• 62 results
#1 Edited by BlackWind (7051 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, how "overrated" is a thinly disguised way of saying, "I just don't like this character."

I personally am getting more than a bit tired of the, "X character is a human, so they're better and more relatable and realistic" being used as a cheap way to put down other characters. Newsflash! Being a human alone doesn't make you relatable. And if you're looking for realism, then go out on your porch and watch kids fail at parkour and try to dodge traffic.

#2 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, how "overrated" is a thinly disguised way of saying, "I just don't like this character."

I personally am getting more than a bit tired of the, "X character is a human, so they're better and more relatable and realistic" being used as a cheap way to put down other characters. Newsflash! Being a human alone doesn't make you relatable. And if you're looking for realism, then go out on your porch and watch kids fail at parkour and try to dodge traffic.

Ugh, so much this.

#3 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

The Term overrated infuriates me, even though i've used it sometimes , but specifically on writers or movies. when it comes to character i just say I HATE THIS GUY. and as a hulk fan it makes me seriously angry when people make the excuses that the only reason hulk is strong is because he is OVERRATED! BuLL! CR*P!

#4 Edited by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

"Epic" people throw that around too much.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34343 posts) - - Show Bio

PIS

Because there's no such thing

#6 Edited by longbowhunter (7511 posts) - - Show Bio

I despise the word epic. It should be used to described something larger than life and I more commonly hear it used in reference to beards or sandwiches. Stop it! Everyone likes to look back at the 90's and how everything was "extreme" and giggle. Yet here we are wearing out another word and making it ridiculous.

#7 Edited by Sky_Pirate2 (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Rip-off, emo and hipster.

I keep seeing them being used by folk, who clearly don't know the meaning of them.

#8 Edited by LimpoyzLoan (1646 posts) - - Show Bio

QFT. If you're gonna talk crap about a character, just say you hate them and give reasons why, instead of just saying he is overrated. It's such a pathetic attempt to save their own ass from the fanboys.

#9 Posted by Johnni_Kun (289 posts) - - Show Bio

PIS

I'm going to have to agree with this.

#10 Posted by The Stegman (25522 posts) - - Show Bio

"spite" because people on here use it incorrectly.

Also, ripoff and the word "like" when used as a, like, filler word.

#11 Posted by sagejonathan (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate it when people say something is "dope." Just no. Stop it or leave the room; I don't want you near me.

#12 Posted by Xwraith (20574 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen "autistic is the new retarded" a lot. Well it shouldn't be.

#13 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate it when people say something is "dope." Just no. Stop it or leave the room; I don't want you near me.

Dope.

Dope.

Dope.

Is this irritating? Or is it dope?

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (58269 posts) - - Show Bio

Disagree with overrated and PIS, agree with epic.

BB

#15 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

PIS

I knew this would come up in the thread. I wholeheartedly disagree, mind you, but I did expect to see someone say it :P

#16 Edited by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

I despise the word epic. It should be used to described something larger than life and I more commonly hear it used in reference to beards or sandwiches. Stop it! Everyone likes to look back at the 90's and how everything was "extreme" and giggle. Yet here we are wearing out another word and making it ridiculous.

Dude have you ever had a philly cheesesteak?!?!?!

Epicness in sandwich form.

#17 Posted by cameron83 (7628 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1542 posts) - - Show Bio

Swag

Noob (only noobs say it)

With Prep (it doesn't matter in the end, batman would still lose)

Awesome! (unless you are talking about size)

Epic (nothing is really all that epic)

Racist (damnit we all are in a way) :)

#19 Posted by Chaos Burn (1787 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually intrigued. I don't know whether it'd be on-topic or should be turned into a new thread, but as a person who uses PIS frequently and vehemently hates the things to which I refer when I use that term, I want to know what people who say "there's no such thing" actually mean. How else would you describe the things which PIS is used to denote?

I'm not saying it's not sometimes misused by people who just want a cop-out way of dismissing a legitimate story (because that definitely happens). But there's a difference between saying that people misuse the term, and saying there's "no such thing."

#21 Posted by longbowhunter (7511 posts) - - Show Bio

@tacos_kickass: There's a local baked potato delivery place I order Phillies from all the time. There are plenty of other adjectives I could use to describe the sandwich. Epic will never be one of them. It needs to be retired from the lexicon until it once again gains proper meaning.

#22 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6521 posts) - - Show Bio

Feminazi. It's just used to try and make people fighting for equal rights sound like bad people.

Actually the word 'Nazi' in general is used too often.

#23 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5874 posts) - - Show Bio

Butthurt: Makes me think of anal bleeding.

Anyway, Man of Steel is gonna be Epic! The effects look Dope, I just hope they can provide a story free of Pis, because that would be Awesome! Hope they never introduce Doomsday, That guy is Overrated, Swag.

