• 54 results
arthurcurry2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By arthurcurry2

I'd like to hear comments from fans here. It seems to me that DC (as well as Marvel, Archie Comics and other comicbook companies) have decided to shamelessly push the gay lifestyle into their fictional universes. I consider it an irresponsability that DC recently just decided to make Alan Scott a long standing, classic character, into a gay character for no rhyme or reason. It does not enhance the character in any way, it has nothing to do with being a superhero and it's clearly some kind of social statement as well as blatant, shock value moment that does not consider the audience, the fans, especially the YOUNG FANS! I've been reading several blogs, and most of the casual fans think the GL that came out of the closet is the GL they recently saw in the theaters, not only that but what will parents do, considering there is a GL cartoon currently gaining audience in the Cartoon Network! Before I go on, I'd like to hear some of your comments around here.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Redberry

What does this have to do with Batman? ...

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

ugh

arthurcurry2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By arthurcurry2

oops sorry, didn't mean to put it here

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Redberry

@spiderbat87 said:

ugh

My thought exactly...

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Rumble Man

There is already a gay batman and he is awesome, batman cannot be gay because that would make midnighter redundant.

Batman is never gay, even back then the scandals says that he is into little boys and the term for that says google check would be pederasty
Batman is never gay, even back then the scandals says that he is into little boys and the term for that says google check would be pederasty
Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Redberry

@Rumble Man said:

There is already a gay batman and he is awesome, batman cannot be gay because that would make midnighter redundant.

Please don't remind me of that chin-spike...

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rumble Man

@Redberry:

this any better?
this any better?
the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By the_tree

The decision to make Alan Scott gay was to help in diversifying the DC universe. Do you have to like it? No, but you will have to deal with it, because it's not changing any time soon. Comics, specifically superhero comics are a reflection of real life, but with spectacular and superpowered beings. Gay people exist in real life, so it only makes sense to have them in comics. Parents have control over what their kids are reading, if they really don't like their kids reading about gay superheroes, it's simple, don't buy it and let them read it. And if people think that Hal Jordan is gay, or parents say they're not going to let their kids watch the cartoon or the movie because they think that, then they're the stupid ones for not even bothering to do the research.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

What's with Marvel/DC's straight agenda with only making films/TV shows with straight characters?

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Redberry
Much better
Much better

@Rumble Man said:

@Redberry:

this any better?
this any better?
Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I agree that making Alan Scott gay wasn't really necessary. It would require a lot of suspension of disbelief to believe that there are just no gay characters in the comic book world, and it makes much more sense for them to be there. But when you take a previously straight character and change his sexuality for what seems to be no good reason... well, that's kind of a different story.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rumble Man

@Redberry:

I just hate the part when they changed his look into some male butch goth lesbian
I just hate the part when they changed his look into some male butch goth lesbian
Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Redberry

@Rumble Man said:

@Redberry:

I usually like when he has short hair. He looks like freaking Longshot here. Still, the redesign of his costume really irritates me because his badass long coat is what makes him stand-out among his peers. I could forgive DC if it wasn't for the chin-spike. Seriously? What is the purpose of that thing? Poke your opponent's eyes out? It's gonna hurt like hell when he falls.

What do you feel about the art of the series, btw? It looks realistic, but I would prefer some cartoon elements to it. Most of the characters with the current art style is expressionless in Stormwatch.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rumble Man

@Redberry: they took the fun out of it because its a mishmash of authority/stormwatch/and planetary

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mercy_

@Redberry said:

@spiderbat87 said:

ugh

My thought exactly...

Pretty much.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Redberry

@Rumble Man said:

@Redberry: they took the fun out of it because its a mishmash of authority/stormwatch/and planetary

I want them to be the Authority instead of Stormwatch. I'd prefer them to serve as a foil for Justice League. One who follows the law, the other does whatever it takes to preserve the law. It would make more sense than this "secret" organization they're having.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rumble Man

@Redberry: They both follow law but one is more lax in the execution while the other will bash law so hard that it breaks into splinters

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#19  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

They made Alan Scott gay? that sucks, he has always been an awesome underused character :( His son was gay in the old universe, they should have just stuck with that.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Redberry

@Rumble Man said:

@Redberry: They both follow law but one is more lax in the execution while the other will bash law so hard that it breaks into splinters

lol, true. The series has been a bit stale lately. I still love Stormwatchr, but the writers changed constantly make my head spin.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rumble Man

@Redberry: T_T where u at Jim Lee?

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Redberry

@Rumble Man said:

@Redberry: T_T where u at Jim Lee?

Probably at home, counting money. :p

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rumble Man

@Redberry: Sometimes when people get too rich and successful they leave the things that made them big in the first place

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shawnbaby
@pikahyper said:

They made Alan Scott gay? that sucks, he has always been an awesome underused character :( His son was gay in the old universe, they should have just stuck with that.

