• 115 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

The Comic Vine staff has put our noggins together to collect and codify the all-time greatest moments in comics.

We make no pretense at any academic objectivity here - - these aren't supposed to be the most "important" to the history of the medium. These are simply the times where we've been so wrapped up in a story that we literally had to say "Wow!" when we turned the page. These are the most-memorable pages or panels for readers like you (as decided by our highly-discriminating reckoning.)

These are the top fifty greatest moments in comics...

We pity the fools who don't see how this is one of the greatest moments in comics.

We’re counting down moments #30-21 today. Catch up on moments #50-41 and #40-31.

== TEASER ==

30. Ganthet becomes a Green Lantern in BLACKEST NIGHT #6

Few times has a bit of cosmic wordplay had this kind of dramatic significance in a comic. For the Guardian who fatefully gave Kyle Rayner the last power ring after EMERALD TWILIGHT and subsequently raised his resurrected brethren after Rayner brought them back through Ion power, “Hope” is truly the first word anybody should use when describing Ganthet. Thus, it makes perfect sense that he’d found the Blue Lantern Corps? And it's perfectly fitting that Ganthet, after being expelled from the Guardians for having emotions of all things, would put himself back into the GLC during the entire Emotional Spectrum’s darkest hour.

29. Gepetto revealed to be the Adversary in FABLES #40

Nobody in million years would ever expect an arch-villain called “the Adversary” to actually be the gentle old carpenter who created Pinocchio… but it is always, indeed, the last one you suspect. This shocking revelation connected so many puzzle pieces in the mythos of FABLES; not least of which was an explanation for why exactly it was an army of wooden soldiers who drove our favorite storytime characters out of their homes and into their little ghetto in New York City. The man who shaped the fates of so many - - who was really the driving force behind the series - - was a man who most people picture doing the jitterbug and wishing upon a star. Brilliant.

28. Plastic Man survives for 3000 years under the sea in JLA #76

If you’ve ever had trouble keeping track of all the paradoxes and concurrent happenstances in a time-travel story, just imagine how confused the actual participants must get. Such was the case in THE OBSIDIAN AGE, when two JLA teams were fighting two battles some 3000 years apart from each other. In the fracas, the main League actually lost track of Plastic Man and the flexible funnyman was accidentally left behind in pre-historic times. Oops! When the League returned to the present, they realized their mistake and went back to find Plas was right where they left him on the bottom of the Atlantic… three millennia prior. Punchlines rarely get as epic as this. Plas should count himself lucky for being immortal, and we should count ourselves lucky for him not being bio-degradable.

27. Magneto found “Not Guilty” in UNCANNY X-MEN #200

It goes to show that the letter of the law can allow for even the most inconceivable of verdicts to be reached. Case in point: the most infamous mutant terrorist in the world getting this sort of favorable sentence from a UN tribunal when he’s put on trial for his countless crimes. It certainly helped that he had Prof. X working as his defense attorney. Even if the entire jury wasn’t totally convinced during the actual hearings, they were certainly grateful to be on Magneto’s good side when he subsequently saved them from an attack by Fenris. Chris Claremont packed one wallop after another for this milestone anniversary issue and the fact that we’re putting this up here instead of Cable’s birth speaks volumes as to just how shocking it was to witness.

26. Superman reboots the sun in ALL-STAR SUPERMAN #12

Even if you haven’t a clue as to what a “solar-radio consciousness” actually is, you’ve got to admit that the greatest “labor” of Superman - - a superhero powered by yellow sunrays - - would just have to center on the Sun. Embracing the Silver Age's surrealistic whimsy full-on, this maxi-series concludes with Supes literally diving into the Solar core and building Sol a new, mechanical heart to keep it running after the meddling of the tyrant sun, Solaris. You get the sense that Lois Lane holds this exact image in her mind when she insists that, despite world opinion, Kal-El actual isn't dead, just preparing to return; and that says something profound about Superman's power as a symbol of hope. Fun fact: In Morrison's DC 1 Million, Superman remerges from the Sun as a golden Superman Prime after 15,000 years of collecting energy.

25. Tony Stark injects himself with Extremis in IRON MAN #5

The tough part about updating Iron Man is trying to find new, clever gadgets and properly fresh gimmicks for each Mark of his armor. From transistor power to modular assembly and from underwater capability to the outer-space variety, the cool exec with the heart of steel has incorporated it all. So where can you go in the 2000s? Well, you can merge Tony with his armor. This storyline saw Mr. Stark taking in a substance that’s variously called a “virus” or a “super-soldier serum” (fittingly putting him into Cap’s lineage) called Extremis; a cutting edge variety of nano-technology that connects his brain directly to computers and alleviates a lot of his human frailties (like heart problems!) More importantly, it lets him put his armor instantaneously at any moment. After this, there was really not much point in Tony upgrading his suit because, ever after, he is the suit.