#24 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Bigot: Used for anyone who thinks outside of the 'politically correct box of thought' on the Off-Topic forum.

Racist: It's a term most frequently used by other racists.

Win or Winning: Too many posters fancy themselves as Charlie Sheen.

Overrated: Used to say something sucks, and I certainly use this from time to time. Have a delicious thread happening right now in fact where people are raging over my use of the term.

#25 Edited by Med (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Mainstream. It's a very proud word. It's like saying you're 'better' than the majority of people. Like you're the only adult on a planet of stupid children. It riles my jimmies.

#26 Edited by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5227 posts) - - Show Bio

Get Pwnd Noob! Seriously you should get punched in the mouth for even uttering this nonsense.

#27 Posted by w0nd (3904 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@blackwind said:

Ugh, so much this.

this is how i feel, I'm sorry batman does super human things, but he is called human so you accept him as human even though he clearly has done things like kick the hulk and caused the wind to come out of him. He is far from human at this point lol

I also hate when people say "it needs to be more dark" if it's a light upbeat character like sonic the hedgehog or Kirby or character that has no business being dark at all.

#28 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

You sound like an angry Superman fan mad at Batman fans.

#29 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6294 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by Racob7 (6003 posts) - - Show Bio

#31 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6310 posts) - - Show Bio

A movie or show is better because it's "serious"

#32 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1292 posts) - - Show Bio

PIS AND OVERATED. Overated is just a way of saying you don't like this character. Everything in comics is done to advance plot therefore the term PIS makes no sense to me, it's just a way of saying you are unhappy with the way your favorite character was portrayed.

..Oh and it bugs me when people say "realistically." Literally nothing that happens in comics is realistic, please don't say realistically."

#33 Posted by Pokeysteve (8551 posts) - - Show Bio

Swag

Noob (only noobs say it)

With Prep (it doesn't matter in the end, batman would still lose)

Awesome! (unless you are talking about size)

Epic (nothing is really all that epic)

Racist (damnit we all are in a way) :)

This is just soooo full of truth. It's just oozing correctness.

#34 Posted by BlackWind (7051 posts) - - Show Bio

Spite I se used.incorrectly a lot. A spite thread isn't something that's onesided. A spite thread is when the OP knowingly puts a character they dislike against someone who would defeat them because of, yes, spite.

#35 Posted by XImpossibruX (5184 posts) - - Show Bio

Hater.

When someone makes valid criticism of why something is bad, is instantly called a hater as a cop-out.

#36 Edited by RDClip (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree with overrated. It is possibly the most overused word in fandom

Another is people wanting every character to be rebooted to be 'dark and gritty'. You know what else is dark and gritty? Sand in your bumhole.

#37 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Hater.

When someone makes valid criticism of why something is bad, is instantly called a hater as a cop-out.

this

#38 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

I'm actually intrigued. I don't know whether it'd be on-topic or should be turned into a new thread, but as a person who uses PIS frequently and vehemently hates the things to which I refer when I use that term, I want to know what people who say "there's no such thing" actually mean. How else would you describe the things which PIS is used to denote?

I'm not saying it's not sometimes misused by people who just want a cop-out way of dismissing a legitimate story (because that definitely happens). But there's a difference between saying that people misuse the term, and saying there's "no such thing."

For me I think the term is applied a bit too haphazardly in the Battle Forums. What is one person's PIS is another's Holy Grail in there. I suggest you set every sense to acute when browsing through that area of the Vine (leave behind inedible markers so you have a way back out).

#40 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind said:

Well said. I particularly hate the realism argument. Peter Parker is relatable because he's destitute and dates a supermodel!!

#42 Posted by RustyRoy (13554 posts) - - Show Bio

Realistic, Overrated, PIS.

#43 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

The "alphabet".

I am sick and tired of seeing it manipulated into incomprehensible incoherent slices of mashed up letters which are then hurled at innocent, logical people who valiantly address these grotesque attempts of misinformation and misrepresentation in the Off-Topic Forum...

**pauses to wipe away tears of silent rage with trembling hands**

It's a horror...no..no, it's more a tragedy. It's like trying to make sense of the nonsensical.

#44 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh god I'm guilty so many levels!

#45 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh god I'm guilty so many levels!

**lobs snot-filled tissues at you**

#46 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind said:

Well said. I particularly hate the realism argument. Peter Parker is relatable because he's destitute and dates a supermodel!!

I always thought that spectacular was much more relatable than the actual comic book version. Plus current Peter is kind of a wanker so all thous elements are pretty much gone anyways.

