• 60 results
#1 Edited by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Who are the best writers working in comics today? The 5 best would be good.

Mine are (in no particular order)

Jeff Parker

Si Spurrier

Joshua Fialkov

Mathiew Vaughn (duh)

Jason Aaron

Who are yours?

#2 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Yost

Robert Kirkman

Jeff Parker

#3 Edited by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Scott Lobdell.
  • Ann Nocenti
  • Tony S Daniel

These are legends....

#4 Edited by Xwraith (18259 posts) - - Show Bio

• Scott Lobdell.
  • Ann Nocenti
  • Tony S Daniel

These are legends....

For all the wrong reasons.

#5 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

• Scott Lobdell.
  • Ann Nocenti
  • Tony S Daniel

These are legends....

Are you being sarcastic? They are responsible for some of the worst reviewed comics all year.

TD has grown into an amazing artist though.

#6 Posted by SoloKing (102 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob Liefeld's runs are usually pretty good.

#7 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Yost

Robert Kirkman

Jeff Parker

Its rare to find a fellow Parker lover. He is prob my number 1. sooo pissed at marvel for letting him go. he would be so good on Fan 4

#8 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2_0 said:
@theacidskull said:

Chris Yost

Robert Kirkman

Jeff Parker

Its rare to find a fellow Parker lover. He is prob my number 1. sooo pissed at marvel for letting him go. he would be so good on Fan 4

He'd be great at everything, ESPECIALLY Hulk IMO, but no, marvel prefers Bendis over everyone else.

#9 Edited by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith:Hey are you implaying something about the quality of their incredible works!

Seriously now,it depends in what you mean with best. The most commercially successful writer now probably is Geoff Johns or Scott Snyder, the best in terms of overall quality in his works would be Mark Waid in my opinion since most of his works in almost 30 years are considered a success both commercially and are critically acclaimed. Others that come to mind with the same criteria are Kirkman and Azzarello.

I don't count writers (ex. Morrison) who don't write something at the moment.

@scuzz2_0: Of course i am! They are terrible. And T. Daniel was always a good artist, who the heck though keep putting him as a writer.

#10 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeff Lemire is one of my favorites right now. Trillium is amazing, Green Arrow is amazing, Animal Man is amazing. Brian K Vaughn is writing my favorite title right now in Saga.

#11 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not including Commercial success. Johns cant write for shit and Snyder couldn't end a story to save his life.

#12 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not including Commercial success. Johns cant write for shit and Snyder couldn't end a story to save his life.

@scuzz2_0 said:
@theacidskull said:

Chris Yost

Robert Kirkman

Jeff Parker

He'd be great at everything, ESPECIALLY Hulk IMO, but no, marvel prefers Bendis over everyone else.

We are sooo on the same page. Parkers Hulk run was amazing. I love that he created his own villains. Have you read Kings Watch? It proves he is not a 1 trick pony. He is sooo good. You know what? he would kill a quasar title

#13 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2_0 said:

@theacidskull said:

@scuzz2_0 said:
@theacidskull said:

Chris Yost

Robert Kirkman

Jeff Parker

We are sooo on the same page. Parkers Hulk run was amazing. I love that he created his own villains. Have you read Kings Watch? It proves he is not a 1 trick pony. He is sooo good. You know what? he would kill a quasar title

He's great with Everyone, he's f*cking talented as hell and Marvel mistreated him for too damn long. damn, wish he was on hulk, or any important title in marvel.

#14 Posted by sentryman555 (771 posts) - - Show Bio

Dan Slott. The things he's done with spiderman have been just really unexpected and awesome. Not to mention the fact that so many people were determined to hate the idea of SPock.

#16 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

• Scott Lobdell.
  • Ann Nocenti
  • Tony S Daniel

These are legends....

Read Ann Nocenti's Daredevil?

#17 Edited by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@squalleon said:
  • Scott Lobdell.
  • Ann Nocenti
  • Tony S Daniel

These are legends....

Many have told me that it is excellent but one good work over 5 atrocious ones aren't a sign of a good writer.
Scott Lobdell had a legendary Xmen run in the 90s but that's it, everything else is mediocre at best.

#18 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2_0 said:

I think that's an overreaction Johns may have some bad titles under his belt lately but most of his works are usually very good.
His run's on The Flash, Teen Titans, JSA, Green Lantern, Action Comics and Aquaman are considered some of the best these heroes have seen.
I agree that lately his work suffers but that's probably because he has too many things at his hands.
On the Snyder part i agree his endings are weak and the build up crumbles at the end especially in his Batman.

#19 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@squalleon said:
  • Scott Lobdell.
  • Ann Nocenti
  • Tony S Daniel

These are legends....