24. Peter Parker reveals his identity in CIVIL WAR #2

As we all know, the quality that defines Spider-Man the most is larger-than-life sense of responsibility. Thus, if Iron Man asks him to answer to the American people and submit to the Superhuman Registration Act, Peter Parker will own up to what he feels is required of him and blow a secret he’s gone to great lengths over a great many years to keep secret. That this would eventually bring super-villainous reprisals onto his loved ones actually put Spidey right between two very big responsibilities and gave us, the readers, some very great drama.

Even though this particular genie was eventually put back into its bottle with ONE MORE DAY, there’s still no denying how striking this particular unmasking remains.

23. Batman shoots Darkseid in FINAL CRISIS #6

Who can think of a more fitting way to conclude one of the single most far-out crossovers ever than to have the mere human Batman mortally wounding the evil god Darkseid by popping a cap in him? After millennia of galactic wars and after countless failed attempts by superhumans, this legendary despot's undoing finally came down to a small “Radion bullet.” Granted, to do this, Bats also had to get hit by some pesky Omega Beams that sent him back to primeval times and put him through a long spot of trouble… but it was still a hell of a finish. And a lasting one, actually. Darkseid may have returned in the pages of JUSTICE LEAGUE, but it’s the New 52 version. The classic one? He’s still dead. Batman's win is still good.

22. Morpheus (Dream of the Endless) dies in SANDMAN #69

Dream, as depicted in SANDMAN, was more like the gods of classical mythology than any of the gods we’re used to in comics. His personality couldn't quite be understood in normal, human terms and his “life” couldn't quite be compared to a normal, human cycle. Thus, it fit that his death would embody both of those qualities. He was killed by the Furies in act of vengeance after his servants stole a superhuman baby, Daniel, whose parents violated rules of the Dreaming during his incubation. And, after he died, young Daniel took his place in the Endless, but in a way that actually somehow preserved Morpheus' identity. It was a very artistic take on that old phrase of "The king is dead, long live the king" and a very appropriate ending to a series defined by many such supernatural nuances.

21. Wolverine regains all his memories in HOUSE OF M #8

It was an enduring debate; one that would seemingly never end - - if you took away Wolverine’s mystery, would you also take away his appeal? This particular genie was finally let out of the bottle in ‘05, a few years after another of Logan’s genies was released in ORIGIN. It was the perfect irony to have a man who can’t remember his own past be the only one to remember what life was like prior to the Scarlet Witch's “world gone mad” reality warp. So it was truly fitting that one lasting consequence of this event would make this famous amnesiac finally regained all his once-hazy memories in perfect lucidity. Now that the debate's been solved, for good, we think you'll agree that Wolverine's still cool, even if he does remembers a lot of things he once forgot.

#1 Posted by kennybaese (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I like Batman shooting Darkseid in Final Crisis. On one hand I love it because it's Batman, already a man among figurative gods, taking down an actual god and barely breaking a sweat to do it.

At the same time, Batman firing a gun and killing someone seems a bit out of character. Though, I guess it's not too far out of character for Morrison's Batman.

#2 Posted by DXmagma (91 posts) - - Show Bio

These are certainly moments in comic books.

#3 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh dear, maybe I shouldn't of read this, was spoiled on both Fables and Sandman, eeeshhh

#4 Posted by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm

If these are truly the comic medium's great moments, then it's sad that many have been ret con'd out of existence.

#5 Posted by Billy Batson (57957 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was about superhero comics but Fables and the Sandman? niiice.
BB

#6 Posted by Outside_85 (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I thought Superman holding Batman's burnt out corpse was more iconic than Batman shooting Darkseid

#7 Edited by Sammo21 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

I really think Batman shooting Darkseid is an antithesis for the character in general. Poor moment, personally. Not to mention Final Crisis was garbage.

Wait though...in new 52 if none of the "Crisis" storylines have happened...then how did Batman "die" and then come back to form Batman, Inc?

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33050 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sammo21 said:

I really think Batman shooting Darkseid is an antithesis for the character in general. Poor moment, personally. Not to mention Final Crisis was garbage.

Wait though...in new 52 if none of the "Crisis" storylines have happened...then how did Batman "die" and then come back to form Batman, Inc?

only the reboot crisis's are noncanon 
#9 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@walkingcarpet said:

At the same time, Batman firing a gun and killing someone seems a bit out of character. Though, I guess it's not too far out of character for Morrison's Batman.

