#1 Edited by JonSmith (3809 posts) - - Show Bio

Think about all that's happened in the last ten years, just in comics. Imagine describing these things to your younger self. Off the top of my head, just from Marvel: Annihilation, Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion, House of M/Decimation, Schism, AvX, Age of Ultron, and now Infinity, with Avengers extending their reach to other worlds entirely.

So turn the clock's back. Imagine telling your younger self about all these events, from both Marvel and DC. Doesn't even have to be an event really, if you want to tell your younger self about something minor, like Superior Spider-Man, or such. Would the younger you believe it? And if so, how would it effect younger you's reaction to comics? And where do you think the comic universes will be in ten years time?

#2 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, if I could go back and have a conversation with my younger self it sure as hell wouldn't be about comics.

On topic. Yes, comics have always been a medium where anything can and will happen. So, my younger self probably wouldn't be that blown away. "One More Day" might make me scratch my head though

#3 Edited by phisigmatau (433 posts) - - Show Bio

the cinematic universe shift were alot more jaw dropping to me then whats happened in the comics.

i remember reading about the avengers iniative 10 years ago and although being a huge Thor fan, very skeptical. boy was I wrong.

#4 Posted by Dm225 (289 posts) - - Show Bio

If someone would have told me they would kill off Peter Parker and put Doc Ock in his body I would have laughed my butt off and called them an idiot.

#5 Edited by SheenLantern (5325 posts) - - Show Bio

I was 5 ten years ago.

#6 Edited by Xwraith (10886 posts) - - Show Bio

@dm225 said:

If someone would have told me they would kill off Peter Parker and put Doc Ock in his body I would have laughed my butt off and called them an idiot.

#7 Posted by PotatoOfDoom (491 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (9874 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be shocked as hell. But I was also 10 ten years ago so I probably would have cried.

#9 Posted by AllStarSuperman (15758 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd tell myself to buy Invincible, Walking Dead, and Other comics that came out to be worth $$$.

#10 Posted by Veshark (8521 posts) - - Show Bio

I always said that the 2010s are a great time to be a comic fan.

We get an actual hard reboot in the DC Universe, the release of landmark CBMs like Avengers and Man of Steel, lots of status quo changes with Marvel NOW, the reboot of Valiant, the rising popularity of indie titles like Saga, Fatale etc., TV shows like the Walking Dead and Agents.

Years from now, comic-book fans are gonna look back at this era and whether good or bad, there's no denying there's some historic sh*t going down.

#11 Posted by Lvenger (16042 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't properly into comics the way I have been 10 years ago but still I bet my younger self would never have thought that Spider-Man would get taken over by Doc Ock, that Superman would boringly walk across America and that Batman would be 'killed off.' Nonetheless, this has been a major turning point in the history of comic books. Landmark events such as the New 52 and Marvel NOW! have changed the face of current comics for years to come, alternative comic companies have experienced another rise in status, popularity, sales and diversity. Not to mention that in expanded media, the genre is spreading like the effective meme it is into TV and films. The profile of comic books has certainly changed in this past decade.

#12 Posted by patrat18 (6747 posts) - - Show Bio

@dm225 said:

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (13684 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't such a big fan 10 years ago but if I have told myself that Spider-Man would be replaced by Doctor Octopus in his body and everything that has happened in Marvel I would be really surprised and probably would've quit reading their books.

#14 Posted by trebean (608 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by ComicStooge (9674 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Wolverine08 (26575 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't reading comics. Didn't even know how to read.

#17 Posted by Deadgod (1093 posts) - - Show Bio

@patrat18 said:

@dm225 said:

#18 Edited by Akindoodle (853 posts) - - Show Bio

@sheenlantern said:

I was 5 ten years ago.

I was 6.

7. And 7 year old me was more concerned with JL(U) than actual comics. I likely wouldn't have cared until I heard that people my age died in comic books

#19 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

I was 6, so I probably wouldn't have cared back then.

#20 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (4515 posts) - - Show Bio

Maaan I feel old as hell everytime I come here. I was 20 years old ten years ago. The Ferret, Dinosaurs For Hire, Ultraforce, Nightman..what y'all youngstas know bout dat?!?

#21 Posted by 14NC3 (1569 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Squalleon (3002 posts) - - Show Bio

Ten years ago i was just starting into comics :-P

#23 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (2733 posts) - - Show Bio

I was 9.

I didn't get into comics until I was 18 :)

#24 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15916 posts) - - Show Bio

10 years ago I was 6 ( or, 7 I guess soon)

Have you any F*cking idea how hard it is to explain something to a 6 year old AcidSkull? You have no F*cking Idea. It took my mother 5-6 years to cram the importance of studying into my brain, you expect me to explain something this complicated( yes, complicated) to someone who can't speak properly? yeah, tough luck.

Rotten little twat, Wish I could smack him, me...whatever.

#25 Edited by frogdog (2995 posts) - - Show Bio

Ten years ago, I told myself spider-man wouldn't worst than the clone saga....

#26 Posted by HumanRocket (4852 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't reading comics ten years ago but its would be cray for me to believe that comicbook movies would have been so big as Batman trilogy the MU and MOS.

#27 Posted by CaptainHoopla (607 posts) - - Show Bio

Ten years ago I would never have guessed a comic book would be $3.99.

#28 Edited by MatKrenz (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

If I told my 9 year old self my favorite comic on the stand would be about a cannibal cop and my all time favorite comic character is a british mage bastard I wouldn't believe me.

#29 Edited by crash_ (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Gosh! A lot of teenagers here :) 10 years ago i wasn't much into comics to be truthful, Here's what i remember from 2003: Matrix movies, Kill Bill, Return of the king, Gangs of New York(I'm not certain if this one was out in 2003 though), US space shuttle crashes, Turkey win the eurovison, David Beckham transferred to Real Madrid, Ronaldinho to Barcelona, Abramovich took over Chelsea, I bought a PS2 and many, many other things.