The Big Three, right now are..

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Bezza

Iron Man, Batman and Spiderman!!.....This is based on social media page facebook, where Iron man has 15 million likes, Batman 9.9 and Spiderman 8 million, according to MSN.

Superman is down on 5 million.

It tends to back up what I've been saying for a while, that due to the fabulous success of the Iron Man films and RDJs part in the Avengers, Iron Man has catapulted himself into the big 3 on current popularity. Perhaps also surprising is how much more popular Batman is much more popular than Superman, demonstrating just how influential a few blockbuster films can be if they hit the right chord with people!! No wonder WB are doing a Batman/Superman film, before the JLA! It does show how big screen success creates a fan base amongst the general public.

DCs Flash and Green Lantern are no where by comparison, with the Hulk pulling slightly more than Superman, on 5.5 million likes...

I know this is only facebook figures, but these are representative of box office takings for the characters where Iron Man, Batman and Spiderman have the highest taking films for an individual character....food for thought, Warner Brothers?

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@bezza: I wouldn't judge popularity of the characters by likes on Facebook. Right now, especially due to Man of Steel, I think the big three would be Batman, Superman, and Iron Man, with Spider-Man close behind.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Strider1992

Superman, Batman and Spider-man.

Sales go up and down but these three are always at the top due to the fact they have achieved icon status. Don't think anyone else can be classed as a top 3 until that happens. At the end of the day these 3 are almost instantly recognizable.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Sales go up and down but these three are always at the top due to the fact they have achieved icon status. Don't think anyone else can be classed as a top 3 until that happens. At the end of the day these 3 are almost instantly recognizable.

I agree with this guy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Like someone above me said, spidey batman and superman are iconic and you can't too that. Iron man might hang up there for a few years but after avengers trilogy is over who knows, and he's not an icon yet. Surprised to see superman so low

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For non comic people I easily see that.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Right now it's Batman, Superman, and Iron Man.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I agree in theory. Say, twenty years from now, these 3 will still be very popular.

However I think in the year 2013, Iron Man is probably more popular than Either Spider-Man or Superman (not both, one or the other).

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

honestly after rdj is done being iron man i don't think its going to work out well. Iron man was a b-list for so many years because he just doesn't have great stroy arcs dedicated to him or iconic villains except for the mandarin (which they took a shit on) but batman,superman, and spiderman have villains,stories, and the popularity to always remain at the top! show a random person a bat symbol,superman 'S', and spidermans symbol and they would recognize it instantly.

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Backflip

It's

• Superman
  • Batman
  • Spider-Man

This will not change in our life time. Sure Wolverine, Wonder Woman and Iron Man will get spouts of popularity. But they'll never, ever achieve the same cult/iconic status that the top 3 enjoy.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..sure batman, spiderman and superman are the most famous, but in terms of current popularity you can't argue that Iron man has muscled in. Whether it says that way remains to be seen. MOS has certainly come at the right time, because otherwise Superman was in danger of losing a generation of fans. Yep, due to the Iron Man films, I'm fairly confident more under 13s love Iron Man more than Superman. In modern life trends change very quickly, people can come from no where to become sensations and new heroes are coming along all the time. Look at Wonder Woman. Hugely popular in the 1970s, following her TV show, now relegated to also ran in the public consciousness, because she has been neglected. WW has got only 170,000 likes on face book!

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to make this argument, there are a ton of factors to consider: 1) Who sells the most memorabilia? 2) Whose comics sell the best? 3) Whose movies have faired the best PORPORTIONALLY (Iron Man has had 4 movie appearances after all)? 4) Who is the most widely recognizeable? 5) A survey amongst people who consider themselves fans of comic book characters, stating who they find the most appealing, would be nice 6) and so on and so forth.

I imagine with all of that it would go:

Spidey and Wolverine for Marvel, and Batman and Superman for DC, with Batman winning overall.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Batman, Superman, Spider-Man. In that order. Even though Spidey is pretty much tied as my favorite hero, and Batman is in my top 3, and I don't even like Superman, I'd rank them this way. Iron Man has a lot of main stream movie popularity at the moment, especially with a younger crowd. A lot of facebook "likes" are most likely derived from the movies, so I'm not surprised Iron Man is up there.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RustyRoy

Batman is the most successful comic book hero followed by Spider-Man and Superman, Iron Man is probably fourth, Wolverine being the 5th.