Au contraire, it is 100% in character. Batman is not killing anyone here. Darkseid has been dead for days at this point. He was killed by Orion in Countdown. What happened is his spirit refused death and in his fall, reality was shattered (DC Universe 0). What is left of Darkseid is nothing but the spirit of pure evil, the very evil Batman swore to fight after the shooting of his parents. Like so many things in Morrison's run, this is all symbolics.

#10 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

I thought this was about superhero comics but Fables and the Sandman? niiice.
BB

That means there's a good chance of seeing Constantine's greatest con on here (I'm holding out for it to be in the top 10). Batman taking down the ultimate evil deserved to be on here, but his triumphant return from being lost in time deserves to be even higher.

#12 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@walkingcarpet said:

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I like Batman shooting Darkseid in Final Crisis. On one hand I love it because it's Batman, already a man among figurative gods, taking down an actual god and barely breaking a sweat to do it.

I think it would have been fine if Batman seemed pissed about it. Something like "Damn you for making this necessary." But "I'll make an exception, just this once," makes it seem like, to me anyway, he's a little too okay with it.

#13 Posted by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

I am agree =)

#14 Posted by Sammo21 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap: Batman using a gun, period, disturbs me.

#15 Posted by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sammo21: for that reason is a great moment, doing something that he would never do, like Spider-man revealing his indentity, is a sacrifice for a greater good, that is what heroes do...

#16 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

The story line involving Plastic Man is one I definitely remember. I thought it was unique to say the least, a nice twist on the time travel concept. Not certain if it was one of the most memorable or kick ass moments but it was a good one.

#17 Posted by Sammo21 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool: IF that's the case then it needs a better writer to do something special with it and not the garbage that was in Final Crisis...and with Darkseid.

#18 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm disliking this list more and more....

Its still good don't get me wrong, but I was hoping for better IMO

#19 Edited by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Surfer: Requiem and Watchmen issue 04 should be in the top-ten...

Edit: Also Amazing Fantasy 15, because comics should not be about Badass scenes, is about fictional heroes that improve people's lifes, that give us lessons about what is right.

#20 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@DXmagma said:

These are certainly moments in comic books.

That they are, a good deal of these wouldn't make my personal list, but of course my taste leans a good deal more indy/heady. Stuff like Wolverine/Cyke's fight in Schism or Bats shooting Darkseid wouldn't make my top 500.

#21 Posted by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sammo21 said:

@Deadcool: IF that's the case then it needs a better writer to do something special with it and not the garbage that was in Final Crisis...and with Darkseid.

Actually Final Crisis is not listed, just Batman using the Gun...

#22 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio

darn you you ruined sandman for me *^%$$^&&%$%$$

#23 Posted by Sammo21 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool: No, but the scene is from there and the picture is associated. Context is everything.

#24 Posted by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sammo21:Not necessarily, that scene by itself is SO powerful.

#25 Posted by Sammo21 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool: You're either trolling me at this point or I seriously don't want to live on this planet anymore. Either way, we can't agree on this so there's no point to discuss it anymore.

#26 Posted by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sammo21 said:

You're either trolling me at this point or I seriously don't want to live on this planet anymore. Either way, we can't agree on this so there's no point to discuss it anymore.

DAMN!!! Why everybody thinks that I am always trolling people, NO MAN I AM NOT TROLLING I AM GIVING MY OPINION!!

Damn, I mean, yeah, we don't share the same opinion, but DAMN, my opinion should not be important for you, my opinion if you don't share it, SHOULD not be important, is just my word...

#27 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

24 I hate, the rest I love

#28 Posted by JediXMan (30344 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice choices. I rather like this list.

Which makes it rather sad to say that I saw a mistake: the baby in Sandman was named Daniel, not David. He's called David twice in this article.

#29 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sammo21: Right but this not Batman using a gun, period. :)

#30 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

@PikminMania: Yeah this is nothing to do with an "all-time" list - everything is from the modern age thus far - moderators / compilers or whoever need to expand their horizons

#31 Posted by MooseyMcMan (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, Batman KILLED Darkseid? With a gun no less? I thought "modern" Batman didn't kill...Or use guns (I recognize that olde timey Batman used guns). I guess I should just read more comics.

#32 Posted by obscurefan (274 posts) - - Show Bio

I really agreed with a lot of your earlier ones nominees on this list, but these particular ten I'm kind of lukewarm on. Some of them, sure, they belong up here, but I don't know about the other half. But hey, these are just opinions and I can understand your arguments.

#33 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@MooseyMcMan said:

Wait, Batman KILLED Darkseid? With a gun no less? I thought "modern" Batman didn't kill...Or use guns (I recognize that olde timey Batman used guns). I guess I should just read more comics.

Again, he did not kill him. Darkseid had already been dead for days, killed by his son, according to the Source's Prophecy (in freakin' Countdown because that is how you pay respect to the King).