Many have told me that it is excellent but one good work over 5 atrocious ones aren't a sign of a good writer.

Scott Lobdell had a legendary Xmen run in the 90s but that's it, everything else is mediocre at best.

Well the industry is formed so that writers are pushed/encouraged to make quantity comics over quality comics. Which means good writers will make comics that they know aren't the best work but it will give them bread and butter on the table. It isn't necessarily the writers that isn't able to write good stories but the industry format that are making a work environment that wants quantity over quality. This is more or less do to that there need to be a monthly release of all the titles instead of just releasing one finish story that actually works.

#20 Edited by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: Many writers manage to give both the quantity the industry desires and the quality, your argument is weak because there are so many writers out there who manage to do better than Nocenti with the same time and more titles to write every month.

#21 Edited by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz:

Many writers manage to give both the quantity the industry desires and the quality, your argument is weak because there are so many writers out there who manage to do better than Nocenti with the same time and more titles to write every month.

But not the same title which is an important factor. Some writers can pick an choose what they wanna do other has to take the tougher characters or characters that they can't right because it doesn't work with them.

#22 Edited by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@squalleon said:

@tupiaz:

Many writers manage to give both the quantity the industry desires and the quality, your argument is weak because there are so many writers out there who manage to do better than Nocenti with the same time and more titles to write every month.

But not the same title which is an important factor. Some writers can pick an choose what they wanna do other has to take the tougher characters or characters that they can't right because it doesn't work with them.

Writers with less experience than Nocenti are doing better than her right now, without having the privilege of choise.
Ex. James T Tynion IV,Justin Jordan.

#23 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: Again different book different approach simply because one those not write certain characters well doesn't mean they are bad writers. I'm not even talking about Nocenti anymore.

#24 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@squalleon: Again different book different approach simply because one those not write certain characters well doesn't mean they are bad writers. I'm not even talking about Nocenti anymore.

But It's not like one of her titles was bad, most of her recent works which are actually close to the style of daredevil are and if she can only write one character she isn't a good writer and that's a fact.

#25 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: I'm not talking about Ann Nocenti. And how can you say her work is similar to something you haven't read?

#26 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison

Waid

Johns

Remender

Lemire

Some of the guys I really like

#27 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@squalleon: I'm not talking about Ann Nocenti. And how can you say her work is similar to something you haven't read?

Sorry i thought you were talking specifically about her. Green Arrow and Katana are both street level characters which can use similar approaches to Daredevil i never compared books only methods. That's what i meant and i think you understand what i am trying to say.

#28 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

Sorry i thought you were talking specifically about her. Green Arrow and Katana are both street level characters which can use similar approaches to Daredevil i never compared books only methods. That's what i meant and i think you understand what i am trying to say.

You can compare street level with street level. Each characters has a different approach Spider-Man and Batman is for instance to very different characters and to get them to act and talk as the should is not necessarily something you can do with both just because you can with one of them.

#29 Edited by Wolverine08 (42336 posts) - - Show Bio

(Not in order)

Jonathan Hickman

Brian K. Vaughn

Mark Waid

Jeff Lemire

Grant Morrison

Matt Fraction (Only when he's doing street levelers)

Christopher Yost

Peter Tomasi

Ed Brubaker

Jason Aaron

Tom Waltz

#30 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

You can compare street level with street level. Each characters has a different approach Spider-Man and Batman is for instance to very different characters and to get them to act and talk as the should is not necessarily something you can do with both just because you can with one of them.

Still my point stands when you can only write a certain character you aren't a good writer.

#31 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

His Iron man and FF may change your mind. I get where you are coming from though (his thor was plain bad)

#32 Posted by Wolverine08 (42336 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

His Iron man and FF may change your mind. I get where you are coming from though (his thor was plain bad)

Oops, forgot about his Iron Man run. Was pretty awesome. Fraction seems to struggle with cosmics (Thor) and teams (X-Men) at times.

#33 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon said:

@wolverine08 said:

Oops, forgot about his Iron Man run. Was pretty awesome. Fraction seems to struggle with cosmics (Thor) and teams (X-Men) at times.

Yeah he is hit or miss but when he is good he is very good.

#34 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

Still my point stands when you can only write a certain character you aren't a good writer.

Well if we have to talk about Ncenti the few Spider-Man stories she did was good. Also her Longshot should be ok (I haven't read it my self). Bashing writers for what the do today and not their past is a uneven picture.

#35 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@squalleon said:

@tupiaz said:

Well if we have to talk about Ncenti the few Spider-Man stories she did was good. Also her Longshot should be ok (I haven't read it my self). Bashing writers for what the do today and not their past is a uneven picture.