#47 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@akbogert said:

For me I think the term is applied a bit too haphazardly in the Battle Forums. What is one person's PIS is another's Holy Grail in there. I suggest you set every sense to acute when browsing through that area of the Vine (leave behind inedible markers so you have a way back out).

And that's fine... but "applied a bit too haphazardly" is still a far cry from saying "there's no such thing" and folks continue to insist that. I doubt very much I will be convinced to stop using it, but it'd be nice if someone at least tried to explain to me its ostensible nonexistence.

#48 Posted by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: Well, I am not sure how the other poster applied it, but I am a person who disagrees with the term PIS as a real meaningful thing, whilst also recognizing its value as a subjective social construct. Plot induced stupidity is just a lazy term really that is usually invoked in cases of inconsistency and usually because of the plot and or writers discretion. How does one apply the stupid context? Its a bit problematic since such a term/concept can differ subjectively, and be applied as such. I mean if there was a thread of greatest PIS moments (and there is probably one) it would be pretty easy for a smart and creative person to go in and explain how the scene may not be that stupid and or alternatively a smart and knowledgable person could take most scenes in comics and explain how the scene could be very very stupid due to plot reasons. Additionally a lot of well referenced PIS moments usually had some context that most readers were not aware of and or has some writer explanation justification that bridges the perception of PIS to what was meant to happen. Another aspect is what some people consider stupid? Others consider silly, and many writers and fans are okay with a bit of silly, but some aren't and they in turn use a term like stupid.

If there is stupidity and inconsistency in a comic or in anything, I personally think its better to just actually say why and how, as an example - "X-23 in Avengers Arena acting like an impulsive unprepared inexperienced dolt is inconsistent with her main bulk of portrayals and characterization, and we can see this is probably due to the writer wishing to advance the main plot and create a sense of tension and fear for readers as well as put the other characters in a difficult spot, which aren't bad objectives, just the use of X-23 and mischaracterization and misrepresentation of the characters skills and abilities undermine the overall effect for those not ignorant on the character" versus "X-23 in that book was PIS" which may be accurate depending on a persons definition but that claim is so watery. So many people can invoke it on whim and whim alone which combined with depending on a persons ability to define something as stupid can lead to situations where good books are full of PIS depending on the criteria applied (knowing about genetics rendering X-23's origin story stupid and PIS, knowledge of physics rendering characters like Galactus stupid and PIS or maybe just silly and or suspending disbelief) makes the term a bit useless, unless used as short hand to start conversation rather than a term used to end conversation which many often try to do in Battles/Versus threads - which even then never works well since people want to know why something is PIS. Heh heh.

Hope that helps shed light.

#49 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc This comment has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of discussion but Sweet Christmas man, every time I see one of your replies, it's like a college dissertation xD

#50 Edited by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really hate terms used liberally but I can list things i find a bit odd. Oh and I agree with both the assertions of things being overrated and underrated, because they are usually applied wrong and on top of that it is actually possible for things to be both underrated and overrated and there are terms like polarizing that can often be used independently since depending on what subgroups you are speaking of you can have situations where some sub groups of a large group overrate something where as other subgroups find the thing underrated, where as the thing they are talking about is very polarizing leading to situations where sincere objective accurate statements about a things worth are lacking in favor of exaggeration, in both the negative and positive but not accurateness.

I find the word rape used in Versus threads or context weird, mainly because CV has weird sensitivity and gender issues that some people seem oblivious to. I remember one poster asserting that the general sense in that forum wasn't gender biased (was when the word was considered being banned), yet at one time a thread with a fake girl using the image of a tumblr famous hipster girl asking for a You VS Me situation got 10 times as many replies as comparable male created You vs Me threads with no cute girl avatar and the replies were a lot creepier as well as well as not so subtle attempts at flirting. Thats not a bad thing, just sort of makes me think people can be naive online and so still maturing and developing attitudes towards genders and things like rape and its consequences. I don't know, but I probably wouldn't be as weirded out by people suing that word if I knew every poster volunteered at shelters for people abused, beaten, molested and raped and so on. Oh and I am aware the word can and has been used in other ways, but just the context of its application is what is odd to me.

Rip off is another funny word/term to me too, since no character or ideas exists in a bubble. Superman isn't one hundred percent brand new, original and revolutionary as far as fictional characters, and thats okay, it doesn't undermine his reputation as the first superhero, if anything it enhances it. Creative people don't try and hide behind a wall of pretension claiming that all their ideas came to them in isolation and dreams because they never watched TV or read books or interacted with any sources that may have inspired ideas or thoughts bar their own genius. Creative people are more open and sincere talking about inspirations. Grant Morrison for example is one of comics greatest writers and look at how he created a character like Fantomex. If you don't see where or how characters were derived from other things, its probably more likely you are ignorant of how a creator imagined them rather than them springing Athena style from a creators forehead.