#1 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

This is where we argue about fights. Don't tell me you don't like debate. You know you do. I think Thor could take Superman. Anyone disagree?

#2 Posted by Crusader (64 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with you, but I have the opinion that Superman is completely overrated so my opinion doesn't really count for much. Thor is exceptionaly powerful with his hammer but without he doesn't really have a chance.

#3 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#4 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (645 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman > Thor

#5 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's how I think of it. You're right, Darkseid is on a whole new level than Thor. And Superman is vulnerable to nothing, I repeat nothing, except kryptonite and magic. Oh wait! Thor's got a MAGIC hammer. That means Superman is vulnerable to Mjolnir attacks. And if you're vulnerable to Mjolnir, and you're not Darkseid, Galactus, or Living Tribunal, than you're dead. And remember-Superman gets his power from the Sun. What if Thor used clouds to block out the Sun?

#6 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#7 Posted by Chediablo (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but don't forget also that Thor is very versatile. He could always syphon the solar energy from Superman with Mjolnir, rendering him powerless.

That is assuming that he knew that was the source of Supes' powers, which I would consider unfair and thus, in my mind, wouldn't happen.

Giving Thor no prior knowledge of Superman also means that Superman has no idea what he's dealing with. So someone as fast as Thor could easily land a hit on a careless Kal that just wants to test the waters (as he sometimes does), oblivious to the fact that a blow from Mjolnir would penetrate his invulnerability aura and land as if he were just a bit stronger than a normal human (since kryptonians are anyway) and effectively one-shotting him.

That, however is a very particular scenario. Likely, yes. But it is favorable to one of them and is unfair still.

There are very solid arguments to support both sides. We're not getting anywhere here...

There's also the fact that Thor's power level fluctuates greatly between writers. Even more than Supes'.

My take though, is that in the end, even if Superman is more powerful, they are arguably on the same level. And Thor holds and rutinely uses that which Superman is weak against, while Superman would be like any other super-powered being Thor has faced. Thor wins 6 or 7 times out of ten...

Now, some writers consider Thor's powers to be magic. Others, high asgardian technology (which wouldn't bypass Superman's defenses).

#8 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Mjolnir is magic. And Prurience Man mentions Superman's range attacks. But what about Thor's? Remember, Superman is vulnerable to magic, and slightly slower than light. That means magical lightning from a certain hammer would hurt him. And lightning is faster. Gotta say Thor. Besides, he's almost as tough as Kal-El.

#9 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a tough one to call, I think Thor has the edge being magical for the same reason Captain Marvel does when he faces Superman. Though if Superman cuts loose, he is very hard to beat.

#10 Posted by Chediablo (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Fourpower, both Thor and Superman are faster than light when not holding back.

#11 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, if Thor is also faster than light, than he's as fast as Superman and Supes loses that advantage too.

#12 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#13 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to predict the effects of magic on Superman. Sometimes it's only minor, others he is effected like a normal man. In the latter case, one bolt of lightning nd he's down. Even as powered up as he was in the Kingdom Come comics (no longer vulnerable to kryptonite), Captain Marvel nearly took him down with his lightning.

#14 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

If I was talking about dead Thor, I know would win. It's Thor(right before Ragnarok) and Superman(current). And if a wimpy bolt of mystical lightning took Supes down, what do you think a weapon that dented Captain America's shield would do?

#15 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#16 Posted by Ebony Bishop (767 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys, guys, guys...

You do know they've fought before, right? Thor has beaten Captain Marvel (not based on powers, just because Marvel was stupid, and changed into Batson in front of Thor, who apparently is not above clocking a kid.), and Supes has beaten Thor (it was close though, and Thor started some good smacktalk afterwards..."Now I think I have his measure..." translation? "I could totally kick his ass now that I see how he rolls...")

I love the crossovers. DC vs. Marvel, JLA/Avengers, and others like that.

#17 Posted by Buckshot (18867 posts) - - Show Bio

LQTM. I like your translation.

#18 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor's hammer is way stronger than mystical lightning. Anyway, someone else think of a fight.

#19 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#20 Posted by Buckshot (18867 posts) - - Show Bio

Plastic Man is immortal, but given enough time I'm sure Reed would find a way to contain or incapacitate him to get the win.

#21 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with Buckshot. I'd say that their stretching ability is about equal. The difference is Mr. Fantastic's intellect, leadership, and gadgets. He's number one on the intellect power board. I bet he'd outsmart Plastic Man.

#22 Posted by Buckshot (18867 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't say they were equal. I don't think I've read anything that really showed Plastic Man's abilities, but I'm pretty sure he can do tons of things that Reed can't since he's not even close to human like Reed is. Still think Mr. F can win if he finds time to build something, though.

#23 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

By "I'm with Buckshot", I just meant that I agreed that Mr. Fantastic would win.

#24 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#25 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Remind me again what Plastic Man did?

#26 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#27 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America vs. Aquaman.

#28 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh?

#29 Posted by Chediablo (101 posts) - - Show Bio

They both die horrible deaths.

#30 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#31 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Prurience Man says:

"The fanboy in me says Cap wins. Not because I'm a big Cap fan, but because I can't stand most versions of his character. (I liked the long-haried, captain Ahab Aquaman, even though he was always angry.)Either way, I still say Cap. He's got the tactical advantage of superior fighting ability. Unless they're close to water where Arthur could call in some sea beastie, Steve Rogers takes the day."

Agreed.