Maybe but i only know her from her current works and as a result my opinion on her is formed by these titles.
I am willing to give some older work of her a try to change my opinion on her writing.

#36 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll just go with Wood for now. Everyone else is p*ssing me off lately.

*Edit: wtf? I just learned about Wood. I can't even...*

#37 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1821 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Johns

Scott Snyder

Peter Tomasi

Jason Aaron

Neil Gaiman

Azzarello

Grant Morrison

#38 Posted by Backflip (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: It's a trend at the moment, Lobdell has just been outed for similar reasons.

But on topic

• Hickman
  • Waid
  • Yost
  • Vaughn
  • Carey
#39 Edited by gunmetalgrey (1269 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with a lot of these, but seriously, no one else likes Brubaker and Rucka?

#40 Edited by Xwraith (18259 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunmetalgrey: I can't name anything Brubaker is currently writing.

#41 Posted by attatje (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison

Geoff Johns

Kyle Higgins

Brian Azzarello

Jeff Lemire

Robert Kirkman

#42 Posted by gunmetalgrey (1269 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: Fatale's still ongoing and he just started on Velvet with Image. It's just in the second issue.

#43 Posted by tomlikesfries (4669 posts) - - Show Bio

Charles Soule, Jonathan Hickman, Jeff Lemire, Mark Waid, Geoff Johns, Dan Slott, Matt Fraction and Robert Kirkman.

#44 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@backflip:

I just spent the last few hours catching up and yeah, Lobdell too but I am not as surprised. Although in his instance, his behaviour is just pathetic and indicative of just how entitled he feels. Pretty rattled over it -- still looking into a few things.

But yes, like you, to stay on topic, I will throw in:

Kelly Sue DeConnick

Jason Aaron

Mike Carey (begrudgingly because I don't know what the heck he was thinking with his Magneto/Rogue thingamajig)

Mark Waid

#45 Posted by SilverPool (1517 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Yost

Scott Snyder

Peter J. Tomasi

Robert Kirkman

Geoff Johns

and Mark Waid are among my favorites.

#46 Edited by SilverPool (1517 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Yost

@scuzz2_0 said:

Snyder couldn't end a story to save his life.

On the Snyder part i agree his endings are weak and the build up crumbles at the end especially in his Batman.

I've never been that disappointed with Snyder's endings. The only one I didn't have much love for was Court of Owls, but I don't see anything wrong with Black Mirror or Death of the Family, both of those were pretty satisfying if you ask me. I haven't read his Swamp Thing or American Vampire so I can't really say anything about those.

#47 Posted by Gambit474 (1468 posts) - - Show Bio

Dan Slott. The things he's done with spiderman have been just really unexpected and awesome. Not to mention the fact that so many people were determined to hate the idea of SPock.

I might give him credit if he had a commendable attitude..being that he trolled on the Marvel forums,while they were still around,I don't consider the guy to be all that respectable

Anyways for me if it involves an anti-heroic character (wolverine,ghost rider,the Punisher,etc)then I like having Aaron on it. IMO he does well writing their characters..loved his run on punisher max

#48 Posted by Backflip (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@backflip:

I just spent the last few hours catching up and yeah, Lobdell too but I am not as surprised. Although in his instance, his behaviour is just pathetic and indicative of just how entitled he feels. Pretty rattled over it -- still looking into a few things.

Lobdell isn't a great guy, even his behaviour whilst on these boards is indicative of that, so it was hardly surprising. But I suppose he's commendable because he stepped forward rather than having to be outed which I suppose doesn't exempt him, but still, credit where credit is due.

I was thinking about the fact you crossed Wood off your list and I wonder, how much does a Writer's personal qualities detract from their writing or rather, the perception of their writing? I'll give Wood credit, he's a fantastic writer and I've thoroughly enjoyed his tenor in the X-Books but the whole scandal surrounding him has soured me a wee bit; especially in my approach to Adjectiveless X-Men and what it was meant to represent. But then again... Watchmen is a masterpiece, so is V for Vendetta but equally it's a generally accepted fact that Alan Moore is a miserable, cynical, crazy bastard to say the least.

I'd add Wood to my list because the question is about who are the best, and he is one of them at the moment. Personal antics aside.

#49 Posted by Squares (6614 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with a lot of these, but seriously, no one else likes Brubaker and Rucka?

I like Rucka.

#50 Posted by IrishX (2371 posts) - - Show Bio

Kirkman, Yost, Aaron, and Brubaker are favorites that have already been mentioned. Two very good writers including thee best are Mike Costa (G.I. Joe: Cobra) and Mike Mignola (Hellboy / B.P.R.D).