#34 Posted by Jayso4201 (595 posts) - - Show Bio

They are gettin' better every week! some really good ones this week!

#35 Posted by fables87 (977 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandman and Fables made the list :)

#36 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@walkingcarpet: Batman holding a gun...One more time Morrison chooses to show his own version of a hero acting in a way of total disrespect to the hero's origin, saga etc. Well, not my favourite moment.

#37 Posted by SuperDoahBoy (134 posts) - - Show Bio

I totally flipped out when I read JLA #76 where Plastic Man survived on the ocean floor for 3,000 years. I gained a new found respect for Plastic Man after reading that, and I totally said "WOW!" after reading that and turning the page.

#38 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

#21 and #24 are the best.

#39 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

I still believe that number 1 will be ... danhimself starts reading comics!!!....imo it's the greatest thing to happen to comics EVER!

#40 Posted by dannymalt (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Suggestion for greatest comic book moment list. Issue 48 of Walking Dead where the big prison battle happens and they are forced to flee, and tons of main characters die, including:

The Governor, Lori (Rick's Wife), Judy (Rick's Infant Daughter), Hershel, and many others.
#41 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@Baddamdog said:

Oh dear, maybe I shouldn't of read this, was spoiled on both Fables and Sandman, eeeshhh

Same. Mostly Fables. Actually only Fables. :D

#42 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr said:

@walkingcarpet: Batman holding a gun...One more time Morrison chooses to show his own version of a hero acting in a way of total disrespect to the hero's origin, saga etc. Well, not my favourite moment.

The thing is, there is no Morrison's Batman. What Morrison did was take the modern Batman (basically O'Neil's interpretation of the character, reworked by Englehart, Miller, Moore, Milligan, Loeb, Rucka, Brubaker, DeMatteis, Dixon, Grant, Moench and so on) and reintroduce in a darker more realistic tone elements from the Silver Age.

All Star Goddamn Batman is Miller's crappy new version of the character but what Morrison has been doing is completely different.

Batman is not just holding a gun. Morrison knows very well Batman would never use a gun or kill someone. This is not a rookie mistake. What it is a representation of Batman striking the ultimate evil, its very essence in the body of Dan Turpin as well as each and every human being infected by anti-life.

#43 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

great list Batman using guns tsk tsk

#44 Posted by The Impersonator (5383 posts) - - Show Bio

Another great list!

#45 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap: I won't disagree at all, but you think he couldn't present it in another way? Isn't it cocky for a Batman writer showing Bruce holding a gun? I don't know. I mean I totally respect your well put opinion, but honestly Morrison's been doing it in many heroes. Anyone can notice it. He loves changing everything showing total disrespect to previous work. Of course I won't say all of his runs on Batman etc aren't good. I'm not that much of a Morrison hater. Anyway, I liked the way you dealt with the matter. Take care. You do know Batman, I'll give you that!

#46 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr said:

@DarthShap: I won't disagree at all, but you think he couldn't present it in another way? Isn't it cocky for a Batman writer showing Bruce holding a gun? I don't know. I mean I totally respect your well put opinion, but honestly Morrison's been doing it in many heroes. Anyone can notice it. He loves changing everything showing total disrespect to previous work. Of course I won't say all of his runs on Batman etc aren't good. I'm not that much of a Morrison hater. Anyway, I liked the way you dealt with the matter. Take care. You do know Batman, I'll give you that!

I was just curious as to what other characters you felt that Morrison has changed completely and in a disrespectful way? I respect what you're saying but was just interested as to who else he's done this with as i can't really see that in his work.

#47 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr said:

Saying Morrison is cocky is an understatement but usually it does not bother me because most of the time, he can back it up.

On that particular subject however, I do not find it cocky. When writing such a scene, I just think he hopes his faithful readers will understand what he meant.

I disagree with him "He loves changing everything showing total disrespect to previous work". That is Azzarello's way of doing things, not Morrison's. On the contrary, his work on Animal Man, 52, JLA, Seven Soldiers, Final Crisis, Batman, All-Star Superman and Action Comics to name a few are filled with references to the work of others. So much so in the case of Batman and Final Crisis that a lot of people found it difficult to understand because they lacked the background.

#48 Posted by TransgressionsofSociety (195 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm.... I wonder how they judge what is the best or not...

#49 Posted by Rowen545 (378 posts) - - Show Bio

@Baddamdog said:

Yea I had the same moment when I got to Sandman

#50 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@MooseyMcMan said:

1. Nah,He didn't killed he, almost but no, Supes finished the work but just the body, his soul survived and then he revive or something alike blah, blah, blah, blah
  2. Life is a paradox, Batman dying with an arm in his hands, all an irony