in, so while they did not have much choice, they were not mislead.

2 - I do not see the readership of comics changing that much from the (guessing) 10-1 ratio it is now. Comic companies taking in the demographic and slanting it towards the largest represented group is to be expected, but I agree that at times it is taken too far. This trend peaked in the 90's and has been slowly reigned in over time, again nowhere near perfect but heading in the right direction. Marvel and DC would like to gain the elusive New Female Reader, but they are losing sales so fast they will not risk losing their core male market to make anything more than a feeble attempt to cultivate it.

3 - As stated already, everyone bitches yet everyone buys, why would they care about quality over quantity if they get the result they want? Sales numbers determine these events and all the data says they are doing the right thing in the short term, although I think it hurts them in the long term by alienating the most devoted of readers.

4 - Also as previously stated, with the internet and big box bookstores there is no reason you ever need to enter a LCS for the most part. Like any business if you run you do not change with the times and differentiate yourself form the pack, you will be left behind. I have seen enough LCS that look like flea markets to know what you mean, but if they are slobs and run their shop as such they deserve to go out of business.

5 - I agree that not having a line of comics designed for younger readers available at all the outlets (supermarkets, drugstores, newsstands) severely hampers bringing in new readers when they are young and not discovering the books in their teens or young adulthood. I also believe that there is really not an economic solution to this, as if you do not get them next to the check outs at Wal Mart you are not going to get far in the volume that Marvel and DC require. The current books have evolved to cater to the slowly aging demographic as the readership has changed from pre-teens to young adults over time.

6 - As for what will I do? Exactly what I do now, buy the comics I feel are worth my money and hope the people in charge of the industry find a way to meet the needs of the creative and economic sides at the same time. If the industry actually came to me and asked for my input I would be happy to help, but that's as likely as winning the lottery so what I can actually do is limited

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Darkmount1

@WarMachineMarkV: ............................................................Wow. A little cynical there, aren't we??? Your points are valid, I know that, but the big point of this particular blog post is this: numerous message boards and forums and all sorts of info hubs have debated all these points to near-death, and many are on the side of simply going with what they feel is best for the here and now---why should it continue, when it's possible to do the opposite, AND make a difference in really forcing the mainstream industry to TRULY progress??? The heck with the majority of the core male market--as an old (and greatly used) saying goes: can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Darkmount1 said:

@WarMachineMarkV: ............................................................Wow. A little cynical there, aren't we??? Your points are valid, I know that, but the big point of this particular blog post is this: numerous message boards and forums and all sorts of info hubs have debated all these points to near-death, and many are on the side of simply going with what they feel is best for the here and now---why should it continue, when it's possible to do the opposite, AND make a difference in really forcing the mainstream industry to TRULY progress??? The heck with the majority of the core male market--as an old (and greatly used) saying goes: can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

- Cynical, maybe, but I would say realistic is a more suitable description.

- You talk about making a difference and forcing(?) the industry to improve themselves, but you are vastly overstating the fans ability to do so and/or even agree enough to make a coherent message for the industry to potentially follow.

- I have listened to as many opinions on here and other media that would IMO hurt the industry more than help, not to mention getting any significant number to agree on anything is difficult. Unless you have a large enough collection of people of similar mind and conviction, with the potential to cost an industry to a level they are forced to listen and notice, your not going to change anything.

- As for your comment that "to heck with the male majority", they are not a few, but 11 of the dozen eggs in the carton. I understand that your intentions are for the best but I simply cannot follow what your expectations are and what you expect can actually be done

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By difficlus

@azza04 said:

awesome blog mate, very well written.

this this this, very well made blog

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Darkmount1

@WarMachineMarkV: Crud. I really need to work on that. I guess in a way, I expect the comic industry to start acting a little more like the toy industry (with regards to action figure lines like GI Joe and Transformers): you have to change every number of years in order to hook in new people, with a tiny sliver of your output to keep the older fans in mind. In the case of Transformers, they did it for the kids with the movie-based lines, but for the hardcore collectors, there was the Classics/Generations line. Even before then, when the Unicron trilogy toys were out, the kids had something, while the collectors had things like the Commemorative Series line of 80's figure reissues. The comic industry should be like that: the majority of the output designed to keep the flow of younger consumers going, while setting aside something for the standbys.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Darkmount1 said:

@WarMachineMarkV: Crud. I really need to work on that. I guess in a way, I expect the comic industry to start acting a little more like the toy industry (with regards to action figure lines like GI Joe and Transformers): you have to change every number of years in order to hook in new people, with a tiny sliver of your output to keep the older fans in mind. In the case of Transformers, they did it for the kids with the movie-based lines, but for the hardcore collectors, there was the Classics/Generations line. Even before then, when the Unicron trilogy toys were out, the kids had something, while the collectors had things like the Commemorative Series line of 80's figure reissues. The comic industry should be like that: the majority of the output designed to keep the flow of younger consumers going, while setting aside something for the standbys.

- Marvel Comics shared domination with DC of a niche industry where sales were good for a very long time and they did not see a need to change or evolve until the sky was already falling. Like GM and Chrysler I'm sure the people in charge thought nothing could ever take them down and that hubris cost them dearly.

- Having an entry level line free of continuity for younger readers would help, but I'm not sure how to roll it out and be successful would occur, more thought needed on that.

- The biggest problem is that Marvel does not reveal much of the inner workings and all we get are canned marketing fluff about how great every title is and how excited we all are for upcoming events and without that its hard to determine a course of action when we are guessing on most of the causes.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Darkmount1

@WarMachineMarkV: Well then, I guess it's time for a little change in management (proceeds to walk out with a bottle of chloroform and some rags).....

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lykopis

@WarMachineMarkV said:

@Darkmount1 said:

- Cynical, maybe, but I would say realistic is a more suitable description.

- You talk about making a difference and forcing(?) the industry to improve themselves, but you are vastly overstating the fans ability to do so and/or even agree enough to make a coherent message for the industry to potentially follow.

- I have listened to as many opinions on here and other media that would IMO hurt the industry more than help, not to mention getting any significant number to agree on anything is difficult. Unless you have a large enough collection of people of similar mind and conviction, with the potential to cost an industry to a level they are forced to listen and notice, your not going to change anything.

- As for your comment that "to heck with the male majority", they are not a few, but 11 of the dozen eggs in the carton. I understand that your intentions are for the best but I simply cannot follow what your expectations are and what you expect can actually be done

All interesting points and while I acknowledge that it is mostly a male market, that same male market has a sizeable group within it that also object to how some female characters are presented. It's not just female fans that have an issue and to add to that, there is quite conceivably a group of females as well that don't have an issue at all. I do agree that the comic industry will cater to it's largest demographic - it is a business after all - but making noise and holding it up to examination is always a good thing. Slowly but surely things will change.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Darkmount1