How does making him gay make him less awesome? He's still the same guy, still has all the same powers, still has done all the same things that made you think he was awesome before.
Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Katie24

Bigots Suck!

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Shawnbaby said:

@pikahyper said:

How does making him gay make him less awesome? He's still the same guy, still has all the same powers, still has done all the same things that made you think he was awesome before.

Is he still the Earth's first Green Lantern? does he have his Starheart powers? is he still married to his old nemesis the Harelquin? He still the father of Jade and Obsidian? Still the White King of Checkmate? his past is what made him awesome and just looking at that picture of him he looks like a completely different character bein all young with the trenchcoat and modern hair, being gay is inconsequential really, how has he done all the same things as before if he looks even younger now and looks to have a different personality?

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shawnbaby
@pikahyper said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@pikahyper said:

Is he still the Earth's first Green Lantern? does he have his Starheart powers? is he still married to his old nemesis the Harelquin? He still the father of Jade and Obsidian? Still the White King of Checkmate? his past is what made him awesome and just looking at that picture of him he looks like a completely different character bein all young with the trenchcoat and modern hair, being gay is inconsequential really, how has he done all the same things as before if he looks even younger now and looks to have a different personality?

That has nothing to do with him being gay though. You're statement says "They made Alan Scot Gay? That Sucks..." .
TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By TheOptimist

OP: I find your statement somewhat uninformed (and at points offensive). Yes, comics sometimes push elements of social agenda.

No Caption Provided

SEE: Green Lantern/Green Arrow. Snowbirds don't cry? The indignation of continuing racial injustice and the failure of superhumans to confront those issues? The consistent abuse of specific communities and land-ownership rights? These were issues raised in comics. Comic books are a fantastic medium for helping to develop consciousness of social issues.

As to the younger fans, I'm hoping that they will grow up with an open mind, a fair heart that can appreciate the people of their community, regardless of their sexual orientation, and will understand that homosexuality is not a "private lifestyle" that can be shoved away into a closet of shame.

@pikahyper said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@pikahyper said:

You forgot "Is he still dead?" because remember, he was dead. That was certainly part of his past. A pretty important part.

@Katie24 said:

Bigots Suck!

QFT. I've decided you and I are friends.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Shawnbaby: and it does since it does not improve his character as far as I can see, it was done for shock value and probably at random, way too many of these DCnU characters are straight out of the 90's and it isn't an improvement. DC already had plenty of great LBGT characters that they could have re-introduced but instead they wanted to roll the dice, I haven't read any DCnU books yet but from what I've picked up Alan Scott is in Stormwatch? that makes even less sense seeing as how Midnighter and Apollo are openly gay, are they turning the whole team LBGT now?

@TheOptimist: I'm 25 or so months behind on my reading did DC kill Alan Scott? that really does suck then :(

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheOptimist

@pikahyper: Well... it was literally like 5 minutes before Flashpoint started... so everybody everywhere knew that it was Comic Book Death at its finest... it took place in the final issues of the old Justice Society book... honestly, we might as well ignore that he died, I was mostly being "dumb cute".

Also, I don't know where you got that Alan Scott is in Stormwatch. As far as I know that isn't accurate. Do you recall where you heard that? I've read every issue of every New 52 book and am pretty sure that is not correct. For one thing, Alan Scott has thusfar only appeared on Earth-2... while there might be a Stormwatch on that universe, it is at this point not connected to the Stormwatch title.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@TheOptimist: ah Flashpoint, should have known, I was wrong on my last estimate I'm 36 months behind, still working on Prelude to Blackest Night so I have a ways to go :P

Hmm don't recall, probably misread something skimming articles, him being in Earth-2 makes more sense title wise but makin him young again just rubs me the wrong way, did they de-age other JSA type members?

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheOptimist

@pikahyper: Well, thusfar we've seen Al Pratt (also notably deceased pre-universe) and Jay Garrick, who are both younger... for me, alive and young is better than dead and old...

Also, my interpretation is less that the characters are "de-aged" (as has happened to the JSA about 10 times before) and more "restarted"... I know it seems unlikely, and I've certainly proved that I have quite a biased voice... but I approached Earth-2 with a similar hesitancy regarding the age element... particularly with Jay Garrick... and I know its only been one issue, but I immediately felt comfortable with young Jay. It actually ended up being totally fine. I really didn't expect that to be the case. I know I'm unlikely to sway people on the subject, but I'd say its worth it to give it a chance.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By owie  Moderator
@Glitch_Spawn said:

What's wrong with young fans knowing about a character being gay?

I was wondering that myself.

I don't see the problem with turning some characters gay.  Obviously the reason they are doing it so often now is that back in the day being gay was verboten, so no characters were like that.  Now that people are more accepting, they are making the comics reflect the demographics of the real world, which means that theoretically 10% of the characters should be gay.  They don't just want to add a hundred new gay characters, and it makes sense that some of the existing characters might be gay anyway, and it makes sense to use old characters since reboots allow for big changes.  I remember when Mark in Doonesbury became gay.  At first it was weird to me, considering his long previous history, but I came to accept it pretty quickly.  Give it time and you'll forget all about whatever shocking qualities it may seem to have now.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@TheOptimist: If I'm remembering correctly Earth-2 characters were generally younger to begin with so I can understand it a bit more and I've never minded the multiple de-aging laziness but on a full revamp like this I don't care for it much since part of what made the characters so great was that age and experience and the sense of history to bring the new generation of heroes, now Alan Scott is a scruffy looking gay Green Lantern, just seems like a step backwards to me.

@Katie24 said:

Bigots Suck!

and if that comment was pointed at me that is a hoot, I don't know about others in this thread but I'm actually in the LBGT community but at the same time I'm a 20+ year DC fan first :P I don't care if a characters sexual orientation is changed but I want it to be for a d@mn good reason and only if it will improve the character in some way not just cause DC was under fire and wanted to meet some quota and wanted to appeal to (bleed dry) another demographic.

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Katie24

@pikahyper: That comment was directed to the bigot who started this forum, arthurcurry2, and others who think the way he/she does. I guess it was a general statement to, bigots suck.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Katie24: Just makin sure :P they do indeed suck though.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#38  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

I'm more worried about the bigot's agenda to invade Comic Vine.

deadpool6_6_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deadpool6_6_6

@Rumble Man said:

@Redberry:

Like that scan. old comic from the days or something?

deadpool6_6_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deadpool6_6_6

@Redberry said:

What does this have to do with Batman? ...

No Caption Provided

cant forget bartman either

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#41  Edited By Battlepig

I don't see why having homosexual characters is such an issue. Or martians. Or something. Because at the end of the day, comics aren't really about who does the horizontal polka with whom, but about a couple of people in spandex saving Earth. Or the Earths. Do I like Alan Scott being gay? Not particularly. He was pretty cool the way he was, he had a family and everything. Not that I mind him being gay, but wouldn't it have been easier to just make a new character? One that doens't have the baggage of a very familiar name?

However, what I do have problems with is when writers keep mentioning the same sort of subject matter in virtually every comic they write. Prime example of this would probably be Jeph Loeb. How many times has he gone through the grief-thing with how many characters? And when he's not having a grief-thing, he's got Red Hulk doing whatever the hell Loeb wants him to. Or how often has Chris Claremont created godlike, unkillable and dominating female characters? That sort of thing annoys me way more than someone who's gay.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rumble Man

@deadpool6_6_6: wsu days

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By Kairan1979

I'm not against gay characters in general. But I don't like changing the sexualt orientation of the known character just because Marvel announced first gay marriage and DC wants to keep up.

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Katie24

@Kairan1979 said:

I'm not against gay characters in general. But I don't like changing the sexualt orientation of the known character just because Marvel announced first gay marriage and DC wants to keep up.

I was under the impression that comics were usually written and draw awhile before they were actually published. I think Earth 2 #2 was most likely written well before Marvel announced Northstars wedding. I'm not trying to be augmentative, It's just that the timing seems to cut a little close in my opinion. I don't think they would go back and rewrite the character just to out gay Marvel. I do however believe that DC was not going to make a big deal about it the way they are now, but decided to once they saw all the publicity that Marvel was getting.

StuckOnEuropa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By StuckOnEuropa

We shouldn't worry about a fictional character's sexuality. I'm sure if a gay character were to be turn straight in the future it wouldn't be a big deal. Right everybody? Lol. It is just a gimmick to sell comics. All I can say is if you do not like the change don't buy the comic. I personally think with this reboot DC could have made an already established gay character into something worth reading. That's just my opinion.

ExtraLarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By ExtraLarge

This is all just a plot by James Robinson to make us forget he killed Superman with parademons.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jinxuandi

@StuckOnEuropa said:

We shouldn't worry about a fictional character's sexuality. I'm sure if a gay character were to be turn straight in the future it wouldn't be a big deal. Right everybody? Lol. It is just a gimmick to sell comics.

That's true. If a previously gay character was made straight in the New 52 reboot, I doubt anyone would've batted an eye.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By joshmightbe

So let me get this straight(no pun intended) Its perfectly fine to force straight lifestyles, religious, political, social and dietary views on the entire world but its just the gays that aren't allowed to show their life style. Is that correct I just like to keep hypocrisy clear.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By MrMiracle77

For me, it isn't about whether or not homosexuality is right or wrong.  It's about how homosexuality really isn't any more interesting than, say, paying taxes.  We get 22 pages of full-color illustrations for our $2.99, and someone decided to waste a few by passing off a character -who is not of their own creation- as something they never were.  Hey, lets have Alan Scott spend a few panels filling out a 1040S.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ragdollpurps

Oh, another one of those users with like three posts underhandedly expressing bigotry. The publishers may or may not be making these characters gay for the right reasons, but I'm all for a greater variety of lifestyles being depicted in comics.